• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Pepiope

Oh thanks. FIOS put "coming soon" flyers on every house on my block one or two weeks ago. Hopefully that means it is really "coming soon"... I signed up to be notified when it is available.
It is Verizon, but it's WAYYY better than Xfinity. You'll pay for it though.

For what it's worth, my in-laws have Verizon FIOS and I think it's worse than Comcast in terms of TV content and the boxes being slow as shit. As far as internet, it's probably faster. It's probably largely irrelevant that FIOS is faster to you, because almost everyone is probably using it through a 802.11g router which has a max bandwidth of 54mbps. Unless you're using 802.11g or a wired connection FIOS barely does anything to speed you up.

Pepiope

For what it's worth, my in-laws have Verizon FIOS and I think it's worse than Comcast in terms of TV content and the boxes being slow as shit. As far as internet, it's probably faster. It's probably largely irrelevant that FIOS is faster to you, because almost everyone is probably using it through a 802.11g router which has a max bandwidth of 54mbps. Unless you're using 802.11g or a wired connection FIOS barely does anything to speed you up.
They recently came out with a new one that is 802.11ac. I was upgraded to this router:

gateway_router.jpg

As far as content and box issues, maybe it's dependent on area? Xfinity was extremely shitty for me in NE philly, and FIOS has been better across the board.

The Llama

Honestly, I hate Comcast as a company and hate everything about them, but I've never really had any service issues or customer service problems. Maybe I've just been lucky though.
If they cut their prices by like 30% I'd maybe even start to like them.

I feel the same way, out here we switch between FIOS and Xfinity every couple of years or so, I find the Comcast service to be much more stable and reliable, I'm pretty disappointed with Verizon

Deku Tree

Comcast is so horrible. I just want to know what I'm getting and how much I'm paying for it.

Their"customer retention" department will offer you a great deal to keep your business and then their "revenue protection" department reviews your package the next day and raises your prices or cancels your service without telling you.

And then you either call back and start the cycle again or just "deal with it". Ugh.

They recently came out with a new one that is 802.11ac. I was upgraded to this router:

gateway_router.jpg

As far as content and box issues, maybe it's dependent on area? Xfinity was extremely shitty for me in NE philly, and FIOS has been better across the board.

I mean, your router may be 802.11ac, but are any of your devices compatible? My roku certainly is not. My laptop is not. I don't even think PS4 is 802.11ac compatible. I think it's N compatible though.

But yeah, it probably does depend a lot on where you are. I've had comcast for 8 years and never had an outage longer than 24 hours, and a small handful of hardware problems.

Edit: In my case it's irrelevant because wired connection master race (for most of my devices).

Pepiope

I mean, your router may be 802.11ac, but are any of your devices compatible? My roku certainly is not. My laptop is not. I don't even think PS4 is 802.11ac compatible. I think it's N compatible though.

But yeah, it probably does depend a lot on where you are. I've had comcast for 8 years and never had an outage longer than 24 hours, and a small handful of hardware problems.

Edit: In my case it's irrelevant because wired connection master race (for most of my devices).
Yeah, the cellphones we have are all compatible along with the PC. Then my PC is hard-wired.

I guess it's hit or miss. Admittedly, I never gave Xfinity much of a chance in my area. I had everything installed, ran into a bunch of problems with boxes that didn't receive audio, video constantly going out, and internet constantly dropping. I just cancelled the service after a couple weeks and phoned up Verizon.

Yeah, the cellphones we have are all compatible along with the PC. Then my PC is hard-wired.

I guess it's hit or miss. Admittedly, I never gave Xfinity much of a chance in my area. I had everything installed, ran into a bunch of problems with boxes that didn't receive audio, video constantly going out, and internet constantly dropping. I just cancelled the service after a couple weeks and phoned up Verizon.

Haha that's why I did a self install. Sometimes those techs know nothing about setting up the boxes.

Philadelphia from Above

Seriously, they just need to let this guy handle all marketing for tourism generation in Philly. His videos are awesome. No one can look at you and say Philly is an ugly city after seeing these videos. They are flat out liars.

Haha that's why I did a self install. Sometimes those techs know nothing about setting up the boxes.

Philadelphia from Above

Seriously, they just need to let this guy handle all marketing for tourism generation in Philly. His videos are awesome. No one can look at you and say Philly is an ugly city after seeing these videos. They are flat out liars.

holy jesus 4k downscaled to 1080p is fucking gorgeous.

That would make for beautiful art. Like throw a 60 inch 4k screen on a wall and just loop that all day.

esms

Sounds relaxing. I personally can't do drinks early in the week, but this is perfect drinking weather.

my aunt just recently rented her place out for pope weekend. made a killlllllllllllllling

im thinking about doing it like 2 weeks before, see whats out there.

The Llama

my aunt just recently rented her place out for pope weekend. made a killlllllllllllllling

im thinking about doing it like 2 weeks before, see whats out there.

I dunno, I think the "pope rental" market is in a bit of a bubble and if you wait too long you'll get a lot less. But that's just IMO.

The Llama

I wouldn't be opposed to liquor privatization if it was coupled with beer reform as well, but on its own it just seems dumb.

I wouldn't be opposed to liquor privatization if it was coupled with beer reform as well, but on its own it just seems dumb.

I haven't had a chance to read too much about this particular version of the bill, but it doesn't make allowances for beer to be sold everywhere as well as wine/liqour? I thought that too was one of the goals. They need to allow six packs too.

The Llama

I haven't had a chance to read too much about this particular version of the bill, but it doesn't make allowances for beer to be sold everywhere as well as wine/liqour? I thought that too was one of the goals. They need to allow six packs too.

Oh, honestly I haven't been following it too closely, but I thought that they weren't doing anything with beer. I thought the whole thing was basically just to privatize the liquor stores.

Edit:
The liquor privatization plan would allow about 14,000 beer-sales license holders - retailers, restaurants, grocery stores and others - to pay a higher fee for permission to also sell wine, liquor or both. It would also provide a pathway to the closure of the approximately 600 state-controlled wine and liquor stores.

http://www.wtae.com/news/pennsylvania-liquor-privatization-bill-passes-senate-house/33857688

Oh that seems pretty cool. I'd need to read more details but that sounds better than what I had been expecting.

Oh, honestly I haven't been following it too closely, but I thought that they weren't doing anything with beer. I thought the whole thing was basically just to privatize the liquor stores.

There have been a few versions. I think this one lets beer distributors sell wine/liqour, then gives wholesalers the option to buy the licenses and open their own private stores, and then big box stores/supermarkets would be able to buy any leftover licenses. Something along those lines. I imagine it will also allow beer sales to be less restricted as well, unless the republicans completely caved to the beer distributor lobby.

ACE 1991

Anyone play ultimate frisbee in Philly? I recently joined a summer league, it's been a lot of fun so far. PADA (Philadelphia Area Disc Alliance) is a super cool/large organization.

The Llama

There have been a few versions. I think this one lets beer distributors sell wine/liqour, then gives wholesalers the option to buy the licenses and open their own private stores, and then big box stores/supermarkets would be able to buy any leftover licenses. Something along those lines. I imagine it will also allow beer sales to be less restricted as well, unless the republicans completely caved to the beer distributor lobby.

Yeah, seems like that's the case based on the article I quickly read. Sounds good then. I'm guessing the Democrats are against it because of the lost state revenue?

Yeah, seems like that's the case based on the article I quickly read. Sounds good then. I'm guessing the Democrats are against it because of the lost state revenue?

Nah, it's more that there's a union that represents state store employees than the lost revenues (even though it would be lost revenues), I would imagine.

gcubed

Moving was a mistake.

i was banned soon after posting that, so i didn't get a chance to respond. Moving has been great solely because of the job. I can't lie, being two blocks from the ocean, no mosquitos or humidity, is a thing of beauty... but there is something missing that people don't understand about Philly if you didn't live there for a LONG time. It feels like the hidden gems are much easier to find and get around too and people appreciate them way more then anyone here does. Even going back there, it has way more character then anyone ever gives it credit for.

I can ship you a bag of pretzels if you want.

Please god yes. I'll even take ones from the kids selling them at the offramp near the stadiums.

Rainy

Banned
Well moving from California in a month and a question, how safe is SEPTA? Will probably be taking the subway everyday to and from school.

Deku Tree

Well moving from California in a month and a question, how safe is SEPTA? Will probably be taking the subway everyday to and from school.

I feel safe on SEPTA. Some stations are safer than others. Where are you going to be traveling to and from?

Rainy

Banned
I feel safe on SEPTA. Some stations are safer than others. Where are you going to be traveling to and from?
I'm going to Temple Med from around Chestnut. I've kinda planned it ahead of time. So gonna walk to 30th street station, transfer at 15th to BSL at City Hall, then go north to Erie.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm going to Temple Med from around Chestnut. I've kinda planned it ahead of time. So gonna walk to 30th street station, transfer at 15th to BSL at City Hall, then go north to Erie.

The area around the school is fine. Just... don't step too far outside of it lol.

The ride up should be fine, I take the subway all the time and I have no problems.

Deku Tree

That's fine. I take both of those lines frequently and I feel 100% safe. Tons of people get to Temple on the BSL. Yeah if you leave the immediate area around Temple it quickly starts to look like a very poor city neighborhood. You'll get to know Philly more once you move here. Great city. I love it.

Oh, hey Rainy! Glad you made your way to the thread!

The subway lines are generally pretty safe, but you do want to watch out for pickpockets still. Make sure your bags are not unattended, and don't be waving your phone around, especially as the trains pull into stations. I've only heard of maybe five instances of violent crime on the subway that were random in general that I can remember. Some mentally ill guy went to town with a hammer once, that was pretty crazy, but that's not really something you can protect against anywhere. My tiny 5'3" wife took the subway to work every day for years with no problems whatsoever. The worst she has gotten was a few catcalls which stroked her ego more than anything.

Wow, Philly fucked up with the trains and fireworks this year. Also, we were near an area of a shooting that happened 20 minutes after we left. Jesus...

Wow, Philly fucked up with the trains and fireworks this year. Also, we were near an area of a shooting that happened 20 minutes after we left. Jesus...

There were 4 murders over the weekend, sadly. Pretty violent past couple of weeks in the city, as it usually gets in the summer. The tally for the year is 123 homicides so far. 2014 was 117 at this point, and 2013 was 119 at this point in the year.

Admodieus

They strand people every year. It's become a tradition to have people stay over because the last train they needed left before people could get to the station from the fireworks.

Not sure why they don't just run regional rail all night for that one date, it's a rare instance of the prime event (fireworks) happening very late in the evening.

There were 4 murders over the weekend, sadly. Pretty violent past couple of weeks in the city, as it usually gets in the summer. The tally for the year is 123 homicides so far. 2014 was 117 at this point, and 2013 was 119 at this point in the year.

They strand people every year. It's become a tradition to have people stay over because the last train they needed left before people could get to the station from the fireworks.

Not sure why they don't just run regional rail all night for that one date, it's a rare instance of the prime event (fireworks) happening very late in the evening.

Me and my girlfriend stayed around 18th and Ben Franklin till about 11PM for the fireworks, but since they didn't go off, we went to Suburban station early. Found out the train will leave around 11:46 back, so we had a lot of time. So we walked all the way to 15th and JFK and waited around outside for a bit. Apparently 20 minutes after we left for the station, a shooting happened at 16th and Ben Franklin, and he tried to get away to the Suburban Station... so we weren't far off from all that shit.

On the way back, we got delayed at Glenside for like... 30 minutes?

Also, found out the next day, that in the morning (not that night) that the train I took to get to Philly and back hit and killed someone around 11AM Sunday.

Yeah...

Anyone had this yet?

FwM5MYH.jpg

I got one on Friday at the new La Colombe at Independence Mall. It was sooo delicious. It wasn't just the best bottled coffee I have ever had, it was up there as one of the best iced coffees I've ever had.

Top Bottom