• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pet names in old japanese credits..

EmSeta

Can someone explain to me why the hell old (8-bit mostly) japanese games present the staff names as cheeky pet names, instead of their real names? Don't they wanna take credit for what they've done?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
From what I know, it was mostly mandatory on the part of the company rules to prevent headhunting among the different houses.

Favorite Japanese fake name:
LLAOYLLAKCUF, Samurai Shodown 3

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Actually it was more just because computer folks used handles. You can find games with real names, too.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Yukichan's Papa!
Saw that name in a few Megamans

Laurent

prowrestler.jpg

MASB

Has anyone ever tracked down the real names of the people who had fake names? Be sad if no one ever knew years after the games were released.

MASB said:
Has anyone ever tracked down the real names of the people who had fake names? Be sad if no one ever knew years after the games were released.
I'm not sure who YUUKICHAN'S PAPA and RYUUTARO'S MAMA were, but I'm sure somebody knows. As was mentioned, Shimo-P, P, etc. was Yoko Fucking Shimomura.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
keiji inafune is credited as "inafking" in the nes megaman games. i'm pretty sure this is pronounced "enough fucking."

and i think treasure still uses weird codenames in their credits. at least they did as recently as radiant silvergun. treasure rocks.

I always loved Fishman and Bamboo 7 from Megaman games. Incidentally, I seem to recall that Bamboo 7 was the default name in Adventures in the Magic Kingdom.

aku:jiki

drohne said:
keiji inafune is credited as "inafking" in the nes megaman games. i'm pretty sure this is pronounced "enough fucking."

and i think treasure still uses weird codenames in their credits. at least they did as recently as radiant silvergun. treasure rocks.
I'm pretty sure many shooter/arcade devs still do it. Carrying on a tradition, I suppose.

Psyvariar -- only credits I have handy since they're in the PAL manual -- was made by ORE808", bymake2 and WASi303 (and Takato Yoshinari but he doesn't count, obviously).

I've always heard it was because back then, making games was sort of shameful, like being a huge nerd and most people didn't want a nerd stamp on their real names. I guess fennec and Kobun would know more than me though. :(

john tv

TEN TEN FOREVER!!

One of the most talented game creators alive. Miyamoto gets an awful lot of credit for this guy's genius.

aku:jiki

fenekku-gitsune said:
Well, I didn't go around pirate BBSes as a teen under my real name either, yknow...
I think I used my real name backwards when I first registered on one...

Hey, I was like 11!

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Aria of Sorrow is the most recent game I can think of that uses the nicknames, though they're interspersed with a few full names as well.

As proof to their power, Iga's instantly recognizable to this day, seemingly more so than Koji Igarashi.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
aku:jiki said:
I'm pretty sure many shooter/arcade devs still do it. Carrying on a tradition, I suppose.

i wouldn't know - i haven't seen the credits of an arcade shooter since soukyugurentai. :(

ah, the travails of one credit play.

Top Bottom