• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

At least have a fucking legacy section. "Hey, here are these games that we didnt have much of a hand in, But if these guys didnt make these games, we wouldn't be where we are today! Thanks you guys for making them and we will continue your legacy with pride!"

This definitely seems like a worthwhile expenditure of time and money.

PK Gaming

So I decided to play P1 PSP before I get to P2. I wasn't planning on it at first but I feel like I should at least give it a go. I want to see the beginning of it all.
P1 is at least passable as on the gameplay front, and the narrative is decent. It's a pretty easy game too, so you should be able to fly through it in 20-25 hours without any fuss. That said, I think Persona 2 is the overall better experience because it's more ambitious and the characters are way better. It comes down to decent gameplay VS great story.

fertygo

P1 is at least passable as on the gameplay front, and the narrative is decent. It's a pretty easy game too, so you should be able to fly through it in 20-25 hours. That said, I think P2's the overall better experience because it's more ambitious.

P1 > P2 IS for me

The gameplay is great and still have the best dungeon on the series (how sad)

But I guess my point only could applied for my experience so far Snow Queen Quest

I actually haven't touch the SEBEC route despite that's the main route. Have no any regret though, Yukino is great on there!

cj_iwakura

The P1 remake we got and the P2EP remake we didn't get overseas yes, the P2IS remake is a messed up one so no.

It's not really messed up. They only rebalanced the final boss, and with good reason. They made him as easy as the rest of the game, instead of an absurd difficulty spike.

At least have a fucking legacy section. "Hey, here are these games that we didnt have much of a hand in, But if these guys didnt make these games, we wouldn't be where we are today! Thanks you guys for making them and we will continue your legacy with pride!"
The whole point of the persona channel is to promote upcoming persona media. P3 is getting 3 fucking movies and the cast will star in P4A2 and PQ. The persona 4 cast is getting their own music game with songs remixed by some of the most famous music producers in Japan, not to mention that the P4 cast will also star in P4D and PQ. What upcoming games are P2 characters starring in? Nyarla is like the only P2 character that is relevant from that franchise and him alone does earn P2 a spot on the persona channel.

Acid08

Banned
The P1 remake we got and the P2EP remake we didn't get overseas yes, the P2IS remake is a messed up one so no.
Don't see how that's relevant. They put the effort into getting those games out there again. That says much more to me than sticking a paragraph about them on some website.

PK Gaming

Idk, EP is harder than P3/P4 IMO.

EP is more tedious than difficult, since getting good Persona's takes a long time. I managed to get beat the game at an exceedingly low level of 58 (the Gamefaqs guide suggested I should be at lvl 69~72 range) and I used Maia prime for 80% of the game to boot. Fusion spells honestly break this game in half, even with the nerfs; random encounters are a joke, and bosses are pretty weak (even Was Sugiwara was cakewalk when I stopped being stupid).

The only challenging boss was the final boss.

cj_iwakura

EP is more tedious than difficult, since getting good Persona's takes a long time. I managed to get beat the game at an exceedingly low level of 58 (the Gamefaqs guide suggested I should be at lvl 69~72) and I used Maia' prime for 80% of the game to boot. Fusion spells honestly break this game in half, even with the nerfs.

The Joker bosses are tougher than anything in P3. Fusion helps a lot, but when I didn't understand them, the game nearly broke me.

SQQ is tough, yeah. It's a tossup between that and EP's EX Dungeon.

Daimaou

EP is more tedious than difficult, since getting good Persona's takes a long time. I managed to get beat the game at an exceedingly low level of 58 (the Gamefaqs guide suggested I should be at lvl 69~72) and I used Maia' prime for 80% of the game to boot. Fusion spells honestly break this game in half, even with the nerfs.

If you know how to approach them, none of the Persona games are hard. They're turn based RPGs, they're not exactly Dark World Cotton Alley in Super Meat Boy.

PK Gaming

The Joker bosses are tougher than anything in P3. Fusion helps a lot, but when I didn't understand them, the game nearly broke me.
It's only hard if If you fall for old maid. Once you figure it out, there's honestly nothing to worry about.

P3 is the only Persona game where I would occasionally die in random encounters.
If you know how to approach them, none of the Persona games are hard. They're turn based RPGs, they're not exactly Dark World Cotton Alley in Super Meat Boy.
In my defense, I went into Persona 2:EP blind, and I still managed to beat it without any issue. On the other hand, P3 had stumped me on a few occassions. But yeah, Persona games are pretty easy overall. In terms of difficulty:

P3 > P4 > P2:EP > P1 > P2:IS

cj_iwakura

It's only hard if If you fall for old maid. Once you figure it out, there's honestly nothing to worry about.

P3 is the only Persona game where I would occasionally die in random encounters.

Well yeah, that's bound to happen in an MC dies = game over title. P1 & P2 were a lot fairer in that regard, but it felt like bosses were more adept at wiping out the entire team to make up for it.

fertygo

Yeah but at least P3-P4 have typically front-loaded challenge.

I think anything until you reach level 35 (at hard difficulty) is way harder than P1-P2 offer.

Daimaou

In my defense, I went into Persona 2:EP blind, and I still managed to beat it without any issue. On the other hand, P3 had stumped me on a few occassions. But yeah, Persona games are pretty easy overall. In terms of difficulty:

P3 > P4 > P2:EP > P1 > P2:IS

I assume you played IS before that, though? It's not like that knowledge doesn't carry forward.

Yeah but at least P3-P4 have typically front-loaded challenge.

I think anything until you reach level 35 (at hard difficulty) is way harder than P1-P2 offer.

All SMT games are hardest at the beginning, since it's when your options are most limited.

PK Gaming

I assume you played IS before that, though? It's not like that knowledge doesn't carry forward.
Yeah, but only the fundamentals (which are quickly taught to players in the tutorial). Boss strategies, contacts, and Persona fusing were things I had to relearn on my own. Relearning fusing in particular was somewhat troubling, since I couldn't coast through the game with the initial Persona like in IS. I actually ended up fusing a lot "cool-looking" Persona that were pretty crappy, haha.

But in spite of all that, I still thought the game as a whole was moderately easy. Almost entirely due to the broken fusion spell system. I'm tempted to replay through EP without using fusion spells at all, and seeing how it would work.

EDIT: I guess I should add an addendum to my original post and say that P4G is probably easier than P2:EP. P4 had some particularly nasty bosses early on (Shadow Yukiko, Shadow Kanji) that were neutered in P4G, and Persona maintenance was a lot harder.

That's why I said it. ;)

We both know the real reason. It's because they're not Lord Hashino's games.

Also, on the Chie discussion, she's the only lady whose romance path I've never followed in P4. Not sure what that shows, but it's probably something.

It shows you're a bad person

Daimaou

I'll contest Nocturne against this statement. The only thing harder than Matador is the late game.

Only Noah and Trumpeter aren't completely ground to dust by buffs/debuffs, since they have somewhat puzzle-y elements to their fights. Matador teaches you that early and it holds true for the rest of the game.

Meia

Chie is an awesome bro, and you dont romance your bros, soooo

I'll say it, even if it pains me to as she's my favorite of the cast of 4, but she easily could have been one of the first non-romancable opposite sex characters and it would have been fine. She's one of the only ones that actually gets up the courage to pretty much confess to you, leaving the ball in your court, and she doesn't run home crying if you turn her down. Just.....total bro.

Nachos

Yosuke is kind of a punk, but since I was pretty lousy and a lot of guys I knew were pretty lousy as teenagers, I can cut him a break.

But I mean, I give Yosuke a lot of slack for his negative traits because he's a teenager and it's likely he'll grow out of some of the bigger ones.

I know, I was just saying that I actually liked that he was seemingly so gung-ho about all the motorcycle stuff, yet when it came time to act, he was just paralyzed. Like since others have already said, it's the disconnect between how he wants to be and how he actually is that does a really good job of defining his character.

Persona game is have very different approach for character than mainline SMT game, I think you shouldn't even compare them.

Persona character is very quirky and Mainline SMT game usually intentionally have dry and drab cast.
Even so, dryness shouldn't equate to clumsy storytelling. For a game supposedly defined by the interlocking conflicts between the various factions, I found them all really lacking.

PK Gaming

It's hard for me to imagine any Persona game being easier than P4G. That game was a breeeeeeeeeeeeze to get through.
I didn't use Dia skills until the halfway point in P2:IS

Until the the halfway point

Hell I even made my own personal challenge of banning armor (so the characters were effectively naked in combat) and it was still too easy.

>_>

kewlmyc

I'll say it, even if it pains me to as she's my favorite of the cast of 4, but she easily could have been one of the first non-romancable opposite sex characters and it would have been fine. She's one of the only ones that actually gets up the courage to pretty much confess to you, leaving the ball in your court, and she doesn't run home crying if you turn her down. Just.....total bro.
Completely true. Same for Naoto.

PK Gaming

Chie is an awesome bro, and you dont romance your bros, soooo
tumblr_mz76uxjwoe1sadtdbo9_500.gif

CorvoSol

I know, I was just saying that I actually liked that he was seemingly so gung-ho about all the motorcycle stuff, yet when it came time to act, he was just paralyzed. Like since others have already said, it's the disconnect between how he wants to be and how he actually is that does a really good job of defining his character.

I think I like Yosuke because he seems realistic for a teenage character. I'm used to Final Fantasy where at 18 years old Terra Branford is a living weapon of mass-destruction and by age 30 Cecil Harvey is God Emperor of the Solar System.

I mean, comparing Yosuke's behavior to say, Hope Estheim's makes Yosuke out to be a much more believable character. I appreciate the subtlety to his character, such as it is.

Sounds like KH, haha. "I'm not including characters I didn't design in this game because I didn't design them!" C'mon, Nomura. Just give me Cecil, Kain and Golbez. Thank goodness he was forced to do it for Dissidia. Game's friggin' gold.

Nachos

I think I like Yosuke because he seems realistic for a teenage character. I'm used to Final Fantasy where at 18 years old Terra Branford is a living weapon of mass-destruction and by age 30 Cecil Harvey is God Emperor of the Solar System.

I mean, comparing Yosuke's behavior to say, Hope Estheim's makes Yosuke out to be a much more believable character. I appreciate the subtlety to his character, such as it is.
Yeah, I totally agree. He could be a real shithead at times, but I honestly doubt most teens aren't at least at some point when growing up. Aside from the entire camping incident, he really didn't do anything that repulsive, and he really benefited from having characterization beyond just being the story mouthpiece until Naoto came along.

CorvoSol

So far in P4 it actually kinda looks to me like Yosuke x Chie and Yukiko and Kanji are the natural pairs. Mostly because after making everyone sit through "WHAT IF KANJI IS GAY?" Naoto vanished into the ether. Had to make main guy cool his jets with Yukiko because things started going REALLY fast after finally being able to romance her.

Now it looks like J-Pop star Rise is coming to town, so I think I'll date her just to further rub salt into Yosuke's wounds.

Played a bit more P3. I know I'm hilariously early in the game, but man, the tower is the most dull aspect of the entire thing. Like in P4 there's been a good amount of "gosh this TV world is weird" and it's tied to a murder mystery and the mental problems of the cast.

The tower is just this place that Mitsuru makes me go run around in at night.

ALSO DID WE NEED TO POST UNMARKED IMAGES FROM P4G'S ENDING? I AM SORT OF PLAYING THAT GAME GUYS. GEEZ. I mean spoiling a gender for me is one thing, but the ending? Come ooooooooooooooon.

Jintor

Kanji's is a golden bullet, Naoto's is unidentifiable besides being silver.

It's a stretch!

Damn you! The chances of Soejima putting a bullet necklace on two characters seemed like irrefutable evidence, but now apparently bullet necklaces are just in style!

Damn I forgot how adult Naoto looks in the epilogue though.

FluxWaveZ

ALSO DID WE NEED TO POST UNMARKED IMAGES FROM P4G'S ENDING? I AM SORT OF PLAYING THAT GAME GUYS. GEEZ. I mean spoiling a gender for me is one thing, but the ending? Come ooooooooooooooon.

Yep. Might be wise to avoid general discussion threads related to games you really don't want spoiled, though.

CorvoSol

Yep. Might be wise to avoid general discussion threads related to games you really don't want spoiled, though.

Sure, that's why I didn't throw a fit when I got spoiled on Naoto's gender. Hazard of walking into a community thread. But spoiling the ending to a game? Come on. That shit should be marked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom