• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

• Oh hey, Yu's midwinter outfit is in. Nice, the best alt costume from P4G is usable.
  • Izanagi-no-Rockin
  • Jesus christ festival of bonds? Nanako being prominently featured in the story? What? Why? When? How? Okay?! Okay. Be cool PK, just be cool...
  • Oh. Hell. Yes. Ski trip outfits being in is a huge plus. Really looking forward to using the ]url=http://i.imgur.com/YtqevMh.jpg]GOAT ski trip alt.[/url]
  • So many new character designs~
  • What's the kanji on Kanamin's T-shirt mean?
  • I hope Dojima is playable. Just go all the way with the absurdity, full steam ahead
  • #Team Blue

anaron

so

after years of not finishing OG P3, I finally resumed and beat the boss that got me stuck (strength and fortune) and am now in late December and my game is constantly fucking up and freezing.

I *really* don't want to start over but I DO own FES and this looks like the opportunity to finally play through the enhanced version even though ideally I'd rather get a new disc (which is hard to do seeing as how the original was rare) and just beat the game. ugh

http://www.famitsu.com/cominy/?m=pc&a=page_fh_diary&target_c_diary_id=93080 Halloween costumes, and more Nanako art.

Vot6uJf.jpg

Redhood

The only aspect of P4DAN is the dlc aspect. The amount of DLC they have been adding to their games makes me think this game is gonna be DLC cesspool. If its done like PDF2nd then it is acceptable. If its like Arena & PQ games then I am out.

The only aspect of P4DAN is the dlc aspect. The amount of DLC they have been adding to their games makes me think this game is gonna be DLC cesspool. If its done like PDF2nd then it is acceptable. If its like Arena & PQ games then I am out.
Well it is a rhythm game. DLC fests are the norm rather than the exception.

Dantis

I hope there are more than just the P4G outfits. It's really cool to see all these in good graphics, but I'd also appreciate something new.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Huh, I didn't know that they confirmed those to be DLC already.

Don't really want the epilogue outfits so that is fine with me.

Actually prefer the way project Diva does it where you unlock the outfit for the song once you've finished it, but that obviously doesn't make sense for this game.

Dantis

The more I see of this game, the more I wish it was something else.

What would you prefer?

Huh, I didn't know that they confirmed those to be DLC already.

Don't really want the epilogue outfits so that is fine with me.

Actually prefer the way project Diva does it where you unlock the outfit for the song once you've finished it, but that obviously doesn't make sense for this game.

Disgraceful.

Gekkoukan outfits are DLC also.

Setsu00

• Oh hey, Yu's midwinter outfit is in. Nice, the best alt costume from P4G is usable.
  • Izanagi-no-Rockin
  • Jesus christ festival of bonds? Nanako being prominently featured in the story? What? Why? When? How? Okay?! Okay. Be cool PK, just be cool...
  • Oh. Hell. Yes. Ski trip outfits being in is a huge plus. Really looking forward to using the ]url=http://i.imgur.com/YtqevMh.jpg]GOAT ski trip alt.[/url]
  • So many new character designs~
    [*]What's the kanji on Kanamin's T-shirt mean?
  • I hope Dojima is playable. Just go all the way with the absurdity, full steam ahead
  • #Team Blue

Should be "life".

CorvoSol

Izanagi is all like "Yeah I'm the creation deity of Japan, but check out this bitchin' guitar solo"

Let's be honest: All the best Gods play guitar, so it was only time that Izanagi joined the big boys' club.

All the loneliest Gods play tuba, in case you were wondering.

Izanagi being able to play guitar still doesn't explain why Yu was playing guitar for Rise's event instead of trumpet.

Dantis

I had a realisation earlier: Kanji is pulling a ballet pose in the reindeer picture.

Possible indication that we can swap out dancers?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I've been thinking about this all wrong.

Instead of thinking how funny it would be to see Kanji doing ballet/idol dancing etc, I should have been thinking how funny it will be to see everyone else doing Kanji's dance style.

Shauni

So, playing through Persona 3 right now I can't say it's really grabbed me as of yet like P4 did. It's good, and I enjoy the environment and vibe of the game (I also am liking the dungeon better than I did most P4's, which I thought felt like they went on forever sometimes), just not quite hooked yet. I'm not far, though, just did the first tests, so I know I've barely scratched the surface.

So, playing through Persona 3 right now I can't say it's really grabbed me as of yet like P4 did. It's good, and I enjoy the environment and vibe of the game (I also am liking the dungeon better than I did most P4's, which I thought felt like they went on forever sometimes), just not quite hooked yet. I'm not far, though, just did the first tests, so I know I've barely scratched the surface.

Since you've also played P4 first, I wonder if your end thoughts on the game will be similar to mine.

P3 takes a while for its story to get interesting but I think, once it does, it doesn't let up.

Dantis

I played P3 first and loved it.

I was sick of pretty much everything at that point, and Persona felt completely different to what I was used to.

DNAbro

I played P3 first and loved it.

I was sick of pretty much everything at that point, and Persona felt completely different to what I was used to.

Felt the same. P3 reminded me that JRPGs could be fresh and exciting again. And I played it like 2 years ago lol.

I just came off of trying to play Tales of Graces F and absolutely hating it so P3 was a godsend.

Shauni

An interesting contrast to me so far with P3 to P4 is how it starts. P4 has a very slow burn beginning, I thought. You're slowly introduced to things and characters. I think it's like a couple of weeks (in game time) before you even fight anything for real. But in P3 it just kind of starts really. It's like on the second night you fight this big ass monster, and then all of your dorm mates are like, "By the way, we're a special group that fights monsters and protects everyone without them knowing, by the way. You should join!" I won't say one is better than the other, but it's interesting to me.

An interesting contrast to me so far with P3 to P4 is how it starts. P4 has a very slow burn beginning, I thought. You're slowly introduced to things and characters. I think it's like a couple of weeks (in game time) before you even fight anything for real. But in P3 it just kind of starts really. It's like on the second night you fight this big ass monster, and then all of your dorm mates are like, "By the way, we're a special group that fights monsters and protects everyone without them knowing, by the way. You should join!" I won't say one is better than the other, but it's interesting to me.

P3 is definitely quicker to start than P4, but without getting too spoilery the story of P3 routinely throws in new plot points that eventually results in everything kicking off, whereas P4 is far simpler and a lot of the information in the story is kind of laid out from the start.

Sophia

Persona 3's beginning seemed like it was inherently designed with the idea that people might have played previous installments. It doesn't take too long to get into the thick of thing. Whereas Persona 4 was clearly designed to start from the beginning. The characters in Persona 4 are as clueless as any new player playing for the first time, and they have to figure out everything as they go along. What's a Persona? What are Shadows? Why do they exist? This generally makes it a better entry for beginners from a story standpoint.

Shauni

Didn't really think about it like that, but yeah, I guess that is true. P3 really made no attempt to explain much of anything to you outside of what The Dark Hour was. Didn't register to me since I knew most of the stuff such as Shadows and Personas from P4 already.

Sophia

Didn't really think about it like that, but yeah, I guess that is true. P3 really made no attempt to explain much of anything to you outside of what The Dark Hour was. Didn't register to me since I knew most of the stuff such as Shadows and Personas from P4 already.

Persona 1 and Persona 2 are oddly similar.

In Persona 1, the cast are as largely clueless as the Persona 4 cast, and have to figure everything out. They just kind of stumble in on the power of Persona by accident, and right as they need it. The manga adaptation in particular shows them second-guessing even how to summon their Personas at first.
This element, in fact, ends up being a slight plot point. They don't know what Shadow Selves are, thus they don't recognize the Maki in their party as one based off the real Maki.

In contrast, the cast of Persona 2 are more familiar with it as would be the players returning from the first game. They don't spend as much time talking about it in the main storyline. Also some of the cast members are returning party members from Persona 1 (Yukino, Eriko, Kei) who don't need an explanation. Likewise, Eternal Punishement is the second half of the game so it feels the need to explain even less (basically only the rumors system) than Innocent Sin did.

P3 got me back into JRPGs, too.

It takes a different approach from P4 with its story and characters. It took me a while to really get into it, but when it does, it is really good. I would definitely give it some time. At first i wasn't really sold on the game. The characters start off kinda "cold" compared to P4. It takes time before they open up and feel comfortable around you. It's a more gradual process than P4. It's realistic for the circumstances that they are kinda distant at first, but on my first playthrough, I remember feeling a little disconnected. Unlike P4, SEES all have had a really tough background, so they have more of a guard up. But they really do get a lot of character development and about several game months in, everyone in SEES really lightens up and feels more close. P4 has more humorous moments and happy fun times scenes, but P3 still has its fair share and IMO they aren't quite as over-the-top as most of P4's (camping trip, beauty pageant, hot springs).

Once the story really got rolling, it is very interesting.

CorvoSol

Persona 2 doesn't spend a lot of time explaining things because when it finally does bother to explain something it's
about how an ancient mesoamerican civilization founded by space aliens built a spaceship underneath a japanese city and now adolf hitler who is an immortal space wizard who escaped wwii by hiding out in the pacific is bringing his mech riding nazi army to invade said japanese city and use the spear the killed the son of god in conjunction with the crystal skulls to tear a portal in space and time and make him a God.

Innocent Sin is fucking insane.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Persona 2 doesn't spend a lot of time explaining things because when it finally does bother to explain something it's
about how an ancient mesoamerican civilization founded by space aliens built a spaceship underneath a japanese city and now adolf hitler who is an immortal space wizard who escaped wwii by hiding out in the pacific is bringing his mech riding nazi army to invade said japanese city and use the spear the killed the son of god in conjunction with the crystal skulls to tear a portal in space and time and make him a God.

Innocent Sin is fucking insane.

And that's why I love it. <3 I went from P3P to P2psp and thinking how crazy the plot was but in context with the "rumors becoming real" theme it makes perfect sense.

Speaking on the differences between p3 and p4, I thought P3 did a good job of explaining all it's concepts to the player, and this is speaking as someone who's first megaten/persona game was p3p. So I don't get where you guys are getting this idea that p3 didn't? I mean I remember playing p3p and there being a glossary of terms explaining things like "potential" and "the fall". :/

Sophia

And that's why I love it. <3 I went from P3P to P2psp and thinking how crazy the plot was but in context with the "rumors becoming real" theme it makes perfect sense.

Speaking on the differences between p3 and p4, I thought P3 did a good job of explaining all it's concepts to the player, and this is speaking as someone who's first megaten/persona game was p3p. So I don't get where you guys are getting this idea that p3 didn't? I mean I remember playing p3p and there being a glossary of terms explaining things like "potential" and "the fall". :/

P3P has some additional improvements in this regard, as does P3 FES to a lesser degree. That being said, the story doesn't go out of it's way to spell things out for you like Persona 4 does.

If Xenosaga has taught the RPG world anything tho, tossing half your concepts and plot points into a glossery and/or database is a Bad Idea (tm)

Sophia

If only the makers of FFXIII got that memo. :p

RPGs, regardless of place of origin, are a genre that could benefit fantastically from "Show, Don't Tell"

Slightly off-topic, but this is one of the reasons why Xenoblade is just so much better than previous Monolith Soft games. Xenosaga Episode 1 had a lot of gratuitous cutscenes of KOS-MOS being all badass, but when you actually got her in gameplay she wasn't anywhere near as awesome as the cutscene preceding the battle. One cutscene had her doing all sorts of crazy acrobatic attacks, only for her to be barely more useful than your other party members in battle. Then the cutscene following the battle shows her taking out a ton of enemies by blowing out the window, something you never even get remotely close to doing in gameplay.

Xenoblade was a whole lot better at this. They showed you a character was badass by letting you play as them in an awesome boss fight, rather than simply have a cutscene of them doing awesome stuff. The game's tutorial outright had you play as Dunban with the semi-titular sword and just kick ass and take names. Later on, when Dunban shows up in a cutscene, you immediately get control of him to do all the badass stuff he could do in the preceding cutscene. That's the right way to do it. Show the player something is awesome in gameplay, rather than simply telling them that someone is awesome.

The Persona games (and Megami Tensei to a degree as well) are generally pretty good about this. There were lots of cases in Persona 2 where the story had a direct impact on gameplay, and that was pretty cool. I think Strange Journey did something similar as well. Ikutsuki in P3 however had a bad habit of telling the people in the room stuff they already should have known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom