• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

chualie

I'm not sure if there is a 2nd Dalessandro's, but the one I went to didn't even sell fries. That's an automatic disqualification.

Chubby's across the street doesn't have fries either haha. Ishkabibbles on South St. has decent fries for a cheesesteak place.

Playboy Magazine recently ran an article on the best 17 Cheese Steak places in Philly:

This was their top pick.

Everyone long time Philly native that I spoke with was like "never heard of that place" lol.

Steve's was 2 and Jim's was 3. And Mike's food cart was 4.

I really wonder what criteria they used to pick these places. They probably just consulted some of their friends.

Max's is okay. Went there once cause it was near my school.

It always tastes kind of salty to me, which I hate.

It's okay. Rather have me some Rita's :)

Pepiope

Chubby's across the street doesn't have fries either haha. Ishkabibbles on South St. has decent fries for a cheesesteak place.
Joe's Steaks (chinks) has some amazing cheese fries and a pretty good steak. I have yet to try a milkshake from there. I need to go back...

Deku Tree

A verizon truck has been sitting running on my block all day long. And they are installing a new box on the pole and they are putting up all these new cables that are labeled "fiber"... am I getting FIOS?

esms

A verizon truck has been sitting running on my block all day long. And they are installing a new box on the pole and they are putting up all these new cables that are labeled "fiber"... am I getting FIOS?

Anecdotal, but I've heard Verizon has worse service than Comcast in the city.

meow

Just saw this thread, unfortunately I'll be moving out of Philly this month after having lived here for almost 3 years. It's a good city, I'll always be fond of it. Though I'll still have friends here so I'll probably visit!

Bon Appetit just named Pizzeria Beddia best pizza in the USA but I've never had it.
I've tried this place maybe 2 years ago or so...don't get me wrong, it's very good, not sure if it's worth the current trouble though. Happy hour at Nomad Pizza is the way to go, $5-7 for a personal pizza is amazing.

vypek

Possibly. This is pretty much what happened one day when FiOS came to my area. Originally when I called after hearing about it, it wasn't available. But I was walking in the neighborhood one day and noticed two trucks around the area and it turns out they were setting up for FiOS.

Joe's Steaks (chinks) has some amazing cheese fries and a pretty good steak. I have yet to try a milkshake from there. I need to go back...
I never got to try chinks but my dad would always talk about how great it was. Steve's always was my favorite cheesesteak place.

enemyairship

Neo Member
I'm stuck underground waiting for the storm to abate. I knew they were canceling things due to the storm but I didn't know it would be this crazy.

Security question for PhillyGAF! I just got a job in Plymouth Meeting so I'll be living in the Philly area. I've been apartment hunting and I found one I like in west Mt. Airy kind of near Allen Lane station. The only thing is it's on the ground floor, underground really, with windows at knee height from outside. I've never lived on a bottom floor before. Do I need to get bars put on the windows? My neighbors have them but it seems like an OK neighborhood to me.

Edit: Never mind, found a different place.

Check out these videos of Walnut - Locust subway station last night during that insane storm. I don't know what was happening here. This is two levels underground.

waterfalls.

underground.

Wow. That is ridiculous. I was in Franklin Mortgage so I didn't even see the rain.

Philadelphia to become UNESCO World Heritage City

It will be the first US city to be given the designation. Pretty big deal all things considered. I think it will probably give the city a tourism bump as the World Heritage Sites/Cities list is pretty well respected among travelers.

Has anyone ever made it to a Night Market?
http://thefoodtrust.org/night-market/what-is-night-market-philadelphia

We've always wanted to go, just haven't been able to make it happen.

I've gone to a bunch of em. Imagine a massive amount of food trucks just taking over a city block. Sometimes there's music, sometimes there's other shit, but they're the draw. And they're goooood.

Also if I don't see you all at Bastille Day tomorrow at the Eastern State Penitentiary, I'm going to assume you're a traitor to the French cause!

Pepiope

Has anyone else been following this Waldron Mercy story with the gay teacher? I've found the responses interesting, mostly from the parent side.
Haven't heard about this story at all. Sadly, this just goes to show that equality for homosexuals is still a battle to be fought and does not end at gay marriage. Legally, they were allowed to fire her.

Deku Tree

Haven't heard about this story at all. Sadly, this just goes to show that equality for homosexuals is still a battle to be fought and does not end at gay marriage. Legally, they were allowed to fire her.

Sad that she worked there for years and her bosses "knew" but only when a parent found out was she fired. Awful.

Rainy

Banned
Moving into an apartment in the Rittenhouse area and my apartment is wired for both Verizon and Comcast. I saw someone earlier say they heard Comcast was better in the city, any other opinions?

Deku Tree

Moving into an apartment in the Rittenhouse area and my apartment is wired for both Verizon and Comcast. I saw someone earlier say they heard Comcast was better in the city, any other opinions?

If I were you I'd call both and compare services and prices.

FIOS has the reputation for faster and more reliable internet. Comcast has the X1 box if you want to pay for it or its included in your package then it's nice. FIOS also says they are offering more alacart pricing rather than forcing you to buy a huge bundle of channels but I haven't personally investigated it.

The good thing is you can call both and try to get a lower price from the service you want by telling them about the other one. Also if you don't take a long term agreement then you can switch at any time.

You can also avoid install charges by picking up and setting up yourself. The Comcast store on Columbus BLVD where you pick up used to be horrible but it was recently remodeled and it's now nice inside and fast and easy to walk in and out.

It looks like FIOS is coming to my block soon and I am probably going to switch if I can get faster internet and a reduced monthly bill. But I have not heard anyone say anything good or bad about their service in the city.

Rainy

Banned
If I were you I'd call both and compare services and prices.

FIOS has the reputation for faster and more reliable internet. Comcast has the X1 box if you want to pay for it or its included in your package then it's nice. FIOS also says they are offering more alacart pricing rather than forcing you to buy a huge bundle of channels but I haven't personally investigated it.

The good thing is you can call both and try to get a lower price from the service you want by telling them about the other one. Also if you don't take a long term agreement then you can switch at any time.

You can also avoid install charges by picking up and setting up yourself. The Comcast store on Columbus BLVD where you pick up used to be horrible but it was recently remodeled and it's now nice inside and fast and easy to walk in and out.

It looks like FIOS is coming to my block soon and I am probably going to switch if I can get faster internet and a reduced monthly bill. But I have not heard anyone say anything good or bad about their service in the city.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to call both places soon. The X1 box is for TV correct? My apartment actually has paid cable (from DISH Network I think?) so I just need internet for now.

Deku Tree

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to call both places soon. The X1 box is for TV correct? My apartment actually has paid cable (from DISH Network I think?) so I just need internet for now.

Yeah X1 is a fancy cable TV box. Ask people in your building if you can. If I was just looking for internet I would probably go with FIOS. But I can't say I've used their service in the city. And definitely call both.

Pepiope

Just need internet? FIOS is the correct choice for you then.

Just need internet? FIOS is the correct choice for you then.

Depends if he needs the upload speeds or not. As I recall the download speeds may be the same in Philly, but you'd definitely have to check. Edit: it's $45/mo for 25Mbps down or $55/mo for 105Mbps down for Xfinity. Fios costs $45/mo for 25Mbps down and you only get 50Mbps down for $55/mo. Xfinity is the same price and much faster if you upgrade.

Anyway...

More 4k Philly rooftop footage

and

Race Street Pier

Rainy

Banned
I can get 25 down at Comcast for 39.99, no router fee or contract. Unfortunately for Fios my roommate and I need to pay a 9.99 router fee in addition to the 39.99 plus enter a contract. Just because I need all the money I can get I might go with Comcast but I'll do a bit more research.

Deku Tree

I can get 25 down at Comcast for 39.99, no router fee or contract. Unfortunately for Fios my roommate and I need to pay a 9.99 router fee in addition to the 39.99 plus enter a contract. Just because I need all the money I can get I might go with Comcast but I'll do a bit more research.

I have 28 down and 5 up with Comcast in the city. It feels fast and doesn't slow down very frequently.

Blues1990

The only things that I know about Philadelphia, is that it was founded in 1682, has one of the largest Italian populations in the United States, & is the setting for the Rocky movies.

With that said, I do plan on visiting the city one day.

StevieWhite

My dad has worked a block from Eastern State Penitentiary for 25 years, so can I be considered an honorary Fairmountian? Haha.

Yes, that definitely counts. That's the radius where I live too. One of the best places in the city for restaurant selection. Fun fact: St. Stephens Green (at like 17th and Green) has a ribeye cheesesteak that is the secret best sandwich in the city. If anyone is in the neighborhood, I suggest they give it a try (though they do seem to take it on and off the menu at weirdly random intervals).

StevieWhite

I have 28 down and 5 up with Comcast in the city. It feels fast and doesn't slow down very frequently.

Is that over wifi? I get similar numbers over wifi with Comcast, but (as you'd expect) the speed jumps up ridiculously when hard wired (like up to 100 at times).

Deku Tree

Is that over wifi? I get similar numbers over wifi with Comcast, but (as you'd expect) the speed jumps up ridiculously when hard wired (like up to 100 at times).

Yeah that's over wifi. That's also the speed that I pay for and I've never noticed a huge speed jump like you but I don't run speed tests too frequently either.

StevieWhite

Yeah that's over wifi. That's also the speed that I pay for and I've never noticed a huge speed jump like you but I don't run speed tests too frequently either.

I used to get faster speeds on wifi, then they built some condos/apartments next door. The influx of routers to the neighborhood really raised the wireless interference levels. Guess it's just something you have to deal with when you live in a major city. Oh well.

I'm generally happy with the service I get from Comcast, but I wish they had some kind of alternate path on their customer service lines that doesn't start with "is your modem on."

Deku Tree

I used to get faster speeds on wifi, then they built some condos/apartments next door. The influx of routers to the neighborhood really raised the wireless interference levels. Guess it's just something you have to deal with when you live in a major city. Oh well.

I'm generally happy with the service I get from Comcast, but I wish they had some kind of alternate path on their customer service lines that doesn't start with "is your modem on."

Oh yeah I get a huge amount of wifi interference lol. Because of all the wifi routers around I need to have three wifi routers connected to each other in my house and even with that I have very good but not perfect coverage. Insane number of wifi networks nearby. I got friends in the burbs with much bigger places and only one router lol.

StevieWhite

Oh yeah I get a huge amount of wifi interference lol. Because of all the wifi routers around I need to have three wifi routers connected to each other in my house and even with that I have very good but not perfect coverage. Insane number of wifi networks nearby. I got friends in the burbs with much bigger places and only one router lol.

I feel your pain. I have a repeater and a powerline adapter. Still doesn't quite do it.

Deku Tree

One nice thing I like about Comcast is all of the WiFi hotspots they've installed throughout the area, at least in the suburbs

Yeah if you can remember your comcast password then there are a ton of hotspots even in the city.

Lol if you rent a wifi router from Comcast it most likely doubles as a second public hotspot that doesn't reduce your bandwidth. These are also all over the city.

You can even get open wifi from other providers that cooperate with Comcast in other parts of the country.

They even have an app to help you find them.

Deku Tree

Verizon FIOS Worker who installs fibre cables on telephone poles and things like that told a friend of mine that a big part of south philly is getting FIOS in the next month or so.

Chuckpebble

My wife wants to go to Spruce Street Harbor Park. Is that a good way to spend the whole night, or should I plan to find something else to do too.

Deku Tree

My wife wants to go to Spruce Street Harbor Park. Is that a good way to spend the whole night, or should I plan to find something else to do too.

If you like to hang out and drink and eat in a chill atmosphere then sure... it is fun but it can get old after a while otherwise... might want to have backup activities planned just in case.

Bounce over to Summerfest a few blocks over and go roller skating (or do some other activities), if you get tired of Harbor Park. You could make a night of it at the waterfront, definitely.

Top Bottom