• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 |OT|

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I bought the game off PSN for my 2000, I did not need any license stuff. You must have your PSN Log in information entered and saved in your PSP before you can log into the Sega Phantasy Star servers. That's probably why you were booted... at least that's the reason why I was the first time I turned on the game. I just signed into the PSN store on my PSP (keep in mind it has to be the same account that you purchased the game on) and everything was peachy after that.

matmanx1

Finished Chapter 4 tonight. The last boss of that chapter was by far the toughest thing I've faced yet but I still didn't die and didn't have to use a scape doll either. Miku's rifle pew-pew's nicely!

I'm still really enjoying the game play but what's surprising me is how much better looking the environments are this time around. I remember being vaguely bored by most of the stuff I saw in PSP1 but this time around I've seen several really nice looking areas with some good use of color. PSP2, from what I can tell, is a large improvement over the first game in just about every single way and the graphics are no exception.

gunstarhero

Stupid question:

I started the game as a Vangaurd/Beast, but it didn't dawn on me that this might keep me from using the better weapons later in the game. Is this true? Are there level requirements greater than 20 later in the game?

Im currently at lvl17 with my vanguard, at chapter 3 or 4. Im think of changing types at this point to avoid the disappointment later in the game.

Lyte Edge said:
Guys, I'm confused here. I have just started playing this game. When I go online, I tend to get booted pretty quickly. I assume it's because I don't have a little wing license.

I bought the game on PSN. I didn't get a little wing license. I don't see the option for the code under my account services. What I am missing here?

EDIT: This is odd. The game shows up on my PSN downloads list but doesn't show that I've purchased it on PSN. I'm baffled.

EDIT 2: Wait...if I got this game off PSN and play on a Go, I don't need the license? :lol

Make sure you activate your PSN account for "Game" via the PSP menu.
Then turn your PSP off, restart, and it should work fine.

Thats the advice from RubyEclispse, Community Manager of PSP2.

The Game menu is under account management -> System activation.

gunstarhero said:
Stupid question:

I started the game as a Vangaurd/Beast, but it didn't dawn on me that this might keep me from using the better weapons later in the game. Is this true? Are there level requirements greater than 20 later in the game?

Im currently at lvl17 with my vanguard, at chapter 3 or 4. Im think of changing types at this point to avoid the disappointment later in the game.

I think there may be, check PSPedia.com and find the information.

Ridley327

gunstarhero said:
Stupid question:

A-rank weapons, for example, hover between 50-60 until you're able to use them.

Also, there is no reason to worry about being locked out of using a weapon in this game. The Extend Type function at the Type Counter allows you to completely customize your loadouts, no matter what class you are. The only thing you're locked out of are gender- and race-specific items.

gunstarhero

A-rank weapons, for example, hover between 50-60 until you're able to use them.

Also, there is no reason to worry about being locked out of using a weapon in this game. The Extend Type function at the Type Counter allows you to completely customize your loadouts, no matter what class you are. The only thing you're locked out of are gender- and race-specific items.

Ah! I get it - so it only my stats that will hit a ceiling... I can live with that. :D

Thanks!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I just noticed all the kubara replicas no longer have bad sounding descriptions! Segac is trying ta make us forget where their current title came from! Or so they say.

remz

Lindsay said:
I just noticed all the kubara replicas no longer have bad sounding descriptions! Segac is trying ta make us forget where their current title came from! Or so they say.
Guess they got a new translator. Probably.

anddo0

Thinking about picking this up... Is the single player good enough to warrant a purchase?

I'll eventually toy around with the MP.. but SP comes first.

anddo0 said:
Thinking about picking this up... Is the single player good enough to warrant a purchase?

Most people think the storys kind of meh and just skip it, I personally enjoy it but multiplayer is a big part of the game (even SEGA realised this time)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Did anyones see this yet??

http://psp2.psupedia.info/Weapon_upgrading

The weapon upgrade systems are slightly different between the the Japanese and English versions of Phantasy Star Portable 2. Though the functions remain identical, the incremental upgrade values differ. In the Japanese version, the power boost received from each upgrade can vary based on the weapon's grade. For example, C, B and A-grade sabers will always receive +5 ATK with each upgrade, however S-grade sabers can receive either +5 or +6 ATK. This variance was removed in the English version of Phantasy Star Portable 2. And not only that, but the overall upgrade value for each weapon category was also boosted. Going with the previous example, all sabers in the English version of the game, regardless of grade, will receive +7 ATK with each upgrade.

No more variable grinding! Now its like PSU (online but without the breaking) where there is just a single upgrade value! Woohoo! Now I can upgrade weapons without having to save/reload for better stats!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
anddo0 said:

There is TONS to do in SP. There's almost no reason to ever touch MP, aside from the unique online game modes: battle, challenge... but for the most part you can have a great experience SP. Obviously getting real teammates rather than the AI is better when playing MP.

One thing that'll save your life during SP: Hold down Start to skip all the dialog and cutscenes. They are Saturday Morning 4am cartoon special, if you know what I mean.
they are the worst shit ever

Blueblur1

Hey guys!

I finally started dedicating some serious time to PSP2 this past week and I'm loving it. Amazon took it's sweet time shipping me a copy and when I eventually received it I made a basic Human Hunter but by then I had already began wandering off into Halo-land (in other words, started playing a ton of Halo: Reach). But I'm back now. I've been having an absolutely fantastic time with the story mode. I'm amazed that I don't actually hate Emilia and company (well, except for Yut) and I love the overall vibe of the world (PSU with some PSO trappings is surpisingly enjoyable). The only downside so far are the hand cramps I keep getting from using my PSP for so long. It really makes me wish that this game was on a home console. Regardless, I'll keep playing.

Edit: Man, if PSO2 basically turns out to be a console version of this game or PSP2i, I'll be so damn happy. Add in some extra touches (Telepipes, Photon Blasts, music that transitions to battle themes, etc.) and I'd play PSO2 forever. :)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
We need an official gaf team/teams. I'm pretty fine playing single player mode yet I also wanna break out of that and do multiplayer stuffs to. I'm to paranoid about joining random teams and getting "glitched" by cheaters and instantly being leveled to 200 with rare drops all over the place.

Does anyone know why there isn't a Little Wing license for sale on PSN? Do they not want people that bought it used to be able ta play online? Every other company doing this sort of thing sells an online key so used buyers can go online. Turn away new players and money... what a Segac thing to do... o_O

Lindsay said:
We need an official gaf team/teams. I'm pretty fine playing single player mode yet I also wanna break out of that and do multiplayer stuffs to. I'm to paranoid about joining random teams and getting "glitched" by cheaters and instantly being leveled to 200 with rare drops all over the place.

Does anyone know why there isn't a Little Wing license for sale on PSN? Do they not want people that bought it used to be able ta play online? Every other company doing this sort of thing sells an online key so used buyers can go online. Turn away new players and money... what a Segac thing to do... o_O

Im down for an official team. What level are you guys up to?

No45

I'm just starting out on this (Only got it with the UK PSN update on Wednesday) and I'm feeling my way (Via a variety if missteps, being crap at the game and getting hand cramps) but I'd love to get into the online at some point. Only level 7/8 at the moment though, I'm sure you're all light years ahead by now!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Do we have a PSN name list already in this or another thread? Sounds like we need to get one going, that way I can see who on my Friend's List is online and hit them up for some multiplayer. I'll go ahead and add mine:

PSN adam_prime Lv 25

No45

Can you get in touch using PSN names? I thought you just needed to make a room/party and pass out the details?

No45 said:
Can you get in touch using PSN names? I thought you just needed to make a room/party and pass out the details?

I think you're right. Im not sure the game even uses your PSN name, doesnt it use your Character name? The name you decide on when you make the character.

You we never did get together and do some runs. Im lvl 55 Hunter Human on my highest and 25 BEVanguard on my alt.

It's friday. Come on guys. GAF PSP2 Meetup. Tonight. Let's do it.

Pietepiet

xKilltheMx said:
Im home and ready to play now. Wanna go?
Ack, sorry! I booted up FFXIV just after I posted that and didn't see your message for an hour :(

Do I have your partner card? If not, I'll just get online now and trade real quick. Not sure if I'll do a mission now, but it will be handy for later :)

Pietepiet said:
Ack, sorry! I booted up FFXIV just after I posted that and didn't see your message for an hour :(

Do I have your partner card? If not, I'll just get online now and trade real quick. Not sure if I'll do a mission now, but it will be handy for later :)

Don't think you do.
I can make a room real quick Named GAF so we can trade cards real quick.

Blueblur1 said:
I'll be able to go online later today (like 6 hours from now). I'll post then to see if any of you guys can get on.

6 hours um, I think Ill be off playing SSBB around that time. At around 10:30 or 11 EST I should be back home and up to do some rounds.

Pietepiet said:
I keep getting connection errors when I want to join the party. Connecting to the lobby is fine :(

=[
Argh maybe if i take it down and put up a no pw version?

EDIT:
Took my room down.
You make the room and I'll join.

Pietepiet

Possibly. I've opened ports for PSN and everything. Maybe I can't connect to you though because of some port issues?

[EDIT]
Room is up.
GAF
believe

Pietepiet said:
Possibly. I've opened ports for PSN and everything. Maybe I can't connect to you though because of some port issues?

[EDIT]
Room is up.
GAF
believe

Uh found the room.
Couldnt join either.
=/
Im trying again.

Says I cant join the room from an error connecting to PS Network. Join another party, I guess it's just us not being able to connect to each other. Um try making it with no PW

Pietepiet

If this keeps up, let's just try some other time this weekend?
Add me on MSN or gtalk for easier communication: pietepiet@gmail
Or Skype of that's your thing: PixelPaulie

[EDIT]
I'll make it without the pass. Will be called GAF again.

Pietepiet said:
If this keeps up, let's just try some other time this weekend?
Add me on MSN or gtalk for easier communication: pietepiet@gmail
Or Skype of that's your thing: PixelPaulie

Yeah thats no prob. Ill add you on MSN and/or skype

Damn, the one night I have time to play with all of you my internet is down. Leeching from an open wifi network nearby but it isn't so hot. Hopefully my internet will kick back in soon.

Scalpel Knight said:
Damn, the one night I have time to play with all of you my internet is down. Leeching from an open wifi network nearby but it isn't so hot. Hopefully my internet will kick back in soon.

That sucks, but i think i just fucked my router to hell and back while messing around with settings :lol
Ill worry about it when I get back home, for now OFF TO PLAY SUPER SMASHHHH BROTHERSSSSSS

No45

This is a long shot I'm sure, but thought I'd ask. I have the PSN version and I'm still finding my feet in the game at the moment, it would be a real help to have a copy of the manual that I can flick through as I'm playing rather than having to quit out and access it through the XMB. Don't suppose there's an official PDF I can get hold of (Perhaps from SEGA by providing proof of purchase)? :(

I started over last night. My first character I created female and named what I usually name male characters (It was a Cast Hunter and the name isn't strictly masculine, but I always associate it with my male characters) and I couldn't live with it. This is from someone that deleted his first WoW 60 because it was ugly (Yes, this is before you could change and no, somehow it didn't occur to me before I hit 60).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
No45 said:
I started over last night. My first character I created female and named what I usually name male characters (It was a Cast Hunter and the name isn't strictly masculine, but I always associate it with my male characters) and I couldn't live with it. This is from someone that deleted his first WoW 60 because it was ugly (Yes, this is before you could change and no, somehow it didn't occur to me before I hit 60).

You probably could have left all that out of your post....

ANYWAYS, I don't think there is a PDF of the manual. There is a lot of stuff to go over in the game, but your best bet is to just play. You'll get a hang of the mechanics after a while, especially if this is your first Phantasy Star game... then yeah it can definitely be confusing.

I think if you have specific questions about game play mechanics its best just to ask in the thread, you'll get a better and more detailed answer than the manual usually.

No45

Yeah, thought as much. I had another quick flick through the manual at lunch today and played a little further, making an effort to speak to everyone else back at base and go through some of the tutorials. I think I understand most of it now, I just need to get a few decent palettes going and I'm golden. :)

Shame there's no direct PSN messaging from the game though (Well, from the PSP in general), it would make setting up online games that much easier. :'(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182723

Hi everyone,

Some important news that I wanted to pass on today, which could come into play in the near future. (Worry not though - it's good stuff.)

I'm sure many of you have heard or remember the issues with the authentication check not working properly for PSP2. This essentially made all those shiny codes we spent a long time securing null and void, as it meant that anyone could get online, even if they didn't get a legitimate copy of the game.

On that front, some good news - this will soon no longer be the case.

We've been working hard with Sony to help determine why the problem was occurring and what could be done to fix it. A solution has now been worked out, but there's a chance it might require existing players to download the Little Wing License from the PSN store again. Worry not though, as it will be free and automatically available.

So, if at any point in the near future you run into an error logging in, just head to the PSN store and you should see a new version of the Little Wing License to pick up, which will be free to download for both retail and digital copies of the game.

I'll post again as I hear more news about when this might go live and a more detailed set of directions to find the new Little Wing License if this route is pursued. I'm passing this news on early and it's definitely subject to change, but I wanted to pass it on ahead of time so that people know we're taking care of the issue and what to do if they run into a Little Wing License error at any point.

Thanks everyone.

- Ruby

At least they're fixing something? Now how about all them glitches Ruby?

I bought this game on launch, but due to having a newborn in the house I really didn't get to play past the first couple of missions in story mode.

I'm starting to pick it back up again now. Anyone want to play with a total noob? :D

Blueblur1

I would play with you but I haven't finished the Story Mode yet and when I usually have time to play it's at late at night or during my lunch break at work.

Is everybody else is still playing? What's your progress so far if so? I'm Level 40 and I'm at Chapter 6 in the Story Mode. I'm still really enjoying it. Especially since the characters and writing aren't as terrible as they were in Phantasy Star Universe and Portable 2.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm L72 Ra-13. My progress has been slow but not entirely halted as I make an effort ta replay the first two Golden Sun games before the thirds out. I still haven't put much time in multi-player cause the single mode is so satisfying its not like PSU offline or online at all. I'm also alil down cause I don't feel I have a shot at getting all of the titles since many are grindy multi-player required things. ;_;

btw how do I unlock the
Magashi's Rival
title? I figure it was like any other character related title just bring him on 10 missions and bam ya got it but noooo. I've had him on team for nearly 30 missionics and I still didn't get it!

Gattsu25

Banned
How can a game with a story this bad and prominent still be this good?

Ended up buying 2 copies for my brothers so I have constant multiplayer partners over ad-hoc party (mainly use AHP over the game's built-in infrastructure because of AHP's voice chat...plus, the last few times I checked the game's online there were few people actually)

I really like this game in a way that I half-expected and half didn't. I loved the first game on PSP but never delved deep (by my standards) into it. I love the way that melée and ranged play. I love the just-block system, the dodging, the melée attack timings, the chain system, etc. So good.

Fuck that story, though. This would have been the very first game where I would have used the 'skip' button on my first playthrough...only this game doesn't even have a skip button...ugh. The game's story has half of the anime tropes that turned me off of anime, so I find it particularly un-engaging.

Anyway, great game. Glad I bought it (3 times :/ ) and hope they make and localize a PSP3

Top Bottom