• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Thiel is very, very interested in young people's blood (for eternal youth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#tbt

gdDXPmV.jpg

Foffy

Banned
I don't think anyone who wants some form of quasi-immortality or even basic life extension truly believes that anything lasts forever -- yes, even the life-bearing characteristics of the universe will eventually fade away... the quest for youth, a longer life, and anti-aging therapies in general are merely a way of revolting against the ridiculously short lifespans we are born into. If you live long enough you will eventually grow weary of the struggle to continue existing so you'll begin to view death not so much as an inescapable, terrifying fate.. but more so a well-deserved rest.

Being dissatisfied with the lot we humans are given is completely natural given the freak evolutionary emergence of consciousness. We are elevated minds trapped in the bodies of animals. Dreaming lights afloat in a sea of cold and darkness. To be satisfied with a scant 70 years of life(with at least 30+ of those years sucking due to our bodies slowing down) is a ridiculous ideal to hold yourself to. If we could each get a couple hundred more years in this universe I don't think we would be so terrified of the infinite nothing at the end because it would truly feel like stepping into a new experience as opposed to feeling like the end of everything.

One needn't be terrified of this for no self can experience this. Ever. What people fear there is simply ignorance on their part.

As for the rest of your post, coupled with your other one, you seem to have very clouded ideals. You speak about "true purpose" in the former post, and in this one, you call accepting present states of affairs as ridiculous. Holding onto the views you do may make you prone to suffer and be anxious, for if the pedestals you have evocated are unreachable, especially to you, those expectations will only crash before you.

I say it's clouded is because you seem to be banking very deeply on inferences, and seem to be averse to what appears to be presently so. If we can extend the human lifespan, that's fine for those who want it. But we should never fall into delusion with ourselves with bullshit ideas like purpose and quantitative living. One has already lost the plot if they do either.

For some people, even with 100 years of life, they never truly get with life, for they are always suckered into being caught by past or future. What is the point of the time one has if they fail in living it, in such a way I highlighted? It's 100 years of waste. Most people can't even be fully present for a single moment once per day.

DarkKyo

For some people, even with 100 years of life, they never truly get with life, for they are always suckered into being caught by past or future. What is the point of the time one has if they fail in living it, in such a way I highlighted? It's 100 years of waste. Most people can't even be fully present for a single moment once per day.

Oh, I definitely focus on being mindful as much as I can. It's something I'm trying to get better at... so it's not like I'm not interested in the quality of right now, or being present in the moment. I think my drive to extend my own lifespan comes from wanting to know more about the universe and existence in general. If it's an unattainable goal in the end, even just due to being born in the wrong century, then so be it. My expectations and hopes are extremely loose and open-ended. Do I want to see the advent of incredible artificial intelligence? Absolutely. Do I want to be among the first generations to try to extend my lifespan past those before me? Of course! But I know that I might miss that boat. The very fact that I'm alive right now and those life saving technologies don't exist yet means there's no safety net between my mind and the nothingness. Death is something I already accept because it could happen at any moment. I don't think wanting a longer life and the technology that aids that quest makes me anymore naive on the state of my existence. So I try to be happy and enrich my life everyday. I look to the future but I know full well that it might pale in comparison to my hopes and absolutely pale in comparison to the present.

Also, about the "true purpose" thing, that was more so a statement on humanity than it was on my own personal journey. I was merely saying that man's very existence is the antithesis of the natural world. We oppose the natural order and the current state of being and continuously seek to further elevate ourselves. As a civilization and a species with no purpose other than what we make for ourselves, expansion, achievement, and technological empowerment basically becomes our purpose going forward.

edit: none of this is to say I don't get anxious about it all though! Comes with the territory :/

Arkeband

Banned
So I'm confused:

The article literally states that Thiel isn't doing parabiosis:

In our April 2015 interview, Thiel was seemingly explicit that parabiosis was something he hadn't "quite, quite, quite started yet." A Thiel Capital spokesman said nothing had changed since

...yet the intent of the article seems to really want to suggest Thiel goes home and hooks up some baby blood.

And the interview is over a year old.

Is this just a really shitty hit piece on Thiel because of his Trump leanings?

Violet_0

Banned
aside from this sounding a bit like pseudo-science, I don't see the issue with researching anti-aging medicine. Hopefully they'll make a break-through rather sooner than later

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe that's why he's paying kids not to go to college. He wants them to run around, eat grass, stay healthy. Organic youthful blood, 1500$ a liter!

FStop7

Banned
Maybe the end game is to saddle the youth with so much student debt without job prospects that the most lucrative way to make a living is to let wealthy old people feed off of you until you hit 30, then you're discarded.

I should write a story about that.

DarkKyo

The legitimate research goes beyond just vanity projects for the ultra rich. Helps scientists understand aging from various biological perspectives.

Yep, and the mechanisms in aging are very closely related to lots of diseases(maybe most importantly, cancer), so wealthy people funding such research is fantastic for medical science in the end.

Kayhan

Can't we use the poor as walking blood supplies?

Make them useful to us.

By us I mean Silicon Valley billionaires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom