• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Thiel's startup helps authorities track illegal immigrants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are starting to make sense now. Every scum asshole that has been orbiting Trump from the get go is in it for nothing but money.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/22/peter-thiels-startup-helps-authorities-track-illegal-immigrant/

Peter Thiel's startup helps authorities track illegal immigrants
Documents released from a lawsuit tie Palantir to data-mining tools currently used by immigration agencies.

Data-mining and analytics firm Palantir, co-founded by Gawker-bankrupting tech billionaire Peter Thiel, remains a secretive purveyor of intelligence-gathering tools. While a May report revealed the company's struggles retaining blue chip commercial clients, it still retains contracts with some government agencies. Recently-released documents uncover that the company has quietly provided assistance to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) by contributing to an info analysis system that draws information from multiple law enforcement databases. This existing relationship could assist Trump in his stated plans to ramp up the US' immigration vetting process.

Kayhan

A palantír (pl. palantíri) is a fictional magical artefact from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy legendarium. A palantír (sometimes translated as "Seeing Stone" but literally meaning "Farsighted" or "One that Sees from Afar"; cf. English television) is a crystal ball, used for both communication and as a means of seeing events in other parts of the world.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Of all the Silicon Valley companies, I think Palantir is the most believable to even think about doing something like this. I'd be more curious how their employees interact. When you hire people from Silicon Valley, they likely don't support Donald Trump.

edit -- nevermind

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
A palantír (pl. palantíri) is a fictional magical artefact from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy legendarium. A palantír (sometimes translated as "Seeing Stone" but literally meaning "Farsighted" or "One that Sees from Afar"; cf. English television) is a crystal ball, used for both communication and as a means of seeing events in other parts of the world.
Fucking hell.

RinsFury

I hope Elon Musk and the rest of the Silicon Valley notables sitting on the advisory council stand up and oppose this, but I get the feeling that none of them will say anything. Terrifying times we live in.

Vibranium

Banned

That's some Deus Ex shit.

xptoxyz

Why did you add "new" to the article's title? I can't even see how the authors represent Palantir as a "start-up" ... Just say Peter Thiel's company... It's over a decade old and at a stage of its life where it acquires other companies...

Great we live in middle earth now?
Isn't it a thing that Tolkien said
part of the mythos Middle Earth was just an old Earth, like Europe in the past?

I hope Elon Musk and the rest of the Silicon Valley notables sitting on the advisory council stand up and oppose this, but I get the feeling that none of them will say anything. Terrifying times we live in.

Lol those Silicon Valley notables will be lining up to kiss Trump's ring soon enough. They're liberal when it's convenient to them, but money Trumps everything else.

cheezcake

OK this is ridiculous.

Palantir makes big data crunching tools. If you have a fuckton of data you need to make sense of, you might consider using Palantir software. At the moment it's used for a wide range of applications. Counter-terrorism, fraud detection, financial data analysis, disease surveillance, and so on.

It's a tool which helps make sense of generic data. The people at Palantir are not actively making a muslim registry. Should we be outraged at Intel for likely providing the processors which a theoretical muslim registry would be built on? How about the people behind SQL?

The article even ends with this.

Whether one is built with help from Palantir is uncertain, but the tools it already provided could help Trump track individuals his administration deems immigration risks anyway.

A ridiculous, clickbait non-story. What an awful headline.

Palantir?

Reeeeeally.

Great we live in middle earth now?

hxVQBlQ.gif

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
OK this is ridiculous.

Palantir makes big data crunching tools. If you have a fuckton of data you need to make sense of, you might consider using Palantir software. At the moment it's used for a wide range of applications. Counter-terrorism, fraud detection, financial data analysis, disease surveillance, and so on.

It's a tool which helps make sense of generic data. The people at Palantir are not actively making a muslim registry. Should we be outraged at Intel for likely providing the processors which a theoretical muslim registry would be built on? How about the people behind SQL?

Thanks for this. Didn't know that Palantir just offered a software platform. I thought they offered a service. I'm inclined to agree with you upon learning this.

OK this is ridiculous.

Bingo

But no one will read this post

Breads

Banned
Peter Thiel continues to be one of the absolute worst.

If anyone needs a primer on this guy just google his quote that posits that allowing women to vote was the worst thing to happen to democracy.

No seriously.

Google the phrase "allowing women to vote was the worst thing to happen to democracy" and an article about him comes up on the first page.

It's paraphrased, sure, but it gets the point across. Fuck this guy. Taking down Gawker did not redeem him for me. This guy is a certified piece of shit.

Gorillaz

Lol those Silicon Valley notables will be lining up to kiss Trump's ring soon enough. They're liberal when it's convenient to them, but money Trumps everything else.

Ive been waiting for that shoe to drop for awhile.

yall about to see who really for you in these next few months

sant

Thiel and Musk are friends, they are a part of the PayPal Mafia

jay

There was a funny thread on Cook seeing Trump and how that caused outrage. But not because billionaire CEOs directly affect policy.

Joni

Of all the Silicon Valley companies, I think Palantir is the most believable to even think about doing something like this. I'd be more curious how their employees interact. When you hire people from Silicon Valley, they likely don't support Donald Trump.
Except those that hate the homeless or those that vandalized BLM statements in the Facebook office or Palmer Luckey... There are more than enough people there that will support him as long as it is not too public.

Acorn

Peter Thiel is a evil piece of shit so this doesn't surprise me. I wonder where his cheerleaders are now.

SMattera

OK this is ridiculous.

Yup

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I really think the US intelligence ops already have this.
They can't act because of laws. And a dumb way of getting any sort of counter intelligence.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
There's nothing new about Palantir and the title was far from being accurate. OP, don't do that again.

That said, Palantir has earned quite a rep in the Valley and they are far from being innocent hardware providers caught in the wheels of capitalism. They offer services to the government. It is also the opposite of a non story because it highlights a potentially massive conflict of interests between the founder of one of the biggest firms of its industry and the person who has Trump's right ear. At very least, it further shows the troubling and increasing proximity between government and business. I'm not sure if we are even talking about one degree of separation here.

I'd also like to quote this post from a different thread:

The President Elect is a narcissistic sociopath and con man who, like a fucking James Bond villain, is plotting the takeover of the government from his gaudy penthouse at the top floor of a Manhattan skyscraper that he had named after himself. He's advised, among other people, by a neo-fascist demagogue who compares himself to Darth Vader and a techno-fascist Silicon Valley billionaire who heads a company named after the fricking orbs of Sauron.

We are so deep in cartoon villain territory that it truly beggars belief.

Weckum

Palantir has been used for many difference reasons and things, this is just one of them. Although it's sickening that is being used for this, I think the headline implies Palantir is almost exclusively used or made for this, which is unfair.

SMattera

There's nothing new about Palantir and the title was far from being accurate. OP, don't do that again.

That said, Palantir has earned quite a rep in the Valley and they are far from being innocent hardware providers caught in the wheels of capitalism. They offer services to the government. It is also the opposite of a non story because it highlights a potentially massive conflict of interests between the founder of one of the biggest firms of its industry and the person who has Trump's right ear. At very least, it further shows the troubling and increasing proximity between government and business. I'm not sure if we are even talking about one degree of separation here.

I'd also like to quote this post from a different thread:

Can you please define "neo-facist" and "techno-facist" for me?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Can you please define "neo-facist" and "techno-facist" for me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-fascism

Bannon is one.

Techno-facist may be an exaggeration, but Thiel's approach to civil society paints him as a bastard, and that's being polite. In the end, he's your run of the mill, superpowered Valley libertarian with an interesting twist: he has decided to put his weight and wealth behind a reactionary, racist and exclusivist platform clearly linked to neo-fascist organizations and individuals. So he may not be a techno-fascist, but he's 100% techno-asshole.

OK this is ridiculous.

This is bullshit. They are not creating a generic product which happens to be bought by intel agencies (like intel or Microsoft or whatever). They actively develop new tools, customize old ones, and provide consulting services to their customer which are largely from intel / law enforcement and similar fields. They don't hide from that fact either - I was just at a conference where they were hiring and their banner was essentially suggesting their work could prevent stuff like the Paris shootings. Generic data analysis this ain't.

This being said I don't know about the specifics of building tools for illegal immigration tracking, but they would definitely be a natural match

Let us all remember that Thiel has been quoted as saying apartheid was a "net economic benefit and should be lauded" or words to that effect.

I spent an hour reading glass door reviews
They seem to be a company that promises the world at a high level to clients then learns on the job by pissing off the clients I.T departments. "The world" is to combine all kinds of data the organization has or produces, into presumably a single big data repository. No wonder government is the main client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom