• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philly.com: Penn Staters still seethe over Paterno’s treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Llama

My evidence is anecdotal from people I know on Facebook/around the office. It's certainly not the majority opinion and it's a fringe group even for the crazies, but they're there.

Yeah, there's a few people who think that, but they're truly, truly crazy. Basically they think all these kids just made it up. But its so few people anyway, they're just way out there.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Going to need to see some evidence of this claim. Even the most ardent penn state fans I've talked to acknowledge that Sandusky raped those boys.

Some people told me at a "Penn State bar" in LA that the kids asked for it, and that it was all consensual. You're probably not going to find straight out news reports of people saying stuff like this, but it's rampant among the troops on the ground.

Even in this day, people have a hard time rectifying that someone that you see as a role model can actually be a horrible monster, or at least, so negligent to allow a horrible monster to persist.

Some people told me at a "Penn State bar" in LA that the kids asked for it, and that it was all consensual. You're probably not going to find straight out news reports of people saying stuff like this, but it's rampant among the troops on the ground.

This is absurd to the point that I'm ready to call you a liar or not able to tell when somebody is being cynical about something.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As a Penn State alum, I really just wish these people would shut up. Hell, most of us wish they would. It's mostly just a bunch of old people who don't have anything better to do with their time.

Yep, that's how I feel too (class of '94 here). I loved and adored JoePa before this, but the blind eye he turned was inexcusable on this matter. He admitted this himself shortly before he died, stating that "I should have done more". Paterno is lucky he died when he did or he would have faced further smearing for lying to the grand jury (proven by the recovered emails).

Some people are just too blinded by fanaticism to admit that Paterno was human and capable of making horrible mistakes.

Ourobolus

Banned

This would be the first time I've heard of people defending Sandusky and meant it. Sure, plenty of people will defend (and have defended) JoePa, but I've never met a single person who actually defended Sandusky.

spookyfish

Exactly, that's all Penn State is, one example out of many. Look at UNC with their fake classes, Notre Dame and Florida State with rapists on the football team (University of Washington years ago), etc. etc.
The problem isn't Penn State specifically, yet some people keep trying to make it about them as if they're different from 100 other colleges with big football or basketball programs.

Supporting some other college team doesn't make you much better than these Penn State idiots.

I tend to agree. Penn State just took it to the maximum.

Ever since the NCAA didn't just obliterate the PSU program I've pretty much stopped watching college football. I've maybe watched one or two games since then.
They did, they just wussed out and undid a lot of it. No Bowl Games, the fines and loss of scholarships is a pretty big deal.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is absurd to the point that I'm ready to call you a liar or not able to tell when somebody is being cynical about something.

This would be the first time I've heard of people defending Sandusky and meant it. Sure, plenty of people will defend (and have defended) JoePa, but I've never met a single person who actually defended Sandusky.

Obviously I don't have an audio recording, but it happened and they weren't being cynical. It was during an alumni event, so they probably felt that they were comfortably among their own. I wouldn't blame anybody for not believing me, but this level of delusion has been my experience as someone married to a person who went to Penn State and who is exposed to alumni gatherings.

They basically want all of the blame and the responsibility to be shouldered on Sandusky.

Don't punish the team or the legendary coach.
Legend coach who was complicit because he knew what was going on behind his back and did NOTHING about it. So legally he was an enabler

Paterno knew. He turned a blind eye to the suffering of those kids. Fuck him. Fuck his legacy. Fuck trying to twist and turn and spin this into Joe Pa being the "good" guy.

slabrock

Banned
They did, they just wussed out and undid a lot of it. No Bowl Games, the fines and loss of scholarships is a pretty big deal.

Nah, I'm talking SMU death penalty. Especially considering the cowardly way the NCAA undid it; announcing it during the heights of the Michael Brown protests when the press was pre-occupied.

Ourobolus

Banned
Obviously I don't have an audio recording, but it happened and they weren't being cynical. It was during an alumni event, so they probably felt that they were comfortably among their own. I wouldn't blame anybody for not believing me, but this level of delusion has been my experience as someone married to a person who went to Penn State and who is exposed to alumni gatherings.

I'm not disputing the actual incident, just the usage of the word "rampant."

I'm not saying they don't. I'm simply agreeing that college fandom (particularly football) is worse based on my personal experience. I live in VA (but was at FSU for grad school) and the hardest Redskins fans are nothing compared to almost the average FSU football fans.
lol those same Redskins fans causing an international embarrassment over clinging to their racist name?

Hate to tell you, but it's ownership not the fan base that's keeping the name the way it is.

Also, lols I've seem to have hit a nerve.
Ah the patented thread pile on. Well you made the assertion that college fans are objectively worse. Where are the receipts?

I'd have no problem with anyone saying sports fans in general have issues. Both pro and collegiate worldwide. I mean look at soccer fights and riots that happen or have happened in the world.

Edit: But singling out one level out of a handful of incidents given there are hundreds and thousands of programs out there? I don't know.

DopeToast

Banned
I really wish the NCAA would have stayed strong on PSU's punishment, or even given them a one-to-two year death penalty. Such a gross situation all around.

To those who still defend Joe Paterno: I understand that he did so much for the program and school, and it's probably hard to see him in any way other than like this weird, Godlike grandpa if that's how he was always portrayed. But the man let horrible things happen to children for years, and there is no excuse for that. I understand why you might want to defend him, but you just can't anymore.

Edit: The only thing I don't agree with is the vacating of the wins from 1998 on. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but it just seems unnecessary. An actual punishment with sanctions, like no nationally televised games, little to no scholarships, no post-season appearances, death penalty, etc. The vacated wins just seems like a silly slap on the wrist since everyone knows that they still won those games. The true records are still there. They should have been properly punished.

Ah the patented thread pile on. Well you made the assertion that college fans are objectively worse. Where are the receipts?

I'd have no problem with anyone saying sports fans in general have issues. Both pro and collegiate worldwide. I mean look at soccer fights and riots that happen or have happened in the world.

So your argument is two wrongs make a right?

I guess from these people's perspectives, Joe Paterno was God of the cult, and, as such, his enemies are... infidels or something? It's like some people are completely unwilling to accept that even revered cultural figures are still human beings and can still do awful, shitty things.

Never understood the whole situation with Paterno. I thought the story was that he was made aware that Sandusky was doing some shady shit and he reported it to his superior. And end of story, right? He did the right thing, no? I assume that I must be missing something, correct?

Stet

Banned
Never understood the whole situation with Paterno. I thought the story was that he was made aware that Sandusky was doing some shady shit and he reported it to his superior. And end of story, right? He did the right thing, no? I assume that I must be missing something, correct?

And then together they decided to ignore it tra la la la la

turtle553

Paterno was exonerated from any legal wrongdoings as he had reported what he heard. And what he was told was not Sandusky was fucking little boys, but a very vague description of something weird in the shower. He reported what he was told and assumed the higher-ups investigated properly. Sanduskly wasn't even a member of the coaching staff at the time of the first allegation. How was Paterno supposed to know what was going on when the state of Pennsylvania was placing kids inside Sandusky's house with no issue.

Certainly he could have followed up harder, but that is not an uncommon action when hearing vague accusations. Listening to people here, you would think Paterno was in the shower cheering on as some poor kid got abused. These cases are very tough to follow and cause emotions to get raised. In general the NCAA is a joke with their inconsistent and arbitrary punishments. And taking away wins from a program is just stupid on principle.

After reporting it he still let Sandusky come around, keep an office on campus and use the athletic facilities, without bothering to follow up on, you know, that whole shower rape thing. And the assistant coach who saw the rape happening was still on his staff.

Paterno was exonerated from any legal wrongdoings as he had reported what he heard. And what he was told was not Sandusky was fucking little boys, but a very vague description of something weird in the shower. He reported what he was told and assumed the higher-ups investigated properly. Sanduskly wasn't even a member of the coaching staff at the time of the first allegation. How was Paterno supposed to know what was going on when the state of Pennsylvania was placing kids inside Sandusky's house with no issue.

Certainly he could have followed up harder, but that is not an uncommon action when hearing vague accusations. Listening to people here, you would think Paterno was in the shower cheering on as some poor kid got abused. These cases are very tough to follow and cause emotions to get raised. In general the NCAA is a joke with their inconsistent and arbitrary punishments. And taking away wins from a program is just stupid on principle.
Let me guess, you're a Penn State fan?

devilhawk

If the NCAA doesn't bring the pain down on UNC for basically running a fake department and an athlete diploma mill, then there is really no reason for them to even exist - especially after backing out of the PSU punishment.

The Llama

If the NCAA doesn't bring the pain down on UNC for basically running a fake department and an athlete diploma mill, then there is really no reason for them to even exist - especially after backing out of the PSU punishment.

It's almost sad, really. You'd think the UNC case would be exactly the type of thing they should be hard on and no one could even complain about it. Yet they've done nothing. It's sad, really.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Because he was fucking told by Mike McQueary that Sandusky was involved in something "way over the lines and extremely sexual in nature" with a young boy in the showers. I don't care that McQueary didn't give Paterno a blow-by-blow accounting of what he witnessed, Paterno was given enough information to be put on notice that something extremely improper was happening between Sandusky and at least that one young boy.

So Paterno tells the "chief of the university police" aka the President of the University and then never follows up, never mentions it again, and never says fucking "boo" to Sandusky who retained his access to Penn State facilities. How this is excusable by some Penn State fans or alumni is absolutely mind blowing.

devilhawk

It's almost sad, really. You'd think the UNC case would be exactly the type of thing they should be hard on and no one could even complain about it. Yet they've done nothing. It's sad, really.
You can make a case that they have lost authority over many aspects of amateurism and maybe never really had it for legal issues like Sandusky, but if they won't punish a school for a blatant academic scandal?

After reporting it he still let Sandusky come around, keep an office on campus and use the athletic facilities, without bothering to follow up on, you know, that whole shower rape thing. And the assistant coach who saw the rape happening was still on his staff.

That's the thing PSU fans can never explain to me. Either Paterno kept a man around the program that did the worst possible thing you could do to a child, or he kept a guy who falsely accused a man of doing the worst possible thing you could do to a child.

Which is it?

That's the thing PSU fans can never explain to me. Either Paterno kept a man around the program that did the worst possible thing you could do to a child, or he kept a guy who falsely accused a man of doing the worst possible thing you could do to a child.

Which is it?
What it is is that he kept the program going, and won a lot of football games. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Admodieus

As somebody who lives in PA and has had several friends go there for school, the article is spot on and several of the commenters are the typical cultists you meet among that school's alumni. It really is the closest thing this country has to North Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom