• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

bluehat9

Anyone go to the Wilco concert last night? Crowd around me was nice and laid back and the band was awesome. Set and two encores had them playing for two and half hours. It was great.

I'd never been to the Mann before, but it was a cool venue (beats out whatever the one in Camden is called now). Definitely need to check out more shows there, just have to find the right way to get there because we got lost and ended up taking a long way, lol. And I'm curious to see what the balcony seats look like.

Anyone go to the Wilco concert last night? Crowd around me was nice and laid back and the band was awesome. Set and two encores had them playing for two and half hours. It was great.

I'd never been to the Mann before, but it was a cool venue (beats out whatever the one in Camden is called now). Definitely need to check out more shows there, just have to find the right way to get there because we got lost and ended up taking a long way, lol. And I'm curious to see what the balcony seats look like.
Back when I was lucky enough to live near Philly I would go and see the machine every year at the Mann. If was a really good time.

Yeah The Mann is great, saw Matis Yahu there

andthebeatgoeson

Had federal donuts today.

Went to ashton on Friday night. The renovation was for the worst. It's lost its character. I liked it when it looked like a nice older home. It's jarring, to me.

Went to 1 tippling (a great tequila drink and i finally found a good gin: harold?), serafina (good food) and Good Dog Bar. Had a lamb blt. Monks was too crowded for us to wait, hungry.

And drank my way to 6 extra pounds. But damn it was good to be back in Philly.

I got from Tokyo to JFK with no problems

But the one hour goddamn flight from JFK to Philly? Cancelled because ya'll are bitches about rain

and yet BEYONCE IS STILL KILLIN IT

Had federal donuts today.

Went to ashton on Friday night. The renovation was for the worst. It's lost its character. I liked it when it looked like a nice older home. It's jarring, to me.

Went to 1 tippling (a great tequila drink and i finally found a good gin: harold?), serafina (good food) and Good Dog Bar. Had a lamb blt. Monks was too crowded for us to wait, hungry.

And drank my way to 6 extra pounds. But damn it was good to be back in Philly.

Ashton is still the only show in town for cigars, and their whiskey selection is good. There needs to be more options in this realm though.

I like 1 Tippling actually. It's always slower than Franklin Mortgage and the like. I actually love The Library Bar in the Rittenhouse Hotel for cocktails these days. The gin you had was probably Hendricks? Monks is always too crowded, you're better off going to Belgian Cafe at 21st and Green. Same owner and mostly same menu, just a slightly paired back beer selection, but the place is always empty.

Anyway, glad to hear you had fun.

I got from Tokyo to JFK with no problems

But the one hour goddamn flight from JFK to Philly? Cancelled because ya'll are bitches about rain

and yet BEYONCE IS STILL KILLIN IT

Dude, that storm was the biggest let down of all time. They were predicting calamity and it was like 5 minutes of hard rain max. Not even any thunder.

Deku Tree

Shoulda flown into Newark. Then you coulda taken the train. They can usually give your your bags and make your recheck them when getting off international right?

Yeah I'd rather die than try to navigate all that shit with like 100lbs of checked bags with expensive shit in em

I'll just hold the L

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Ashton is still the only show in town for cigars, and their whiskey selection is good. There needs to be more options in this realm though.

I like 1 Tippling actually. It's always slower than Franklin Mortgage and the like. I actually love The Library Bar in the Rittenhouse Hotel for cocktails these days. The gin you had was probably Hendricks? Monks is always too crowded, you're better off going to Belgian Cafe at 21st and Green. Same owner and mostly same menu, just a slightly paired back beer selection, but the place is always empty.

Dude, that storm was the biggest let down of all time. They were predicting calamity and it was like 5 minutes of hard rain max. Not even any thunder.

I go to Harry'a Smoke Shop on 3rd and Market. Feels old school like people in there are still making Mob deals with handshakes.

I go to Harry'a Smoke Shop on 3rd and Market. Feels old school like people in there are still making Mob deals with handshakes.

I haven't been there. I'll have to check it out.

A buddy of mine told me about this place called Capelli Brothers that I've been meaning to try. Apparently they have a BYOB cigar lounge. They sell cigars, and you can bring your own bottle of booze, but they have a corkage fee. I forget how much he said the corkage fee was, but if it's reasonable it might be worth it. I hear it's a little bit of a bro atmosphere, which could be negative.

I doubt it's worse than other cities. It happens everywhere, Philly just has a reputation and the media likes to focus in on it and perpetuate it because it sells.

I doubt it's worse than other cities. It happens everywhere, Philly just has a reputation and the media likes to focus in on it and perpetuate it because it sells.
Absolutely true. Ny has had much worse incidents, same with la and sf bit the media almost never brings those up. The Philly narrative is already set so everything just feeds into that no matter what.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm mystified at Philly sports fans and their desire to throw shit at people.

I'm more mystified why Giants and Dodgers fans nearly KILL each other.

Or why there's soccer riots, where refs and fans have actually died.

Absolutely true. Ny has had much worse incidents, same with la and sf bit the media almost never brings those up. The Philly narrative is already set so everything just feeds into that no matter what.

Giants/Chargers at old Meadowlands, a Chargers staff member (I think he was equipment manager) was hit in the head with an ice ball and was knocked unconscious.

esms

I'm more mystified why Giants and Dodgers fans nearly KILL each other.

Or why there's soccer riots, where refs and fans have actually died.

Not trying to start a competition, nor am I invested in any way. The fixation on throwing stuff (batteries, wrist bands, beer) is uncanny.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Not trying to start a competition, nor am I invested in any way. The fixation on throwing stuff (batteries, wrist bands, beer) is uncanny.

I'm just saying there's been examples of other fans of other teams being far more unruly than someone in Philadelphia throwing something.

I mean, does the throwing thing happen more often than not here? Sure. But from my recollection, no one has been hurt. (Unlike my examples above)

andthebeatgoeson

Yes, Hendricks. Was connecting it to Jimmy.

Thanks. Franklin mortgage had a millennial bouncer. Small guy in slacks. Didn't like the way he judged me. *Put my 'because i was black' hat on* I was slightly worried he would refuse to let me in thru our whole conversation. Just me with dark jeans on, nice black shoes and a button up shirt on. Or it may be my paranoia. But it wasn't an inviting conversation. Eh. #blackguyproblems

Drunk yahoos who are heavily invested in a team who want to make GM decisions.

Moving away from the city and watching all 4 teams go thru a rebuilding helps me with perspective. I was only a vocal, loud, belligerent fan but i can see the path where you think you want to voice your opinions in other ways. It's completely stupid to throw stuff. Should not do that. But Philly and the teams foster a certain fan. I can only speak on Philly. I'm sure, money wise, every professional team that wants a city to pay millions for their stadium, also want to encourage that rowdy behavior.

Yes, Hendricks. Was connecting it to Jimmy.

Thanks. Franklin mortgage had a millennial bouncer. Small guy in slacks. Didn't like the way he judged me. *Put my 'because i was black' hat on* I was slightly worried he would refuse to let me in thru our whole conversation. Just me with dark jeans on, nice black shoes and a button up shirt on. Or it may be my paranoia. But it wasn't an inviting conversation. Eh. #blackguyproblems

I don't have your perspective obviously, but I've never seen the guys there hassle anyone. Did you actually go in? The upstairs bar is so much better than the downstairs bar there these days.

andthebeatgoeson

I don't have your perspective obviously, but I've never seen the guys there hassle anyone. Did you actually go in? The upstairs bar is so much better than the downstairs bar there these days.

Naw, didn't go in. Friends started at 1 tippling. I'm probably paranoid but you do start evaluating body language and facial animations as a black guy. Usually, early evening on a Friday, the bouncer is inviting. They want to sell you now to drive business. Now, if it's 11 pm and a line is around the corner, you get no love.

But again, I do admit my paranoia. But thank you for acknowledging the perspective. It's weird; could be something or absolutely nothing. You become a facial animator detective; 'I see jaggies along his eye brows, something's amiss.' He might have needed to take a dump, I don't know.

Naw, didn't go in. Friends started at 1 tippling. I'm probably paranoid but you do start evaluating body language and facial animations as a black guy. Usually, early evening on a Friday, the bouncer is inviting. They want to sell you now to drive business. Now, if it's 11 pm and a line is around the corner, you get no love.

But again, I do admit my paranoia. But thank you for acknowledging the perspective. It's weird; could be something or absolutely nothing. You become a facial animator detective; 'I see jaggies along his eye brows, something's amiss.' He might have needed to take a dump, I don't know.

The paranoia is legitimate but I think Philly may be a bit better about it than other cities, but again I can't speak because I don't experience it. For a place like Franklin Mortgage the dude may be just more surprised because I don't think they get a lot of black patrons. In my experience it doesn't seem like cocktail bars get patronized by black people often. I always figured it was because black people hated the phony white dude clientele, but now that I think about it from you perspective it could also be because they get hassled at the places by scummy bouncers.

I actually get really bummed out when new businesses open up and I don't see the old residents of neighborhoods embrace them. That's why places like say Heritage in No Libs or South in Spring Garden get a thumbs up from me. They are jazz places, so maybe it's a bit more stereotypical, but I really get happy seeing everyone in the community enjoying the spots rather than just yuppies and hipsters. I feel like a lot of places just don't even bother feeling the community out and seeing what they can do to draw in existing/old residents with the new ones.

I remember a few weeks back the bar Clarkville got tagged with anti-gentrification graffiti. I remember the owners saying something like "I wish they knew what we were about" or "they just don't get it" and "I'm not Stephen Starr, I have to work every day." I mean, yeah, you may really want to engage the neighborhood, but if they are not getting it it's probably your fault before it's theirs. If you're serving shit like "chicory salad" and "heirloom tomato pizza" in a neighborhood that gentrified and the old residents have to work two hours to afford your damn tiny pizza I don't think they are entirely wrong for being upset sometimes. It's a two way street.

I'm a big proponent of gentrification but I acknowledge there are better ways to go about it. I think Penny Giles in Francisville does a good job of balancing the concerns of all of the groups. It's funny, because I have heard both sides in Francisville say "she only cares about them". If both sides say you only care about the other side it's a good sign you are actually working hard to do best by both sides. Maybe some of these places should do things like work with the CDC to start job training programs for wait staff at restaurants to get some of the teens in those neighborhoods involved instead of just putting up a flyer in Northern Liberties and getting some english degree to wait the tables.

1.5 cents an ounce soda tax passes in city council.

I know it's not the most popular thing in here but I'm happy with this.

It's a disgrace.

A) The money is no longer going directly to pre-K or parks. It's going to the City Fund, because it's underfunded. The money may never actually go to pre-K or parks.

B) They expanded the tax to cover diet beverages. All arguments about it being about encouraging healthier options are now moot, because it's clearly not about health anymore. It's just a new tax so council has more money to throw around and waste.

So we ended up with a 1.5 cent tax on beverages. It's is by its nature highly regressive, and Mayor Kenney himself said that businesses should increase prices all around to come up with the tax money rather than increasing prices on soda alone if it was going to negatively impact their business too much. The Mayor himself said that. That's essentially encouraging people to raise the cost of all goods. The worst part of all of this is that this regressive tax, which you can no longer even claim is about making people healthy, is not even going to fund a program which the very people who are paying it will need most. Regressive tax with no benefit to lower income people. It's total shit, and par for the course for Kenney and City Council.

It's a disgrace.

A) The money is no longer going directly to pre-K or parks. It's going to the City Fund, because it's underfunded. The money may never actually go to pre-K or parks.

B) They expanded the tax to cover diet beverages. All arguments about it being about encouraging healthier options are now moot, because it's clearly not about health anymore. It's just a new tax so council has more money to throw around and waste.

So we ended up with a 1.5 cent tax on beverages. It's is by its nature highly regressive, and Mayor Kenney himself said that businesses should increase prices all around to come up with the tax money rather than increasing prices on soda alone if it was going to negatively impact their business too much. The Mayor himself said that. That's essentially encouraging people to raise the cost of all goods. The worst part of all of this is that this regressive tax, which you can no longer even claim is about making people healthy, is not even going to fund a program which the very people who are paying it will need most. Regressive tax with no benefit to lower income people. It's total shit, and par for the course for Kenney and City Council.

But but think of the children lol. Those ads were so fucking laughable like we couldn't see right through it.

Ryuukan

obviously this new tax revenue will be going to an even more powerful labor union for this to have passed

oh well, enjoy stocking up on soda when you drive into NJ for cheaper alcohol

gcubed

I've yet to see much cheaper alcohol in NJ or DE in most of my life here, better selection absolutely. This doesn't excuse what I think is draconian and dumb with the lcb. I'm a half liberal and I think the entire lcb, state stores, etc is the dumbest shit around. The wine in grocery stores is the shittiest half measure that shouldn't even be remotely celebrated. Four. Fucking. Bottles. Go away. Only bright spot is I may not have to drive to my friends place in MD to get my wine shipments

Soda tax. I don't live in the city nor do I drink soda so I don't care but to sell that as revenue creating is dumb. If it's a behavior modification tax it can't be revenue creating besides the first year or two. Other places this went into effect it had a sharp drop in soda consumption, thus negating revenue generation. It's more bullshit, just call it what it is.

I've yet to see much cheaper alcohol in NJ or DE in most of my life here, better selection absolutely. This doesn't excuse what I think is draconian and dumb with the lcb. I'm a half liberal and I think the entire lcb, state stores, etc is the dumbest shit around. The wine in grocery stores is the shittiest half measure that shouldn't even be remotely celebrated. Four. Fucking. Bottles. Go away. Only bright spot is I may not have to drive to my friends place in MD to get my wine shipments

Soda tax. I don't live in the city nor do I drink soda so I don't care but to sell that as revenue creating is dumb. If it's a behavior modification tax it can't be revenue creating besides the first year or two. Other places this went into effect it had a sharp drop in soda consumption, thus negating revenue generation. It's more bullshit, just call it what it is.

It really does depend. Wine selections are better in other states generally, but the bigger deal is the shipping from out of state. A lot of "obscure" items are easier to find in PA. For example, I went to every liqour store in Cherry Hill looking for Emilio Lustau Sherry. Total Wine carries one or two types. The rest only carry extremely cheap Taylor Fladgate and maybe an Osborne cream sherry. Cheap sherry is like drinking sugar syrup, it's awful. The PLCB carries 10 different varieties of Emilio Lustau in store, and has 3 on Special Order. The PLCB also gets all of the rarest whiskies, the big problem is they get such tiny quantities of them. Wouldn't be as much of a problem if I could order from out of state and get it shipped to me.

The big advantage is that the Chairman's Selection and Chairman's Advantage programs for wine are actually really good. Almost always decent quality bottles at vastly lower prices than I've seen out of state. Other wines tend to be a bit more expensive, but if you're looking for deals you can't beat these programs.

Since I sort of know the ins and outs of the PLCB it would probably actually be disadvantageous for me if things were privatized. Despite that I'm still not against it. In fact, I am going to go out on a limb and say that for anyone who is really into drinking for the quality of the beverages and not just to get drunk it's probably going to be a net loss. The premium collection stores honestly do have some of the best wine and spirits collections I've seen, but more importantly the website let's you track down bottles or even get them shipped in an extremely easy manner. Thing is, the vast majority of people aren't going out to spend $35 on a bottle of sherry or $20 on a bottle of wine. They're spending $7 for a bottle of chardonnay.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's a disgrace.

LOL

Kenney is an idiot.

Instead of fucking over the taxpayers, why don't they do something about the pensions that FORMER city employees are getting. IE Nutter, Lynn Abraham . ~140k for doing NOTHING.

That would help instead of this dumbass tax.

I stopped drinking anything other than unsweetened iced tea and water, with an occasional soda every once in a while. But the tax is going to effect far more people and going to hurt businesses in the long run. No one is going to pay nearly 2-3 dollars for a 20oz bottle of whatever soda.

Apparently in the accepted version of the bill the breakdown will go as follows:

FY17 – $30 million will go toward the mayor’s initiatives including pre-K, community schools and rebuilding parks and recreation centers. No money will go toward the fund balance.

FY18 – $41 million to the mayor’s initiatives, $30 million to the fund balance.

FY19 – $61 million to the mayor’s initiatives, $10 million to the fund balance.

FY20 – $73 million to the mayor’s initiatives, $1 million to the fund balance.

FY21 – $81 million to the mayor’s initiatives, no money to the fund balance

So it's better than I thought. But remember, all of these are projected revenues, who knows what will actually be realized.

andthebeatgoeson

Any initative in Philly about drinks can kick rocks until they legalize same alcohol relationships. Fucking no beer-wine sex in 2016? Fuck out of here.

There is no data that says you can't drink beer and wine together. I mix alcohol all the time and some of my best friends do, as well. Some of my best relationships started with red wine and white wine. Who doesn't like a bland as white wine? Reisling? Gewurztraminer? They are from Germany and totally hot. If you are not willing to dip your tongue in a hot German wine, I don't really want to hang out with you. It's bullshit.

Any initative in Philly about drinks can kick rocks until they legalize same alcohol relationships. Fucking no beer-wine sex in 2016? Fuck out of here.

There is no data that says you can't drink beer and wine together. I mix alcohol all the time and some of my best friends do, as well. Some of my best relationships started with red wine and white wine. Who doesn't like a bland as white wine? Reisling? Gewurztraminer? They are from Germany and totally hot. If you are not willing to dip your tongue in a hot German wine, I don't really want to hang out with you. It's bullshit.

Mixed relationships are the best relationships. Who hasn't wanted to follow up that rich malty stout with a crisp, palate cleansing sauvignon blanc?

gcubed

Apparently in the accepted version of the bill the breakdown will go as follows:

So it's better than I thought. But remember, all of these are projected revenues, who knows what will actually be realized.

but again, its bullshit, because a tax for behavior modification isn't going to continue giving you steady income, its going to decrease every year.

with your previous post, they do get some good rare whiskeys, which is what I drink a lot of , but they are so hard to find that its easier for me to stop on the way home from work in NJ and grab the bottle from

but again, its bullshit, because a tax for behavior modification isn't going to continue giving you steady income, its going to decrease every year.

with your previous post, they do get some good rare whiskeys, which is what I drink a lot of , but they are so hard to find that its easier for me to stop on the way home from work in NJ and grab the bottle from

The website is your friend in that regard. You can search by product and then find which store has it. If they carry a product it's usually in at least one store in Philly.

Top Bottom