• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireSol

I don't get the hate for Chie just because she have no special circumstance like other party member, I think that's her role and appeal.

As Dantis sad earlier ppl simplify Chie too much and judge her on her first appearence in the game. But she really shines in s link romance. Not straight after that but with time,evening talk at shopping district, festival, ski trip and Valentine Day. She not as bro kind of girl as it seems, she very charming and her reactions when she embarrassed in 1 on 1 situation shows that well

Tiu Neo

As Dantis sad earlier ppl simplify Chie too much and judge her on her first appearence in the game. But she really shines in s link romance. Not straight after that but with time,evening talk at shopping district, festival, ski trip and Valentine Day. She not as bro kind of girl as it seems, she very charming and her reactions when she embarrassed in 1 on 1 situation shows that well

I think so, too. That's why her romance S. Link is one of my favorites, together with Naoto's. You get to see a side of them you don't really see, normally.

But yeah, she's still a bro, even with that. And that's what makes she cool.

I liked A Twist In The Myth. :(

Otherland is the song that got me into Blind Guardian.

Also, if you like Blind Guardian, you should listen to Persuader. They're like a really angry Blind Guardian. The singer sounds sooo much like Hansi that it's insane.

I liked some songs, but it's not as good as their older albums, for me.

Also, searching for more Persuader songs, too. Damn, it's been years since I discovered so many good bands in a short period of time.

Do you know Savage Circus? It's a band formed by Blind Guardian's ex-drummer, after he left in 2005. Persuader's singer voice was a bit familiar to me, and to my surprise... It's Jens Carlsson, that also sings for Savage Circus!

CorvoSol

Guys guys guys.

I just did the picking up chicks contest in Okina.

I got a psychotic boyfriend, Kanji got a prostitute, and Yosuke got . . .

Oh man oh man I'm freakin' cryin'. Dyin' over here.

Nachos

Guys guys guys.

I just did the picking up chicks contest in Okina.

I got a psychotic boyfriend, Kanji got a prostitute, and Yosuke got . . .

Oh man oh man I'm freakin' cryin'. Dyin' over here.

So is his bike.

I like how quickly it became very clear that he wasn't willing to do any legwork himself.

cj_iwakura

If I had the time and patience I'd upload some comparisons of the EP/EPP OSTs. I notice that some tracks, like the Sky Museum Aflame, remove the creepy vocals.

cj_iwakura

Which tracks specifically are changed significantly? Most of the ones I've heard are just updated versions, like you say.

Here's the most drastic update I've noticed:

Map 1 PS1
Map 1 PSP

Note the amazing guitar at 0:42 in the remix. Not in the original. I love both versions, but the remix shines a lot here. This is one of my favorite tracks, since it's what defines Eternal Punishment's vibe. Optimism with an undercurrent of the mysterious.

I can't recall for the life of me which track added the saxophone. Maybe it was one of the special rearranges?

Bonus: EX Final Battle PSP
EX Final Battle PS1

Same vocals, PSP version adds more shredding.

Intense song either way.

Actually, on a relisten, the remix takes out some of the other sounds and replaces them with the guitar, like the bass beat(da da da dadada) and the synthesized bells.

I think the Ken hate is probably the most insane aspect of the Persona fanbase. People just mad cause he got their brooding boy toy killed :p
Dude was only with you for like a dungeon or two. I gave no fucks about what's his face dying.
A lot of people did though. I personally did not find him a compelling character.

Caladrius

Ken and Shinjiro are just kind of there for me. Shinji just felt like a plot device to trigger Akihiko's character development and Ken felt like a plot device to (MAJOR P3 SPOILER)
get Shinji killed
. Needless to say I didn't feel much for that scene.

fertygo

That scene is very cringe worthy to me, man its should've one of RPG rules that shouldn't to disobey that you not allowed (Major P3 Spoiler)
to kill character on-screen unless the character impaled in heart or something, its silly to see death like that with we seeing they fighting all kind of monster
/semi-rant

Shinjiro S-Link in P3P is really great though, and one of Romance S-link that actually feel sweet.. mainly because the romance itself have little portion on the S-Link itself and more about Shinjiro himself..

They should write more romance S-Link with pattern like that.

California Potato Powers
also someone translated Mitsuru's character video.
tumblr_inline_mz6mbqX5MV1qk2s8g.png
rip in peas Teddie
So Chie desperately wants to eat Mitsuru?

Meatsuru.
gKWeCCE.gif

Wow, that doesn't sound like her at all

I hope they don't completely flanderize her
I'd expect flanderization across the board in this game honestly. Not like that's a bad thing, non-canon fun crossover game and all, I personally don't mind.
Rise's pretty much the canonical love interest in the manga, if I recall.
and suddenly a great gust of wind is heard as Smedwicks rushes to the nearest store to buy all the manga :p
The robot voices crack me up every time lol

Moonlight

Banned
Junpei I get, but later he got one as well...

Yukari? How come she not have extraordinary circumstances.. If anything she got the bigger one.
Extraordinary circumstances are not the same thing as extraordinary people. Chie wound up in 'extraordinary circumstances' too, as a matter of principle. The point I'm making is that Yukari and Junpei are both grounded characters with reasonably grounded personal issues and deal with them in reasonably grounded ways. Hell, both of them are distinctly out of their depth when it comes to all the crazy stuff happening around them.

As promised, here's the second wave of Persona Q iOS wallpapers:

Fuuka Yamagishi

Rise Kujikawa

And, in case you missed it the first time around, the complete set (so far) can be found here. Enjoy-- now, to get that Rise one on my phone... :)
YES. Definitely upgrading to Rise. Thanks!

fertygo

Extraordinary circumstances are not the same thing as extraordinary people. Chie wound up in 'extraordinary circumstances' too, as a matter of principle. The point I'm making is that Yukari and Junpei are both grounded characters with reasonably grounded personal issues and deal with them in reasonably grounded ways. Hell, both of them are distinctly out of their depth when it comes to all the crazy stuff happening around them.

I think you missing my point entirely (its my fault for poor wording though)
Yukari and Junpei have biggest character arc in the game about their issue, every other Party member also have bit like that, they have their own major issue and being uneasy at some point.

Meanwhile Chie's issue got resolved pretty early, and not really have other circumstances hidden in her S-Link like other party member and remain as the only party member that stay with same wavelength throughout the game.. I guess that's what people dislike about her and that's perfectly valid but in same time its also valid point to see that as part of her role for establishing the dynamic early as we pretty much we completely know her as character at that point, I think that's also the reason why people could like her pretty fast.

CorvoSol

So is his bike.

I like how quickly it became very clear that he wasn't willing to do any legwork himself.

Yosuke is kind of a punk, but since I was pretty lousy and a lot of guys I knew were pretty lousy as teenagers, I can cut him a break.

Operation Babe Hunt

One of the best new P4G events, haha

I did the camping part, too. Haha, man it was like 4 am and I was laughing my ass off.

Is there any doubt to Yosuke being the best character

Iol

I waver back and forth between liking Yosuke and getting kinda ticked at him. Like he was a major brat during the camping thing. His
homophobia is what lead to Kanji rushing out of the tent and causing like, everything that happened that night.
On the other hand, Yosuke
was carrying around two bathing suits for the express purpose of forcing Chie and Yukiko into them
which was simultaneously hilarious and horrific.

But I mean, I give Yosuke a lot of slack for his negative traits because he's a teenager and it's likely he'll grow out of some of the bigger ones.

PK Gaming

Yosuke is kind of a punk, but since I was pretty lousy and a lot of guys I knew were pretty lousy as teenagers, I can cut him a break.

But I mean, I give Yosuke a lot of slack for his negative traits because he's a teenager and it's likely he'll grow out of some of the bigger ones.
Yes to all of this.

CorvoSol

Yosuke got approved by Corvo, aw yiss.

I honestly like most every character in P4. They've got a lot of charm and personality going for them. Unlike SMT4, where a significant portion of the main cast is overshadowed by Nozomi.

"Hello there, Mr. Samurai" indeed.

I think the problem I had with SMT4's characters, specifically Jonathon and Walter, was that
they go from being my allies to my mortal enemies off screen. Like, Jonathon makes a racist remark right before the final battle that makes no sense, because he'd never, ever been racist or classist or whatever prior to that point. Walter's even worse because they make an attempt at building some drama prior to that moment in the fight, but because Flynn has no personality at all, when Walter dies the game doesn't even really stop to play sad music about it. It's just like "Hey you just killed your bro" and Burroughs is like "CONGRATULATIONS ON COMPLETING THE QUEST, MASTER". The story could've worked, but the endgame was just so . . . flat.

fertygo

I honestly like most every character in P4. They've got a lot of charm and personality going for them. Unlike SMT4, where a significant portion of the main cast is overshadowed by Nozomi.

"Hello there, Mr. Samurai" indeed.

I think the problem I had with SMT4's characters, specifically Jonathon and Walter, was that
they go from being my allies to my mortal enemies off screen. Like, Jonathon makes a racist remark right before the final battle that makes no sense, because he'd never, ever been racist or classist or whatever prior to that point. Walter's even worse because they make an attempt at building some drama prior to that moment in the fight, but because Flynn has no personality at all, when Walter dies the game doesn't even really stop to play sad music about it. It's just like "Hey you just killed your bro" and Burroughs is like "CONGRATULATIONS ON COMPLETING THE QUEST, MASTER". The story could've worked, but the endgame was just so . . . flat.
Persona game is have very different approach for character than mainline SMT game, I think you shouldn't even compare them.

Persona character is very quirky and Mainline SMT game usually intentionally have dry and drab cast.

Moonlight

Banned
Junpei's a much better bro than Yosuke, but Yosuke is still great. He's a goof and pretty immature, but he's generally well-meaning. Count me as a Yosuke fan.

I think you missing my point entirely (its my fault for poor wording though)
Yukari and Junpei have biggest character arc in the game about their issue, every other Party member also have bit like that, they have their own major issue and being uneasy at some point.

Meanwhile Chie's issue got resolved pretty early, and not really have other circumstances hidden in her S-Link like other party member and remain as the only party member that stay with same wavelength throughout the game.. I guess that's what people dislike about her and that's perfectly valid but in same time its also valid point to see that as part of her role for establishing the dynamic early as we pretty much we completely know her as character at that point, I think that's also the reason why people could like her pretty fast.
Ah, I see what you mean, sorry. I'd definitely agree, actually. There's an appeal to the constancy of Chie's character and outlook in the group dynamic, in any case - you could almost say she's the rock.

Acosta

I didn't like Yosuke because he basically forced my character to do shit that my serious and collected character wouldn't do in any case. Aside of asking me favours after favours and making me to answer all his questions in class (come on dude, put some attention!),

At some times he looked needy, desperate and delusional and not even in his best moments he makes for it, aside of thinking his personal evolution was not that big at all. Kanji for example had some really, really stupid moments, but his personal evolution is great and at his best moments he really shines, I didn't feel the same way with Yosuke.

I would have loved that Kou or Daisuke were companions instead of Yosuke.

Lunar15

Yosuke is full of complexes, and I think that's pretty great. He's a walking train wreck that tries to simultaneously be cool and do the right thing.

His arc is him owning up to his insecurities and his jealousy towards you. The neat thing about using tarots as characterizations is because you can start the characters in the reverse and show them trying to attain the true meaning of the card. Yosuke wants to be talented and loved, but struggles with both due to himself and his circumstances.

I think that while we over exaggerate the quality of the writing in Persona, its core strength is that the characters are often contradictory. Just due to having both shadows and tarot as themes, the characters have a bit of duality to them that makes them a little more fleshed out than just one or two tropes. One of the game's central themes is taking the good with the bad. I think it's funny because a lot of people here tend to focus on the negatives of these characters, when these characters were given a lot of negatives on purpose. Its when you get to know them that they become warm, interesting characters.

Also, I'm really happy that it sounds like we're going to get a decent amount of Lotus Juice in PQ's soundtrack. He had some fun stuff in P3. Missed him in P4 a bit.

Acid08

Banned
So I decided to play P1 PSP before I get to P2. I wasn't planning on it at first but I feel like I should at least give it a go. I want to see the beginning of it all.

Gazoinks

It still kills me inside that Persona 1 and 2 dont even have a single mention or reference on Persona Channel

Yeah. I can respect Hashino's desire to not mess with their continuity since they're not his games, but surely they at least deserve a mention as part of the history of the series?

Dantis

...Actually not what I thought you were gonna say

That's why I said it. ;)

We both know the real reason. It's because they're not Lord Hashino's games.

Also, on the Chie discussion, she's the only lady whose romance path I've never followed in P4. Not sure what that shows, but it's probably something.

That's why I said it. ;)

We both know the real reason. It's because they're not Lord Hashino's games.

Also, on the Chie discussion, she's the only lady whose romance path I've never followed in P4. Not sure what that shows, but it's probably something.

At least have a fucking legacy section. "Hey, here are these games that we didnt have much of a hand in, But if these guys didnt make these games, we wouldn't be where we are today! Thanks you guys for making them and we will continue your legacy with pride!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom