• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I think what excites me is that the team is pursuing themes they genuinely care about and want to cover. Atlus has always loved detectives, even outside of the persona games, so it's not surprising that P4 aped from classic detective/murder mystery tropes and themes. It then stands to reason that someone interested in detective novels would also be interested in picaresque because the two often go hand-in-hand.

artsi

I was watching the new trailer again (for the 459th time) and as we talked before about the seven deadly sins stuff, it popped to my head that the blue haired guy could be pride with his body language and the "never give in" mantra.

I need the game already to stop all this speculation, lol.

Meia

I remember the speculation for P4D before Yukiko was announced that she was dead, and that the Investigation Team were all wearing the yellow ribbons in memory of her. Fun times./QUOTE]

Funnily enough, watching some vids of the game, it looks like
all of the shadows in the background also have said yellow ribbons. The Habeleries for example have it tied on their tongues.
:p

Lunar15

If there's one thing about P5 i'm slightly disappointed about it's the actual instrumentation of the music. I was hoping that we'd get some real sax this time around, not meguro's traditional midi horns.

Given the whole jazzy theme of the game, I'd kill for something like this in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCX1a7W4Anc

Btw, this is my favorite remix in P4D. Norihiko Hibino is known for his jazzy soundtracks, notably his work on the main theme from Snake Eater.

Theodoricos

Jazz normally isn't my thing, but Meguro's distinct style has a way of making nearly every genre click with me. I'm excited to hear more P5 songs, and I'm liking what I've heard so far.

Sophia

If there's one thing about P5 i'm slightly disappointed about it's the actual instrumentation of the music. I was hoping that we'd get some real sax this time around, not meguro's traditional midi horns.

Given the whole jazzy theme of the game, I'd kill for something like this in there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCX1a7W4Anc

Btw, this is my favorite remix in P4D. Norihiko Hibino is known for his jazzy soundtracks, notably his work on the main theme from Snake Eater.

I am reminded of how amazing Labrys's theme was when performed with actual instruments at Persona Music FES 2013. Would be kind of awesome to hear the trailer music with instruments like that. <3

Lunar15

Jazz normally isn't my thing, but Meguro's distinct style has a way of making nearly every genre click with me. I'm excited to hear more P5 songs, and I'm liking what I've heard so far.

To be fair, what we've heard isn't expressly jazz. Acid Jazz tends to have a quicker beat and is, in some ways, the basis of a lot of hip hop as it's what was used for a lot of samples in the 80's and early 90's. I'd say the most telling part of acid jazz is the drum beat, which is definitely present in the two songs we've heard.

I am reminded of how amazing Labrys's theme was when performed with actual instruments at Persona Music FES 2013. Would be kind of awesome to hear the trailer music with actual instruments like that. <3

Sax goes well with most Meguro music. I was thinking the other day about how i'm not a huge fan of the original version of Heaven, but nearly every remix of it is incredible. Se the above link I posted as well as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rILShRnO41w

That sax is fucking badass right out of the gate.

Either way, Meguro's compositions are always solid. So much so that I think they really shine when using real instruments. The "atlus horns", as I call them tend, to be a bit of a drag sometimes.

Dantis

I am reminded of how amazing Labrys's theme was when performed with actual instruments at Persona Music FES 2013. Would be kind of awesome to hear the trailer music with instruments like that. <3
Well, it's just different instruments. Labrys' theme is mostly guitars which Meguro plays live.

I actually like the studio version more. It's classic Meguro battle music.

Sophia

Well, it's just different instruments. Labrys' theme is mostly guitars which Meguro plays live.

I actually like the studio version more. It's classic Meguro battle music.

Yeah but the studio version doesn't have a sexy Saxophone player. As good as Meguro's guitar skills are, that sax was awesome. <3

Dantis

Am I right in recalling that Strange Journey was live orchestration? And as far as sax goes, Kitajoh uses live instrumentation, so I'm not really sure why Meguro doesn't.

DannyDaNeato

Neo Member
Persona 5 reminds me of Catherine in a way, in that it's just something completely different and new. Yes it's still going to have Persona elements, but it just feels like something really unique.

What I like about the Persona team is that they like to mix it up. I remember reading an interview with Katsura Hashino back when Catherine was getting released and he specifically said that he believes it's important to have fresh ideas and not to get too comfortable doing the same thing. (He also said at the time that they already had ideas for P5 and that it was going to end up quite different from P3 and P4)

If there's one thing about P5 i'm slightly disappointed about it's the actual instrumentation of the music. I was hoping that we'd get some real sax this time around, not meguro's traditional midi horns
Same. I generally like the new music from PV02, but those horns sound really cheap and out of place, IMO.

Makio

I never get why the Persona Team loves "Reach Out to the truth" so much , like seriously in Ultimax we have like 3-4 versions of the song , same in Dancing it seems same numbers of remixes / versions even
they used the song like a final boss theme

Even in the concerts they use the track in the concerts like a "encore" track like if is the best track in the series , where they are like a ton of tracks better than that.

Meia

I never get why the Persona Team loves "Reach Out to the truth" so much , like seriously in Ultimax we have like 3-4 versions of the song , same in Dancing it seems same numbers of remixes / versions even
they used the song like a final boss theme

Even in the concerts they use the track in the concerts like a "encore" track like if is the best track in the series , where they are like a ton of tracks better than that.

Well, I'm be pretty sure it was the main theme of Persona 4 to begin with, given it's name. :p

They've done popularity polls in terms of music too, though don't remember if it's high on those or not(would have to guess it is).

Well, I'm be pretty sure it was the main theme of Persona 4 to begin with, given it's name. :p

They've done popularity polls in terms of music too, though don't remember if it's high on those or not(would have to guess it is).

It got 3rd place in that Persona 5 stream a while back

1) Kimi no Kioku” (Persona 3)
2) Burn My Dread” (Persona 3)
3) Reach Out to the Truth” (Persona 4)
4) Never More” (Persona 4)
5) Mass Destruction” (Persona 3)
6) Heartful Cry” (Persona 3 FES)
7) Heaven” (Persona 4)
8) Subete no Hito no Tamashii no Tatakai” (Persona 3)
9) Time to Make History” (Persona 4 Golden)
10) Pursuing My True Self” (Persona 4)
11) Your Affection” (Persona 4)
12) Maze of Life” (Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth)
13) Brand New Days” (Persona 3 FES)
14) Key Plus Words” (Persona 4: The Animation)
15) Shadow World” (Persona 4 Golden)
16) A New World Fool” (Persona 4)
17) The Almighty” (Persona 4)
18) Time” (Persona 3 Portable)
19) Subete no Hito no Tamashii no Shi” (Persona 3)
20) Deep Breath Deep Breath” (Persona 3)
21) Long Way” (Persona 4)
22) Kiri” (Persona 4)
23) Heartbeat, Heartbreak” (Persona 4)
24) Snowflakes” (Persona 4 Golden)
25) Signs of Love” (Persona 4)

Source

Number 1 is Memories of You (P3 ending theme)
Number 8 is The Battle for everyone's soul
Number 19 is the Velvet room theme
Number 21 is the song that plays in
Magatsu Inaba
Number 22 is Mist

Makio

Im amazed Laser Beam or Break Out of... didnt make it too.

Wonder how popular Dance is going to be if they made a poll like this in the future , the track is flawless (better than Maze of Life for example).

wmlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6uGzamJpmA

I really want more music like that in Persona 5. However, given what we know of the setting and themes, I'm not expecting a lot of music that intimate and slow.

It's great because Meguro reminds me of Nujabes and I love his music, but I wish he would compose less bombastic themes sometimes. Composition-wise, his stuff is still top-notch, though.

FluxWaveZ

It might not be worth looking into too much, since I remember Persona Magazine #2014 September said that the next issue would be releasing in autumn, and instead the next issue ended up releasing in February. But pan-hime tweeted this for #2015 July:
Next Persona Magazine issue in Winter 2015 (may subject to change)

CIw-fc_UEAA5L_g.jpg
They released #Spring a week after Persona Q came out, they released #September on the same day P4AU came out and they released #2015 July 4 days after P4D came out.

So obviously, I have to wonder if they're going to coincide this one with P5's launch. They didn't state that it's "early Winter," like they specifically did for #2015 July in #2015 February. When they announced Persona 4 Arena Ultimax's arcade release date, they stated it would be "early winter 2013," which ended up being November 28, 2013.

Basically, I'm really wondering now if Persona 5 is set for a December 2015 release in Japan.

Edit: And a release date that late would explain why we haven't heard about P5's release date yet or why we've not even had a specific window like #FE got, when P Studio's games tend to have their release date announced 4 months before launch. If that were to happen again, P5's release date would be announced in late July or August.

Theodoricos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6uGzamJpmA

I really want more music like that in Persona 5. However, given what we know of the setting and themes, I'm not expecting a lot of music that intimate and slow.

It's great because Meguro reminds me of Nujabes and I love his music, but I wish he would compose less bombastic themes sometimes. Composition-wise, his stuff is still top-notch, though.

I feel like there's been a good balance between slower and more energetic themes in P3 and P4, and despite what we've seen from P5 so far, I expect that we'll have that balance again.

After all, the trailers are supposed to be as flashy as possible, so they'd naturally use some of the more prominent songs in the soundtrack. I agree with you though, I'd love to hear what Meguro has in store for us when it comes to non-combat P5 music.

Lunar15

While I'm not sure if it's my favorite song, no one song in persona completely encapsulates the entire nostalgic atmosphere of the game quite like Your Affection, in my opinion. That song is basically synonymous with P4 for me, at this point.

On Release Dates: December is far later than I would have expected for Japan, but I guess we'll find out! There's no way they wouldn't release a PMag around the release of P5, so I'm inclined to believe that theory.

Part of me has begun to wonder if Atlus/Sega is forcing a simultaneous release date, hence why it's coming out so late in japan and why Atlus USA has been able to stick to the 2015 line. If I remember correctly, Sega's financial briefing had made note of a simultaneous or near-simultaneous release of P5 in NA and Japan.

Makio

I know is speculation

But if Persona 5 came in December in Japan , and Atlus USA says over and over again the game is coming in 2015 ... so that means is going to be a worldwide release...

That is the best scenario for spoilers.

danthefan

P4G: why can I never find Chie, Yosuke or Yukiko to spend time with? They're never around, ever. I have the former two at level 2 and the latter stuck on 1. Is this normal? I can see in the online help option thing that people are spending time with Chie or Yukiko but they're hiding in my game.

I'm about to hit the second main dungeon BTW.

It might not be worth looking into too much, since I remember Persona Magazine #2014 September said that the next issue would be releasing in autumn, and instead the next issue ended up releasing in February. But pan-hime tweeted this for #2015 July:

They released #Spring a week after Persona Q came out, they released #September on the same day P4AU came out and they released #2015 July 4 days after P4D came out.

So obviously, I have to wonder if they're going to coincide this one with P5's launch. They didn't state that it's "early Winter," like they specifically did for #2015 July in #2015 February. When they announced Persona 4 Arena Ultimax's arcade release date, they stated it would be "early winter 2013," which ended up being November 28, 2013.

Basically, I'm really wondering now if Persona 5 is set for a December 2015 release in Japan.

It coinciding with P5's launch would certainly fit the pattern. I'd guess that the reason the date is just Winter 2015 is due to it coinciding with P5 and they still don't have a set release date for that yet, so they opted to use a placeholder.

Theodoricos

While I'm not sure if it's my favorite song, no one song in persona completely encapsulates the entire nostalgic atmosphere of the game quite like Your Affection, in my opinion. That song is basically synonymous with P4 for me, at this point.

That's a great choice, and one of my favorites as well.

I've always had a soft spot for The Almighty, which is probably my #1 song. I feel like it's not really meant to be
Ameno-sagiri
's theme so much as it makes me think it's the party's. "This is our last battle, our journey is finally coming to a close, let's give it all we've got".

And yes, I know that
it isn't technically the Invesitgation Team's last battle in P4, but still

Your Affection is a lot more iconic, though.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
P4G: why can I never find Chie, Yosuke or Yukiko to spend time with? They're never around, ever. I have the former two at level 2 and the latter stuck on 1. Is this normal? I can see in the online help option thing that people are spending time with Chie or Yukiko but they're hiding in my game.

If you have to rescue someone from the TV, you can't hang out with the main group.

Chie is on the roof. Youske is outside class and Yukiko is on the first floor.

Chie - School Roof or Shopping District (south)
Yosuke - Classroom Building 2F, opposite end to your class or Junes
Yukiko - Classroom Building 1F, at notice board near entrance, or Shopping District (south)

Dantis

I've always had a soft spot for The Almighty, which is probably my #1 song. I feel like it's not really meant to be
Ameno-sagiri
's theme so much as it makes me think it's the party's. "This is our last battle, our journey is finally coming to a close, let's give it all we've got".

And yes, I know that

I feel like The Almighty is a much less final-sounding track than either Fog or The Genesis, personally. it doesn't have the bombast of Fog, and it doesn't have the scale or nostalgia of Genesis.

Lunar15

Ameno-sagiri

And yes, I know that

The Almighty is definitely my favorite song. Something about it is hazy and mysterious, befitting a God of Fog. It was just so out there for a boss theme. It's such a prog rock song, I absolutely didn't expect it, and that's what makes it memorable. I liked that it wasn't bombastic and it's far more nostalgic to me than Genesis, which I still think was a really bad song.

Not a great quality, but if you've never heard the Live Band version of The Almighty, here's your chance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S4mYFW0VNU

It was such a surprising song to me that it might be my favorite video game song of all time.

FluxWaveZ

It coinciding with P5's launch would certainly fit the pattern. I'd guess that the reason the date is just Winter 2015 is due to it coinciding with P5 and they still don't have a set release date for that yet, so they opted to use a placeholder.

That's possible, but I also don't know if it's likely. Since February 5th, the dev. team has constantly repeated how smoothly development is now going, with team members gradually leaving the project because their job on it is done. We don't know how they operate so we can't know how long it is before they cement a release date for a game within the company, but I would have to think it'd be pretty much set with a game of this magnitude presumably launching within 6 months.

Guess we'll find out in 1-2 months; there's little difference between "Winter 2015" and "early Winter 2015," anyways. However, it makes it sound more likely than ever before that Persona 5 is late November or December.

A few examples of their games where the release date was announced 4 months before launch:

- Persona 3
- Persona 4
- Persona 4 Arena
- Catherine
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
- Persona 4: Dancing All Night

DNAbro

I know is speculation

But if Persona 5 came in December in Japan , and Atlus USA says over and over again the game is coming in 2015 ... so that means is going to be a worldwide release...

That is the best scenario for spoilers.

this would actually be amazing. A worldwide release in early December would probably be great timing, it avoids spoilers, gives more attention to the game when it releases, and avoids the onslaught of November games.

FluxWaveZ

this would actually be amazing. A worldwide release in early December would probably be great timing, it avoids spoilers, gives more attention to the game when it releases, and avoids the onslaught of November games.

Only negative I could think of is that it might be too late for the enthusiast press to consider Persona 5 for various GotY 2015 awards.

Makio

But still for the number of AAA games are coming in November , the best months for P5 in America are October or December for sure.

DNAbro

Only negative I could think of is that it might be too late for the enthusiast press to consider Persona 5 for various GotY 2015 awards.

It would be a hell of a fight regardless of the timing. This year has some crazy competition.

I assume they would get review copies out a bit earlier though.

Nimby

Banned
Assuming Japan gets a December release, I really don't think it would be 2015 for NA/EU. I can obviously settle for early 2016, maybe February?

artsi

Assuming Japan gets a December release, I really don't think it would be 2015 for NA/EU. I can obviously settle for early 2016, maybe February?

That's assuming the localized release has to have a delay, and even if most JRPG's suffer from that fate nothing stops Atlus from changing their game to the more mainstream way of releasing huge popular titles.

Theodoricos

Not a great quality, but if you've never heard the Live Band version of The Almighty, here's your chance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S4mYFW0VNU

It was such a surprising song to me that it might be my favorite video game song of all time.

Thank you a lot for this! I have several remixes of The Almighty saved, but somehow I had never heard of this live performance before. It's awesome, and I really like the saxophone bit. Makes me wish I had been there, lol.

The Almighty is definitely a contender for my top favorite video game song as well. P4 tends to be my #1 video game OST in general (surprise, surprise). I also find the song more nostalgic to me than The Genesis, so I definitely know what you mean. The somewhat smaller scale of it makes it sound more personal too, I think.

That's possible, but I also don't know if it's likely. Since February 5th, the dev. team has constantly repeated how smoothly development is now going, with team members gradually leaving the project because their job on it is done. We don't know how they operate so we can't know how long it is before they cement a release date for a game within the company, but I would have to think it'd be pretty much set with a game of this magnitude presumably launching within 6 months.

Guess we'll find out in 1-2 months; there's little difference between "Winter 2015" and "early Winter 2015," anyways. However, it makes it sound more likely than ever before that Persona 5 is late November or December.

I'm sure that they probably have a target date in mind, considering that the game is coming out within the next 6 months, I'm just guessing that they want to be 100% certain that they can hit said date considering that they already wildly missed the last date that they gave.

It also could just be a case of them not giving a date for the magazine because they don't want to tip their hand in regards to P5's release date.

Makio

The Almighty is so good they make it believe that
that was the real end boss theme
until the anime
show me who is the real boss

Is in the same level of awesome with Battle of Everyone Souls in my book.

Lunar15

I am beginning to believe that the date is December for the precise reason that they're releasing it simultaneously in both regions. Essentially holding back the Japanese release in order to make sure the localization has enough time.

Jachaos

I am beginning to believe that the date is December for the precise reason that they're releasing it simultaneously in both regions. Essentially holding back the Japanese release in order to make sure the localization has enough time.

Boy would that be the opposite of the narrative that's been discussed this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom