• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyDaNeato

Neo Member
Didn't Shoji Meguro say that P5 will have a new singer, anyway?

...Which doesn't preclude Lotus Juice being there either, I suppose. I just assumed no one was returning.

FluxWaveZ

No thanks, I'm not a gambler. I'll be really sad if you're right, though.

Aw. I like making bets where I know I'll win.

And I'm totally fine with Lotus Juice not being part of the game's music. He wouldn't fit in with both tracks we've heard, what Meguro has said he wants to do with it, or the aesthetic that's been presented thus far.

FluxWaveZ

Someone perfectly recreating Yu Narukami's choreography in Dance! Here's a video of full Dance! gameplay to compare. She didn't have a partner, so the only part that's changed is that it's the solo variation of Yu's Fever time instead of with Nanako. It's impressive.

I wanted to see actual people doing these dances, so this is cool, especially since she makes it look pretty awesome. There's that and the video I saved of Nanako's VA performing the Junes dance, but it's not the full in-game thing; it'd be cool to see more of these with other dances.

Andrefpvs

Haha, I saw the list of Game Trailers awards on NeoGAF earlier and the first thing I thought was "they should have a category for games that weren't there, because Persona 5." It was too good an idea for it to not be done, I suppose.

They actually have that category every year! :)

Except now the game winning it stopped being The Last Guardian.

FluxWaveZ

Noto Arisa was the motion actor for Nanako Dojima's dancing in P4D.
noto_arisa_april_2009.jpg
I've got a list of all of the other ones except for Yu, Teddie and Margaret. It's just like Wada said; they were being very particular about the motion choreography for the different characters.

Bonus: NSFW(?) P4D image featuring Kanji.

Style

Banned
It's cheaper than import it, not bad. I'll probably do it, thanks.

Edit: I guess I can't use my actual credit card and I have to buy prepaid cards, can I?

You probably have to grab a prepaid card. There are several sites selling them if you look it up.

Sophia

Hip Hop is totally a part of acid jazz. DJ Krush, Tribe called Quest, Nujabes, etc.etc.

It can be a part of acid jazz, but the style they've been going for in all the trailers isn't really hip-hop focused. Less Nujabes/Liquid Soul/etc, more focused on soul/funk elements like The Brand New Heavies and Incognito, methinks.

Ouch, talk about getting called out.

o|-<

The thirst for that game is very real
Eh, I'm still not convinced that the thirst is as real as people think. I feel that the thirst is coming mostly from the niche fanbase, which there's nothing wrong with. I just don't see it breaking a million copies within a few months of sales unless there's a drastic change in how the game is marketed in other territories outside of Japan.

Sophia

Eh, I'm still not convinced that the thirst is as real as people think. I feel that the thirst is coming mostly from the niche fanbase, which there's nothing wrong with. I just don't see it breaking a million copies within a few months of sales unless there's a drastic change in how the game is marketed in other territories outside of Japan.

You do realize the issue in what you're saying right? If the thirst isn't real, then there can't be a drastic change in marketing to make the thirst real, because it has to be real for that to happen...

Although to be fair, this Catch-22 logic plagues a lot of Japanese companies, especially mid-sized and smaller ones. They need to take risks to get worldwide exposure, but Japanese companies are risk-aversive by nature, and they've seen how other publishers have failed in being risk takers. By not taking risks, they lose out on worldwide exposure they need....

You guys have to help me, I've been killing myself trying to find this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedqiW61VTA&feature=youtu.be&t=336

that plays during Visualive.

Sounds like something that may have been composed for Visuallive. It is definitely not a song from Persona 4, nor the anime/golden/arena.

FluxWaveZ

I do hope you're just talking about North American sales, or else this is nonsense.

And our niche fanbase isn't insignificant. When enthusiast websites all over the place are putting Persona 5 on a pedestal and when it's consistently ranked highly in any kind of upcoming games popularity contest, the claim that it's some small insignificant thing doesn't work.

When a game like Persona 5 can be ranked third in the most anticipated 2015 games on the official PlayStation blog by the fans&#8212;next to games like Uncharted 4, Batman and Metal Gear Solid 5&#8212;it's not some tiny thing that a lot of people seem to think.

Jachaos

That's because they're messing up the marketing by having a new trailer be something that's leaked and lacking a release date instead of presenting it on a big stage.

P4G sold near or at a million copies on a much smaller install base. People who played it want Persona 5. People who didn't play it want Persona 5.

The thread that popped up when the first trailer released got to 100 pages in 24 hours. I don't recall anything other than Fallout 4 getting those numbers (that was 150 pages). Not Uncharted 4. Not Horizon. Not Halo 5. Not The Last Guardian. Not FFVII.

Now sure you can't measure everything from GAF reception. But it was a big deal seeing all these people interested in trying it out, many saying they can't wait for it even if they've never played a Persona game.

