• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMrRound

Does that mean that it isn't actually Tokyo after all?

Well...the Persona 5 trailer pretty much had the words "Shibuya-Underground" or something to that effect displayed at the bottom right of the screen when the MC was walking past those office drone workers...to me it's pretty much real life Tokyo. Some feel the same way:

IV6D9v4.jpg

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Now I'm confused again. Dengeki's article seems to say that the city in Persona 5 is reminiscent of Tokyo. Does that mean that it isn't actually Tokyo after all? or it it just the translation?

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/004/1004572/

And it says something about the contents of the Persona magazine too.

The Japanese wording in previews like that have essentially referred to Tokyo in somewhat of a comparative abstraction. "The game takes place in The Big City this time, resembling places not unlike our own Tokyo." (That's paraphrasing, mind, and not an actual translation.) They make it sound like it's evocative, but not necessarily an outright 1:1 copy, either.

On the other hand, I recall at least Dengeki's print preview (though probably Famitsu's, too, as Atlus has a history of giving them the same marketing copy) having wording that more explicitly implied it was Tokyo proper the game depicts. (上京する, for reference to any of the other Japanese speakers here. My dictionaries tell me that word doesn't have to specifically refer to Tokyo, but I've almost never seen it used for anything else, at least for stories taking place in contemporary times.) But most of the time it's also proactively cagey, so it's hard to be 100% certain.

Personally, I'm in the camp that it is Tokyo Tokyo unless proven otherwise. There's too much of what I've seen of that game's footage that reminds me of where I personally used to live when I first stayed there for it to not be, barring some weird lore about reality stuff or something.

Maybe they don't want to out and out divulge it yet because Tokyo proper has traditionally been the domain of mainline Shin Megami Tensei games? Hard to say.

Setsu00

Maybe they don't want to out and out divulge it yet because Tokyo proper has traditionally been the domain of mainline Shin Megami Tensei games? Hard to say.

That might be it. I remember calling them Tokyo "the Capital" in the Raidou games as well and those games are not part of the mainline SMTs either.

Devil Survivor took place in Tokyo though. It outright said so.

Devil Survivor 1 felt incredibly close to mainline SMT narratively though

Like Persona, the earlier Devil Summoner games used fictional locations before moving to Tokyo, so it's not really an unheard of precedent for the games to do that. I going to assume that it is actually Tokyo, but they might avoid outright saying that. That way they can get away with any differences to the actual location too.

I just fast forward the rejection scenes

I also had a question about the final battle and ending of P4G, is there any flexibility in what characters say based upon what dialogue options or romance options you picked? I asked this because I picked Naoto for Valentine's day and told her "I like her the way you are" and in the final battle montage she said something along the lines of "you helped me understand it's okay for me to be the way I am" and then in the ending
she blushed and made a comment about leaving Inaba with the MC

I get that the Marie dialogue in the epilogue can change based upon if you made her your gf or not, but does any of the other text change or does the finale largely play out the same?

Would it really bother some of you if P5 didn't have a singer? Has it been confirmed?

It's basically been confirmed that there's a singer, since they're calling the trailer music an 'instumental' version of the main theme, implying the actual main theme will have lyrics.

Would it really bother some of you if P5 didn't have a singer? Has it been confirmed?
I think it would ruin some of the impact the songs have to the atmosphere of the game. I remember in P3, thinking
"Oh my god. This is really the end!" during the final battle against Nyx with Burn My Dread in the background
. And I'm not too sure if I'm going to like the music if it's all instrumental and similar to the P5 teaser theme we all saw...

Setsu00

Devil Survivor 1 felt incredibly close to mainline SMT narratively though

Like Persona, the earlier Devil Summoner games used fictional locations before moving to Tokyo, so it's not really an unheard of precedent for the games to do that. I going to assume that it is actually Tokyo, but they might avoid outright saying that. That way they can get away with any differences to the actual location too.

They often dance around the location issue, even when it's just for some of their influences. Soejima's comments in the P4 artbook for example regarding the base for Inaba sort of give away that the town is mostly based on Fujiyoshida.

Even besides that, he's always been portrayed as a pretty manly guy. He's easily the toughest of the Persona protagonists
(SUCK IT P2 FANS)
. Glasses-kun seems more be more intellectual than tough.

You know out of all the Persona Protagonists I'd say Makoto is the strongest if we go by feats. I mean it's
stated by Igor himself that he's the only one to get the Universe Arcana unlike the others. Plus he had Death sealed inside him for a long period of time. That says a lot about the durability of his body. Also add to the fact he can use all weapon types and Persona fusions if we go by P3 fes. And let's not forget he's the one who sealed Nyx a entity that couldn't be killed. I mean he's a messiah and a savior.
So I'd say going by feats P4 protagonist isn't that impressive and isn't the toughest compared to P3 protagonist. I mean Yu isn't even that strong compared to Tatsuya. I'd even go to say Yu is the weakest compared to all the other Protagonists. Also forgot to mention
Makoto defeated Elizabeth all by himself while Yu had the help of his friends to defeat Margeret.

Anyways that's how I feel. 😁

Someone tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks this is a mildly strange thing to do.
No, it is strange outside of context. I was planning on reviewing those scenes after we were talking about it in here a few pages back. It just was coincidence that I did it on Valentine's day

Rubedo

You're not the only one who thinks loading up a save for a specific day is a mildly strange thing to do.

I don't actually do it but I have wondered how it would be to play the game by only playing the in-game day on the corresponding real life day. As in, you play the game over the course of a real year.

It'd be incredibly slow but I wonder if it would make the end even more emotional.

I don't actually do it but I have wondered how it would be to play the game by only playing the in-game day on the corresponding real life day. As in, you play the game over the course of a real year.

It'd be incredibly slow but I wonder if it would make the end even more emotional.

Maybe that's an idea to consider for Persona 5.

Nimby

Banned
I think it would ruin some of the impact the songs have to the atmosphere of the game. I remember in P3, thinking
"Oh my god. This is really the end!" during the final battle against Nyx with Burn My Dread in the background
. And I'm not too sure if I'm going to like the music if it's all instrumental and similar to the P5 teaser theme we all saw...

I see. I agree that Burn My Dread would lose a lot of impact without vocals, and definitely the ending. However, I think I can live without vocals in the battle themes and such.

edit: crap, meant to edit that in

LX_Theo

Banned
I don't care to hide my gaming and such interests from my parents and others... I just don't think they'd care. Because they don't.

Nimby

Banned
I don't care to hide my gaming and such interests from my parents and others... I just don't think they'd care. Because they don't.

I don't think the games I play bother my mom, it's just me wanting to avoid those awkward conversations when my mom questions "why are teenagers shooting themselves in the head" in the game I'm playing. My dad likes video games though, although just GTA and Gran Turismo.

It's mostly profanity that gets to my mom, and she swears like a sailor all the time so it's weird.

So your parents are the kind that ALWAYS walk in when the hard-to-explain shit is happening onscreen?

I can relate.

Definitely. Bayonetta and Catherine are AM games only...

King Fost

Neo Member
My parents know I like games but I almost never tell them about the actual games I play because a) it always sounds stupid and b) they don't care.

Same goes with most of the people I know too.

Meia

I actually did this a year or so ago, and no, not really any different. Thanks to the sleep idea of a portable system, I'd get to a day transition with the calendar and hit the power button. Some days you'd play for like 7 hours(dungeons), others maybe 10 seconds(exam days). Don't really recommend it. :p

So today is my birthday and look what my family got for me!

<3

Happy birthday!

(I am very jealous of you right now...)

Sweet. I try to keep my gaming tendencies on the down low from my parents. Don't know why...

loss-of-death-suicide-in-videogames-20100405003147729.jpg

oh yeah

I don't really "hide" anything, but i think my parents would have thought i was broken if they saw how hard i cried during P3 :/ It's more that they don't really care, i've had the volume up pretty loud on Persona 4 Arena Ultimax one day since i thought they were out, but they were a couple rooms over, and i'm pretty sure they heard like half of the story scenes that day, but they have never come up to me for anything.

Although, they might freak out if they saw the opening cutscene of P3/ beginning of the P3 movie with Yukari holding an evoker to her head on my monitor...

Jintor

how old are you that your parents would give a shit that you're watching something that might deal with suicidal themes though?

or is it more that it's a videogame and videogames supposedly don't deal with that stuff

how old are you that your parents would give a shit that you're watching something that might deal with suicidal themes though?

or is it more that it's a videogame and videogames supposedly don't deal with that stuff

my parents are the kind of parents that don't believe that video-games can have any emotional value. So if they saw me crying over an event, they'd think something was terribly wrong with me.

Also, at first thought, P3's opening does look like a suicide attempt. I knew better than to immediately assume it was going to open with a suicide scene, but to my parents, they'd ask me why i'm playing a game that has to do with suicide. And it goes back to how my parents view videogames, they see it as just another form of entertainment. To see my "entertainment" deal with suicide, they'd think something is wrong.

Jachaos

A bit late, but although the gameplay is different it really captures the Persona essence. I haven't completed it, but I find it really enjoyable so far. Most of the characters except for Akihiko and Teddie stay true to their originals and the writing is pretty good. There are some fantastic scenes!

My biggest complaint about the characters really. These two were much worse than in their respective games.

The gameplay is great though, as well as the music, much of the characters, the animations and there's plenty of laughs to be had. It's missing a lot of the P3/P4 atmospheres that were obtained by going around the city and all so I don't think it captures the essence of Persona completely, but they're still really good games. Easily in my top-5 last year.

God Persona 5 trailer really got me so back into the series again that I went and bought PQ last week and I'll be starting it soon.

How did everyone feel about PQ?
I finished it. The story was actually quite interesting. The characters as some mentioned were a bit fucked up. Teddie and Akihiko as mentioned were taken to the extremes of their quirks well beyond what they were like in their respective games or arena.

The actual game though...I'm not a fan. The dungeons get boring really quick, and you have to back track a lot because you constantly have to go back to "town" to sell items or heal.
I only really had fun with the dungeons when there was one where it had a lot of small floors instead of a few large ones. The large floors just get boring and treking back across after returning to town is frustrating.

So yea...I didnt like persona Q, but I finished it because its persona

FluxWaveZ

I cant remember for sure, but didnt the P3 crew have evokers in P4A and were surprised that they didnt need em. Or maybe it was just akihiko commenting he still had his even though he didnt need it

Every single P3 character in P4A(U) has an evoker and uses theirs in combat (except for Junpei). Yes, they did remark how the Midnight Channel facilitated Persona summoning, even though they don't really need evokers to summon Personas anymore since it's more of a symbol of their resolve, at that point.

What's weird about the above image is that it was assumed Junpei didn't have an evoker going into the events of P4AU because of his story circumstances, which is why he never uses his in battle. Except, he apparently actually does have an evoker on him.

Every single P3 character in P4A(U) has an evoker and uses theirs in combat (except for Junpei). Yes, they did remark how the Midnight Channel facilitated Persona summoning, even though they don't really need evokers to summon Personas anymore since it's more of a symbol of their resolve, at that point.

What's weird about the above image is that it was assumed Junpei didn't have an evoker going into the events of P4AU because of his story circumstances, which is why he never uses his in battle. Except, he apparently actually does have an evoker on him.
ahh gotcha. im guessing as a reserve member he has it just in case

LX_Theo

Banned
I understand why P2:EP Portable never came out West...but I'm still upset that I only heard this awesome boss theme tonight.

In fact a lot of the new Persona 2 music was great. I loved Quest Battle from Persona 2's quest "system".

Oh, that EP track is great. Never heard it before. Actually, it sort of sounds like a track I could easily imagine going with P5's musical theme for some reason.

Quest Battle is great too. There's a few melodies in it that are some of my favorite in Persona music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom