• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or just make like Victor Ireland and hire a programmer or two.

Too difficult for them evidently, or not worth it.

They just need to work on localization simultaneously with development.

This would be impractical as any last minute changes to the script would mean having to readjust those changes in all the different languages it has been translated into.
Considering that these kind of changes happen pretty often during development it would mean a total mess.

Square Enix is apparently attempting to write Final Fantasy XV's script in Japanese and English at the same time. I wonder what became of that.

I imagine this is most likely the case and has been since around Persona 4's release. Except for ports of a ten year old game that was already badly coded to begin with. :p

I don't know specifically about Atlus, but according to some recent XSEED posts I've been reading this is unfortunately not the case for many Japanese companies even for their most recent games, see Rune Factory 4 :/

Too difficult for them evidently, or not worth it.

This would be impractical as any last minute changes to the script would mean having to readjust those changes in all the different languages it has been translated into.
Considering that these kind of changes happen pretty often during development it would mean a total mess.

Square Enix is apparently attempting to write Final Fantasy XV's script in Japanese and English at the same time. I wonder what became of that.

I don't know specifically about Atlus, but according to some recent XSEED posts I've been reading this is unfortunately not the case for many Japanese companies even for their most recent games, see Rune Factory 4 :/

Just need to translate it to English firstly. Ideally, you'd need to have a translator or two working with the development team in Japan.

Soma

Yu + Akihiko = Yukiko

3EVJy9y.gif

Sophia

Seems to vary depending on the company. Although you can kinda tell seeing as the ones that are doing it are getting their releases out fast.

Moonlight

Banned
Nah. It was just weird.

Edit: Also I read in a FAQ that the Gekkoukan Uniforms were supposed to be character specific. MC=MC, Kanji=Akihiko, Chie=Yukari, etc. Not true apparently :(
Their win poses and quotes are lifted directly off the most analogous P3 character. This means stuff like Junpei raising one of his kunai up to the sky and shouting 'WHO'S DA MAN?'. This doesn't mean that Chie gets Yukari's cardigan or something.

That would be pretty awesome, though.

Acid08

Banned
what do you mean?
The way the FAQ was written made it sound like equipping the Gekkou costume would yield a different look for every part member. So equipping it to Kanji gave him Akihiko's clothes, equipping it to Chie gave her Yukari's clothes(really wanted this one), etc.

Edit: just read above, lame :( was really looking forward to Chie in Yukari gear.

fertygo

Reading that Sn00zer thread make me curious.

Who beside me that still not mastering fusion mechanic?
Thanks YHVH I heard P4G applying fusion search.

Sophia

Reading that Sn00zer thread make me curious.

Who beside me that still not mastering fusion mechanic?
Thanks YHVH I heard P4G applying fusion search.

I've never understood the inherent fear that comes with the fusion system. It's designed so a player can't make a mistake. Yet they make a mistake anyhow: By not using it.

FluxWaveZ

As I thought, Narukami still looking pretty solid (for damage at least) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C-OujngxhM

But I don't know about fun. Might still main both him and Labrys in like last game or mainly Labrys.

Shadow Yu does look pretty interesting though. Decisions decisions....

Posted that on the previous page. Shadow Fury combos in particular look pretty awesome.

I'm still sticking with my plan of maining everyone and I'm taking the necessary steps with P4A right now.

Game Chariot vid 1
Game Chariot vid 2

Rhapsody

Banned
Posted that on the previous page. Shadow Fury combos in particular look pretty awesome.

I'm still sticking with my plan of maining everyone and I'm taking the necessary steps with P4A right now.

Game Chariot vid 1
Game Chariot vid 2

Oh, I see it now. I'm going to have a hard time choosing who to use. I used half the cast at a pretty decent level before I stopped.
Tempted to do the same in this one since so many characters look fun.

And not that I'll use her, but I've been hearing some really good things about Yukiko this version.
Interested on seeing how everyone turns out.

Gazoinks

I've never understood the inherent fear that comes with the fusion system. It's designed so a player can't make a mistake. Yet they make a mistake anyhow: By not using it.

I played through P4 mostly randomly fusing stuff I thought seemed cool with no forward planning or fancy fusing and the game was still easy. I could imagine it being a problem in the mainline MegaTen games, but P4 is super forgiving.

fertygo

Yup, you don't lose anything by mastering it.. its actually great mechanic because despite so you gain a lot if you can pull it to your advantage, its really satisfying when you get what you wanted after tinkering with it.

But yeah I never really master it in way I don't need guide/chart whatever to pull the fusion formula.

Squire

Banned
I can't believe P mag still hasn't leaked. Come on, Japan. :'(

I hope it has something of substance in it. Over the last few days they've put out the first plot details of P4A2, PQ, and P4D, so in theory, they've set themselves to do the same for P5 next.

Sophia

Yup, you don't lose anything by mastering it.. its actually great mechanic because despite so you gain a lot if you can pull it to your advantage, its really satisfying when you get what you wanted after tinkering with it.

But yeah I never really master it in way I don't need guide/chart whatever to pull the fusion formula.

You don't even need to master it. The system has an inherit quality (Fused personas always rank up within their arcana) that prevents a player from making outright mistakes.

Even if you just fuse willy nilly and go off gut instinct, you'll come out ahead every time.

Hm, fusion is a bit intimidating in the beginning but after a while it's second nature.

It's always incredible when someone is still hanging onto Orpheus or Izanagi and they're fighting like... the Intrepid Knight or Shadow Yukiko. That Persona stopped gaining abilities ages ago and it gave you a skill card just to let you know you can get rid of it. Yet time and time again someone hangs onto it out of fear.

I didn't fuse Persona much in my first playthrough either. The game doesn't really communicate to you just how important and powerful fusion is, and for a beginner, it's not entirely clear how Social Links directly impact fusion. It's pretty easy to see how new players can become attached to certain Personas, viewing them in a Pokemon-like way. Through skill cards, stat boosts, and level-up cards, P4G sort of facilitates carrying a single (or a few) Persona through the game, though.

It's definitely moot once you realize that you can register your Persona, fuse it away, and then turn around and re-summon it back, but I don't think it's outrageous that players may not dig deep enough to realize the extent of the Compendium and Persona Fusion.

fertygo

You don't even need to master it. The system has an inherit quality (Fused personas always rank up within their arcana) that prevents a player from making outright mistakes.

Even if you just fuse willy nilly and go off gut instinct, you'll come out ahead every time.

But its still very cool tho, I remember the fusion talk back then in this thread.. about Black Joker IIRC

And I thought "Damn, I need to read guide to pulling what these guy do"

I think my best fusion work is Thanatos with Victory Cry, Ragnarok, Null Light and Vorpal Blade.. I'm so happy able to pull it off :D

Gazoinks

It's always incredible when someone is still hanging onto Orpheus or Izanagi and they're fighting like... the Intrepid Knight or Shadow Yukiko. That Persona stopped gaining abilities ages ago and it gave you a skill card just to let you know you can get rid of it. Yet time and time again someone hangs onto it out of fear.

To be fair, Orpheus and Izanagi look cooler than most of the low level Personae. :p

Sophia

To be fair, Orpheus and Izanagi look cooler than most of the low level Personae. :p

Point taken. I kinda hope Persona 5 lets you hang on to the starter Persona. Persona 4 Golden kinda let you did that, via skill cards.

But its still very cool tho, I remember the fusion talk back then in this thread.. about Black Joker IIRC

And I thought "Damn, I need to read guide to pulling what these guy do"

I think my best fusion work is work are Thanatos with Victory Cry, Ragnarok, Null Light and Vorpal Blade.. I'm so happy able to pull it off :D

One of the best changes they did to the skill system was letting you select in P4G. All the randomness went out of the system that way. Shame the inheritance rules were a bit too lax for such a mechanhic however.

Moonlight

Banned
While passing down Spell/Arms Master down to literally all of my active Personae was fun, I kind of agree.

Never liked ditching Izanagi either.

Gazoinks

I always thinking twice to ditching Izanagi too, because fuck man :(

I throw away orpheus like expired instant noodle as fast as possible though lol

Yeah, on my playthrough I kept Izanagi in my stock for a while and felt kind of guilty when I finally retired him. Regrets shortly vanished, though.

No love for Orpheus? Dude's a robot that shreds his giant harp to set things on fire.

Moonlight

Banned
Orpheus is pretty cool, I guess. Rocking on the harp is still my favourite magic thing, but design-wise Orpheus always looked kind of fragile.

Admittedly, part of this was because I really, really liked Thanatos and the bait and switch stung.

fertygo

Yeah, on my playthrough I kept Izanagi in my stock for a while and felt kind of guilty when I finally retired him. Regrets shortly vanished, though.

No love for Orpheus? Dude's a robot that shreds his giant harp to set things on fire.

I'm not big for Orpheus, I take all the convenience with stacking as many arcana as possible for my S. Link routine.

Izanagi make me hard to do that :(

Sophia

Orpheus has a very weak skillset, two major weaknesses, generally doesn't last past level 5, poor initial stats, and you have to downrank just to teach it new abilities.

Izanagi has fairly good stats, a decent starter moveset, only one weakness, resists one element, blocks another, and if you're playing P4G you can get tons of skillcards for it.

So yeah. Orpheus sucks gameplay wise. :(

hao chi

I don't think you want to know how long I held onto Izanagi in vanilla P4. And it's not that I didn't know he was useless for anything other than knockdowns or didn't understand Persona fusions, I just didn't feel like giving him up. :p

Sophia

I don't think you want to know how long I held onto Izanagi in vanilla P4. And it's not that I didn't know he was useless for anything other than knockdowns or didn't understand Persona fusions, I just didn't feel like giving him up. :p

Fair enough. I'm referring to people who hang onto them specifically out of fear of making a mistake. Which happens a lot. ><

Jintor

I want to make two notes about Platinum Games:

- "Overrated" is a term for you not knowing how to articulate what you don't like about something but still disagreeing about a vocal/majority opinion

- Dantis i swear you are the anti-jintor

I want to make two notes about Platinum Games:

- "Overrated" is a term for you not knowing how to articulate what you don't like about something but still disagreeing about a vocal/majority opinion

- Dantis i swear you are the anti-jintor

I played serveral Platinum Games, they are awesome, but they ARE overrated, people treat them like they are gods.

Sophia

I played serveral Platinum Games, they are awesome, but they ARE overrated, people treat them like they are gods.

Overrated is not the term I'd use to describe Platinum Games, as it does a disservice to the real issue. Basically, it's a cop out excuse. As Jintor said, you can't articulate an opinion for whatever reason.

Rather, I'd say that their games are best represented by the phrase "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." The highs of their games are very high, and the games themselves overall solid, but a number of minor issues are present all over their games. Usually in the form of weak spots in their level design.

If they ever do a Vanquish style game with Aigis I will treat them like gods.

but real talk, Hideki Kamiya is a bit of a twat.

Nah. He's simply honest, and dislikes when gamers hold him up on a pedestal and ask him really silly questions over and over. :p

omg, this should totally be edited to be their logo for the LetsPlay. :O

Jintor

I wish i had played Ninja Gaiden Sigma so I could legit say they're the best action team in the business, but iirc, they consistently create incredibly high-quality videogames that often have extremely rad aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom