• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore on Japanese Market and Xbox 2

xsarien

daedsiluap
Peter Moore: That oracle of retail knowhow who thought that the Japanese market would respond to hand-picked, untranslated XBox games dubiously (almost sarcastically) titled: "World Collection."

He's like a living, breathing poison pill. First he works his *ahem* "magic" at Sega of America, and now he's at Microsoft working with the XBox people in Home and Entertainment.

Man, it's like people don't learn...

Prine

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
They DO. The best thing about XBox games is that aside from HALO; they're guranteeded to hit rock bottom prices before you can say "xbox is awesome" good for consumers; not so great for DICE.

MS published DICE games.

Prine

Banned
xsarien said:
Peter Moore: That oracle of retail knowhow who thought that the Japanese market would respond to hand-picked, untranslated XBox games dubiously (almost sarcastically) titled: "World Collection."

He's like a living, breathing poison pill. First he works his *ahem* "magic" at Sega of America, and now he's at Microsoft working with the XBox people in Home and Entertainment.

Man, it's like people don't learn...

And its working in EU and US. Japan was lost before he even joined

SolidSnakex said:
It's good to keep in mind that Peter Moore is the same guy that believes that making the Xbox a black console was a reason for a reason alot of casual gamers didn't buy it.

"But we’ve also learned other things. For instance, making a black console was enough to deter casual gamers, he adds, without telling us which colour the Xbox 2 will be..."

:lol

http://xbox.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=4781

I don't know which quote is more blindly stupid, Moore's or Iwata's 50 million GC's sold. We are getting into Trip Hawkins levels of distorted reality here folks.

When you are in the company of Trip in thought process, you're in trouble.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Prine said:
And its working in EU and US. Japan was lost before he even joined

I'm not being smarmy at all with this:
It really is a shame that the Moore quotes in that one thread on OldGAF weren't saved, because they'd prove - beyond a shadow of a doubt - how dense this guy can really be. :p

Duckhuntdog said:
I don't know which quote is more blindly stupid, Moore's or Iwata's 50 million GC's sold. We are getting into Trip Hawkins levels of distorted reality here folks.

When you are in the company of Trip in thought process, you're in trouble.

I'd say Moore's is worse because he should already know that the PS2 is on track to becoming the most succesful console ever even though its black. That's just a really bad excuse for how the Xbox performed.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SolidSnakex said:
It's good to keep in mind that Peter Moore is the same guy that believes that making the Xbox a black console was a reason for a reason alot of casual gamers didn't buy it.

"But we’ve also learned other things. For instance, making a black console was enough to deter casual gamers, he adds, without telling us which colour the Xbox 2 will be..."

:lol

http://xbox.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=4781
Haha, yes, I remember that thread on old GAF. Good times indeed.

I'd say Moore's is worse because he should already know that the PS2 is on track to becoming the most succesful console ever even though its black. That's just a really bad excuse for how the Xbox performed.
I agree -- IIRC, when Iwata made that sales prediction, things didn't look quite as bleak for the GC as they eventually did. It wasn't that dense of a thing to say (especially when contrasted to "One reason why our console failed is because it's black, even though the PS2 is also black and even though our console actually isn't black at all"), although it probably wasn't the most shining example of prescience, either.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
jedimike said:
No, but MS treats their customers exceptionally well and don't have as many restrictions on their certification process.

When my shitty Thomson drive Xbox failed after four months (3 weeks after the warranty expired) MS wanted me to pay 100 bucks to fix the shit.

MS fails at customer service as far as I am concerned.

Wulfer

You mean the same way Sony failed all those PS2 customers who went thru the same thing at launch??? (How easy we forget...)

element

WULFER said:
You mean the same way Sony failed all those PS2 customers who went thru the same thing at launch??? (How easy we forget...)
Don't forget the whole PSX overheating situation.

'The Playstation does not overheat.'

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
WULFER said:

My PS2 didn't fail at launch though, so I can't comment on that.

Also, when I called SCEA about getting an SCPH-10130U AV Adapter to use my Guncon with a TV with Component inputs (which wasn't available in Canada, and Sony Parts Warehouse USA wouldn't ship to Canada, and Sony Canada wouldn't do a fucking thing either), SCEA actually sent me a unit for free.

So personally, I've had a great experience with SCEA, and have had in the past great experiences with Nintendo, but so far MS has fallen short.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
WULFER said:

Dont forget the recall... what was it... memory cards or something?

xsarien

daedsiluap
element said:
Don't forget the whole PSX overheating situation.

'The Playstation does not overheat.'

The Playstation doesn't have a warning in the manual about the device falling on a small child.

/cheap shot

In general from my experiance, Nintendo does provide the best customer support out of the three. When my launch GC got disk read errors, Nintendo had me send it to them, they paid the shipping. Two days later they sent me a refurbished GC, again they paid the shipping.

No questions asked, no nagging and turn-around in less than a week. That's service.

sohka88

is that XBox 2 is going to have a hard time keeping up with PS2/GCN anyway before PS3/Revolution

Why would xbox2 have trouble keeping up with the GC? They only do about 5000 a week now, imagine next year.

COCKLES

being watched
krypt0nian said:
One thing is certain by those statements:

Peter Moore buys great weed!

He probably dropped some by accident in the plastics making plant in Mexico and voila...that's where the green special edition came from.

Top Bottom