It was one of the most voted in GAF's Most Anticipated games for two years in a row, it was something like 3rd most anticipated games as voted by the readers of the official Playstation Blog. I think if they market it better as you say it will do much more but even without a change in marketing I can see it doing 1M in a few months of sales.

Edit: Hell just take a look at this thread, there can hardly be a post without someone having it in their line-up.

Sophia

When a game like Persona 5 can be ranked third in the most anticipated 2015 games on the official PlayStation blog by the fans&#8212;next to games like Uncharted 4. Batman and Metal Gear Solid 5&#8212;it's not some tiny thing that a lot of people seem to think.

This factor, I think more than anything, is horribly underestimated by people. It's why I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a trailer at E3. We're not in the era of pre-vanilla P3 where these games are virtually unknown save to a few thousand people. People want to see this. That's why it appears on the official PlayStation blog. That's why GameTrailers is directly calling out Atlus for not showing it. That's why we've been having an almost non-stop discussion on the subject ever since the new trailer was leaked onto the internet. The thirst is real, and Atlus needs to capitalize on it. Even if it's in it's most risk aversive form possible, like showing even part of a new trailer at their booth at E3 or something.

Just ask Square-Enix about how ignoring the thirst almost cost them horribly.

daevious

I do hope you're just talking about North American sales, or else this is complete nonsense.

And our niche fanbase isn't insignificant. When enthusiast websites all over the place are putting Persona 5 on a pedestal and when it's consistently ranked highly in any kind of upcoming games popularity contest, the claim that it's some small insignificant thing doesn't work.

When a game like Persona 5 can be ranked third in the most anticipated 2015 games on the official PlayStation blog by the fans—next to games like Uncharted 4. Batman and Metal Gear Solid 5—it's not some tiny thing that a lot of people seem to think.

For me, the two biggest issue I see undermining Persona 5 sales ironically lie on the back of Persona 4 Golden blowing up on the Vita like it did. It's possible that sales on the Vita might not translate to series sales on PS3/PS4 and that Persona 5 is taking such a sharp tone shift with Persona 5 that it might put off those who started with Persona 4 Golden's more relaxed tone.

FluxWaveZ

Did you buy all of that? That's insane man.

No, I should have clarified that *that's not me.* It's someone, though. And yes, that person would be insane.

For me, the two biggest issue I see undermining Persona 5 sales ironically lie on the back of Persona 4 Golden blowing up on the Vita like it did. It's possible that sales on the Vita might not translate to series sales on PS3/PS4 and that Persona 5 is taking such a sharp tone shift with Persona 5 that it might put off those who started with Persona 4 Golden's more relaxed tone.

...We're talking about the Vita. You're right, Persona 5 isn't going to do what Persona 4 Golden did. It'll do much better.

And Persona 1 is the highest selling game in the series. Persona 3 Portable has sales very close to Persona 4 Golden in Japan. Persona 5's tone shift isn't an issue, especially when we see the reception it's getting worldwide and the views its video uploads have gotten online.

Rock94

Neo Member

But Persona 5 will be on two platforms that have had good reception in terms of sales and ownership. One that has been fairly successful for the many years it's been out on the market (PS3) and the other as fairly successful for the time it's recently been out so far (PS4). I think Persona 5 will do fairly well financially, hopefully.

Sophia

But Persona 5 will be on two platforms that have had good reception in terms of sales and ownership. One that has been fairly successful for the many years it's been out on the market (PS3) and the other as fairly successful for the time it's recently been out so far (PS4). I think Persona 5 will do fairly well financially, hopefully.

There's also a significant advantage on pushing the PS4 version. The early life of a console is generally one of the best times to be risky and push. Owners of the console don't have a huge backlog of games to play, and are more likely to check out titles off the beaten path.

FluxWaveZ

There's also a significant advantage on pushing the PS4 version. The early life of a console is generally one of the best times to be risky and push. Owners of the console don't have a huge backlog of games to play, and are more likely to check out titles off the beaten path.

Yep, this is part of the reason why the earlier Persona 5 comes out on the PS4, the better. P4G got great amounts of attention, especially in the West, because people were complaining how few exclusive games they had to play on the thing. Persona got a massive boost in renown because of that, and the game sold very well.

We hear the same stuff for the PS4 right now, regarding the point of Sony exclusive games coming out this year. Persona 5 is, like, one of the only upcoming remarkable, retail 2015 PlayStation exclusive games next to No Man's Sky and something else I might be forgetting. Combine that with the fact that it's an ambitious console JRPG different from the usual Compile Heart kind of stuff, which is actually rare nowadays? It would be big.

I think a lot of Bloodborne's success was due to the same thing, in regards to the PS4.

Sophia

I think a lot of Bloodborne's success was due to the same thing, in regards to the PS4.

Definitely. I can think of a few other games on the PS4 that probably did better than expected for the same reasons. Killzone: Shadow Fall definitely benefited due to being a launch title.

Semi-related, but I'm reminded that part of the western fanbase for the Musou franchise exists because Koei pushed out Dynasty Warriors 2 near the launch of the PS2, then immediately followed it up a year later with the improved-in-every-way Dynasty Warriors 3. Their risk taking by launching so early in the generation paid off too: The combination of NA and JP sales made it sell over a million. In four months.

My last post was probably because of how sour I am trying to convince my friends who I know would love Persona to try it. It's gotten to the point where I am leaving my Vita with P4G and P3P at people's houses so they can experience it, even though they have PS2 and I could just lend them my copies of P4 and P3FES (these are people who play JRPG and visual novels constantly and have yet acknowledged Persona existence). I do hope it sells at the rate people expect.

Definitely. I can think of a few other games on the PS4 that probably did better than expected for the same reasons. Killzone: Shadow Fall definitely benefited due to being a launch title.

Semi-related, but I'm reminded that part of the western fanbase for the Musou franchise exists because Koei pushed out Dynasty Warriors 2 near the launch of the PS2, then immediately followed it up a year later with the improved-in-every-way Dynasty Warriors 3. Their risk taking by launching so early in the generation paid off too: The combination of NA and JP sales made it sell over a million. In four months.

At the time the Musou games were also a novelty. "LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE ON SCREEN AT ONCE THAT YOU CAN FIGHT!"

daevious

I'd honestly forgotten that Persona 5 will be the first game in the series since the original to not release at the tail end of a consoles lifespan.

Persona 4 managed to sell incredibly well when you consider it was released on the Playstation 2 when the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii had already gained serious traction along with its re-release practically being a system seller for the Vita. Persona 5 is going to sell better than it's predecessors on reputation alone, that's a safe bet to make, but what I'm unsure about is what standard do you apply towards a game "selling well" because it's sales aren't going to come close to that of AAA games in the slightest. I'd actually wager that at best Persona 5's going to sell Bloodborne numbers over a long period of time, which would still be an absolutely wild success for Atlus.

I'd honestly forgotten that Persona 5 will be the first game in the series since the original to not release at the tail end of a consoles lifespan.

Persona 4 managed to sell incredibly well when you consider it was released on the Playstation 2 when the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii had already gained serious traction along with its re-release practically being a system seller for the Vita. Persona 5 is going to sell better than it's predecessors on reputation alone, that's a safe bet to make, but what I'm unsure about is what standard do you apply towards a game "selling well" because it's sales aren't going to come close to that of AAA games in the slightest. I'd actually wager that at best Persona 5's going to sell Bloodborne numbers over a long period of time, which would still be an absolutely wild success for Atlus.

I don't think people are expecting AAA game sales, I think the number everyone is looking at right now is 1 million sold through as well as looking at how long it will take for the game to reach that number.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It can be a part of acid jazz, but the style they've been going for in all the trailers isn't really hip-hop focused. Less Nujabes/Liquid Soul/etc, more focused on soul/funk elements like The Brand New Heavies and Incognito, methinks.

Ouch, talk about getting called out.

That's the thing I love about meguro though, is that he loves to mix up his styles a lot. I'm sure there would be some hip hop inspired tracks in there. Even his hip hop stuff in 3 is very acid jazz influenced.

I think Persona 5 will do well. Before i tried Persona, I only knew of Persona through word-of-mouth regarding P4G on the Vita. I'm talking, people asking for some of the best games, "P4G, P4G, P4G" were the responses. Of course this could also factor into the Vita's small library and install base at the time, but it is still regarded as a must have game by many, even regarded as the BEST Vita game by some. I wish i could see without an unbiased view (because i came in after P4G, but before P5, it's impossible for me to compare the two whether i were to compare as a non-fan, or as a fan)

All i know is that i had not seen any advertising from SMT games/ spinoffs prior to Persona 4 Golden, and Persona 5 constantly being in the top spots for "most anticipated" is a huge step-up. It's hitting that spot where people who don't play Persona but have a foot in the JRPG scene know what Persona is.

Although, I was talking to a college classmate of mine before last semester ended who wasn't too into JRPG's, but loved Nintendo games, and even he said he had heard of "Persona", even though he didn't know what it was, and had heard a new one was coming up.

daevious

Although, I was talking to a college classmate of mine before last semester ended who wasn't too into JRPG's, but loved Nintendo games, and even he said he had heard of "Persona", even though he didn't know what it was, and had heard a new one was coming up.

I had the opposite experience, in which most of the people I've met at university hadn't heard of Persona, and even among those who did, none of them had either a PS3 or a PS4 to potentially play Persona 5 on, (although they did admit that they would get it if they had either console).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom