• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Deku Tree

Great. Comcast messed up so they offered me a free X1 installation... And then they cancelled the installation without notifying me the day before... So I'm sitting around waiting for an installer who is not coming... And when I call they offer to transfer me to the upgrade service department who can set me up with a X1 installation that is not free... Gotta love comcast!

gcubed

Oh, hey Rainy! Glad you made your way to the thread!

The subway lines are generally pretty safe, but you do want to watch out for pickpockets still. Make sure your bags are not unattended, and don't be waving your phone around, especially as the trains pull into stations. I've only heard of maybe five instances of violent crime on the subway that were random in general that I can remember. Some mentally ill guy went to town with a hammer once, that was pretty crazy, but that's not really something you can protect against anywhere. My tiny 5'3" wife took the subway to work every day for years with no problems whatsoever. The worst she has gotten was a few catcalls which stroked her ego more than anything.

I watched a guy get shot in front of me on the El when I was coming home from a party, but I always took it to 69th St to catch a trolley and it was late. From years of taking that route every day for work and play I never had a problem other than that.

It's much cleaner, easier and more useful than anything in California. It will be a godsend to him

psylah

I swear walking underground is stepping into a minefield of human feces.

You should have seen the pile I saw on the way to work today. Someone did NOT have a good time. It's a nightmare.

Deku Tree

Wow so a friend told me if you live close you can rent one room for $5K during the weekend of the Pope's visit. Totally crazy if true.

Deku Tree

Fellow Philly DestinyGAFers! I actually have the game on both systems but prefer XBone for the controller and that's where my friends are

Hi! I only have a PS4 and a Wii U.

...how close?

I really don't know.... it is just what a friend told me during lunch in a passing conversation. If you decide to check AirBNB and find some more info please post it in here... I am curious but not curious enough to look into it.

Hi Darknyss! Nice! I tell people where I live if they ask. :)
Haha, I've seen a few other people from DGAF load into my Tower so I know they're close too.

Fellow Philly DestinyGAFers! I actually have the game on both systems but prefer XBone for the controller and that's where my friends are
Well, friends are kind of important =P I started playing with some RL friends but they quit. Met a lot of awesome people from DGAF though.

Same here. Never owned a Microsoft console actually.

esms

I really don't know.... it is just what a friend told me during lunch in a passing conversation. If you decide to check AirBNB and find some more info please post it in here... I am curious but not curious enough to look into it.

I'm a 20 min walk north of the art museum. I'm seeing an average of 500 a night. Pretty good.

TheTurboFD

Haha, I've seen a few other people from DGAF load into my Tower so I know they're close too.

Well, friends are kind of important =P I started playing with some RL friends but they quit. Met a lot of awesome people from DGAF though.

More philly destiny players :0

Alucrid

Banned
I swear walking underground is stepping into a minefield of human feces.

You should have seen the pile I saw on the way to work today. Someone did NOT have a good time. It's a nightmare.
I had someone shit on my side door step once in university city. Was not cool.

Admodieus

My PSN handle is in my GAF profile, feel free to add me I'm always up to raid/PoE although my loadout is more limited on PS4. Also looking forward to Rocket League this week

It's just so weird...this is right after he was bragging about destroying mike missanelli in the ratings the other week.

Maybe Bruno got his revenge and is just tired of it. I don't blame him, he's been doing radio for a long ass time. I don't know how much of this supposed rift between Innes and Bruno I buy into, but I do know that I don't think I'll like the show without Bruno on it. Bruno was the only thing bringing the show back down to earth.

Pepiope

Maybe Bruno got his revenge and is just tired of it. I don't blame him, he's been doing radio for a long ass time. I don't know how much of this supposed rift between Innes and Bruno I buy into, but I do know that I don't think I'll like the show without Bruno on it. Bruno was the only thing bringing the show back down to earth.
What's the issue with Innes? I've never had a problem with him as host.

Ron Mexico

I actually like Innes but I thought the Bruno combo was just...off. Mayes and Bruno had chemistry. Bruno and Inner not so much.

Sean Brace and Innes? I'd listen for the train wreck.

More philly destiny players :0

Oh shit, a lot of Philly Destiny players. This won't be good for my diminishing social life. My PSN name is the same as my GAF name if anyone wants to add me.

As for the Pope talk, my roommate and I have definitely been interested in renting our place out for the weekend. A coworker was telling me we could easily make $10k with how close we are to the Art Museum. $10,000! Although I doubt it's legal since we're only renting the place... but either way I plan on abandoning the city for his holy visit.

chualie

Anyone in PhillyGAF going to the US Women's Open Golf Championship at Lancaster Country Club?

Got a few tickets but plans changed so can no longer go and now need to sell these tickets cause tickets are final sale :(

PM if any of yall are interested.

So my work start day got pushed back a week which sucks but it does give me some time to explore the city. So far I went to Geno's
7/10
and just cruised around some neighborhoods around UPenn/Drexel. I have no idea what to do with myself now.

Never been to NYC so I might check that place out.

As for the Pope talk, my roommate and I have definitely been interested in renting our place out for the weekend. A coworker was telling me we could easily make $10k with how close we are to the Art Museum. $10,000! Although I doubt it's legal since we're only renting the place... but either way I plan on abandoning the city for his holy visit.
Just heard a story on WHYY about this, apparently those crazy numbers aren't really happening, at least as much as we were led to believe. They compared it to Obama's first inauguration in DC, lots of hype but the big payouts never really materialized

The Llama

So my work start day got pushed back a week which sucks but it does give me some time to explore the city. So far I went to Geno's
7/10
and just cruised around some neighborhoods around UPenn/Drexel. I have no idea what to do with myself now.

Geno's >>>> Pat's so good choice if you were checking out either of them.
Steve's is the best, suck it haters.

NYC is fun, I'd definitely go if you've never been. You can take the train up easily, either SETPA+NJ Transit or just pay like ~$60 and take Amtrak straight from 30th street.

esms

7/10

NYC is fun, I'd definitely go if you've never been. You can take the train up easily, either SETPA+NJ Transit or just pay like ~$60 and take Amtrak straight from 30th street.

Jim's is better by several nautical miles.

Subbed. Thanks OP. I'm in the 'burbs but would come on the city for a GAF meetup if anyone was interested.

We got a shitload of people in the area. If a bunch of people are truly interested, I can see if I could set up a sips meetup or something.

The Llama

We got a shitload of people in the area. If a bunch of people are truly interested, I can see if I could set up a sips meetup or something.

Pretty sure we already had a cheesesteak debate earlier in the thread (Dalessandro's won IIRC) but I've never been super impressed by Jim's. I like it, but it's not really any better than Geno's IMO. The upstairs seating area is cool though.

esms

Pretty sure we already had a cheesesteak debate earlier in the thread (Dalessandro's won IIRC) but I've never been super impressed by Jim's. I like it, but it's not really any better than Geno's IMO. The upstairs seating area is cool though.

You reminded me, now that my GF has moved in and has a car, I need to get out there and check that place out.

Just heard a story on WHYY about this, apparently those crazy numbers aren't really happening, at least as much as we were led to believe. They compared it to Obama's first inauguration in DC, lots of hype but the big payouts never really materialized

Ah lame, though I guess it's ok. It makes it easier for me to not break the terms of my lease haha. Still with the sheer number of people supposedly coming to the city I still should probably take a mini vacation in the burbs.

best gelatto on the east coast i ever had was some local chain in philly. I wished i had some now

Almost definitely Capogiro.

Nomad Pizza
Santucci Pizza
Pizzeria Stella
Francoluigi's Pizzeria
Pizzeria Vetri

What do all of these Pizzeria's have in common? They make Lorenzo and Sons Pizza seem like Pizza Hut IMO.

Yes I like good pizza.

Had Bufad? They aren't too bad either. Bon Appetit just named Pizzeria Beddia best pizza in the USA but I've never had it.

Deku Tree

Had Bufad? They aren't too bad either. Bon Appetit just named Pizzeria Beddia best pizza in the USA but I've never had it.

Nope I haven't tried either of those... nor did I know about them...

Regarding Beddia:

" WE DON’T HAVE A PHONE AND ONLY TAKE ORDERS IN PERSON, WE HAVE A MAXIMUM ORDER OF TWO PIZZAS PER PARTY, NOT PER PERSON, WE ARE CASH ONLY AND DO NOT HAVE A PUBLIC RESTROOM, PEOPLE HAVE STARTED LINING UP AS EARLY AS 3:45 FOR PIZZA, THERE ARE ONLY 40 PIZZAS A NIGHT SO IF THERE ARE MORE THAN 25 TO 30 PEOPLE IN LINE WE ARE LIKELY SOLD OUT"

Wow sounds popular not surprising after the Bon Appetit rating... hopefully this dies down at some point... my wife just told me she want's to go there next Wed.

And Bufad Pizza sounds good too although it is a bit far from my nbhd... I should try that one sometime too.

Pepiope

7/10

No no no no no.

It's actually
John's Roast Pork

chualie

Steve's is my go-to.

Had Dalessandro's and was underwhelmed. Maybe it was a bad day but Steve's is always consistent for me.

It really depends if you like your cheesesteak meat chopped up or in slabs. I prefer slabs.

Pepiope

Steve's is my go-to.

Had Dalessandro's and was underwhelmed. Maybe it was a bad day but Steve's is always consistent for me.

It really depends if you like your cheesesteak meat chopped up or in slabs. I prefer slabs.
I'm not sure if there is a 2nd Dalessandro's, but the one I went to didn't even sell fries. That's an automatic disqualification.

Deku Tree

Playboy Magazine recently ran an article on the best 17 Cheese Steak places in Philly:

This was their top pick.

1. MAX’S STEAKS
At the bustling intersection of Germantown Avenue, Erie Avenue and Broad Street in North Philadelphia, Max’s may not be as well known as other Philadelphia cheesesteak joints. But it’s the best. The steaks—which come on enormous, 18-inch rolls—seem to embody what a Philadelphia cheesesteak should be. It’s also the type of place where, while waiting in line, you can buy a pair of fake Oakleys and a copy of Furious 7. After you get your steak, stop at the Clock Bar—an old-school dive bar attached to Max’s—for cheap drinks in a great atmosphere. Max’s has the whole cheesesteak game on lock.

Everyone long time Philly native that I spoke with was like "never heard of that place" lol.

Steve's was 2 and Jim's was 3. And Mike's food cart was 4.

I really wonder what criteria they used to pick these places. They probably just consulted some of their friends.

The Llama

It's okay. I think it's overrated. Everyone around me loves the place so maybe I'm just not a gelato guy :T

It always tastes kind of salty to me, which I hate.

Playboy Magazine recently ran an article on the best 17 Cheese Steak places in Philly:

This was their top pick.

Everyone long time Philly native that I spoke with was like "never heard of that place" lol.

Steve's was 2 and Jim's was 3. And Mike's food cart was 4.

I really wonder what criteria they used to pick these places. They probably just consulted some of their friends.

I wouldn't know it by the name but I've driven by that place a million times, never thought to go (also never thought it was any good haha).

Top Bottom