• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

ramyeon

The anime really makes Aika, so there's at least that.

Edit: I mean she's a character instead of just a reference. She's obviously still quite minor.
She wasn't even mentioned in P4 vanilla. They added references to her in Golden to give nods to the anime.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's Hermit month all year 'round for me.

iKSpytRD9Za82.jpg

This is basically me when I am not working.

Acid08

Banned
I kept on showing up at Aiya's in Golden expecting for an S-Link with Aika to start but nope. Nothing.
Yeah for how often the Aiya owner mentioned her I expected to at least have some kind of scene where you finally meet her.

cjkeats

The anime is all on The Anime Network for free subbed, the dub is there, but locked behind a subscription. I believe they were the ones simucasting it when it was airing. I watched it there before it was dubbed.

PK Gaming

I'm sorry! You do a lot of work around here, so I figured I'd help out. Besides, it's my goal to become the legend of Inaba... or PersonaGAF -- whichever!

It will be great, no doubt, but every month is Rise month. ;-)

Also, nice write-up on Persona 4: The Animation!

Haha no worries man.

And thanks, I just felt like spilling my guts on the subject for some reason

cjkeats

The subs are on Hulu as well. Stuff goes up there weekly almost as often as Crunchyroll.
So I keep hearing. A lot of the stuff missing from Netflix/cruchyroll is on the anime network and hulu, just the anime network has the benefit of not being trapped to US only.
It's missing an app, but the video player works in the ps3 browser very nicely.

Squire

Banned
So I keep hearing. A lot of the stuff missing from Netflix/cruchyroll is on the anime network and hulu, just the anime network has the benefit of not being trapped to US only.
It's missing an app, but the video player works in the ps3 browser very nicely.

That sucks about Hulu though. It's really slick and they get everything that's popular. People keep recommending me Crunchyroll for Fate/zero, but it's all on Hulu! XD

etrain911

I just found out that the Persona 4 musical project got C and D'd by Atlus. I was really looking forward to it. I feel like it really would've turned out well. Oh well. :(

Squire

Banned
I just found out that the Persona 4 musical project got C and D'd by Atlus. I was really looking forward to it. I feel like it really would've turned out well. Oh well. :(

That's sort of surprising, since they seem to be fine with the couple community podcasts that are out there. I wonder if the team doing the musical was going to monetize it somehow...

Although, there have been a ton of podcasts for Final Fantasy and other series. Shows never get hit, but video projects do quite often.

That's sort of surprising, since they seem to be fine with the couple community podcasts that are out there. I wonder if the team doing the musical was going to monetize it somehow...

Although, there have been a ton of podcasts for Final Fantasy and other series. Shows never get hit, but video projects do quite often.

And now this suddenly makes sense. They were planning on doing paid performances.

CorvoSol

So aside from the fact that everything is really suspicious at the start of P3, I'd like to point out that Mitsuru does a crap job of lying. Makoto's all "YOU HAVE GUNS. WHY." and Yukari's like "UH IT'S NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE." Then Mitsuru's like "It's for self defense. They're not real!"

THEN HOW IS IT FOR SELF DEFENSE?

So aside from the fact that everything is really suspicious at the start of P3, I'd like to point out that Mitsuru does a crap job of lying. Makoto's all "YOU HAVE GUNS. WHY." and Yukari's like "UH IT'S NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE." Then Mitsuru's like "It's for self defense. They're not real!"

THEN HOW IS IT FOR SELF DEFENSE?

lol. It's probably implying "Hey this is something that looks like a gun to scare people away".

But yeah, it is still a crap lie.

Sophia

There's hardly even any point to lying to the protagonist, seeing as he's been experiencing the Dark Hour since before he got to the dorm. As the opening shows.

The worst part is that gun laws in Japan are super strict, to the point that usually only cops and criminals who obtain them illegally ever carry them. Heck, (P4 spoilaz)
Adachi became a police officer solely so that he could own a gun, which speaks volumes in itself.

I have a really hard time believing that anyone as smart as Mitsuru would make up such a dumb, flimsy excuse. Is her dialogue the same in the Japanese version, or was it changed for North American audiences who are used to more lenient firearms limitations?

Sophia

The worst part is that gun laws in Japan are super strict, to the point that usually only cops and criminals who obtain them illegally ever carry them. Heck, (P4 spoilaz)
Adachi became a police officer solely so that he could own a gun, which speaks volumes in itself.

I have a really hard time believing that anyone as smart as Mitsuru would make up such a dumb, flimsy excuse. Is her dialogue the same in the Japanese version, or was it changed for North American audiences who are used to more lenient firearms limitations?

I'd like to say it's the same or similar, given how Atlus localized other parts of the game, but I haven't actually seen that particular dialogue choice in question.

You see, unlike when I do it to you, this does not bother me :p

>walks past a bunch of coffins
OH YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING, ALL IS FINE

Oh, I'm just doing it cause it fits :p

And yeah the intro scene was both great and confusing watching it the first time. Even more so when watching someone else watch it.

CorvoSol

lol. It's probably implying "Hey this is something that looks like a gun to scare people away".

But yeah, it is still a crap lie.

Yeah that's the best I could come up with for it.

There's hardly even any point to lying to the protagonist, seeing as he's been experiencing the Dark Hour since before he got to the dorm. As the opening shows.

The weirdest parts for me are 1)Of all the weird things going on he never brings that up. You can ask Yukari about the gun and about the creepy kid but you can't ask about the coffins or the blood or the giant moon or why your headphones suddenly stopped. and 2) He just knows to point the gun at his own head.

The weirdest parts for me are 1)Of all the weird things going on he never brings that up. You can ask Yukari about the gun and about the creepy kid but you can't ask about the coffins or the blood or the giant moon or why your headphones suddenly stopped. and 2) He just knows to point the gun at his own head.

Well he did see Yukari doing it that way. Also Creepy Ghost kid was messing with him.

Sophia

#1 is actually explained later on, and #2 is basically a byproduct of the Evokers (they induce fear and the death instinct in people), plus he saw Yukari do it.

CorvoSol

#1 is actually explained later on, and #2 is basically a byproduct of the Evokers (they induce fear and the death instinct in people), plus he saw Yukari do it.

Wait, the gun makes you even more afraid to die when you pick it up than a normal gun?

Sophia

Wait, the gun makes you even more afraid to die when you pick it up than a normal gun?

To summon a Persona, you need to have that fear impulse that comes from a life or death situation. Mitsuru can actually summon hers with no special tools, similar to how the Persona 1 and Persona 2 summon theirs. The Evoker just makes the whole process more reliable as it invokes that fear impulse for you. Essentially, they recreate the act of putting a gun to your head and committing suicide, without actually doing so.

CorvoSol

To summon a Persona, you need to have that fear impulse that comes from a life or death situation. Mitsuru can actually summon hers with no special tools, similar to how the Persona 1 and Persona 2 summon theirs. The Evoker just makes the whole process more reliable as it invokes that fear impulse for you.

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. I thought the gun was like double scary or something.

PK Gaming

For #2, the cutscene exclusive to PS2 version of the game makes it clear that he's urged to use the evoker by the creepy kid.

Sophia

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. I thought the gun was like double scary or something.

The gun is about as scary as a real gun to it's wielder, which is why Yukari was having problems at the start of the game.

For #2, the cutscene exclusive to PS2 version of the game makes it clear that he's urged to use the evoker by the creepy kid.

Yeah there's this too. Which was actually kind of important later on but whatever.

Top Bottom