• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
usj9MkQ.jpg

I think the deep psychology behind the Social Links is that you (you being the main character) don't really care about any of these chumps at all, and instead you're using them to further your own abilities and just for your own gain.

You're a sociopath.

Yeah, this is how I felt with P3's character! He's a total nutcase, reclusive teen with power. He's like, the high school version of the Driver.

Feel free to think anything you want, I'm just putting facts out there. You're arguing taste. I'm telling you about game design. Deal with that.

Haha, shit, is this kechi guy for real? How come I've never seen this poster before and why does he <3 BioWare?

Jung's favourite social link is Maya from P3.

What about Adachi's link :)

Yeah, this is how I felt with P3's character! He's a total nutcase, reclusive teen with power. He's like, the high school version of the Driver.

Haha, shit, is this kechi guy for real? How come I've never seen this poster before and why does he <3 BioWare?

What about Adachi's link :)

It's Narukami you gotta watch out for. Anyone with that much 'swag' is merely a menace to society! ./Morooka

Taruranto

Haha, shit, is this kechi guy for real?

I know, right? It's unthinkable for someone to not find S.Link mind-blowing! Sometimes i wish S.Link were in every game too.

Like, i'm clearing Sector Eridanus in SJ when suddenly Zelenin appears and asks me if i want to grab a burger in Carina. Really it would have increase by enjoyed of the game more.

How come I've never seen this poster before and why does he <3 BioWare?

HzPpF17.gif

I know, right? It's unthinkable for someone to not find S.Link mind-blowing! Sometimes i wish S.Link were in every game too.

Like, i'm clearing Sector Eridanus in SJ when suddenly Zelenin appears and asks me if i want to grab a burger in Carina. Really it would have increase by enjoyed of the game more.

HzPpF17.gif

I would hang with Jimenez and Zelenin at the burger joint in Carnia. Does that make me a bad space marine? :(

Squire

Banned
I'm asking around right now. Hopefully they release those character palette colors (Famitsu exclusive IIRC) as DLC.

Wait, there are more colors? Or do you mean the ones the Famitsu exclusive figures are based on? Because those are in the game, I think. They're either in the game or in the color palette DLC.

Taruranto

I would hang with Jimenez and Zelenin at the burger joint in Carnia. Does that make me a bad space marine? :(

Yes, because Zelenin is Law. She should be punched like all Law characters. Jimenez is cool, even though he's chaos. Both are dicks in the end though, and prove neutral is the only correct way.

HzPpF17.gif

What you are being facetious about is merely a hyperbole you've created in your own mind. For what reason, I hope to find out, friend :D

I love a good mystery, I'll check up on it. I don't really care for Bioware that much, but I haven't played ME3 yet, so I shouldn't judge.

Oh kechi, you're going to be so awesome to talk with. Consider our Social Link at Rank 1, baby :)

Wait, there are more colors? Or do you mean the ones the Famitsu exclusive figures are based on? Because those are in the game, I think. They're either in the game or in the color palette DLC.

Yeah, I swear that Famitsu gave out some colors that are not available as DLC. I could be wrong, but I'll look around for it for sure.

Dantis

EU misery update:

GAME and ShopTo are saying May 3rd for Persona 4 Arena.

Some of the regional distributors who Zen sublicense to for distribution (like pQube, who distribute the games in the UK) have been feeding March 28th/29th to their pals in retail as of late.

I'm inclined to think both dates are real. The EU PS3 version is finished, the EU Xbox 360 version is not. The game is going to have zero promotion, and at this point Zen are just sending it to die at any point after March. It wouldn't surprise me if they've opted to just releasing the versions at different times, as and when they're ready to roll.

Thoughts?

Here are my thoughts:

Fuck Atlus, fuck Arc.

End of thought process.

This conjures all kinds of bad images in my head.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure Hashino already confirmed S Links.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have a question, speaking of Persona 3 Portable.

Why the fuck is there more fanart of her than Maya? Like I've literally seen pictures of all the Persona protags and where there should be Maya there is her. She's like the Lightning or Hayden Christensen of Persona

FluxWaveZ

As an aside, I'm pretty sure Hashino already confirmed S Links.

Only thing I thought that was said concerning content was that Soejima drew some concept art a while back and that Meguro would have the music be a different style than P4's. I'd love to see whatever interview the S. Link stuff was mentioned in.

Mr. Shankly

Neo Member
Ugh, I don't get any of that. I should really play through that game as FeMC...

Wait a sec... can you still take Elizabeth to your room as FeMC? Or is she stuck with Theodore?

Do you know what happens between her and ryoji!? (and Shinjiro cuz that made me cry too)

I don't know if you can date Elizabeth with FeMC but you can choose between elizabeth and theodore i think. I chose theodor cuz hottie alert wowza

Dantis

Only thing I thought that was said concerning content was that Soejima drew some concept art a while back and that Meguro would have the music be a different style than P4's. I'd love to see whatever interview the S. Link stuff was mentioned in.

I think he said something like "It will have everything fans expect. It will have S Links, it will have [something else]. But we want to take it in a new direction as well."

That's obviously completely from memory, so probably entirely wrong.

Ugh, I don't get any of that. I should really play through that game as FeMC...

Wait a sec... can you still take Elizabeth to your room as FeMC? Or is she stuck with Theodore?

You can choose at the start of the game.

I am appalled that you have not finished a FeMC run.

are you fucking high

FeMC is probably my favourite design across... Everything.

Mr. Shankly

Neo Member
everyone playing FeMC in p3 a piece of advice for you:
Getting personally romantically attached to Shinjiro and Ryoji is the worst thing you can do. Ever.

FluxWaveZ

I think he said something like "It will have everything fans expect. It will have S Links, it will have [something else]. But we want to take it in a new direction as well."

That's obviously completely from memory, so probably entirely wrong.

Not entirely. The source for that was the original Dengeki PS "announcement" back in 2010, but S. Links were not explicitly mentioned.

In the column, Hashino also said he wants to add elements expected of the series and change things within those constraints. When Hashino joined the Persona 3 team he added the dating sim-esque social links.

Elements expected of the series at this point, to me, mean: Social Links, date changes, high school, distinction between the real world and some alternate one, etc.

Well that's very interesting Shankly, thank you. Hmmm, do we need a place to talk about spoilers without marking them and post pictures of spoilery goodness?

Not entirely. The source for that was the original Dengeki PS "announcement" back in 2010, but S. Links were not explicitly mentioned.

Elements expected of the series at this point, to me, mean: Social Links, date changes, high school, distinction between the real world and some alternate one, etc.

Flux, you are great, I've been meaning to look at.

Squire

Banned

Why the fuck is there more fanart of her than Maya? Like I've literally seen pictures of all the Persona protags and where there should be Maya there is her. She's like the Lightning or Hayden Christensen of Persona

She's a female protagonist in a video game. Being ubder-appreciated is the norm.

Trigger

FeMC is cuter and more people probably know her than Maya.

Dantis

FeMC is cuter and more people probably know her than Maya.

Maya is ruined by her pretty terrible jacket design. FeMC dresses like someone who just stepped out of a stylish shop window.

I hate Kaneko's obsession with matching outfits. They looks so silly.

tbh i'd never heard of Maya until now... I wonder if perhaps people know FeMC more than Maya because P3 is more well known??

true dat.

Yeah, Maya is cool. Unfortunately, her game is stuck in the past, while the PSP port is stuck in localization limbo.

I imagine that there is a large group of fans that might never get to find out just how cool Maya is. Typically enough, knowing can sort of give you a false sense of cred or superiority, hehehe... maybe, I dunno, I don't feel it.

Jintor

But characters don't relate to each other at all in the social links, only you and the one character you are slinking with. They also did the bad thing of limiting most character development to just the Slinks in Persona 4. Also, it feels very mechanical when you finally become lovers or close, unbreakable friends with someone, only to never hang out with them ever again because you achieved that. They need to have a way more dynamic character relationship system.

Very true. I feel the intraparty/external s.links in P3 were great (Junpei/Chihiro, Mitsuru/Yukari, Aki/Ken etc) but the problem then is that you as a player don't feel very involved. But abandoning characters after you rank 10 them also sucks.

Interestingly, in the P3 design works when they first developed s.links there's an interview at the back with Soejima and the producer and their views on social relationships kinda sucked at the time, lol

On another note, I kinda feel like P3 has a great climax but repeatedly punches itself in the face trying to get to it in a rational manner. Scaling it back into a murder mystery for P4 made everything so much more cohesive. Probably the most annoying bit of P3 is Ryoji
popping out of nowhere and you suddenly being expected to give a damn about him in about three months or less
. They kind of explain it away but for me it removes any semblence of emotional impact. Apparently not for the legions of fanartists out there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom