• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

tumblr_m7fb1xEPJo1r9wko3o1_500.png

wow. hot a what

kewlmyc

Rise has a cheap looking sprite of her own. It's not like it's unprecedented.
Rise also wasn't hinted at in trailers, we already knew she was involved in the game. It would just seem like a letdown for a lot of people. It's like hinting at Skull Kid in Smash, just for him to be an assist trophy.....shit.

If I go missing for a week, just know that I love you all.
Keep your trolling in PersonaGAF. Gaming side clearly isn't ready for it.

Tamanon

Banned
I saw #p4a trending on twitter and wondered why Persona 4 Arena would trend....

Apparently it's something called Project For Awesome?

Necrovex

Dramatic Reinactment of that thread:

Joke-Goes-Over-Your-Head-Star-Trek-Gif.gif

I think we're a little too used to the laid back nature of this thread. Gotta ease up, I guess.

Hey! I started watching Star Trek: TNG for the first time ever yesterday. One day I'll know the meaning of this gif. :-D

EMT0

Banned
I'm sure we'll survive.

Considering it hasn't happened yet, I think you guys are safe for trolling and being an accessory to a troll, respectively.

....so, back to what we would have been doing without you guys possible getting banned.

Lunar15

Labrys dropping a plugged-in toaster into the bath to electrocute herself.

jbqxuoqwIBulMR.png

All things considered, I know you don't like P4A, but what about labrys is bad? She had a good arc and was handled pretty well in my opinion. Heck, she might have been one of the few good parts of that entire story.

Dantis

jbqxuoqwIBulMR.png

All things considered, I know you don't like P4A, but what about labrys is bad? She had a good arc and was handled pretty well in my opinion. Heck, she might have been one of the few good parts of that entire story.

Well I was actually joking.

My honest opinion is that she has a completely shit design, a completely fine character, and a completely awful storyline.

This is a series with UFO's, Hitler, and magical TV's. I fail to see how robots are trashing up the place.

It bothers me when people say things like this. Genuinely!

Lunar15

i want a robot dog hotspring team mate

How'd you get your hands on the leaked P5 document?

Well I was actually joking.

My honest opinion is that she has a completely shit design, a completely fine character, and a completely awful storyline.

That's fair. For having to come up with a character that explains why they're all fighting each other, I think they did well with what they had to work with.

It bothers me when people say things like this. Genuinely!

Well, I guess I just fail to see how robots are more ridiculous than those things. Is it because they're supernatural whereas the robots are actually made to be real things in the universe? I guess I could understand that complaint.

Dantis

Well, I guess I just fail to see how robots are more ridiculous than those things. Is it because they're supernatural whereas the robots are actually made to be real things in the universe? I guess I could understand that complaint.

Speaking generally, not about your comment, I basically feel like it's that kind of disingenuous argument that you always find on the Internet. My main problem is that you're removing all context, which kind of makes it moot anyway, and on top of that, just because one aspect of a creative work is unrealistic doesn't justify ALL unrealistic things. I actually have no problem with Aigis, but I can absolutely see how people would do. There's no narrative justification for her really, particularly in terms of her design. She's just kind of... there.

Lunar15

It helps that the ridiculous UFO and Hitler stuff is acknowledged to be pretty ridiculous by people ingame and are signs that rumors are wrecking havok on reality.

Also the fact that all the robots are teenage girls in school uniforms, it's... they're definitely going for a specific audience.

I think they were already targeting an audience that liked teenage girls in school uniforms, not sure the addition of "robot" was going to bring in this huge secret niche audience where all the dollars are.

Speaking generally, not about your comment, I basically feel like it's that kind of disingenuous argument that you always find on the Internet. My main problem is that you're removing all context, which kind of makes it moot anyway, and on top of that, just because one aspect of a creative work is unrealistic doesn't justify ALL unrealistic things. I actually have no problem with Aigis, but I can absolutely see how people would do. There's no narrative justification for her really, particularly in terms of her design. She's just kind of... there.

No, you're right: it is a trolly argument with no real context. But the conversation was fairly silly to begin with, and I never really intended it to be a great counterpoint. I do feel that robot girls aren't quite as big of a leap in logic as some people make them out to be, but I do agree that there's something about them that doesn't have a lot of narrative justification. It really just seems like Hashino/Soejima wanted a robot girl, so they put in a robot girl.

I mean, I guess if your themes are "life, death, and living a life with purpose" a robot isn't actually a horrible mode to use to explore these themes . But since the world isn't particularly advanced (it is set slightly in the future from when it was released), it does ring a bit unrealistic, moreso than the supernatural elements. I guess ultimately I feel nonplussed by the whole thing. Both characters were well written enough for me to overlook the sheer silliness of their situations.

Remember, I played P4 first. So I just kind of looked at Aigis as P3's teddie. A ridiculous character there to explore the themes of "what is a persona" and "how do you form an ego out of nothing?"

Jintor

I feel they could have explained it away a lot better, but they... just kind of... don't.

At least they got to the Papallion Heart kind of thing and they're at least somewhat kind of tied into persona/human development stuff etc...

But since the world isn't particularly advanced (it is set slightly in the future from when it was released), it does ring a bit unrealistic, moreso than the supernatural elements.

It certainly doesn't help that according to P3's story, Aigis was
initially active in 1999
. Which, I mean, that seems like a weird direction to take considering
P2 also takes place in 1999, so we know the level of technology that existed in the game world at that time

I agree it feels like what's his face wanted a Robot Girl and by G*d they're gonna cram a Robot Girl into the game.

Levito

Banned
Where is the peer-reviewed physics paper on Maya outfit!

just because one aspect of a creative work is unrealistic doesn't justify ALL unrealistic things..

It's entirely up to the writers to justify whatever they want within the fictions universe. Whether they do a good job or not though is a different thing entirely.

SMT is obviously not something steeped in being true to reality in most senses. Even Persona's(or most Japanese media) depiction of High School is not even remotely reflective of what Japanese High School is like.

I see the point your getting at though.

Lunar15

It certainly doesn't help that according to P3's story, Aigis was
initially active in 1999
. Which, I mean, that seems like a weird direction to take considering
P2 also takes place in 1999, so we know the level of technology that existed in the game world at that time

I agree it feels like what's his face wanted a Robot Girl and by G*d they're gonna cram a Robot Girl into the game.

Going into really silly logic mode for a moment, the actual robotics don't seem too ridiculous, the AI is what is hyper advanced. That, however, is explained by the hearts of dusk or whatever. But yes, it's silly. No arguing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom