• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 |OT|

Gattsu25 said:
How can a game with a story this bad and prominent still be this good?

Ended up buying 2 copies for my brothers so I have constant multiplayer partners over ad-hoc party (mainly use AHP over the game's built-in infrastructure because of AHP's voice chat...plus, the last few times I checked the game's online there were few people actually)

I really like this game in a way that I half-expected and half didn't. I loved the first game on PSP but never delved deep (by my standards) into it. I love the way that melée and ranged play. I love the just-block system, the dodging, the melée attack timings, the chain system, etc. So good.

Fuck that story, though. This would have been the very first game where I would have used the 'skip' button on my first playthrough...only this game doesn't even have a skip button...ugh. The game's story has half of the anime tropes that turned me off of anime, so I find it particularly un-engaging.

Anyway, great game. Glad I bought it (3 times :/ ) and hope they make and localize a PSP3

I think you hold either Start or Select to skip. Glad you enjoy the game dude, it's great.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This game needs more love an so I've been giving it a bunch recently by playing it of course! Finally hit Level 80 and hope to at least 100 by years end. I know I've fallen way behind but w/e. I finally cracked in my attempt ta do all missions one rank at a time because of those stupid Nano Dragons in Flaming Horns. I just can't not be killed by them and now my Scape Doll supply is down to 3... x.x This is where playing the online mode may come in handy but its hard ta trust others what with the cheating and all. Also I finally learned how to S rank Polar Rumblings! Falling down into Sector ??? by chance that first time totally blew my mind! So awesome!

depward

Great price - if anyone is moderately interested in playing, $19.99 is a good time to bite.

I've slowed with playing this... but expect to pick it up and plug a lot of time in during the holidays. This is the first time I'm playing as a Force character and it has been... interesting :lol

Did anyone see that about two days ago, GameStop sent out a tweet saying that their online deal of the day was Phantasy Star Portable 1 and the price was 10% off of the retail $39.99 price? :lol :lol

RedSwirl

Game is $15 on PSN for the holidays.

I need to know now: does this game really bring back the awesome dungeon-crawling, combat, and character building from PSO?

I never played Universe or the first Portable so I'm not all clear on what those games got wrong. I only got back into it with Phantasy Star Zero which totally preserves the spirit of the original game. I also started playing PSO on SCHTHACK a while ago.

jorgeton

RedSwirl said:
Game is $15 on PSN for the holidays.

I need to know now: does this game really bring back the awesome dungeon-crawling, combat, and character building from PSO?

I never played Universe or the first Portable so I'm not all clear on what those games got wrong. I only got back into it with Phantasy Star Zero which totally preserves the spirit of the original game. I also started playing PSO on SCHTHACK a while ago.

$15? That hurts, having just spent $40 on the retail version a couple of weeks ago. Worth it though.

It's a lot better than the first PSP: the combat system is more interesting (you can block, perform time based combos, and dodge-roll), there are a whole lot more missions, character customization is more robust than the first PSP and PS Zero, and best of all, infrastucture mode! Battling through A/S ranked quests with three strangers is a lot of fun.

Blueblur1

I finally decided to take my PSP to work again to resume the Story Mode today. But then I realized that I hadn't charged it in weeks so it wouldn't turned on (and didn't). Oh well, made me :lol

Iceman

dumb question: can you play psp games on the PS3?

I don't own a PSP, but I can download PSP games via PSN to my PS3 (obviously so that I can transfer the file to a PSP). Does the PS3 install and play these games?

Blueblur1

Iceman said:
dumb question: can you play psp games on the PS3?

I don't own a PSP, but I can download PSP games via PSN to my PS3 (obviously so that I can transfer the file to a PSP). Does the PS3 install and play these games?
No, it doesn't unfortunately.

Iceman

rats.. i'm daily taunted by my castrated copy of PSO for the Xbox.

I might have to steal back the Dreamcast from my brother.

ShadiWulf

I wish PS3 could play PSP games.. I would love to play PSP2 on my PS3.. PSP cramps my hands... need to get a PSPgo and an AV cable...

Takao

Banned
Among terrible things, I finally got around to buying PSP2 on PSN today. After I finish one of those terrible things I'll start on PSP2. I am allowed to export the character I leveled up in the demo, correct?

ShadiWulf

Takao said:
Among terrible things, I finally got around to buying PSP2 on PSN today. After I finish one of those terrible things I'll start on PSP2. I am allowed to export the character I leveled up in the demo, correct?
yeah, you can import your character from the demo.

Blueblur1

ShadiWulf said:
I would love to play PSP2 on my PS3.. PSP cramps my hands... need to get a PSPgo and an AV cable...
I feel the exact same way. It's one of the reasons why I wish it was on a console.

DiscoJer

ShadiWulf said:
I wish PS3 could play PSP games.. I would love to play PSP2 on my PS3.. PSP cramps my hands... need to get a PSPgo and an AV cable...

Of course, it's not a thread about a PSP Game without people complaining it's on the PSP...sigh

matmanx1

m0dus said:
Would somebody hit psn and see if you can download the theme? I'd be curious what you chaps think of it ;) (my first psp project)

m0dus your theme is sick! Seriously I love it. Especially the custom icons. My biggest problem with most PSP (and PS3) themes is the lack of legibility of the icons and text against the background and you completely solved that problem while still making a very snazzy looking theme. Bravo, man.

zurra

m0dus said:
Would somebody hit psn and see if you can download the theme? I'd be curious what you chaps think of it ;) (my first psp project)
i just grabbed it, definitely planning to use it for a while. the wallpaper's alright, i don't really like the left side of the composition though. the "light" and the lips don't really work for me or make me think of the game. something like the hexagon background they use for the loading screens or during character select might work better there. the big one for me is the footer though, those two black spaces between the footer and the uhh... middle panel steal all the darn focus! XD

i really do like it as a whole though, the designer in me is just a huge critic. i love the color scheme, and how there was room left for text at the top. classy. the icons are fantastic, as always with your themes, and fit well with the stuff that shows up on displays in the game.

are there going to be more? the description says "select from different character races", but there's just the one background. unless i'm doing it wrong, which isn't out of the question...

edit: just grabbed the VC2 theme also, it's superb. keep up the good work!!

Grabbed both of them. Love em. Modus, your work is so full of win its amazing. Really appreciate it.

The Take Out Bandit said:
THIS! THIS! THIS!

I bought this game.

THREE TIMES!

Also this. BUY THIS DAMN GAME! 16 IS A EFFIN STEAL. SO MANY HOURS PUT IN AND YOULL KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE. RAWRRRRRR

ShadiWulf

Of course, it's not a thread about a PSP Game without people complaining it's on the PSP...sigh

:p it's true. I'm not bashing PSP. It's my favorite handheld. it just makes my hands cramp up. I love the dualshock controller.

The Take Out Bandit said:
THIS! THIS! THIS!

I bought this game.

THREE TIMES!

Daaayum =P Three times is a lot.

Has anyone here been setting up parties to play online? Most of the random players on the servers suck. It's gotten better since SEGA fixed the whole people who don't have legit copies can't play online issue.. but it's still annoying.

Nekobo

I picked this up via the Sega's PSN sale. How active is the online community? Anyone want to play online this weekend? I'll be a LVL 1 scrub (what's a good starter class, btw?), but I'm sure there'll be an influx of new players because of the deal.

I haven't started the game yet, so I'm not sure how the online works. Do I need to give out my PSN handle or do I need to create some kind of player/hunter card?

jorgeton

Nekobo said:
I picked this up via the Sega's PSN sale. How active is the online community? Anyone want to play online this weekend? I'll be a LVL 1 scrub (what's a good starter class, btw?), but I'm sure there'll be an influx of new players because of the deal.

I haven't started the game yet, so I'm not sure how the online works. Do I need to give out my PSN handle or do I need to create some kind of player/hunter card?

I would start as a Hunter or Ranger. I'm not a personal fan of force users and have yet to try out the new vanguard class. But each class is pretty malleable and you're never stuck with whatever class you decide, it's easy to change it up.

The online community is decent, IMHO. I usually don't have a problem finding people to play with. But, be on the lookout for those who use the game as a virtual chat room and aren't really into the whole "playing the game" part. I don't get it. Getting online is as easy as selecting it from the menu and joining an open party.

My wife is getting a PSP for Christmas. If I jump on the digital sale for this could both me and my wife play on the same PSN account, or do I need two different accounts and have to purchase the game twice?

I'm not clear on Sony's multiple device policy when it comes to the PSP.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
My wife is getting a PSP for Christmas. If I jump on the digital sale for this could both me and my wife play on the same PSN account, or do I need two different accounts and have to purchase the game twice?

I'm not clear on Sony's multiple device policy when it comes to the PSP.

PSN lets you have 1 account attached to up to 5 PSP's. Or 3 or something. You're good. Buy it once, download it. Download it on 2nd PSP. Profit.

Fake edit: For playing online at the same time, Im not sure tbh. If you planned to play online at the same time there may be a problem and you'd have to buy it twice.

depward

I will say to new players - don't be a Force. This Phantasy Star game, I was determined to play as a Force. I now have a level 41 (~20 hours played) primarily Force character that I just don't like playing with. I don't like how the damage output is very good and I don't like how I have to hit a mob once for me to get EXP when it dies.

Blueblur1

depward said:
I will say to new players - don't be a Force. This Phantasy Star game, I was determined to play as a Force. I now have a level 41 (~20 hours played) primarily Force character that I just don't like playing with. I don't like how the damage output is very good and I don't like how I have to hit a mob once for me to get EXP when it dies.
Forces haven't been as powerful and fun to play as since PSO. I'm hoping that they get buffed up for PSP2 Infinity.

Nekobo

I decided to go with a hunter. I also created a cute female beastman because transforming into a huge beast sounds cool.

Anyone playing this weekend? :eek:

I had this game stolen (it was in my PSP, which was also stolen), and have just now repurchased it and am starting over again from scratch. I'd be more than happy to group up online with any of the people just now buying the game. I won't be playing this weekend because I'll be doing tons of traveling, but after that I should be playing a fair amount...though right now my time will probably be split between this and the console game where I am trying to finally cap my main character during Absolute Zero.

Nekobo

Sounds good! I'm a LVL 3 Beastman Hunter. What's the best way to organize a party? Create a private NeoGAF room?

ShadiWulf said:
Daaayum =P Three times is a lot.

Has anyone here been setting up parties to play online? Most of the random players on the servers suck. It's gotten better since SEGA fixed the whole people who don't have legit copies can't play online issue.. but it's still annoying.

Twice for me, once for my buddy and his wife. :)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Bump for some bitching an for the new year~

Did the same people that "play test" PSU also do it for this game? Cause there seems ta be alotta annoying bugs! I found a couple more in the past week or so. No items dropping from anything in Sector 3 of Seed Express is a big one that shouldn't have gone unnoticed! In a game full of loot lovin' ya just can't have it not dropping! And now I was doing a Pit request and killed like a Tengohg then checked my total only ta see it hadn't been counted! What the heck >.< Its like no wonder his requests take so long to complete! blah!

Oh wells I'm still having fun even if I am playing abit less and am lacking in online experience and am kinda stuck on what ta do next in general. Almost L90 now but don't feel ready for most A rank missions. Maybe I'll try an get a better ending from the story mode ~_~?

edit: And another thing, enemies with the Sword/Shield/Crown icons an slightly different appearances no longer give extra exp. Instead they give the same amount as the standard versions of them. Which totally sucks since they are harder to beat. I wonder if that was an intentional change or yet another glitch?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
RedSwirl said:
I take it the open missions are nearly impossible in singleplayer.

How do ya mean? I've completed like all of 'em on B rank and a few on A rank so far. I think to some degree ya need to be overleveled. Good equips/abilities are needed to. Always bring NPCs to even if they are annoying and often unhelpful >.>

deim0s

Picked this up during the holidays (and sadly shelfed it atm, till I finish some games off), was wondering what does the PSN code/voucher really do?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
deim0s said:
Picked this up during the holidays (and sadly shelfed it atm, till I finish some games off), was wondering what does the PSN code/voucher really do?

Let's you access Sega's online servers. If you bought used/pirated it you're SOL. Which was the goal behind it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
#$*#$*wead848-wbgf4685l8a95%(QW#9 >.<!!

Alls I wanted ta work at today was getting the Bil De Golus Slayer title. Sooo I play through flaming horns braving deadly nano dragons ta get to the boss. It be's its usual annoying almost nothing but tail swinging but then it flew up! Still hittable but not down yet. It then lands outside the arena. Now he's in the lava endlessly charging at me but can't hit me nor can I hit him.

Mission unclearable. I have to abandon it an start again. Who the Segac playtested this game?!

RedSwirl

Lindsay said:
How do ya mean? I've completed like all of 'em on B rank and a few on A rank so far. I think to some degree ya need to be overleveled. Good equips/abilities are needed to. Always bring NPCs to even if they are annoying and often unhelpful >.>

I don't think I figured out how but I haven't touched the game in a while.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
phantasy-star-portable-2-infinity-release.jpg

So while the 3DS stole headlines (bad release date anyone?) Infinity launched in Japan Yesterday on the 25th.

Disguises

Brettison said:
http://www.pso-world.com/files/phantasy-star-portable-2-infinity-release.jpg

So while the 3DS stole headlines (bad release date anyone?) Infinity launched in Japan Yesterday on the 25th.
Which reminds me: I would KILL to have some kind of Phantasy Star Portable/Zero on 3DS.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was so hype for this game when it was released... it just didn't feel like enough new was added from the first game and lost interest in this very quickly.

It's a fun game, but yeah I think I'm done with Phantasy Star for a while.

Blueblur1

I've been playing this a ton lately. I reached the final chapter earlier today but I decided to take a break after Shiruzu kicked my ass twice. :p

Top Bottom