• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Guess Who

Banned
Ah, so palace 7 end-boss spoilers -- I'm kinda stuck.
So, I don't know how to fight this thing, by default you can't hit the boss with physical attacks or gun attacks, so you hit him hard with all the magic you've got.
Occasionally he'll hit you're whole party with an attack that can enrage them, if it enrages you, you automatically go in for the attack, you get one-hit, game over. This happened twice, so I swapped out the SP regen accessory for a medium physical resistance accessory, because I don't have any rage resistance stuff, so considering I'm just hitting myself with physical, this is probably doing something positive.
Then he casts a Magic Wall, and now I can't attack him at all, I went about 6 or 7 rounds just blocking and healing (occasionally testing if anything would work), it didn't. I'm baffled, I genuinely don't know how to beat this thing, I can't get an attack in. Do I have to just block until an event occurs? Just survive? No party member was commenting on it,
so I feel I'm missing something here. I'd consider just dropping the difficulty for the minute, but that wouldn't help me not being able to do damage, uh, help.
(Only mechanical spoilers in there, no names or anything too spoilery -- but just to be safe I tagged the whole thing)

For Magic Wall, just throw one magic attack at him and it breaks. For instance, Makoto has Nuclear skills and also blocks Nuclear, so if you Freidyne him, it'll hit and break his wall, reflect to Makoto, and then get nulled. Then your next party member can use magic again.

Opa-Pa

So, I don't know how to fight this thing, by default you can't hit the boss with physical attacks or gun attacks, so you hit him hard with all the magic you've got.
Occasionally he'll hit you're whole party with an attack that can enrage them, if it enrages you, you automatically go in for the attack, you get one-hit, game over. This happened twice, so I swapped out the SP regen accessory for a medium physical resistance accessory, because I don't have any rage resistance stuff, so considering I'm just hitting myself with physical, this is probably doing something positive.
Then he casts a Magic Wall, and now I can't attack him at all, I went about 6 or 7 rounds just blocking and healing (occasionally testing if anything would work), it didn't. I'm baffled, I genuinely don't know how to beat this thing, I can't get an attack in. Do I have to just block until an event occurs? Just survive? No party member was commenting on it,
so I feel I'm missing something here. I'd consider just dropping the difficulty for the minute, but that wouldn't help me not being able to do damage, uh, help.
(Only mechanical spoilers in there, no names or anything too spoilery -- but just to be safe I tagged the whole thing)

There's nothing scripted in this fight, he'll change tactics when you've taken certain portions of his health but that's it,
you just have to do your best to take him down without dying or running out of SP (party switching ability is almost mandatory here)

Personally I never got my MC hit with rage, but I'd suggest putting Haru in the team so she's ready to help with Amrita shower. Yusuke's Masukukaja would help a lot too. Just know that having more than one buff on your party members at a time may make Shido cast dekaja to deactivate them.

The walls are easy though. For physical one equip a persona with null/repel phys and hit him, for magic wall hit him with a character who's immune to the element you're using.

Griss

I hear you. It just goes on and on and doesn't know when to call it quits. I have never played a game before that's shown such complete disregard for my time. I spent almost ten hours in ONE palace, listening to the same shitty pop tune over and over till my nose bled.

I loved it for the first 60 hours, then that love turned to hate, and I've never been happier to be done with a game.

Devs need to quit it with this fooling the player to think it's over shit. This game could have been half the length, and been much better for it. The dialogues could have been cut with a cleaver as well. Every character doesn't have to say some useless garbage in every single damn scene just to make sure we know they're there. There's just so much boring chatter I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it in the end.

Yeah. 30 hours of this would have been perfect.

So much of the dialogue was shitty repetition of plot points that were just experienced or opportunities to let every team member deliver the exact same cliched platitude.

gryvan

When he switches to magic resist, then he loses his null physical iirc. So you can probably hit him with all the physical you want.

It also helps to have haru to put on makarakan or tekarakan which he basically takes a huge chunk during that turn if he hits the corect person who has the reflect. (see himself take like 500 damage felt so good)

Edit:
If he just threw a makarakarn on himself, just use 1 magic and it'll disappear and you can keep pounding him with magic attacks

PK Gaming

The magic wall effect only lasts for a single attack. So have someone who is immune to their own element attack him, then keep pressing on.

Opa-Pa

Reading the complaints about the game being "50 hours too long" and whatnot is hilarious in my case because I'm 140 hours in, at the end of the game, and I procrastinated the final boss the entire afternoon yesterday because I simply can't get enough of the game and don't want it to end haha.

Not saying I'm right on this necessarily, but goes to show how much people can differ due to the series' formula being so special and perhaps messy.

Roussow

Cheers for the advice, ya'll!
Although I think some of you have far more foresight than I have when plotting out everyone's abilities, I dropped Haru's cure ailment ability because I'm a fucking idiot, I didn't realize throwing one attack at a magic wall would break it, unfortunately I've only got one or two people at 10, so I might have to let the eat a reflection, that's fine, plenty of revive items, plus Futaba at 10 helps. He didn't seem to lose his physical resistance when casting magic wall, but fuck -- this should be enough knowledge to get through this thing.
There were like
3 consecutive bosses before this
, I'm a touch burnt out doing the calling card immediately after the rest of the palace.

Cess007

Opposite, actually - it means whatever associated sun confidant rank you have, it's a sign that it's active.

I.e. the red money dialogue means more cash (though sometimes less than being able to ask twice), and same with the mask acquisition or getting a more rare item.

It means the demon will join you instantly without questions thanks to your Sun confidant skill. This applies to any option in red.

facepalm.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. And there I was, avoiding those options, 'cause I think it meant that I may fail the negotiation lol

Reading the complaints about the game being "50 hours too long" and whatnot is hilarious in my case because I'm 140 hours in, at the end of the game, and I procrastinated the final boss the entire afternoon yesterday because I simply can't get enough of the game and don't want it to end haha.

Not saying I'm right on this necessarily, but goes to show how much people can differ due to the series' formula being so special and perhaps messy.

Agree with this. Clocked in at the end at like 100 hours and I'm still upset that it's over.

remote play is an underrated feature on the Ps4. that should be a thread

remote playin now, I love the fact that I can enjoy this game so far away from my room. can't say far away from "home" since that's technically where i am

but anyways, this is like the most polished, turn-based jrpg that I've ever played. also my first persona.

for those of you that ever played Digimon world 2 on Ps1, this game reminds me of that because the in-game, gameplay cutscenes are just the avatars of the characters with dialogues next to them, sometimes often without any voice.

Atlus would do a great job remaking Digimon world 2, but the guys that did Cyber sleuth could probably just do it anywa.

Cheers for the advice, ya'll!
Although I think some of you have far more foresight than I have when plotting out everyone's abilities, I dropped Haru's cure ailment ability because I'm a fucking idiot, I didn't realize throwing one attack at a magic wall would break it, unfortunately I've only got one or two people at 10, so I might have to let the eat a reflection, that's fine, plenty of revive items, plus Futaba at 10 helps. He didn't seem to lose his physical resistance when casting magic wall, but fuck -- this should be enough knowledge to get through this thing.
There were like
3 consecutive bosses before this
, I'm a touch burnt out doing the calling card immediately after the rest of the palace.

Palace 7 boss mechanics spoilers
The magic wall skill is a one-time wall that you can crack, but the boss's physical/gun repel is an innate ability and can't be broken just by hitting the wall once. Your best bet for dealing with the rage/phys repel combo is to equip a persona that also repels physical damage; that way, if the MC ever gets afflicted with rage, he'll attack, the boss will reflect the phys damage, and then the MC reflects it back, so no one gets hit. Your other party members can still die to reflected physical attacks, but eh, just revive them afterwards.

Good luck!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I guess one reason the last palace's length and layout doesn't bother me like others here is because a certain part of Digital Devil Saga already got me used to long, bloated dungeons. So I was prepared lol

Zesh

I find it strange that people complain about the dungeon length. I've played for about 140 hours, and I'd guess that like 40 hours of that were spent in dungeons. I'd understand if all of it were in Mementos, but the dungeons are well-designed and varied enough that it didn't bother me.

I find it strange that people complain about the dungeon length. I've played for about 140 hours, and I'd guess that like 40 hours of that were spent in dungeons. I'd understand if all of it were in Mementos, but the dungeons are well-designed and varied enough that it didn't bother me.

The dungeon length issue is more of a product of the game itself being stupidly long.

hours have passed but the game does not end, free time has lost its effect on me

Really though why do you do this JRPG genre? is there like some kind of secret developer dick waving contest to see who can stretch out an endgame longer? I'm almost sure there must be at this point, I'll poll it on the phan site.
IN ANY CASE, I think the final boss is in front of me....I think

Yeah, everyone i see complaining really hard about the 2 most hated dungeons, they weren't my favorite but I enjoyed the game so much that I never really dreaded any of the dungeon sections. Though I enjoyed the random boring dungeons in P3&P4, and the bland dungeons in P1 even, so I guess my bar is set pretty low haha.

I also love that the Persona games are as long as they are, wouldn't get invested nearly as much if it was only a 30-40 hour game.

Zesh

The dungeon length issue is more of a product of the game itself being stupidly long.

I definitely agree that the game could be trimmed, but I'd cut the unnecessary repetition of the same dialogue over and over before cutting the dungeon length/amount of dungeons.

filthymitts

Neo Member
Yeah, everyone i see complaining really hard about the 2 most hated dungeons, they weren't my favorite but I enjoyed the game so much that I never really dreaded any of the dungeon sections. Though I enjoyed the random boring dungeons in P3&P4, and the bland dungeons in P1 even, so I guess my bar is set pretty low haha.

I also love that the Persona games are as long as they are, wouldn't get invested nearly as much if it was only a 30-40 hour game.
Even though the
spaceport
was high key a slogfest it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game because I actually like dungeon crawling in these games. Even going through Tartarus hit a point where I didn't dread it even though it's all the same thing.

I kind of think the length is refreshing since a lot of games want to hit that 40 hour mark so having something I can just sink a lot of time into makes me feel like I'm getting what I paid for.

long dungeons are very welcome. game has too many hands-off sections.
Yeah, a lot of games are too afraid of stretching their legs because they fear of short attention span from players. I wished there were more optional dungeons to test out op Persona.
The dungeon length issue is more a product of the game itself being stupidly long.
Not really. If a game wants to create a fleshed out world, it takes time to develop characters, activities and so on. In fact, the game should've been longer and they cut stuff because of people like you who don't like long games.
I definitely agree that the game could be trimmed, but I'd cut the unnecessary repetition of the same dialogue over and over before cutting the dungeon length/amount of dungeons.
Dungeons in future Persona games should feel more alive instead of just corridors and a puzzle.

duckroll

Did the Hawaii events. Was kinda whatever. Makoto date was good. Back in Japan. Plot's kicking in hard now. Looks like things are going to get reaaaaaaaaaally interesting.

Not really. If a game wants to create a fleshed out world, it takes time to develop characters, activities and so on. In fact, the game should've been longer and they cut stuff because of people like you who don't like long games.

I play mostly long games, but longer is not inherently better. Pacing matters and this game has plenty of problems when it comes to that. It doesn't justify its crazy length.

Roussow

I wonder if part of the dungeon length issue has to do with the fact that after like Palace 2 or 3 if you aren't one-shotting Palaces you feel like you're wasting precious time, especially considering (at least early on) you're committing a full day to the thing, if a Palace/Mementos trip didn't take up a full day I might not feel so bad about doing segments on off-days, and pacing it out a lot more with normal social link progress in-between, but playing like that isn't optimal in the time sensitive world of Persona.

Opa-Pa

I think that ultimately, despite some pacing issues with the story itself, what determines whether you end up sick of the game or not is how much you enjoy the different systems anyway. Many people I've seen complain about the dungeons don't even seem to enjoy combat or dungeon crawling in the first place and only see them as obstacles between them and social links.

The "game doesn't respect my time" thing doesn't apply to me and I can't agree because I enjoy the characters and I ADORE the combat and exploring the dungeons, so when the game gives me more and more of that content, as long as it isn't bad then I welcome it with open arms.

And let's not even talk about how many of the people comparing about dungeon lenght are also trying to one shot them all despite the game almost spelling out to you that running out of SP without those expensive adhesives means they were designed to be completed in chunks lol.

I guess one reason the last palace's length and layout doesn't bother me like others here is because a certain part of Digital Devil Saga already got me used to long, bloated dungeons. So I was prepared lol

I honestly loved everything in DDS except the high encounter rate while exploring dungeons, that was terrible, but P5's basically feel like bigger DDS-like dungeons without ramdom encounters anyway, so it's ideal for me.

I also enjoy the hell out of games like Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey, so dungeons with long stretches between save points, filled with enemies are my jam.

The actual dungeons I liked, for the most part. I think one of the palaces reuses a specific puzzle too many times, but other than that I enjoyed most of my time in those dungeons.

Mementos, on the other hand, put me to sleep multiple times.

Also I thought the pacing was pretty good, minus the time around Palace 5. I think P3/P4 both had worse pacing but I don't think they were bad at all because I also love those games so idk.

The actual dungeons I liked, for the most part. I think one of the palaces reuses a specific puzzle too many times, but other than that I enjoyed most of my time in those dungeons.

Mementos, on the other hand, put me to sleep multiple times.
I agree about mementos for sure. They should've done something way more interesting for players.

PK Gaming

I wonder if part of the dungeon length issue has to do with the fact that after like Palace 2 or 3 if you aren't one-shotting Palaces you feel like you're wasting precious time, especially considering (at least early on) you're committing a full day to the thing, if a Palace/Mementos trip didn't take up a full day I might not feel so bad about doing segments on off-days, and pacing it out a lot more with normal social link progress in-between, but playing like that isn't optimal in the time sensitive world of Persona.

Persona 5 is far too generous with its time as is, especially when compared to P3 and P4. You absolutely shouldn't be one-shotting Palaces just to squeeze some extra confidant days in unless it's something you can personally handle.

Zaru

I have to say, the game did disappoint me in how it treats its own combat system.

You have all these weaknesses to exploit, area spells vs single target spells, etc... and yet the bosses (except those from palace 2 and 5 I guess) are mostly single-target, no-resistance hitpoint behemoths where you just spam charged up physical attacks/spells until they fall.

So much more could have been done with it.

Roussow

I have to say, the game did disappoint me in how it treats its own combat system.

You have all these weaknesses to exploit, area spells vs single target spells, etc... and yet the bosses (except those from palace 2 and 5 I guess) are mostly single-target, no-resistance hitpoint behemoths where you just spam charged up physical attacks/spells until they fall.

The boss at the end of the second palace seems to have required the most strategy of all of them.

Astral

Is it normal to be 70 hours into the game and only on Palace 5? I feel like I've been playing at a pretty normal pace but at the same time it feels slow considering there's like
three
more palaces and I'm nearing my P4 completion time. Do you get less free time in between the last few palaces or something? And does the game skip some months?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it normal to be 70 hours into the game and only on Palace 5? I feel like I've been playing at a pretty normal pace but at the same time it feels slow considering there's like
three
more palaces and I'm nearing my P4 completion time. Do you get less free time in between the last few palaces or something? And does the game skip some months?

I was around 75 hours there and it took me 130 to beat but the average time to beat this seems to vary like crazy.

So I started NG+ and I'm about 9 or 8 days until the first deadline, already secured a route to the treasure. I wanna try to get max ranks on all confidants, but I noticed at this point that Ryuji is won't spend time with me. Should I just send the calling card now, or wait until the last possible minute

ShadyK54

10/26

Dayyyum, found/called out by Akechi! The stakes being shot up to 11 now!

Edit: Of course
I'll go with you to the after festival party, Makoto.

asagami_

Banned
So I started NG+ and I'm about 9 or 8 days until the first deadline, already secured a route to the treasure. I wanna try to get max ranks on all confidants, but I noticed at this point that Ryuji is won't spend time with me. Should I just send the calling card now, or wait until the last possible minute

First palace? I would send the card ASAP.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The time after beating a dungeon but before sending the calling card doesn't let you hang out with party members so yeah, do the calling card asap.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I hear you. It just goes on and on and doesn't know when to call it quits. I have never played a game before that's shown such complete disregard for my time. I spent almost ten hours in ONE palace, listening to the same shitty pop tune over and over till my nose bled.

I loved it for the first 60 hours, then that love turned to hate, and I've never been happier to be done with a game.

Devs need to quit it with this fooling the player to think it's over shit. This game could have been half the length, and been much better for it. The dialogues could have been cut with a cleaver as well. Every character doesn't have to say some useless garbage in every single damn scene just to make sure we know they're there. There's just so much boring chatter I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it in the end.

I don't think there is a shitty piece of music in this whole game.

The mainline SMT games have always been better with this, especially when it comes to bosses. SMT's press turn system is a lot less repetitive than Persona's one more turn system. You should check out Nocturne. Almost all of the bosses are really creative, and unique.

Top Bottom