• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Old MC looked too generic. Good, but generic.

It's funny that old Akihiko and Ken were basically finished.

They weren't. Here's the development versions of Akihiko and Ken:

070810_soejima02.jpg

070810_soejima03.jpg

070831_soejima02.jpg

070831_soejima03.jpg

As you can see, darts were considered as a weapon for Ken.

Source for Akihiko. Source for Ken.

Also, the early designs for Fuuka eventually became Chihiro Fushimi:

070914_soejima02.jpg

070914_soejima03.jpg

Source for Fuuka.

pan-hime

They weren't. Here's the development versions of Akihiko and Ken:

070810_soejima02.jpg

070810_soejima03.jpg

070831_soejima02.jpg

070831_soejima03.jpg

As you can see, darts were considered as a weapon for Ken.

Source for Akihiko. Source for Ken.

Also, the early designs for Fuuka eventually became Chihiro Fushimi:

070914_soejima02.jpg

070914_soejima03.jpg

Source for Fuuka.

Also, here are the AtlusNet articles for the Protagonist, Aigis, Mitsuru, Koromaru, Junpei, and Yukari.

Shinjiro is the only character who didn't really change from the original design too much, everyone else went through some drastic changes. I love the fact that Aigis actually manually wielded her weapons in the original design, and held a rifle no less.
wow, totally forgot soejima has his own atlusnet diary.

Kinda diggin' this Mitsuru design also
070817_soejima02.jpg

I dunno man, the short hair kinda makes her look younger, but she's supposed to be like an ol' pro at the shadow hunting business, as well as Yukari, Junpei, and the Protag's mentor.

Haha look at early Junpei. He had an entirely different hat to never take off.
070928_soejima02.jpg

I do dig this though...but its bittersweet since Junpei is basically the perfect character and I wouldn't want the final design replaced by this :/

Gazoinks

Those designs look kind of... evil. Pompadour Kanji is pretty great though.

I dunno man, the short hair kinda makes her look younger, but she's supposed to be like an ol' pro at the shadow hunting business, as well as Yukari, Junpei, and the Protag's mentor.
Yeah, well, your concerns are outweighed by short hair being the best hair. :p

I wasn't really thinking about how it fit her character, really, just like the design.

I do dig this though...but its bittersweet since Junpei is basically the perfect character and I wouldn't want the final design replaced by this :/

This guy kinda looks like a S.Link character. It's a pretty good design, but for some reason it doesn't really say "MAIN CHARACTER" to me.

I wasn't really thinking about how it fit her character, really, just like the design.

It IS pretty good :/ dammit why does Soejima have to be so good at character design, it just means that all of his terrific designs sadly can't make it into the game.

To me that drawing is still Mitsuru, but perhaps Mitsuru before the events of Persona 3 while Shinjiro, Akihiko, and her had just made S.E.E.S

...Now I really want to see what it was like during those times. Maybe it could be portrayed by a cut-scene in the inevitable P3 Velvet remake.

He looks... old in most of those. Like past 20. Huh.

Edit: I actually kinda dig the grit in those designs. Wouldn't be P4 as we know it. Looks more like a mainline SMT character.

to be fair, he does look older than the rest of the cast despite actually being younger.

to be fair, he does look older than the rest of the cast despite actually being younger.
Yeah, but that's a more extreme looking difference. I like that he looks older than them though, that's a very specific thing to decide kinda.
I'm exactly that person in my group of friends...

That concept Yukiko is perfect. Would wife.

Long-haired Nanako is very interesting, it certainly gives her a more vulnerable/immature look, while the hat does the opposite in my opinion.

Persona_4_Teddie.jpg

So many questions; is that girl supposed to also be Teddie? Would he have been as much of a comic relief character, had they gone with the other (creepier) designs?

Major Spoilers for all sorts of things:
I'm one of those wierdos that believes that Teddie would have been Yu's shadow, had Izanami not impregnated him with a Persona already, and if Teddie was originally supposed to be a girl then that puts a damper on that whole theory.

I am totally down for both serious short-haired Yukiko, AND cheery, casual, jacket and jeans wearing Yukiko, with a slight preference for the latter.

Edit: how do you make these smaller?

Actually, if you look closely there's a person inside of it, so I'm guessing at one point Soejima considered Teddie being a suit of armor. Also a frog.

It's like a whole Frog-Prince thing which has something to do with Nanako's whole theory about where he comes from

CrazyDude

Nanako-Concept2.jpg

Long-haired Nanako is very interesting, it certainly gives her a more vulnerable/immature look, while the hat does the opposite in my opinion.

Persona_4_Teddie.jpg

So many questions; is that girl supposed to also be Teddie? Would he have been as much of a comic relief character, had they gone with the other (creepier) designs?

I'm one of those wierdos that believes that Teddie would have been Yu's shadow, had Izanami not impregnated him with a Persona already, and if Teddie was originally supposed to be a girl then that puts a damper on that whole theory.

Yukiko-EarlyConcept.jpg

I am totally down for both serious short-haired Yukiko, AND Cheery, casual, jacket and jeans wearing Yukiko, with a slight preference for the latter.

Edit: how do you make these smaller?

Highlight post----->click speech bubble.

Gazoinks

It's like a whole Frog-Prince thing which has something to do with Nanako's whole theory about where he comes from

Hey, that's a good point. I wonder if they were originally gonna do something with that and have him be a (spoiler about the nature of Teddie's identity)
person transformed into a Shadow who gets changed back, which is when he joins you as a fighter
. Or something.

Lunar15

One thing I always thought was clever about P4's art was that the character color schemes seemed to correspond to a TV test screen:

250px--SMPTE_bars_and_tone.ogg.jpg

Although, I have no idea if that was intentional or not. Yosuke is orange, so that doesn't really fit that idea, unless you could skew him as being "yellow". That concept art Teddie made me think about it, since it also resembles a TV test screen.

pan-hime

Artbook tidbits:

• Kanji's orginal concept was a delinquent senior, so yeah, that's why he's older.
  • Rise was a bully character and has designs similar to Ai Ebihara.
  • I love how the dev team calls Yosuke Junpei, even when his name is Yosuke.
  • Teddie was going to be a girl because, I quote
    "we thought that would offer the biggest, and therefore most fun surprise."
    , but then Naoto was decided
    to be a girl.
  • Naoto, unintentionally, is drawn similarly to P3MC.
  • Elizabeth was originally going to appear in P4.

Dantis

Also, one Female Protagonist concept looks like the good old Female Protagonist we know today, but with longer hair. The other is basically Yukari Takeba.

Eh, not really. Her fringe is the same, I suppose.

They did some blog posts when they were making P3P where Soejima talked about designing FeMC. Originally, she was literally a female version of Makoto, but he realised that was stupid so he started wholly from scratch.

Also, I think the idea of Teddie being a girl would have been amazing if she'd had the same kind of personality. Would have genuinely been really funny.

EDIT: Apparently Catherine is $13.99 right now. SO worth that price.

Dantis

Omg dat short hair yukiko. So good. Dat design. Much waifu. Such beauty. Yukidoge

The new design suits her personality much, much more.

What if Persona 5 becomes the first ever JRPG to become a musical? Every cutscene involves singing. It'll be a rock opera. :-D

I'd actually be okay with this.

My main worry that actually seems possible is that they'll move to Xenoblade-esque real time combat. I would be sad face.

I love all the concept art on the past couple of pages. The Persona art books are a great read (wish UDON would hurry up and ship the P4A one I ordered back in April). The art is, of course, amazing, but I also love the descriptions of original concepts and the dev interviews. I agree with Sophia, I'd love to see a similar kind of omnibus for the ATLUS PS2 games.

EDIT: Apparently Catherine is $13.99 right now. SO worth that price.

That is basically stealing it. In my top five games of the past gen. I know some people I need to forward this to...

My main worry that actually seems possible is that they'll move to Xenoblade-esque real time combat. I would be sad face.

I really hope they don't do that. Turn-based seems like a dying art, but it's still my favorite style of RPG combat. And it works really well in Persona. I suppose they could set up some synergistic real-time strategy with the weaknesses and knockdown, but I'd prefer to see a further refinement of P4G's combat in P5.

Caladrius

I would cry if the Persona team killed off the turn-based battle system. I love Xenoblade, but Persona 5 shouldn't try to be Xenoblade.

The World Ends With You Too: Jam Edition.

I think they'll keep it turn-based. I just hope they either throw out or make significant improvements to the One More system to make it more involving.

Also I was thinking of TWEWY Too: Electric Boogaloo, with TWEWYT:EB: Toejam and Earl edition later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom