• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PK Gaming

I like how Shadow Aigis/Shadow Yukari/Shadow Junpei aren't just the standard generic WE EVIL SHADOW KILL YOU BONDS SUCK type quotes.

Word

Shadow Aigis
general
"You have to use power! So that a world might be created where only the strong survive!" (SMT5 Chaos hero confirmed)

Shadow Akihiko
vs. Akihiko:
"Is this the end of your escapism that you call 'training'? The death that awaits you after this is nothing but reality!"(Someone points it out, FINALLY)

Shadow Yukari
vs. Mitsuru:
"You hold a just cause over your head, and call us 'friends' only when it's convenient for you. In the end, you've only used us as tools, haven't you?"
This quote is great because
Yukari actually thought this in P3.

Sophia

It's not good. Seriously. The same anime director went on to direct Dangan Ronpa. Heard that sucked as well. He should just quit doing these games to anime adaptations.

The director, Seiji Kishi, did the P4 anime too. He's a hack of a director with his only real talent in comedy. :\

Acid08

Banned
Shadow Yukari
vs. Mitsuru:
"You hold a just cause over your head, and call us 'friends' only when it's convenient for you. In the end, you've only used us as tools, haven't you?"
This quote is great because
Yukari actually thought this in P3.

That's preeeeetty good.

The director, Seiji Kishi, did the P4 anime too. He's a hack of a director with his only real talent in comedy. :\

The problem with all of Seji Kishi's anime adaptations of the video games series he did, were that they were trying to condense a lot of stuff into(in the case of Danganronpa and Devil Survivor 2) 12 episodes, which was pretty bad in my opinion because the both adaptions became kinda of a very abridged version of the games. And not very good ones. This wasn't the only issues but this was major one.

Persona 4 anime was fine, but still had some issues, mostly form it being too similar to the game. I kinda wished that had to some degree deviated from the game, because I felt that they could have made it a lot better and maybe more interesting. The first major problem were the Shadow Fights. The Shadow fights that were at least somewhat interesting was
Shadow Chie and Shadow Yukiko
and was mostly from how they presented the fight, with jumping into the victim's mind and seeing it from their perspective. The other ones were very similar to the game and lacked anything that made them like I know the characters on a deeper level And why they feel that way. Another one where I wished they had deviated was a later episode in the anime, but I won't spoil which one.

And yeah the guy cannot do drama really that well, I won't deny that.

Squire

Banned
I think to make a really great anime adaption of Persona 4 (or even P3, for that matter) you need to go the 50-episode route.

kewlmyc

It's not good. Seriously. The same anime director went on to direct Dangan Ronpa. Heard that sucked as well. He should just quit doing these games to anime adaptations.

The anime was so fucking trash, it was literally borrowing assets from the game. Using the same CGs and FMVs. Also skipped over crucial clues for the cases. It was terrible. OP song was good though.

I think to make a really great anime adaption of Persona 4 (or even P3, for that matter) you need to go the 50-episode route.
I think that might actually be a little too much actually. Then again, I thought the P4 anime was actually a good adaption (other than their treatment of Kanji), so what do I know.

Omikaru

Well, that explains why I liked 'Humanity Has Declined', which he directed.

He's only supervising (i.e. doing nothing) on the P3 movies, and impressions of the first one seem pretty positive. Hoping we get a localisation of that at some point.

I think you either need to cut a lot of things, rejigg some stories/s.links (such as some of the changes made in the P3 movie) and make it a tightly-written and compact show which may not be totally faithful to the source material, but captures what made it so great and transitions it well to the new medium, or you do as you suggest and just go the whole hog with a 50 episode show.

P4: The Animation definitely was trapped somewhere between those two, not sure of what it wanted to be. Couple that with some poor direction on the action scenes, and some mediocre drama, and the whole thing felt like it was missing what made P4 so special. The anime only nailed the comedy bits, in my view.

Sophia

Well, that explains why I liked 'Humanity Has Declined', which he directed.

He's only supervising (i.e. doing nothing) on the P3 movies, and impressions of the first one seem pretty positive. Hoping we get a localisation of that at some point.

To be fair, he is pretty good at comedy. His stuff for Carnival Phantasm is hilarious.

kewlmyc

Honestly, I can't see them doing two seasons for Persona 4. The school sections would just drag on so much.

How I feel exactly. 50 episodes means multiple episode dedicated to one social link, which to a person who never played the game, would suck. "Why are we focusing 3 episodes to the soccer guy who is afraid of vaginas?"

To be fair, he is pretty good at comedy. His stuff for Carnival Phantasm is hilarious.

He did that? Carnival Phantasma was great excluding the 3 rejected heroines comedy bits.

FluxWaveZ

I like how Shadow Aigis/Shadow Yukari/Shadow Junpei aren't just the standard generic WE EVIL SHADOW KILL YOU BONDS SUCK type quotes.

A lot of them talk about that stuff, but I do like how they still each have their own distinct personalities based on who they represent.

I doubt there will be (m)any, but Shadow vs. Shadow quotes would be weird and interesting.

The anime was so fucking trash, it was literally borrowing assets from the game. Using the same CGs and FMVs. Also skipped over crucial clues for the cases. It was terrible. OP song was good though.

I think that might actually be a little too much actually. Then again, I thought the P4 anime was actually a good adaption (other than their treatment of Kanji), so what do I know.
Yeah that made think they were being lazy with using the execution FMVs from the game.

Though like you said Never Say Never is a good OP to be sure.

Although you could say that for Sky's the Limit (Persona 4 Opening 1), Key Plus Words (Persona 4 Opening 2), Take Your Way (Devil Survivor 2 Opening). The anime's he's worked on have had some good openings.

A lot of them talk about that stuff, but I do like how they still each have their own distinct personalities based on who they represent.

I doubt there will be (m)any, but Shadow vs. Shadow quotes would be weird and interesting.

There aren't any. They're lacking in some character vs. character quotes as is.

FluxWaveZ

There aren't any. They're lacking in some character vs. character quotes as is.

You mean in the pastebin? Yeah, it's incomplete, but I meant that I wonder if there'll be any Shadow vs. Shadow quotes in the final game.

It would be weird to have a Shadow defeat another and then talk about how bonds are useless or how they failed to save the world as a general quote when they'd be on the same mental wavelength.

You mean in the pastebin? Yeah, it's incomplete, but I meant that I wonder if there'll be any Shadow vs. Shadow quotes in the final game.

It would be weird to have a Shadow defeat another and then talk about how bonds are useless or how they failed to save the world as a general quote when they'd be on the same mental wavelength.

Maybe in the final release, but I mean there aren't any Shadow vs. Shadow specific quotes at all, translated or untranslated. I don't think it's that big of an issue, given that Shadows only fight each other in non-story modes at least.

Eh, P4TA is fairly enjoyable to me so far. I really liked the scene where
Chie helps Yukiko overcome her shadow.

I'm enjoying it as well. Although, they went a little overboard with the bear puns.

vs. Akihiko:
"Hehe, and one from senpai! I did it! Who's da man?"

Oh, Junpei, you rascal.

vs. Shadow Junpei:
"If you're going to imitate me, be more handsome! Was I really that evil-looking?"

Truly da man.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe in the final release, but I mean there aren't any Shadow vs. Shadow specific quotes at all, translated or untranslated. I don't think it's that big of an issue, given that Shadows only fight each other in non-story modes at least.

Hm, I wonder. You think there won't be any Shadow vs. Shadow fights in the game's actual story mode? I can't say I expect there to be, but I wouldn't bet against the possibility, either.

For now, yeah, it makes sense that there aren't any Shadow vs. Shadow specific quotes (though P4A mirror fights weren't possible and they have their own win quotes), though they'll probably have to disable some win quotes or something unless they don't mind if they don't make any sense against each other.

Yosuke manga avatars!

tumblr_inline_n0ec04J7oF1qhaskl.png
tumblr_inline_n0ec0dVlZV1qhaskl.png
tumblr_inline_n0ec10pU8i1qhaskl.png

Didn't see it posted; sorry if I'm late!

CorvoSol

I'll second you on that. One of the things the anime did great.

I think the reason you don't see it as much in the game is because things're told from Yu's perspective, but I kinda would have liked best friends Chie and Yukiko to interact more.

I'm enjoying it as well. Although, they went a little overboard with the bear puns.

The best part of the bear puns is Rise making them.

Hm, I wonder. You think there won't be any Shadow vs. Shadow fights in the game's actual story mode? I can't say I expect there to be, but I wouldn't bet against the possibility, either.

For now, yeah, it makes sense that there aren't any Shadow vs. Shadow specific quotes (though P4A mirror fights weren't possible and they have their own win quotes), though they'll probably have to disable some win quotes or something unless they don't mind if they don't make any sense against each other.

Hard to say, although I don't know when you'd be playing as a Shadow character in the story. I mean, they still tried to awkwardly fit in the occasional fight against a normal character in the few arcade stories we've seen, so I guess anything could go. I think the mirror quotes were in P4A simply because 'facing yourself' was a thing, but now that's unneeded with the Shadows being in play (consequently, the mirror quotes are gone now).

I just don't think they'll care that much if a Shadow says something senseless against another one from time to time.

FluxWaveZ

Hard to say, although I don't know when you'd be playing as a Shadow character in the story. I mean, they still tried to awkwardly fit in the occasional fight against a normal character in the few arcade stories we've seen, so I guess anything could go. I think the mirror quotes were in P4A simply because 'facing yourself' was a thing, but now that's unneeded with the Shadows being in play (consequently, the mirror quotes are gone now).

I just don't think they'll care that much if a Shadow says something senseless against another one from time to time.

Wait, the normal character mirror quotes from P4A are gone? I can't imagine those wouldn't be in the console version, so I have to wonder just how complete/incomplete the win quotes in this arcade version are compared to how it will be in the future.

A Shadow facing another Shadow could be done in numerous scenarios, I would think. For one, I'm not too sure they would necessarily get along with each other, if they interact at all in the final game's story mode, so they could just get pissed off at each other at some point and fight. That's assuming they have a certain amount of autonomy, though.

PK Gaming

I thought the P4 anime was pretty good overall

It had some flaws (and those flaws were pretty significant mind you) but when it hit its highs, it was downright fantastic. To me, the anime was at it's best when it wasn't doggedly trying to copy the game. The extra bit of content (The extra focus on Yukiko, Yosuke and Nanako, the social links, the episode 12 fake out, AIKA!!!!) were awesome. The fight sequences were fantastic; in battle fusion was hands down the coolest addition to the anime imo. I actually regularly go back and watch the fights again since they were so great. Voice acing wise, I didn't mind the inconsistencies. I actually prefer Chie's voice in the animation (she had a nice balanced of hyperactive and subdued), and I vastly preferred Naoto's new actress to the old one. The liberal use of throwbacks to the game (calendar system, eye pop in, s.link rank ups, Persona 3 events) were hella nice. Fun fact:
Yu saves Nanako with Kohryu, the max S.link Hierophant Persona. The feels.

Yu Narukami
This gets its own section. The anime was directly responsible for spear heading his character, and I will always thank them for that. At his base, Yu is pretty much the calm, smart, and stoic cool guy. It's admittedly pretty rote and nothing you haven't seen before, but the added quirks added to his character make him so good. They really could have made him a blandy and called it a day, but they went the extra mile to characterize a silent protagonist. He is unquestionably the funniest character in the anime (he even beats out the legendary Kanji). I like how they tied his character progression to the trait stats, so he actually changed as the anime progressed. (He goes from quiet and reserved to quiet and hilariously random). The episodes that were primarily focused on Yu's point of view (13 and 14, aka the social link episodes) were the easily best episodes in the anime. The friendship between Yu and Yosuke was really great. You really got the sense that they were best of friends, and the scene where
Yosuke comforts Yu at the Hospital was poignant. The scenes involving
Nanako at the Hospital, the Nametame confrontation, the solo battle against Adachi
were all great because he was actually there. For the first time, Yu could fully react to the events i n the game.
Finally, I felt that
Shadow Yu
was pretty great addition.

The lows were really low though. I couldn't stand the blatant homophobia (whereas in P4, the homophobia from Yosuke was a direct result of his insecurities, in the anime, it felt like it was done for the lulz to shit on Kanji, and boy do they shit on him HARD). They even had Yu take part in it, which really pissed me off. The art for the characters was bad. I'm not talking about the animation which ranged from good to spotty at best; everyone just looks off. Yosuke gets the worst of it; the anime artist just fails miserably at trying to draw Yosuke. Speaking of Yosuke (again), I didn't like how they dumbed him down for Yu. Like, virtually of his intelligent observations were transferred over to Yu which was kind of unfortunate for him. The last episode was ok, and I like how they tried to differentiate from the game, but I hate how they shoehorned the
Margeret fight
in. The confrontation between Yu and
Izanami
was way too rushed, and
Myriad Truths felt unsatisfying as a result.

TL;DR: The anime was good but it had some flaws.
+The creation of Yu Narukam, the little things, the fight sequences, the social links, the humor
+They picked the "right" s.links (Basketball and Apple > Soccer and Forehead)
-Poor art, bad pacing(should have been 50 episodes YO), the bad parts of P4 were exacerbated

PS: The DS2 anime was asscheeks

TWILT

Banned
As many flaws as it has, the P4 anime was still enjoyable especially if you're a fan.

DS2 anime was sooo bad though. Avoid at all costs.

Wait, the normal character mirror quotes from P4A are gone? I can't imagine those wouldn't be in the console version, so I have to wonder just how complete/incomplete the win quotes in this arcade version are compared to how it will be in the future.

A Shadow facing another Shadow could be done in numerous scenarios, I would think. For one, I'm not too sure they would necessarily get along with each other, if they interact at all in the final game's story mode, so they could just get pissed off at each other at some point and fight. That's assuming they have a certain amount of autonomy, though.

Yes, along with some other quotes (Yu vs. Aigis is generic now whereas it was unique in P4A, for instance). I try to double check with videos as much as possible to make sure the information is accurate. Ideally, they'll add in more for the console release, but it makes me wonder if any were added between P4A's arcade and console releases.

And none of these quotes should be popping up in the actual story mode, though. These are the post-match screen quotes that appear in arcade and versus mode, when the character is getting mock interviewed. In P4A's story mode, it just cut straight to the story.

FluxWaveZ

Ideally, they'll add in more for the console release, but it makes me wonder if any were added between P4A's arcade and console releases.

And none of these quotes should be popping up in the actual story mode, though. These are the post-match screen quotes that appear in arcade and versus mode, when the character is getting mock interviewed. In P4A's story mode, it just cut straight to the story.

Yeah, I wish I had followed that stuff before so we could have a point of reference for the quotes.

And that's true, I forgot that these quotes wouldn't be appearing in the game's story mode because they're unique to Versus Mode and some matches in Arcade Mode.

Edit: Looking at the P4A art book, though, it seems all of the characters generally have 4 general win quotes and 8 MU specific win quotes, so that's at least a metric we could compare P4A2's to.

CorvoSol

I propose we abandon character specific months in favor of Arcana specific months, but October is Shadow Month.

Speaking of Arcana, I just noticed that the English dub of the P4 anime is wrong and says that Yu got the Empress Arcana when he should be getting the Priestess one.

You beat me to the punch, damnit

Oh well, I can't for YosukeGAF month. It's going to be great.

I'm sorry! You do a lot of work around here, so I figured I'd help out. Besides, it's my goal to become the legend of Inaba... or PersonaGAF -- whichever!

It will be great, no doubt, but every month is Rise month. ;-)

Also, nice write-up on Persona 4: The Animation!

Edit: Looking at the P4A art book, though, it seems all of the characters generally have 4 general win quotes and 8 MU specific win quotes, so that's at least a metric we could compare P4A2's to.

This seems about right thus far, even with some quotes missing. Sho has at least 11 MU specific quotes, for instance. I've had a case or two so far where the wiki claims a quote is generic and I find it's unique in a video later on, but it's mostly accurate. It can also be difficult to just rip a quote from a video due to video/audio quality as well, so I mostly rely on the wiki and double check when I can.

As a standalone I thought the Persona 4 Anime was all right- I hadn't had the means to actually play the game at the time, so it was my first experience with the story. Obviously for this reason, I didn't notice the QUALITY all that much either.

I'll admit, the True End being handled the way it did certainly confused me when I finally saw that part in the game...and it kinda upset me too, since they totally could have followed the fight in the game better....and then
hit us with the self inflicted time loop illusion thing.

I kinda understand where people are coming from with the Yosuke thing, too- every once in a while I forget that he's a lot more competent in the actual game, and it kinda makes me sad because that actually caused me to warm up to him a lot more than I did when watching the anime.

But otherwise, I really enjoyed it as a whole, and it's probably one of my favorite anime.

Squire

Banned
The anime really makes Aika, so there's at least that.

Edit: I mean she's a character instead of just a reference. She's obviously still quite minor.

Top Bottom