• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pfizer Blocks the Use of Its Drugs in Executions. (NYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see a thread. Send me to the chair if old.

The pharmaceutical giant Pfizer announced on Friday that it has imposed sweeping controls on the distribution of its products to ensure that none are used in lethal injections, a step that closes off the last remaining open-market source of drugs used in executions. More than 20 American and European drug companies have already adopted such restrictions, citing either moral or business reasons. Nonetheless, the decision from one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical manufacturers is seen as a milestone.

“With Pfizer’s announcement, all F.D.A.-approved manufacturers of any potential execution drug have now blocked their sale for this purpose,” said Maya Foa, who tracks drug companies for Reprieve, a London-based human rights advocacy group. “Executing states must now go underground if they want to get hold of medicines for use in lethal injection.” The obstacles to lethal injection have grown in the last five years as manufacturers, seeking to avoid association with executions, have barred the sale of their products to corrections agencies. Experiments with new drugs, a series of botched executions and covert efforts to obtain lethal chemicals have mired many states in court challenges.

The mounting difficulty in obtaining lethal drugs has already caused states to furtively scramble for supplies.

Some states have used straw buyers or tried to import drugs from abroad that are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration, only to see them seized by federal agents. Some have covertly bought supplies from compounding pharmacies while others, including Arizona, Oklahoma and Ohio, have delayed executions for months or longer because of drug shortages or legal issues tied to injection procedures.

Pfizer’s decision follows its acquisition last year of Hospira, a company that has made seven drugs used in executions including barbiturates, sedatives and agents that cause paralysis or heart failure. Hospira had long tried to prevent diversion of its products to state prisons but had not succeeded; its products were used in a prolonged, apparently agonizing execution in Ohio in 2014, and are stockpiled by Arkansas, according to documents obtained by reporters.

Because these drugs are also distributed for normal medical use, there is no way to determine what share of the agents used in recent executions were produced by Hospira, or more recently, Pfizer.

Campaigns against the death penalty, and Europe’s strong prohibitions on the export of execution drugs, have raised the stakes for pharmaceutical companies. But many, including Pfizer, say medical principles and business concerns have guided their policies.

“Pfizer makes its products to enhance and save the lives of the patients we serve,” the company said in Friday’s statement, and “strongly objects to the use of its products as lethal injections for capital punishment.”

David B. Muhlhausen, an expert on criminal justice at the Heritage Foundation, accused Pfizer and other drug companies of “caving in to special interest groups.” He said that while the companies have a right to choose how their products are used, their efforts to curb sales for executions “are not actually in the public interest” because research shows, he believes, that the death penalty has a deterrent effect on crime.

Pressure on the drug companies has not only come from human rights groups. Trustees of the New York State pension fund, which is a major shareholder in Pfizer and many other producers, have used the threat of shareholder resolutions to push two other companies to impose controls and praised Pfizer for its new policy.

“A company in the business of healing people is putting its reputation at risk when it supplies drugs for executions,” Thomas P. DiNapoli, the state comptroller, said in an email. “The company is also risking association with botched executions, which opens it to legal and financial damage.”

The full article is longer and more in depth. I recommend reading the entire thing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i wonder how much this has to do with European regulations now that Pfizer is no longer an American company.

trying to spin it off as a positive PR move, i wonder.

As much as I wish this would stop the practice I know some states, i.e Republican ones, will just switch back to the electric chair or even firing squad because they so desperately want to kill these people.

Damaniel

Banned
Some states have used straw buyers or tried to import drugs from abroad that are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration, only to see them seized by federal agents. Some have covertly bought supplies from compounding pharmacies while others, including Arizona, Oklahoma and Ohio, have delayed executions for months or longer because of drug shortages or legal issues tied to injection procedures.

Nothing like committing a crime to punish people for committing a crime...

Fuck the death penalty. It's not a deterrent (and never has been), and you can't take death back if you find out that person wasn't guilty after all.

So they are making it harder to execute murderers and serial rapists? Why does Big Pharma try so hard to protect evil people? Probably because they themselves are evil. I for one will NOT be supporting Pfizer anymore.

Philly40

When there is no profit to be made anymore from the barbaric practises of gassing, electrocuting and lethal chemicals, can America move forward as a 21st century nation -

Or will they move back to hangings and firing squads to please the populace?

So they are making it harder to execute murderers and serial rapists? Why does Big Pharma try so hard to protect evil people? Probably because they themselves are evil. I for one will NOT be supporting Pfizer anymore.

Haha. I like this new style of one person going all weird in a thread.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The cynic in me thinks this is to avoid bad press.
It's there in the OP.
“A company in the business of healing people is putting its reputation at risk when it supplies drugs for executions,” Thomas P. DiNapoli, the state comptroller, said in an email. “The company is also risking association with botched executions, which opens it to legal and financial damage.”

Aurongel

A company in the business of healing people is putting its reputation at risk when it supplies drugs for executions,” Thomas P. DiNapoli, the state comptroller, said in an email. “The company is also risking association with botched executions, which opens it to legal and financial damage.

True patrons of humanity right here folks. These "good on Pfizer" comments make me feel ill.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
If pharmaceuticals are going to be pains in the asses about it, it isn't like we don't have other acceptable options for carrying out death sentences. Bring one of them back and be done with it.

ColdPizza

Banned
Seriously, who cares? Even if their motives were 100% fueled by greed, the actions themselves, and their results, are what matters in the end.

Because intent is nuanced and matters to people like me. Something tells me that if an institution that knowingly used a method of execution that was long and painful, then they'll most likely look for an alternative method to continue.

Pfizer could have been a leader and said "because we abhor the death penalty" but they didn't. It was all about their bottom line.

A Fish Aficionado

Because intent is nuanced and matters to people like me. Something tells me that if an institution that knowingly used a method of execution that was long and painful, then they'll most likely look for an alternative method to continue.

Pfizer could have been a leader and said "because we abhor the death penalty" but they didn't. It was all about their bottom line.
But they and other pharmaceutical companies have done that.
“strongly objects to the use of its products as lethal injections for capital punishment"

The comptroller's quote just explains that this also helps them to not get sued by botched executions.

This has been going on for the past few years.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-oe-alper-lethal-injection-shortages-20150414-story.html

Why are people associating a quote by the New York State Comptroller with Pfizer?

This is the actual statement by Pfizer.
“Pfizer makes its products to enhance and save the lives of the patients we serve,” the company said in Friday’s statement, and “strongly objects to the use of its products as lethal injections for capital punishment.”

ColdPizza

Banned
But they and other pharmaceutical companies have done that.
“strongly objects to the use of its products as lethal injections for capital punishment"

This has been going on for the past few years.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-oe-alper-lethal-injection-shortages-20150414-story.html

I understand this. But the article you quoted basically said what I said. They're just protecting their bottom line.

It's true that drug companies have heard from anti-death penalty advocates, but those same companies — and their shareholders and customers — have long objected to the use of their products in executions, as a reflection of both their values and a concern for their bottom line.

Cyan

Banned
The cynic in me thinks this is to avoid bad press.

Doing nothing would have been bad press is what I'm saying. They don't want their brand to be tied to people dying.

Well there we go. It's not as altruistic as people think.

I understand this. But the article you quoted basically said what I said. They're just protecting their bottom line.

Dude... no shit. Publicly traded companies aren't doing anything out of altruism. Why should that stop people from talking about how this is good news and Pfizer is doing the right thing? I don't think anyone here is under any illusions about Pfizer being some amazing company that's all about the milk of human kindness or whatever. If anything they'd patent it.

A Fish Aficionado

No one in here is saying them making this decision leaves mankind worse off. It's just not anything they deserve to be showered with praise for.
Limiting the drugs and putting pressure on States with death penalties is praiseworthy.

Having worked in the pharmaceutical industry, and also knowing Pfizer... I'll go with $500 to "Companies that try to buy some good PR".

ColdPizza

Banned
Dude... no shit. Publicly traded companies aren't doing anything out of altruism. Why should that stop people from talking about how this is good news and Pfizer is doing the right thing? I don't think anyone here is under any illusions about Pfizer being some amazing company that's all about the milk of human kindness or whatever. If anything they'd patent it.

I didn't ask anyone to stop discussing it.

Cyan

Banned
No one in here is saying them making this decision leaves mankind worse off. It's just not anything they deserve to be showered with praise for.

You aren't being cynical enough tbh. Since companies are motivated by the bottom line and not actual moral concern, we should be praising them for doing the right thing, giving them free publicity, etc. This is what motivates them.

As part of my sociology curriculum at UGA I had to extensively study the death penalty in the U.S.

What a lot of people don't understand is it actually costs more on avg to execute someone than it does to imprison them for life (the time spent on death row + appeals + court costs + execution costs = more than life on avg).

That being said
I think some people need to be executed. I just think there needs to be a large foundation of evidence, and an expedited system in place.

ColdPizza

Banned
As part of my sociology curriculum at UGA I had to extensively study the death penalty in the U.S.

What a lot of people don't understand is it actually costs more on avg to execute someone than it does to imprison them for life (the time spent on death row + appeals + court costs + execution costs = more than life on avg).

That being said
I think some people need to be executed. I just think there needs to be a large foundation of evidence, and an expedited system in place.
I knew this. It's one of many reasons I'm anti-DP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom