• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Crevox

I did that. Every boss has a scripted moment like that.

Even (major end game spoiler)
Shido
? I definitely didn't see one for that.

And yeah, I never used Heat Riser. Auto-buffs are great, AoE buffs are nice, and Debilitate is potentially the most OP thing in the game for boss fights.

Just making a persona with a high AGI stat and all three auto-buffs is a big difference in power.

Rodin

Finished the game. One of the best JRPGs of all time and one of the best games i've ever played, now the series has a new fan.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
On harder difficulties, guard still wipes the entire party if either rakukaja or tarunda isnt set up. Ive learned this through my first playthroigh in hard mode and made it a habit to always either sac 1 for rakukaja or tarunda on boss before big aoe damage.

I did hard mode as well and you're right tarunda is necessary. But rakukaja only saves one (and the odd teammate who dodges lol) so I prefer debuff for sure.

wtf?! Wish I hadn't read that.

Doesn't work on exams. And of course its optional regardless.

LiK

Even (major end game spoiler)
Shido
? I definitely didn't see one for that.

And yeah, I never used Heat Riser. Auto-buffs are great, AoE buffs are nice, and Debilitate is potentially the most OP thing in the game for boss fights.

Just making a persona with a high AGI stat and all three auto-buffs is a big difference in power.

Actually, I'm having a hard time remembering if
Shido
had one. I was all hyped up during it.

Crevox

So why are the DLC costumes so ridiculously expensive? I kinda want the Catherine ones but for $7? Fuck.

It comes with costumes for multiple people, in addition to other things (battle theme).

I don't think $7 is abnormal as a microtransaction for something like this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So why are the DLC costumes so ridiculously expensive? I kinda want the Catherine ones but for $7? Fuck.

Japanese games seem to have no idea how to price shit. Namco has really dumb prices for Tales costumes too.

Even just from the free ones like the swimsuit set their implementation seems pretty meh. All out attack merges into the default outfit, you can only see them in dungeons, cutscenes don't show them. You're basically paying for a new battle theme, lol.

Astral

Japanese games seem to have no idea how to price shit. Namco has really dumb prices for Tales costumes too.

Even just from the free ones like the swimsuit set their implementation seems pretty meh. All out attack merges into the default outfit, you can only see them in dungeons, cutscenes don't show them. You're basically paying for a new battle theme, lol.

Yeah I was messing around with the free costumes and it's pretty lame considering how awesome the Phantom Thief outfits are.

I think I`ve reached the point of no return, just before
sending the last calling card
The last dungeon is a snoozefest, full of copy-pasted corridors. And your so-called rival is a literal copy of (P4 spoilers)
Adachi
. Like they didn´t even try to hide it.

I hope this will finish soon. This is by far the worst and most boring Persona game.

Hylian7

So can someone tell me if a few certain SMT demons are in this game?

Mastema
Lilith, and if so, which design?
Arioch
Demonee-Ho
Any of the new demons from SMTIV or Apocalypse
Trumpeter
Purple Mirror

Crevox

I hope this will finish soon.

Nope.

Also agreed on
Adachi
, way too similar. The corridor thing happens in other dungeons too.

Mastema
Arioch
Demonee-Ho
Trumpeter
Purple Mirror

No
Yes (Persona 3, 4)
No
No
No
Yes
No

Mastema
Arioch
Demonee-Ho
Trumpeter
Purple mirror
No
Yes (Old/Nocture design)
No
No
Not sure, but I think no.
Yes (and at a really low level)
No

Guess Who

Banned
I genuinely don't see what the similarity is between (P5)
Akechi
and (P4)
Adachi
besides
"you thought they were on your side, but actually they're a murderer."
Their personalities, behavior, motivations, methods, etc. are all very different.

Crevox

I genuinely don't see what the similarity is between (P5)
Akechi
and (P4)
Adachi
besides
"you thought they were on your side, but actually they're a murderer."
Their personalities, behavior, motivations, methods, etc. are all very different.

Both police detectives. Both end up killing people without caring. Both on your side, but actually turn out to be the murderer. Both act super nice, but turn out to be rotten. Akechi KINDA redeems himself.

This is very similar, especially when you consider such a connection cannot be made to Persona 3. Its basically a looped/reused plot point.

PK Gaming

The last dungeon is a snoozefest, full of copy-pasted corridors. And your so-called rival is a literal copy of (P4 spoilers)
Adachi

I hope this will finish soon. This is by far the worst and most boring Persona game.

PqxpYLw.png

Soma

Yessssssssss

I was so worried a certain character from previous games wouldn't make a cameo but fixing the laptop from the second-hand store was totally worth it.

RalchAC

Both police detectives. Both end up killing people without caring. Both on your side, but actually turn out to be the murderer. Both act super nice, but turn out to be rotten. Akechi KINDA redeems himself.

This is very similar, especially when you consider such a connection cannot be made to Persona 3. Its basically a looped/reused plot point.

Not really.
Akechi is more like a Naoto try-hard honestly. Teenager genius that solves cases the police can't and cross ways with the party, being a foe at first that turns into an ally and then... Yeah.

Plus he used his powers to become a celebrity, not just because he is pissed off.

Adachi wishes he had used his powers as smartly as Akechi tbh.

Also, they both are supposed to be
mirror images of the MC. People unable to form bonds with others.

Adachi's person is a negative form of Izanagi, and his Arcana is the Jester
Akechi is implied to posses the Wild Card

Guess Who

Banned

I mean, three of the things you just said are all basically one thing - "you thought he was good, but actually he's a murderer."

The reasons they kill are very different, the ways they present themselves and behave are very different, the role they serve in the plot is very different, and ultimately the way the story and characters judge them is very different.

Not really.
Akechi is more like a Naoto try-hard honestly. Teenager genius that solves cases the police can't and cross ways with the party, being a foe at first that turns into an ally and then... Yeah.

Plus he used his powers to become a celebrity, not just because he is pissed off.

Adachi wishes he had used his powers as smartly as Akechi tbh.

continuing this P4 and P5 spoiler train
I dont think Adachi really cares that he didnt use his powers smartly. Hes a sociopath that is entertained by the fact that he accidentally killed a girl he was lusting over, so he does it again. Akechi was a motivated psychopath with a goal. Its also why I find adachi to be far more terrifying.

Astral

Somebody just tell me. I've been wondering this since Palace 2 or 3 and I'm at 5.
Akechi is the traitor isn't he? It just seems so obvious. He's on the cover art with the main cast and in some promotional art but I believe he's also the only one excluded from some art. Every time I see him on the cover art and title menu he just looks like he doesn't belong with the group. I fully expect an Adachi type battle with him.

Shoeless

Yessssssssss

I was so worried a certain character from previous games wouldn't make a cameo but fixing the laptop from the second-hand store was totally worth it.

My wife is a pretty big Persona fangirl and was raging over the apparent absence of that character. However, when that familiar tune started up, I could hear her burst out laughing in delight at the other end of the house and she came running in to check out the TV, shouting "YEEEEES!"

Guess Who

Banned
Somebody just tell me. I've been wondering this since Palace 2 or 3 and I'm at 5.
Akechi is the traitor isn't he? It just seems so obvious. He's on the cover art with the main cast and in some promotional art but I believe he's also the only one excluded from some art. Every time I see him on the cover art and title menu he just looks like he doesn't belong with the group. I fully expect an Adachi type battle with him.

Yes, but the fact that he's the traitor isn't the twist.

I mean, three of the things you just said are all basically one thing - "you thought he was good, but actually he's a murderer."

The reasons they kill are very different, the ways they present themselves and behave are very different, the role they serve in the plot is very different, and ultimately the way the story and characters judge them is very different.

They role they serve is the same, to be negative images of the MC. It's the same archetype
Both Adachi and Akechi are unable to form bonds with other, receive a magic power and use it to throw a tantrum at society.

Opa-Pa

I'll agree that individual buffs tend to feel underwhelming, but bosses on hard could be so fierce that even if only for defense purposes they were worth it (some mobs were nasty too), also you can always cast it twice to prolong the effect, now that's definitely worth it.

It's made worse by the fact that it somehow manages to subvert a subversion back into a cliche.

Palace 7 spoilers -
When you first get Akechi, he's such a perfect party member with his bless, curse, and almighty skills. He's a perfect gentleman and his outfit is too clean and "nice." He just screams "Mary Sue." So when he showed his true colors, I thought it was a brilliant reversal of what he'd been built up to be the entire game. And then it goes a step further by having everyone in Tokyo love Akechi and praise him, and it turns out that that was his plan all along.

And then they go and ruin it by going out of their way to make the party forgive him and praise him despite everything he's done. Despite killing Haru's dad, and causing the mental shutdowns that plagued Tokyo for years and killed dozens of people, the game still expects you to think that Akechi's this smart, charming person who was just dealt a bad hand and is totally deserving of a 2nd chance... And then he gets a dramatic, self-sacrificing "redemption" moment that feels completely unearned.

His Berserker Armor and Loki designs were really cool, but man did they fuck up with him thematically.

My words exactly
my eyes ended up hurting from rolling them so hard during that scenes, Jesus. I liked what they were doing with his character up to that point, but making him tragic, and uh, expecting me to give a shit at all? Yeah no way.

It would have been different if he was truly being controlled by Shido, but this guy is in full control. He offered his services,
he got instant rewards from killing all those people, not just Shido, and more importantly he was planning to betray Shido anyway, so the guy wasn't some puppet as the game wanted you to think. The guy was beyond corrupted and MURDERED my teammate's asshole dad, there's absolutely no reason why the cast should even think of forgiving him, let alone want him to join them. Just show some pity and move on at best.

Also I found it lame that he was Shido's bastard son, that's a pretty unimaginative way of connecting things. Why not just make him the guy responsible for Akechi's dad ending in prison or something like that? I mean, if you can't think of other ways might as well make Joker his other bastard son too so everything is connected, it'd be like poetry!

R0ckman

wait...there is? What is it?

I did that the first time around, if I remember correctly all that happens is
he jumps down to get the item and gets run over, same as punching him off the top

He actually uses the machine to grab the item and wastes a couple of turns patting himself on the back for the "good find." You can use that time to heal and buff the party.

PK Gaming

They role they serve is the same, to be negative images of the MC. It's the same archetype
Both Adachi and Akechi are unable to form bonds with other, receive a magic power and use it to throw a tantrum at society.

Perhaps, but there are a lot of parallels between 4 and 5. They're fairly different in execution.

PixelatedBookake

I'll agree that individual buffs tend to feel underwhelming, but bosses on hard could be so fierce that even if only for defense purposes they were worth it (some mobs were nasty too), also you can always cast it twice to prolong the effect, now that's definitely worth it.

My words exactly
my eyes ended up hurting from rolling them so hard during that scenes, Jesus. I liked what they were doing with his character up to that point, but making him tragic, and uh, expecting me to give a shit at all? Yeah no way.

It would have been different if he was truly being controlled by Shido, but this guy is in full control. He offered his services,
he got instant rewards from killing all those people, not just Shido, and more importantly he was planning to betray Shido anyway, so the guy wasn't some puppet as the game wanted you to think. The guy was beyond corrupted and MURDERED my teammate's asshole dad, there's absolutely no reason why the cast should even think of forgiving him, let alone want him to join them. Just show some pity and move on at best.

Also I found it lame that he was Shido's bastard son, that's a pretty unimaginative way of connecting things. Why not just make him the guy responsible for Akechi's dad ending in prison or something like that? I mean, if you can't think of other ways might as well make Joker his other bastard son too so everything is connected, it'd be like poetry!

Yep. I was thinking the whole time
"THIS MAN IS A SERIAL KILLER. He literally tried to kill you a month ago and almost damn well succeeded. If I didn't know anybetter, I would think its to put him in future spinoff games as a character the rest can interact with without hating him completely.

Beat the game at 3am this morning. Got hardly any sleep for work. Worth. Best Persona game, Best MegaTen game, and my new favorite game of all time. Adored it from start to finish. Gonna jump right into NG+ to get that Platinum. Pretty much sobbed all over myself the whole like, last 4 hours of the game. 100000000000/10.

Kindekuma

Banned
Beat the fifth palace. SPOILERS
Wait, so if Okumura's cognitive self was assassinated, then that means...OOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Roussow

Ah, so palace 7 end-boss spoilers -- I'm kinda stuck.
So, I don't know how to fight this thing, by default you can't hit the boss with physical attacks or gun attacks, so you hit him hard with all the magic you've got.
Occasionally he'll hit you're whole party with an attack that can enrage them, if it enrages you, you automatically go in for the attack, you get one-hit, game over. This happened twice, so I swapped out the SP regen accessory for a medium physical resistance accessory, because I don't have any rage resistance stuff, so considering I'm just hitting myself with physical, this is probably doing something positive.
Then he casts a Magic Wall, and now I can't attack him at all, I went about 6 or 7 rounds just blocking and healing (occasionally testing if anything would work), it didn't. I'm baffled, I genuinely don't know how to beat this thing, I can't get an attack in. Do I have to just block until an event occurs? Just survive? No party member was commenting on it,
so I feel I'm missing something here. I'd consider just dropping the difficulty for the minute, but that wouldn't help me not being able to do damage, uh, help.
(Only mechanical spoilers in there, no names or anything too spoilery -- but just to be safe I tagged the whole thing)

You'll gain Guts or Charm or Knowledge, etc. if you choose one dialogue option over another.

my Persona saves are weird, every time I save the game then turn the Ps4 to rest to pick up on later, I always start off the game a little bit before where I remember saving off. But anyways,

I'm talking to that creepy mothagfucker in your dreams and I wanted to say something to him, but my guts weren't powerful enough for that..

was that basically the game's...gamely-organic way of tutorially telling you you can't say it yet?

It's made worse by the fact that it somehow manages to subvert a subversion back into a cliche.

Palace 7 spoilers -
When you first get Akechi, he's such a perfect party member with his bless, curse, and almighty skills. He's a perfect gentleman and his outfit is too clean and "nice." He just screams "Mary Sue." So when he showed his true colors, I thought it was a brilliant reversal of what he'd been built up to be the entire game. And then it goes a step further by having everyone in Tokyo love Akechi and praise him, and it turns out that that was his plan all along.

And then they go and ruin it by going out of their way to make the party forgive him and praise him despite everything he's done. Despite killing Haru's dad, and causing the mental shutdowns that plagued Tokyo for years and killed dozens of people, the game still expects you to think that Akechi's this smart, charming person who was just dealt a bad hand and is totally deserving of a 2nd chance... And then he gets a dramatic, self-sacrificing "redemption" moment that feels completely unearned.

His Berserker Armor and Loki designs were really cool, but man did they fuck up with him thematically.

Freaking agreed (Endgame spoilers)
Part of the problem is that if things were worked differently you could actually have an interesting dynamic happen with his and Shido's characters. What if Shido temporally killing himself actually stopped his change of heart from happening and then when the MC's think they're screwed enter Akechi who is alive who confesses EVERYTHING and turns on Shido and brings him down in the only way he can, he doesn't do it out of remorse or anything he does it because he wants to fuck over Shido still keeping the tone of his character without this entire bullshit sequence where the MC's try to get him to join them and forgive him which doesn't make any freaking sense what so ever.

It would also explain why the MC at the end of the game has to turn himself in to really get Shido because Akechi would just be one witness.

The way all these events actually play out in the game is just stupid as all hell and make absolutely no sense for the most part (seriously if Shido confesses to everything WHY DOES JOKER NEED TO TURN HIMSELF IN TO GET HIM!?) or they just ruin the character of Akechi that they had just built up massively before this palace.

Honestly every time I think about the final arc of this game I can't help but feel it was rushed and it wasn't properly thought out. There are just so many... (spoilers for endgame)
plotholes in the final arc that just don't make sense really or just aren't properly explained at all.

so without going over it all, one thing that is a general strategy to use. Break Magic Wall by letting it reflect something. If you have a Rank 10 party member link you can just cast their element. Like a rank 10 Ann can cast Agidyne at a magic wall and when it reflects back at her she just blocks it. This removes Makarakarn without worry.

I also generally have plenty of personas on joker that can do the same.

Adachi

Worse than P1?.. That palace was awful, though. The game actually stays that consistently tedious, and boring after palace
until the epilogue.

Top Bottom