• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

persona 5 should be on 3ds

there

i fucking said it.

Persona 1 is playable on the PSP and the Vita.
Persona 2 is playable on the PSP and the Vita and will soon be playable on the PS3.
Persona 3 is playable on the PS2, the PS3, the PSP and the Vita.
Persona 4 is playable on the PS2 and the Vita.
Persona 4 Arena is playable on the PS3 and the 360.

In what world does it make any sense that Persona 5 would end up on the 3DS?

Trigger

there

i fucking said it.

This is a terrible post Arte.
wQZoHRz.gif

Ties

Banned

there

i fucking said it.
i agree

the vita is a commercial flop worldwide

the ps4 has high developer costs

persona has never been about the glitz and glam so this is likely, especially considering that smt as a whole is flocking to the 3ds with smt4, soul hackers, etc

Sophia

Persona 5 is basically all but guaranteed to be on the PS3/Vita. It makes no sense to switch brand loyalty now. Of course, it might appear on other platforms too, but those two are a given.

TWILT

Banned
I'm okay with Persona 5 being on the 3DS not only because I love my handheld, but I'd love to see the delicious salt when GAF reacts to the news.

*runs*

FluxWaveZ

persona has never been about the glitz and glam so this is likely, especially considering that smt as a whole is flocking to the 3ds with smt4, soul hackers, etc

Aside from the fact that a Persona game has NEVER appeared on a Nintendo platform before, how does the Persona Team implying that Catherine was used as a testbed for Persona 5 translate to "3DS game"? Hell, they built their own engine from scratch based on their experiences with Gamebryo, a primarily console based engine, for Persona 5 and that would be used for... a 3DS game?

Not to mention that Persona 5 was announced way earlier than SMT IV in the same year when SMT IV had the placeholder name of "Shin Megami Tensei 3DS" at E3 2010 and we've heard practically nothing about P5 while we've heard plenty for SMT IV.

Ties

Banned
Aside from the fact that a Persona game has NEVER appeared on a Nintendo platform before, how does the Persona Team implying that Catherine was used as a testbed for Persona 5 translate to "3DS game"? Hell, they built their own engine from scratch based on their experiences with Gamebryo, a primarily console based engine, for Persona 5 and that would be used for... a 3DS game?
I remember reading Atlus ditching the Catherine engine entirely for Persona 5.

The reason we haven't heard anything about Persona 5 as of yet is because Atlus doesn't want to essentially compete with themselves by announcing their flagship series. They'd rather wait until SMT4 has sold all the units that they would deem satisfactory before announcing a Persona mainline entry. Persona 3 Portable launched dangerously close to Strange Journey, and that cannibalized on the latter's sales in the long run.

Artemisia

Banned
Aside from the fact that a Persona game has NEVER appeared on a Nintendo platform before,

Well I don't think Atlus was purposely avoiding Nintendo platforms. It makes sense Persona and many other SMT games made it to the PS1 and 2, the systems with the largest install bases of their times. As for the portable games... would it really be feasible to remake PS1 and PS2 games on a system that isn't very powerful like the DS?

I hadn't heard of them making an engine from scratch so that definitely change things, but Atlus certainly has more of a decision to make when it comes to deciding on platforms for games since the the 3DS is a very capable system.

FluxWaveZ

Persona 3 Portable launched dangerously close to Strange Journey, and that cannibalized on the latter's sales in the long run.

Is that from a statement the developers made themselves or is that an assumption? Because I don't think an unrelated PSP game and DS game released within the same release window would have an impact on each other.

Now, if Persona 5 was a 3DS game, I agree that a conflict of interests would occur if there was media of both games going out at the same time, especially if they were released in the same window. But for reasons concerning the engine; how Catherine was seemingly developed as an experiment for future titles on current generation platforms; because of the longer dev cycle of P5 compared to SMT IV and because Persona fans are on any current platform other than the 3DS, regardless of install base, I can't see it happening.

I hadn't heard of them making an engine from scratch so that definitely change things, but Atlus certainly has more of a decision to make when it comes to deciding on platforms for games since the the 3DS is a very capable system.

Then why didn't Persona 4 Golden make it to the 3DS? The 3DS certainly has a larger install base than the Vita.

Artemisia

Banned
Then why didn't Persona 4 Golden make it to the 3DS? The 3DS certainly has a larger install base than the Vita.

Wasn't that announced in August of 2011? And the Vita wasn't out until December. I don't think Atlus knew the Vita was going to flop spectacularly, and the 3DS had only started to do well.

I'll play the game no matter what it comes out on, but it just seems like there's no chance in hell of it being on current gen consoles, and I'm a bit worried about the price of PS4 and the next Xbox.

Ties

Banned
Is that from a statement the developers made themselves or is that an assumption? Because I don't think an unrelated PSP game and DS game released within the same release window would have an impact on each other.

Now, if Persona 5 was a 3DS game, I agree that a conflict of interests would occur if there was media of both games going out at the same time, especially if they were released in the same window.

It doesn't need to be explicitly stated by the company themselves that P3P butchered Strange Journey's overall sales. The mindset of someone who doesn't follow the series as a whole is generally, "Oh! Persona 3 Portable was announced on a handheld. I'll just wait for that one instead of buying something else related to the SMT franchise." The only ones who purchased Strange Journey were Atlus die hards that were starved for a new first person entry in the series after all of the Persona thrown out before the release.

And honestly, the DS was never much of a handheld juggernaut in terms of sales for niche handheld RPGs; the PSP was the go-to console for that because it allowed niche developers to essentially reuse downgraded PS2 assets instead of building new ones for the DS.

P4G didn't make it on the 3DS because the team didn't anticipate that the Vita's future was going to be so grim in terms of install base. It was announced around 2011, so they probably figured that the niche audience would flock to the Vita, but that wasn't the case with hardware sales.

FluxWaveZ

Wasn't that announced in August of 2011? And the Vita wasn't out until December. I don't think Atlus knew the Vita was going to flop spectacularly, and the 3DS had only started to do well.

Alright, but how does that explain SMT IV being announced before the 3DS was released? If they're all about going on the more popular platform, then why didn't they also decide to release SMT IV for the Vita? Or were they hedging their bets?

I'll play the game no matter what it comes out on, but it just seems like there's no chance in hell of it being on current gen consoles, and I'm a bit worried about the price of PS4 and the next Xbox.

I don't understand why you think a current generation release is not possible. Persona 3 was released in July 2006 for the PS2, only a few months before the PS3 launched in November 2006. Persona 4 was released in July 2008, approximately two years after the PS3 launched. Why couldn't the same happen this time?

Ties

Banned
I don't understand why you think a current generation release is not possible. Persona 3 was released in July 2006 for the PS2, only a few months before the PS3 launched in November 2006. Persona 4 was released in July 2008, approximately two years after the PS3 launched. Why couldn't the same happen this time?
He's probably assuming it'll be on the PS4 because Atlus showed up on that developer image list for the PS4 IIRC.

Squire

Banned
i agree

the vita is a commercial flop worldwide

the ps4 has high developer costs

The Vita was a flop when P4G was announced, when it released in Japan, when it released in the states, and last week when it came out in Europe. SMT as a whole isn't flocking to 3DS as evidenced by Flux' post.

Don't rule out PS4 either. Development costs are high for AAA games. As you said yourself, Persona's not about glitz and glam. Just because the PS4 is capable of much doesn't mean a developer has to try and push the hardware to it's limits. Which Persona has never done on any hardware it's been on.

In all honestly they'd probably have an easier time making it on PS4 than PS3 because PS4 is a more straightforward PC architecture and PS3 is much more complicated.

Artemisia

Banned
Alright, but how does that explain SMT IV being announced before the 3DS was released? If they're all about going on the more popular platform, then why didn't they also decide to release SMT IV for the Vita? Or were they hedging their bets?

Well to get one thing out of the way, according to this P4G was originally being developed as a PSP title, but they moved it over to the Vita because unlike P3P, they wanted P4G to be as close as possible to the PS2 version. So it wasn't because they thought Vita would be more popular, but because it must have been easier to continue development on the Vita. I was only just made aware of this, so contrary to my earlier post, I don't think Atlus was mindful of the Vita's future at all. They just wanted the game out.

Atlus probably chose to develop SMT IV on the 3DS because they knew history would repeat itself and Nintendo would have the most popular handheld again. And it only makes the decision even easier for them when you realize the 3DS is a very capable handheld device.

Squire

Banned
Heheh. I see what this is :)

Glad you like the 3DS, but P5 on that platform isn't happening. We already know they built an engine for the PS3/360. If it's on any handheld, it'll be Vita since they can easily cross-port the PS3 version.

But 3DS isn't happening. I mean, the regulars in this thread only ever mention it as a joke, even.

cj_iwakura

Well to get one thing out of the way, according to this P4G was originally being developed as a PSP title, but they moved it over to the Vita because unlike P3P, they wanted P4G to be as close as possible to the PS2 version. So it wasn't because they thought Vita would be more popular, but because it must have been easier to continue development on the Vita. I was only just made aware of this, so contrary to my earlier post, I don't think Atlus was mindful of the Vita's future at all. They just wanted the game out.

Atlus probably chose to develop SMT IV on the 3DS because they knew history would repeat itself and Nintendo would have the most popular handheld again. And it only makes the decision even easier for them when you realize the 3DS is a very capable handheld device.

They had also originally said that there would be no P4 'FES', that the PS2 had the definitive version.

neoemonk

After playing Fire Emblem on the 3DS tonight I'm already missing the Vita screen. It's got me seriously considering getting an XL now.

I really hope Persona 5 doesn't hit the PS4, as that would force me to buy one and I would really prefer to wait for a revision or two before taking the plunge.

Artemisia

Banned
Heheh. I see what this is :)

Glad you like the 3DS, but P5 on that platform isn't happening. We already know they built an engine for the PS3/360. If it's on any handheld, it'll be Vita since they can easily cross-port the PS3 version.

But 3DS isn't happening. I mean, the regulars in this thread only ever mention it as a joke, even.

I'll come back and take my lashes when the final platform is announced.

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, I remember that P4G was supposed to be on the PSP now. Yeah, what you're saying makes sense given that.

I still don't know if I agree with the point that they put SMTIV on the 3DS for the sake of the more popular platform, but it's more feasible to me when I consider the P4G situation.

But I'm still on the side saying that P5 on the 3DS is not happening, mostly for all the reasons I stated before (Persona fans being anywhere but on the 3DS, engine, Catherine...).

Squire

Banned
After playing Fire Emblem on the 3DS tonight I'm already missing the Vita screen. It's got me seriously considering getting an XL now.

I really hope Persona 5 doesn't hit the PS4, as that would force me to buy one and I would really prefer to wait for a revision or two before taking the plunge.

No worries. It's most likely PS3 and 360 given the timing they built the built the engine in and those being Catherine's platforms. The notion that it wouldn't be made on PS4 because of development costs is silly though.

Indeed they will. Another sale on P3P and FES? P4A DLC with more P3 characters? Or maybe a Golden style P3 remake for the Vita.

P3 FES Vita plz
Rise: There's a feeder in bottom lane!

Chie: Aha is this our chance?

Lets guess which games Persona characters would like! I bet Rise loves Style Savvy! I bet Yukiko secretly has a thing for shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom