• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Adam Prime said:
I was so hype for this game when it was released... it just didn't feel like enough new was added from the first game and lost interest in this very quickly.

It's a fun game, but yeah I think I'm done with Phantasy Star for a while.

Online play wasn't a big thing?

Asparagus

So I downloaded the demo not expecting much and got sucked in for the first time since V2. Now i want it and im even considering paying the ludicrous 40 dollars for it on psn. Are the servers still up for this? How hard is it to get a game going?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I really need ta get back into this now that my backlog is wayyy down. There's still so much left for me ta do! I'll never get all 250 of the titles though... x.x;

Asparagus said:
So I downloaded the demo not expecting much and got sucked in for the first time since V2. Now i want it and im even considering paying the ludicrous 40 dollars for it on psn. Are the servers still up for this? How hard is it to get a game going?

Ya the servers are up still. Dunno how hard it'd be to get a game going but I assume theres still people playing. Its only been 6 months since release after all!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Feels good ta be playing again! 2 months off made the heart grow fonder or something like that! Got the 200th mission clear title and am at 110 titles overall and 8 levels off from L100 now. Totally back in the groove!

Blueblur1

I was playing a ton at the beginning of the year but I hit a wall an stopped playing. I couldn't finish the last boss (damn, I forgot his name already).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Blueblur1 said:
I was playing a ton at the beginning of the year but I hit a wall an stopped playing. I couldn't finish the last boss (damn, I forgot his name already).

o_O ya didn't beat the game yet?? I know the last boss is hard I died at it like a million time but your the thread maker! You owe it to show the game move love then this. A misstep like this could allow some young upstart to steal the PS:p2i OT out from under ya lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Brettison said:
Online play wasn't a big thing?

It's a nice addition, but I found that I didn't have the time to sit down for dedicated sessions. The same problem that I have for any online game...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
L95! Getting closer to the triple digits! Also hit Ranger 16 and Hunter 10. Having the freeze resist ability oughta help out alot! Pit's request missions are glitchier then I thought sometimes you'll end up with more kills then there is possible (ex: The Mad Beasts has two Estarks in Sector 1 and two in Sector 2 yet the kill count says I got 5 of them?). btw Whats up with the online? I was all settled in last night and this afternoon to play but kept getting "the connection to playstation network has timed out" -.- Guess I'll lay back and play Yakuza 4 instead!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wow @ The Kasch Test boss! Ya its a reskin but its awesome looking and as far as I can tell some unique attacks. The level leading up to it is also a new reskin~ darkness infected caverns! Really cools ta see some new stuff outta this game 8 months later even if it was there and easily accessible all along. Makes me extra glad to have the online back cause I know theres still some other stuff I haven't seen yet!

Seventy5

The PSN outage made me start playing on my PSP. I got all into playing a handheld again with Freedom Unite and I've been wanting to try this but I couldnt download the demo with PSN being down. Now that I've played it I am going to buy it for sure. Does anyone play the PSN version on a PSPGo? I'm curious if it controls well with the dual shock over Bluetooth. If it works well, I will be trading my 2000 for a Go, so any feedback would be great.

Side note, Sega better be making PSO2 in this game's mold, and it better come to PS3!

I beat the game on normal but the A-Rank missions were kicking my ass. It's not any harder, it's just that enemies that would previously take off 30% of your HP in one hit were suddenly nailing you for 80%. o_O

I want Sega to release Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity here so we can get the balance fixes.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Edvardelis said:
I beat the game on normal but the A-Rank missions were kicking my ass. It's not any harder, it's just that enemies that would previously take off 30% of your HP in one hit were suddenly nailing you for 80%. o_O

I want Sega to release Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity here so we can get the balance fixes.

All missions are pretty hard until your levels above those of the enemies in them, and even still they'll hit hard! I didn't start doing A rank missions until I was L95 and have cleared 20/53 sticking to the ones with baddies below my level. Staying above the competition is key. Re-doing missions to complete the cafe peoples requests helps make things feel like less of a grind since ya got an extra purpose to re-do missions aside from getting exp.

I hope Segac has PS:p2i at E3! The PSP is on its way out in the US & Europe so they'd better get this thing localized (and properly tested this time)!

AwRy108 said:
No update on this yet, huh?

It only released in japan like 3 months ago. Its not to early to announce the game but there's no way they're done with the translation an stuff yet.

I lost my PSP therefore killing my playing this. I'm really sad actually. I guess since I bought it on the PSN there's that...*sigh*

Edgeward

This is a long shot at this point but, anyone want to play with a lvl 27 (me)? I enjoyed it but the grind without people or good loot was killing me. And to make my request even more ridiculous, I can only play ad-hoc party as PSP hates WPA2 or more precisely doesn't even know it exists.

Edit lvl 29 now, yay!

Edgeward said:
This is a long shot at this point but, anyone want to play with a lvl 27 (me)? I enjoyed it but the grind without people or good loot was killing me. And to make my request even more ridiculous, I can only play ad-hoc party as PSP hates WPA2 or more precisely doesn't even know it exists.
It's late for me now, but I don't mind getting in an AHP session tomorrow.

Edgeward

Professor Beef said:
It's late for me now, but I don't mind getting in an AHP session tomorrow.

I'll be on tomorrow for sure playing AH3 so come on anytime. Now I just to need to find out how AHP works.

Edgeward said:
I'll be on tomorrow for sure playing AH3 so come on anytime. Now I just to need to find out how AHP works.
It's fairly simple, no need to worry. I can walk you through it tomorrow if you haven't found out by then.

Edgeward

Good session. Leveled to 42 now, and got some good A rank loot along the way. Beef and I got an urgent mission, the exp/drop bonuses are ridiculous. But we didnt finish the mission and missed out on the boss exp and entend points at the end. FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Edgeward said:
Good session. Leveled to 42 now, and got some good A rank loot along the way. Beef and I got an urgent mission, the exp/drop bonuses are ridiculous. But we didnt finish the mission and missed out on the boss exp and entend points at the end. FFFFFFFFFFFFF
It was absolutely heartbreaking. I wanted to kill that dragon, too.

Don't forget to check and see your new titles, btw!

Edgeward

Pretty sure I've fallen in love with the game. It strikes that grind/loot itch so well, and ad-hoc party is great! Do more clothes become available later somehow? I hate all of the ones so far =\

Edgeward said:
Pretty sure I've fallen in love with the game. It strikes that grind/loot itch so well, and ad-hoc party is great! Do more clothes become available later somehow? I hate all of the ones so far =\
I think so. I'm sticking with the outfit I imported from PSP1, so I haven't payed much (if any) attention to the clothing shop in PSP2.

Edgeward

Lv 66 and climbing! I need some new armor though, having relatively low magic def is absolutely killing me in the later open missions. Stupid vorcha looking monsters and dragons that spit lasers of fire. Shit takes off around 300+, ridiculous!

Serpent boss, De Rol Le, can die in a fire. Took the most annoying aspect of a boss, the ability to fly away and chuck projectiles, and made it the sole aspect of this boss. Don't even know what the switches on the raft do, since my useless NPCs keeping running towards the edges no doing anything even when I told them to use ranged weapons.

Whip is f'n useless, disappointed I can't Belmont my way in this game effectively. Claws are cool, but has no amazing skill like Blade Destruction. And spear is good only because the one I have causes debuffs on enemies. Back to twin swords I go.

FreeMufasa

The recent PSO2 media blowout has made me interested in picking this up again. I stopped at level 31 sometime last year. I tried playing online last night and what the hell has happened? Everyone is level 200 and every game I went in, people were just sitting in the lobby AFK or idley chatting.

I wanted to see if any gaffers would want to play this late tonight (UK time) or any other day. I've got PSO fever again.

Edgeward

FreeMufasa said:
The recent PSO2 media blowout has made me interested in picking this up again. I stopped at level 31 sometime last year. I tried playing online last night and what the hell has happened? Everyone is level 200 and every game I went in, people were just sitting in the lobby AFK or idley chatting.

I wanted to see if any gaffers would want to play this late tonight (UK time) or any other day. I've got PSO fever again.

If you don't mind playing on ad-hoc party, I will play with you. I'm on lvl 74 and sorta hit a wall since most of the missions that are at my level are still a bit too high for me and kick my ass.

PSN Edgeward34

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Still no infinity news? *sigh*

Oh well, we'll always have PSP1, Sega.

Nekobo

FreeMufasa said:

I'm also looking to get back into this...I think I'm around level 47. My PSN handle is Nekobo1. I'm down for some ad hoc or infrastructure play.

TheSeks said:
Still no infinity news? *sigh*

Oh well, we'll always have PSP1, Sega.

At this point I'm gonna assume the only way we'll play this in English is through a fan translation patch. :( Or maybe on the Vita?

kiryogi

Banned
If this isn't salt on the wound or what.

Phantasy-Star-Defenders-Pack.jpg

kiryogi said:
If this isn't salt on the wound or what.

Phantasy-Star-Defenders-Pack.jpg
Maybe I'm just being wildly optimistic, but re-releases usually imply an impending sequel. PSP1 was re-released as a budget title prior to PSP2's launch - heck the first we heard of PSP2 was from the box of the Japanese budget version of PSP1.

It seems odd to be putting those two titles out again with nothing else in the background to drive sales. Mind you, it is Sega we are talking about.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Does the games 1 UMD or are they on seperate ones? It'd be kinda nice ta have both on one disc.

prowler_ said:
Though PSP2 is superior in every way to 1.

They both have their place. PS:p is the only game in the series with PSU minus synthesizing gameplay. Its also much easier so if ya looking for a quick "dungeon" crawl with little pre-mission setup and difficulty it could arguably be the better one ta turn to. Still PS:p2 is much better overall as ya say.

Bento

Sitting in the PSN store feeling the temptation to buy PSP2, I'm a huge fan of the franchise and the idea of going online in one of these games again is an exciting one but is there anyone still playing? I simply haven't gotten around to it sooner unfortunately :( Maybe someone that owns the game could take a peek in the lobbies :p

vesp

Yea i really want a vita version of the series. I really like psp1/2 but the lack of second analog stick always greatly reduced the amount of time I was willing to put into either game.

Edgeward

Bento said:
Sitting in the PSN store feeling the temptation to buy PSP2, I'm a huge fan of the franchise and the idea of going online in one of these games again is an exciting one but is there anyone still playing? I simply haven't gotten around to it sooner unfortunately :( Maybe someone that owns the game could take a peek in the lobbies :p

I'll still play from time to time, but I can only do ad-hoc since my router security is too good for psp wireless.

Just found my PSP again. Oh god yes its time to get back into this.
Anybody still playing this?

LVL 67 (and LVL 35 alt). I can do Ad-Hoc Party and regular wifi. If anything send me a PM so we can get together.

PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSEEEEEEEE

fates

I know this topic is a bit old but...

Does anyone know why this game was removed from PSN? Seems like with PSO2 a lot of people tried to find this and it's just gone.

Baron

Bought this in late 2010 off PSN but didn't start playing it until this month. Loving it!

I'm a Cast Hunter and thinking about adding axes to my repertoire, is this a good for for the class/type? Also, how are axes? They aren't available to use from the start for any type, and the only one I have is a Lollipop I got from the confectionary - long story short, it's an A weapon and I'd have to spend like 1000 extend points to even give it a try, as I can't find any lower B or C axes yet. That's a lot to spend to just try out a weapon, and I want to be sure it's worth it.

Anyone still playing by the way? I got excited for PSO2 and started playing this at last.

Baron

It took me 98 hours of play-time before I realized that you could decrease the ranks you can customize for weapon usage. I am an idiot.

So that's nice, because it allows me much more flexibility to experiment with different weapon types. I also obtained the Kokuintou Houzuki sword as a title reward for killing 10,000 creatures. Nice piece of steel, that one, though apparently if you kill 2,000 enemies with it before upgrading it it becomes "unsealed" and gains some status-giver-thingys.

All this playtime and I've only gone online twice. Both times I did, the random people I played with didn't want to play the game and dropped out when I started killing creatures instead of sexting with them. Utterly ridiculous.

I'd like to play it, but as far as I know, it's still not compatible with Vita (and I doubt it ever will be). I wish I would have checked more closely before I sold my PSP. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd like to play it, but as far as I know, it's still not compatible with Vita (and I doubt it ever will be). I wish I would have checked more closely before I sold my PSP. :(

It was on PSN but pulled. Dunno why.

In any case, I'm waiting for Infinity to be localized (hahahahahaha ;___;) before even thinking of playing PhStPo2 since that's the definitive version.

Edgeward

I can see that, in fact, nobody is really playing this anymore now. :(

I could play with you. I was around 70 iirc ad stopped because the grind by yourself was a little tedious and I am in a part where I am overleveled for some zones and under for most.

I could only play by ad hoc party though

xBladeM6x

I originally posted this in the PPSSPP Emulation Thread, however I feel it's a good idea to post it here as well so people who are just interested in this game can easily see it instead of going through the entirety of the other topic. Also because it's the OT for the game, and this goes a long way towards preserving it as a whole. There's actually been a revitalization of the translation project for Infinity now that it's perfectly playable on the emulator.

There's a fix in the graphics options called "Depth Range Hack". (Though you need to keep the Rendering at OpenGL as it's not compatible with D3D yet)

Before Fix:

After Fix:

32 Bit PPSSPP Download
64 Bit PPSSPP Download

Before a Mod jumps the gun for thinking I necro'd a two year dead topic, I got permission. Even though they made me aware of the fact that necro'ing doesn't really apply to community threads, I still feel the need to make sure I'm in the safe here Lol

Top Bottom