• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Cronen

I don't recall a shrine, but the game actually states when you're at the final save point of the game, which by the way has 4 (or was it five?) mini bosses before it, so if you haven't fought those you still have a bit more to go.

But yes, aside from there being a Velvet Room door at the beginning of Mementos' depths, you can also fast travel to the entrance of Mementos proper to heal there if you want to.

I think they refer to the big tower looking thing in Shibuya as a shrine. I may have my words mixed up there. But yeah, I have fought the four mini-bosses and I'm at the save point afterwards. Hopefully there's a Velvet Room where I am.

Opa-Pa

Annoyingly enough, there isn't one haha. You'll have to go back to the start of the area... But yeah, you already made it to the end at least.

Cronen

Annoyingly enough, there isn't one haha. You'll have to go back to the start of the area... But yeah, you already made it to the end at least.

How annoying! Hopefully it won't take too long to run through. Thanks for your help!

Edit:
Just checked a let's play video and you can fast track to the beginning of that area and back, where there's a Velvet Room door. All sorted :)

Fucking shit! I think I got hit with a heavy story spoiler. All thanks to youtube and it's wonderful video suggestion system /s.

I put it away as quickly as I could, but I still read "Morgana
leaves the world
"(possible end-game spoiler).

I'm aware that a video title doesn't really mean much without the context, and I'm also currently at September, going through palace 5, so I'm sure there are some other few surprises and twists left. But still, it sucks.

On bright side, it gives me some time to mentally prepare because
if that ends up happening it will make me real sad :(
(speculation)

Sorian

Banned
Fucking shit! I think I got hit with a heavy story spoiler. All thanks to youtube and it's wonderful video suggestion system /s.

leaves the world

I'm aware that a video title doesn't really mean much without the context, and I'm also currently at September, going through palace 5, so I'm sure there are some other few surprises and twists left. But still, it sucks.

(speculation)

You didn't get hit with the spoiler I was worried about and I'd disregard what you saw. It means nothing without context and is not what you think it means.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

leaves the world

(speculation)
I got spoiled by Google autocomplete, too. At least, I thought I did. I'm in the ending sequence of the game now, and so far nothing like what my spoiler said has happened.

I played through the final area last night, but had to close the game halfway through the ending because
IT'S THE LONGEST FUCKING ENDING SEQUENCE IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE AND IT WAS 2:30 FUCKING AM lol. I started the final area (Qlipoth World) at midnight and by 2:30am, I was still watching ending cutscenes so I just said "fuck it" and went to bed because I had work tomorrow.

It's pretty funny when the game keeps acting like you're close to the end, and then keeps throwing more plot development, all sorts of crazy shit happening and new areas at you. I could have sworn I was about 1-2 hours from the end when I went into the Mementos Depths, but between the new areas and the massive, multiple plot dumps on your head (seriously, what's with that?) it seems to be more like 6+ hours.

Endgame and ending spoilers:
I'm not sure what to think of the big plot developments in the end. It seems very jarring to not know of the Holy Grail at all until the very end of the game, then have multiple hours of plot dumps, "everyone almost dies because of plot" sequences, and boss fights to paint it as the true antagonist of the story. I'm still feeling a sort of mental whiplash from how fast the game went from "you're the mysterious phantom thieves who change the hearts of criminals" to "YOU ARE THE HEROES OF HUMANITY. SAVE US ALL, HIGH SCHOOL JESUS." It's epic and all, but it feels weird.

Will probably go into NG+ when I'm done here. I really liked the ride and would like to see how the game plays itself out now that I know all the reveals in the game.

Lunar15

I got spoiled by Google autocomplete, too. At least, I thought I did. I'm in the ending sequence of the game now, and so far nothing like what my spoiler said has happened.

I played through the final area last night, but had to close the game halfway through the ending because
IT'S THE LONGEST FUCKING ENDING SEQUENCE IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE AND IT WAS 2:30 FUCKING AM lol. I started the final area (Qlipoth World) at midnight and by 2:30am, I was still watching ending cutscenes so I just said "fuck it" and went to bed because I had work tomorrow.

It's pretty funny when the game keeps acting like you're close to the end, and then keeps throwing more plot development, all sorts of crazy shit happening and new areas at you. I could have sworn I was about 1-2 hours from the end when I went into the Mementos Depths, but between the new areas and the massive, multiple plot dumps on your head (seriously, what's with that?) it seems to be more like 6+ hours.

Endgame and ending spoilers:
I'm not sure what to think of the big plot developments in the end. It seems very jarring to not know of the Holy Grail at all until the very end of the game, then have multiple hours of plot dumps, "everyone almost dies because of plot" sequences, and boss fights to paint it as the true antagonist of the story. I'm still feeling a sort of mental whiplash from how fast the game went from "you're the mysterious phantom thieves who change the hearts of criminals" to "YOU ARE THE HEROES OF HUMANITY. SAVE US ALL, HIGH SCHOOL JESUS." It's epic and all, but it feels weird.

Will probably go into NG+ when I'm done here. I really liked the ride and would like to see how the game plays itself out now that I know all the reveals in the game.

This is basically what I meant by saying the endgame seems much longer than it appears.

Had some time to process the ending. Even tho I got kind of exhausted towards the end (all the fake out final
Bosses were the main offenders) and the end battle, while being amazing, sorta jumps the shark, it was an amazing fucking game. The end sequence after the final boss as pure elation and does a better job of demonstrating bonds with your crew than most games. The best JRPG I've played since FFXII. After 130 hours, idk if I wanna jump into NG+ quite yet. Now I need them to port Persona 4: Golden to PS4.

Akuun

This is basically what I meant by saying the endgame seems much longer than it appears.
Haha, now I see how that's hard to hint at without giving too much away.

The game's difficulty drop does kind of mar the last boss fight though. The later bosses in the game aren't that hard, mostly because you have access to full party buff/full heal skills by that point. Once buffs are up, I just start nuking with the people who have Charge/Concentrate.

I feel like the
Palace 2
boss was the hardest boss in the game.

lt519

About to send the calling card for the 6th Palace. I'm still very into the game but I think it has started to show some of its seams by now. I loved the 6th palace though, very fun.

A lot of this has to do with my play style, but the pacing is way off right now. You do what seems like 3-4 hours of social stuff and then 3-4 hours of palace, where at this point in the game I've befriended all the people I've wanted to so the social stuff is dragging, I'm just maxing stuff out and starting new confidants because there's nothing else to do, which then in turn makes me want to try and be a completionist about it. If I weren't going on my 20th straight confidant meeting I might be more interested in their stories. If I complete a palace within 1-2 days I then have 25 some odd days of social stuff. It's just a weird pacing. I try to sprinkle some Mementos in there, but there aren't a ton of requests. I know I could do the dungeons in chunks but it doesn't seem like a good optimization of time.

Its really frustrating the game gives you so much to do and then forces you to sleep early for exams and/or other things. I have the confidant
that allows massages
but that came way too late. For all the content, they seem oddly hell bent on making you have to play through the game twice, or follow a guide, to experience it all. Which bums me out, I'm a completionist with games that I enjoy, but there is no way I fit it into my schedule to do a 50+ hour NG+ just to do 2-3 more confidants and 2-3 more Mementos missions. I have all this free time in game now, but knowing I'll ultimately fall short of one or two things bugs me.

PK Gaming

DBsxct-XkAEdpbY.jpg

Chats definitely could have been more colorful, TMS style

source

Realeza

Banned
Is the big ass robot the last part of Okumura's boss battle, or is there something after that? I was one hit away from winning that fucking match and I ran out of time.

Kaizer

Banned
After not liking Palace 4 at all, despite the good story progression, I really enjoyed Okumura's Palace design, music & featured personas. That boss battle came down to the wire though - I was getting seriously pissed at the robot spamming the Big Bang Challenge attack, forcing me to defend every other turn, but I managed to finish the fight with about a minute & 30 seconds to spare.

Currently about 83 hours into the game, have maxed three Confidants so far (
got Kawakami's Special Massage, Chihaya's Affinity Reading & also maxed Mishima
) and made Takemi my bae so I'm feeling pretty good.

Mediking

Thanks for all the encouragement earlier about fighting on in Palace 7 and not to get discouraged.

I'm back to playing and kicking butt.

I still hate how Palace 7 is structured. It's a major pain.

Thanks for all the encouragement earlier about fighting on in Palace 7 and not to get discouraged.

I'm back to playing and kicking butt.

I still hate how Palace 7 is structured. It's a major pain.

I started doing that dungeon in the day around maybe 5pm at the time and haven't finished by night yet... and very late morning didn't even finish it. It's going to be a good 6 hours+ or so. It's just too long. I heard it even takes 3 hours at around level 90 ish lol. Doing it right away is nice though... cause imagine doing it last min lol.

Akuun

IMO that palace is the worst one. It's just so long and tedious. The
actual discussions with the VIPs are cool, but there are WAY too many filler sections. After a while, you see so many mouse puzzles and doors that lock on the other side that your eyes just glaze over.

Shengar

Finished the game at last. I somehow put it down for weeks between Palace 6 and 7 but it still was a blast. Personally I think Palace 7 is just right albeit a little longer than it should be. But I had fun with it since it was the most gruelling Palace to go through after Palace 1 all thing considered and it is a nice challenge.

Short impression for now (spoilered just in case)
This is the most SMT Persona by the elements, though not the ending I guess

Oh yeah, I never thought I would rely on Ann so much at late game after not being used in the 3 last Palace. Her offensive power and support capabilities are so damn strong. Matarunda and Dekaja to make the boss more manageable and Concentrate+Agidyne to dish out that crazy damage in the down time.

I started doing that dungeon in the day around maybe 5pm at the time and haven't finished by night yet... and very late morning didn't even finish it. It's going to be a good 6 hours+ or so. It's just too long. I heard it even takes 3 hours at around level 90 ish lol. Doing it right away is nice though... cause imagine doing it last min lol.

I finished it on NG+ in about 45 minutes with high level characters and Ryuji insta-killing everything, though that was fast forwarding through all the dialogue. Still, if you're strong enough to trigger insta-kill on every enemy then it shouldn't take long at all.

Akuun

Finished the game at last. I somehow put it down for weeks between Palace 6 and 7 but it still was a blast. Personally I think Palace 7 is just right albeit a little longer than it should be. But I had fun with it since it was the most gruelling Palace to go through after Palace 1 all thing considered and it is a nice challenge.

Short impression for now (spoilered just in case)
This is the most SMT Persona by the elements, though not the ending I guess

Oh yeah, I never thought I would rely on Ann so much at late game after not being used in the 3 last Palace. Her offensive power and support capabilities are so damn strong. Matarunda and Dekaja to make the boss more manageable and Concentrate+Agidyne to dish out that crazy damage in the down time.
I benched Ann for a good 3-4 Palaces before bringing her back for the final boss of the game.

Was very pleasant surprised to find that she had turned into a nuke machine, with her fire amps and Concentration.

I regret making her forget Dekaja, though.

I'll probably use a different team for NG+ just for variety. Maybe Ann + Yusuke + Morgana, since those are the three I didn't use much.
I finished it on NG+ in about 45 minutes with high level characters and Ryuji insta-killing everything, though that was fast forwarding through all the dialogue. Still, if you're strong enough to trigger insta-kill on every enemy then it shouldn't take long at all.
Carrying a Persona with Auto-Matarukaja has been a godsend in late game because it makes it so much easier to sweep anything you run into.

Mediking

Palace 5 and Palace 7 are trash (Well Palace 7 actually has a good song). I'm definitely doing a slow rush with Palace 7. I know I said this before but this Palace should REALLY be straightforward for story purposes and pacing purposes. To hell with this extra crap in the way of the Calling Card! Who the hell wants to deal with this crap anymore?! I'm totally adding this into my final impressions of Persona 5 when I beat the game. It's a near flawless game but there's stupid crap just glaring around in the game.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Got the plat tonight - 153 hours!

When I started NG+ I slapped Growth 3 on Arsene, and after palace 7 I strengthened him a few times to bump his level up. He's a level 98 right before the end boss - I'll grind out one more level and post a screenshot.

After putting him in lockdown a few times and spending a couple of high level skill cards on him he's pretty decent. His agility is way past all his other stats, and he has SHIT luck.

Palace 5 and Palace 7 are trash (Well Palace 7 actually has a good song). I'm definitely doing a slow rush with Palace 7. I know I said this before but this Palace should REALLY be straightforward for story purposes and pacing purposes. To hell with this extra crap in the way of the Calling Card! Who the hell wants to deal with this crap anymore?! I'm totally adding this into my final impressions of Persona 5 when I beat the game. It's a near flawless game but there's stupid crap just glaring around in the game.

To be fair, the extra stuff in the dungeon was hilarious such as
Ann going British and the like and I enjoyed learning what Shido's men do behind the scenes.
I loved the ost in palace 7! That actually felt like final area music to me until they play Life will Change for the
final palace in Mementos
. I know it's a super frustrating and the longest dungeon in the game. You need to plan your game accordingly and save a lot. You don't want to lose progress here, trust me. It's a blessing that there is a retry boss option in this game because if there wasn't it would be very bad in this section of the game.

I hate the palace but I also liked it for how special it was and how I could feel the madness of the palace ruler there.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm at the last palace and I've just had enough of the battle system. These last 2 palaces have been such a drag. They are just so tedious. Instead of presenting a challenge, they just add annoying mechanics that pad out the playtime.

I hate that going back to save completely resets the area and now you have the same 10 fights in a row to get back to where you were. Death is so punishing already so why make it so punishing to go back and save.

I never found myself feeling this way in P4. I just am so done with fighting.

Mediking

To be fair, the extra stuff in the dungeon was hilarious such as
Ann going British and the like and I enjoyed learning what Shido's men do behind the scenes.
I loved the ost in palace 7! That actually felt like final area music to me until they play Life will Change for the
final palace in Mementos
. I know it's a super frustrating and the longest dungeon in the game. You need to plan your game accordingly and save a lot. You don't want to lose progress here, trust me. It's a blessing that there is a retry boss option in this game because if there wasn't it would be very bad in this section of the game.

I hate the palace but I also liked it for how special it was and how I could feel the madness of the palace ruler there.

I'm at the last palace and I've just had enough of the battle system. These last 2 palaces have been such a drag. They are just so tedious. Instead of presenting a challenge, they just add annoying mechanics that pad out the playtime.

I hate that going back to save completely resets the area and now you have the same 10 fights in a row to get back to where you were. Death is so punishing already so why make it so punishing to go back and save.

I never found myself feeling this way in P4. I just am so done with fighting.

Palace 7 wouldn't be so bad if you had to fight the
SIU director and the School President
before
Mr. Baldy

Thats what should've happened.

BBboy20

So, I have an Moon persona yet when speaking to Moon, the usual speech bubble of said boost doesn't show up.Is it bug or not?

LiK

Watched ENB's entire LP of the late game stuff. Man, I love his reactions as well as the Twitch chat replay to what was going on. Might need to go back and watch allt he best parts and see what he thought. Glad he did a complete LP of it.

Also, JPN Kamoshido VO is so bad compared to English. He sounds like such a dork.

[EXTREME SPOILER AHEAD, VERY END GAME] One of the biggest plot twists of this game for me was
Igor's voice. In the beginning I was like: the f is up with his voice? Bad casting? Bad english dub? Then BAM, it was because he wasn't himself.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Are you sure you didn't ask for an item or maybe already got the demon in your compendium?

I assume he didn't make a mistake, some demon's are just arseholes to recruit. This definitely happened to me as well, consistently, when trying to recruit a few specific demons (I remember Koppa Tengu and Ganesha doing this). Eventually I just decided to fuse them instead.

asariN7

Im at Dungeon 3 and the music is hype,better than the first two.Also really liking
makotos story arc here

Haven't finished the game yet, just got to Palace 7. I just wanted to make sure, regarding Confidants
I can finish the palace and work on finishing up my confidants after,
correct? That's how I've done ever other Palace, but the game seems to say I should finish up all my confidants before going into Palace 7. I won't have enough time to finish everyone, but Ryuji is at rank 9 and a couple others are at Rank 8 so I hope I'd be able to get them done.

Also, I'm not sure why people complain about Palace 5 so much. Maybe it's because I took a break of 3-4 weeks between Palace 4 and it, but I enjoyed Palace 5. Palace 6 was more annoying in my opinion (though the music was awesome). Sorta dreading Palace 7 to be honest, sounds like it can be a slog.

Opa-Pa

Not sure what gave you that impression, but yeah you can tackle Palace 7 just the same as you have with previous ones.

And palace preferences vary a lot, honestly... Personally the only one that bored me was 5 near the end. 7 is similar to 5 in why most people hate it, but IMO while yes, it's longer, it's way better. Just very long and reuses a particular puzzle one time too many.

Akuun

Finished last night. Man, this game is fucking awesome. I'll probably go back and do a NG+ sometime.

Lunar15

Not sure what gave you that impression, but yeah you can tackle Palace 7 just the same as you have with previous ones.

And palace preferences vary a lot, honestly... Personally the only one that bored me was 5 near the end. 7 is similar to 5 in why most people hate it, but IMO while yes, it's longer, it's way better. Just very long and reuses a particular puzzle one time too many.

7's a way better dungeon than 5. There's just too much of it.

foppy79

So a game I bought on a whim (heh) right before the prime discount wore off turned into my favorite game of the year so far.

I had a blast with the 116 hours I put into it, despite the flaws
Most of which I agree mentioned above about the ending.
However, I don't think I will be going through the post-persona depression many others seem to have because this was my first Persona, and Persona 4: Golden and my PSTV came yesterday, which leads me to ask:

What should I expect going from 5-4? I know the interrogation stuff was new to this game, but is there anything else missing? The difference between Social links and Confidants?

So a game I bought on a whim (heh) right before the prime discount wore off turned into my favorite game of the year so far.

I had a blast with the 116 hours I put into it, despite the flaws
Most of which I agree mentioned above about the ending.
However, I don't think I will be going through the post-persona depression many others seem to have because this was my first Persona, and Persona 4: Golden and my PSTV came yesterday, which leads me to ask:

What should I expect going from 5-4? I know the interrogation stuff was new to this game, but is there anything else missing? The difference between Social links and Confidants?
huge downgrade in dungeon design, and less variety for daily life activities. Non party member social links won't be as enticing as they dont provide many tangible benefits, its really just arcana burst and thats it. P4 had great style for the time, but P5 really put it up to the next level, so expect a downgrade there too. Combat also plays out slower, due to classical menu navigation and longer persona summoning and switching animations. Character models are also much more stylistically proportioned, could potentially find jarring.

Besides that though, you will basically feel right at home. The daily life plays out basically the same, as does the timing to goto dungeons. Big difference is there is no implemented delay between clearing the dungeon and fighting the boss, so resource management right up until the end. However P4G went really overboard in giving you new power compared to vanilla and didnt balance it out really at all in the shadow's favor, so it is the easiest game in the series by far (from all I've played).

foppy79

huge downgrade in dungeon design, and less variety for daily life activities. Non party member social links won't be as enticing as they dont provide many tangible benefits, its really just arcana burst and thats it. P4 had great style for the time, but P5 really put it up to the next level, so expect a downgrade there too. Combat also plays out slower, due to classical menu navigation and longer persona summoning and switching animations. Character models are also much more stylistically proportioned, could potentially find jarring.

Besides that though, you will basically feel right at home. The daily life plays out basically the same, as does the timing to goto dungeons. Big difference is there is no implemented delay between clearing the dungeon and fighting the boss, so resource management right up until the end. However P4G went really overboard in giving you new power compared to vanilla and didnt balance it out really at all in the shadow's favor, so it is the easiest game in the series by far (from all I've played).
I forgot about the randomly generated dungeons, but I don't think the other things will bother me too much. Here's to another 100 hours!
And then NG+ P5 after :)

The upside to no social link bonuses is that you are purely spending time with the characters you're interested in spending time with. There's no pressure to get the good abilities, or a feeling of a wasted time from getting bad abilities.

Top Bottom