• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

silva1991

Agree/Disagree: Its kind of a wasted turn to use buffs until you get party-wide buffs

If they lasted more turns when used on an individual I'd do em more but by palace 4 I was not bothering. Using your turn to Guard works perfectly fine against all the early/mid game big boss attacks as long as health is topped off.

They are never a waste, especially on harder modes where sometimes he need to cast defense on the weakest member or he/she will die the next turn.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
12/24

how long is this final mementos palace thibg

I'd say like 6 or 7 maps. They are large maps but usually half the map is used for a puzzle. It wasn't too bad. There are 2 save rooms from what I remember. You can get away with skipping some enemies if you want.

Griss

Finally beat it last night.

I have mixed feelings about it, which I'll save for the spoiler thread I suppose, but if I had to boil down my feelings to one single thing, I'd say it felt like a waste of my time. Hate saying that, but it's true. Glad to move on now.

I dunno what I expected

Last dungeon spoilers
Assuming you've already been to the end of normal mementos, what follows afterwards isn't very long at all compared to previous dungeons.

PK Gaming

It's made worse by the fact that it somehow manages to subvert a subversion back into a cliche.

Palace 7 spoilers -
When you first get Akechi, he's such a perfect party member with his bless, curse, and almighty skills. He's a perfect gentleman and his outfit is too clean and "nice." He just screams "Mary Sue." So when he showed his true colors, I thought it was a brilliant reversal of what he'd been built up to be the entire game. And then it goes a step further by having everyone in Tokyo love Akechi and praise him, and it turns out that that was his plan all along.

And then they go and ruin it by going out of their way to make the party forgive him and praise him despite everything he's done. Despite killing Haru's dad, and causing the mental shutdowns that plagued Tokyo for years and killed dozens of people, the game still expects you to think that Akechi's this smart, charming person who was just dealt a bad hand and is totally deserving of a 2nd chance... And then he gets a dramatic, self-sacrificing "redemption" moment that feels completely unearned.

His Berserker Armor and Loki designs were really cool, but man did they fuck up with him thematically.

The Phantom Thieves don't forgive him in the end (Haru explicitly mentions not forgiving him). They sympathize with him and see him as a victim, ultimately shifting the blame onto Shido. He's undoubtedly still responsible for the psychotic breakdowns, but when I look at Goro in the end, I don't see a smart and charming person who was dealt a bad hand in life, I see an extremely pitiful, selfish person who was wronged by a corrupt adult, and so desperately wanted to be loved by people that he engineered his own crimes to achieve celebrity status. My biggest issue with him is that he ultimately needed more development and that yeah, some of his dialogue was pretty on the nose.

12/24

how long is this final mementos palace thibg

xG8UVvA.jpg

PK Gaming

Agree/Disagree: Its kind of a wasted turn to use buffs until you get party-wide buffs

If they lasted more turns when used on an individual I'd do em more but by palace 4 I was not bothering. Using your turn to Guard works perfectly fine against all the early/mid game big boss attacks as long as health is topped off.

I agree with this. They're more useful on harder difficulties but even then, they were pretty niche.

This is why Heat Riser is incredibly overrated. It doesn't really have much of a point during the endgame, where it's more optimal to set up Matarukaja + Marukaja for your entire team then to have Haru or Joker waste a turn using it.

RalchAC

All mighty says "hi".

It's still really useful for most enemies. Almighty damage is mostly used by bosses, and most of the time it's just part of their special charged attack.

The way most enemies and your own party members weaknesses work (for example, an enemy weak to Zio can use Garu and viceversa), it's the perfect way to cover a party member weakness.

With Adhesive 3 she never runs out of SP.

gryvan

On harder difficulties, guard still wipes the entire party if either rakukaja or tarunda isnt set up. Ive learned this through my first playthroigh in hard mode and made it a habit to always either sac 1 for rakukaja or tarunda on boss before big aoe damage.

Crevox

Yes, Haru reflect is kind of OP. It's the reason that it makes
The Reaper
go berserk if you use it during his fight. One could argue that it makes the fight easier when he goes berserk... but that's up for you to decide.

In a lot of cases, you can hit bosses for extremely large amounts of damage using the reflect. Haru spending one turn putting up physical reflect on someone, then having them get hit by a boss attack, can do more damage than she could've done on that turn otherwise while also stopping damage... it's a win-win. The most I've reflected is 1250 damage from one attack. This was on hard mode, no idea how difficulty scaling effects reflected damage (it could be stronger on hard).

It's to the point that she might as well just spend every turn putting up reflects, cause as long as they get used, they were worth using. The only time this changes is late game when she becomes a damage powerhouse.

Verder

Ain't gonna lie though I totally think (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR 7th palace ending )
that Goros berserker armor and Loki persona was super badass . Bummed they didn't go more into it. Why his quick 5 min battle persona design better then everyone else's 2nd awakening persona ? Ugh

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh my god, unless the game throws a major curveball at me schedule wise I think I might just be able to finish the game with all links maxed out on my first play through with like weeks to spare.

I am at 11/13 and I expect that after I send the palace 6 card
the prologue shit will happen
so I have that taken into account.

This makes me incredibly happy since I kinda have a self imposed ritual every persona game where I refuse to enter the final boss room without lucifer in my stock.

Code:
I thought the game was gonna end 4 times.

I remember thinking that I'd finally beaten Persona 4 and had that feeling of "it's over at last, I feel complete".
Credits roll, positive ending cutscene and all.

Then I went on the internet and found out there was another dungeon.

Crevox

Tarukaja + rampage is really good on the palace 2 boss.

Recipe to success in every persona game: buff damage, debuff defense, (charge), use multi-hit physical move. This usually pushes your DPS on bosses above the general standard the game expects and skips phases.

Spells can't compete damage-wise (sadly) until end game.

Main story beats, not really, except for some really late ones that can decide the ending.

In confidants, yeah, there are "correct responses" that you must pick if you want to level them up much more efficiently.
oh god this game has multiple endings?

so how do i know when a response matters and when i can just pick whatever response with no difference?
You'll gain Guts or Charm or Knowledge, etc. if you choose one dialogue option over another.

Also, when hanging out with someone, you'll notice that depending on your choice, 1, 2 or 3 notes can pop. So choosing a certain answer will give you more points, raising your S. Link with that person faster. Also, carrying a Persona of the same Arcana as that person (say, Chariot when hanging out with Ryuji) will also make your S. Link progress faster.
but how can i tell when the conversation matters and when it doesn't?

i am asking this question after answering that question about the philosopher on my first day in class..i googled it lol to pick the right answer before moving forward.

JCX

Pretty sure a youtube image for Blooming Villain. To be fair though, I assumed the guy was either a party member or an enemy, and since he wasn't in character art, I guess it had to be the latter. Still a bit bummed though.

Crevox

so how do i know when a response matters and when i can just pick whatever response with no difference?

It will usually say something like "Am I really sure I'm making the right decision...?" or "I should choose my words carefully..." and ask for a second confirmation. Either that, or be really really obvious that you're making a sketchy choice. In terms of endings, these important decisions are only a few in the late end of the game.

Jachaos

i am asking this question after answering that question about the philosopher on my first day in class..i googled it lol to pick the right answer before moving forward.

The multiple endings is decided by dialogue choices at a specific point late in the game. The game will tell you to save beforehand, don't worry about it.

As for knowing which choices matter in general, it's tough to say because you can get stat points and social link points in pretty much any situation. However, one where they ALWAYS matter is when spending time with someone (you know, when there's a card over their head, you talk to them, hang out and increase the social link)

brian!

Press on the touchpad for quiz answers homie

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I didn't even know there was a scripted moment in the 2nd palace boss encounter until my brother told me :p

gryvan

Ain't gonna lie though I totally think (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR 7th palace ending )
that Goros berserker armor and Loki persona was super badass . Bummed they didn't go more into it. Why his quick 5 min battle persona design better then everyone else's 2nd awakening persona ? Ugh

Please be excited for P5 golden where its permanent

Crevox

I didn't even know there was a scripted moment in the 2nd palace boss encounter until my brother told me :p

Yeah, I'm sure I missed a couple myself. This is besides the (3rd palace spoilers)
3rd palace boss, I said "no" when it asked me to throw an item
. No idea what it does, but it sounded like a horrible idea, especially when I had no trouble dealing with it normally.

wait...there is? What is it?
Yeah, I'm sure I missed a couple myself. This is besides the (3rd palace spoilers)
. No idea what it does, but it sounded like a horrible idea, especially when I had no trouble dealing with it normally.
I did that the first time around, if I remember correctly all that happens is
he jumps down to get the item and gets run over, same as punching him off the top

gryvan

That boss on hard mode, i did throw it once so he doesnt do his big damage because i was not prepared and/or finished setting up tarunda or marakujajas...he wipes you even with guard...

Zesh

Even on Hard, I never bothered with buffs until party-wide ones were available. Debuffs have been very useful the entire game, though -- Tarunda and Rakunda early on, and Debilitate later on.

I don't like Heat Riser either; I just opt for Matarukaja + Marakukaja. Starting fights with a persona with all three auto party-wide buffs also helps a lot.

The multiple endings is decided by dialogue choices at a specific point late in the game. The game will tell you to save beforehand, don't worry about it.

As for knowing which choices matter in general, it's tough to say because you can get stat points and social link points in pretty much any situation. However, one where they ALWAYS matter is when spending time with someone (you know, when there's a card over their head, you talk to them, hang out and increase the social link)
i got you. huh, spending time with people in this game must be important seeing as how there's a whole nother OT for it, lol
Press on the touchpad for quiz answers homie

ohh man they give you answers with the touchpad? that's no fun

gryvan

I do love sukukaja occasionally especially if enemies have debilitate on. That miss makes you go all tingly and not worry about heals

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat it last night.

I have mixed feelings about it, which I'll save for the spoiler thread I suppose, but if I had to boil down my feelings to one single thing, I'd say it felt like a waste of my time. Hate saying that, but it's true. Glad to move on now.

Last dungeon spoilers
Assuming you've already been to the end of normal mementos, what follows afterwards isn't very long at all compared to previous dungeons.

I hear you. It just goes on and on and doesn't know when to call it quits. I have never played a game before that's shown such complete disregard for my time. I spent almost ten hours in ONE palace, listening to the same shitty pop tune over and over till my nose bled.

I loved it for the first 60 hours, then that love turned to hate, and I've never been happier to be done with a game.

Devs need to quit it with this fooling the player to think it's over shit. This game could have been half the length, and been much better for it. The dialogues could have been cut with a cleaver as well. Every character doesn't have to say some useless garbage in every single damn scene just to make sure we know they're there. There's just so much boring chatter I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it in the end.

Kyrios

In my first playthrough I never swapped my party after Futaba joined. I had zero chance at that trophy.

I'll probably go grind it out in mementos or palace 6 NG+

Yeah same here. I seriously think I was close.

If I actually used Aketchi I'd probably have it by the end of my first playthrough

vareon

GAF, I'm at 12/24 after a LONG story sequence. Questions (major possibly endgame spoilers).

I just got back from Velvet room after meeting my friends and true Igor. About to head to the temple thingy in the middle of Shibuya. Is this it? I don't have any more chance to maximize social links whatsoever? Asking this because I only played Persona 4 Golden before and there are events until February and such.

Felt bad because I have a lot of Social link events, even for the party.

Guess Who

Banned
GAF, I'm at 12/24 after a LONG story sequence. Questions (major possibly endgame spoilers).

I just got back from Velvet room after meeting my friends and true Igor. About to head to the temple thingy in the middle of Shibuya. Is this it? I don't have any more chance to maximize social links whatsoever? Asking this because I only played Persona 4 Golden before and there are events until February and such.

Felt bad because I have a lot of Social link events, even for the party.

This is, indeed, it.

Top Bottom