• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

MrBadger

Entering the trial and I'm actually finding case 2 to be super charming.
Doesn't take a genius to figure out who the villains are, but I like what they're going for. Very reminiscent of Redd White, with more of a "saturday morning villain" angle. I enjoy how casually they're bringing up events from Apollo Justice considering Dual Destinies sidestepped all of that game's events.

Holy shit Payne jumped the moral event horizon something fierce in this game lol

I know, right? He straight up
tricked Phoenix into getting himself executed.

Also I'm probably going to groan outloud but I missed Sitar Jesus's pun name. Anyone mind explaining it?

MegaMelon

Entering the trial and I'm actually finding case 2 to be super charming.
Doesn't take a genius to figure out who the villains are, but I like the angle they're going for. Very reminiscent of Redd White. I enjoy how casually they're bringing up events from Apollo Justice considering Dual Destinies sidestepped all of that game's events.

I know, right? He straight up
tricked Phoenix into getting himself executed.

Also I'm probably going to groan outloud but I missed Sitar Jesus's pun name. Anyone mind explaining it?

Re Jesus;

It's supposed to resemble Peace, Love and Understanding. See where it's going?

MrBadger

Re Jesus;

It's supposed to resemble Peace, Love and Understanding. See where it's going?

latest

NotLiquid

The first case has easily taken the cake as the best first case of any of these games

(Not "high praise" I suppose but still this just got amazing)

Link1110

So... That one guy in case 1, now I can guess they didn't have him saying shit a hundred times, but how did they translate that? Was it a curse in another language (like cabron lawyer?) or just toned down?

The emotes so far have been ridiculous, Rayfa's especially. Rayfa also reminds me of Franziska, kinda hope she ends up prosecuting just so she can be bullied more.

Heartfyre

Can't wait to buy the superior Iphone version when it drops.

Could never imagine playing these games with less than two screens.

I'm literally just about to close my laptop, put on my headphones, and start into this game now. Been looking forward to this.

MrBadger

The emotes so far have been ridiculous, Rayfa's especially. Rayfa also reminds me of Franziska, kinda hope she ends up prosecuting just so she can be bullied more.

I like how Rayfa is the first teenage prodigy to actually act like a teenager

Well there's also Sebastian but he was hardly a prodigy

I'm on the edge and I need help.

I have always played every AA at launch, but right now I'm busy with life and I have other games to play like MHG and DQ7.

Should I buy AA6 now? Tell me this game is crazy good (AA3 kinda good) and I will.

I'm up to the investigation of the 2nd case currently. Pretty funny so far! I figured out the importance of the (evidence spoiler)
song lyrics in the first case
about as soon as Phoenix started floating the idea that (more of the same evidence spoiler)
there was another way to open the box,
but unfortunately the game wouldn't let me present it until I had pressed a bunch more than I personally felt I needed to...

NotLiquid

Well I can safely say after the first case that I'm definitely more interested in the overarching story here as opposed to the Dark Age of the Law stuff (even though I feel like I liked AA5 a lot more than most people did).

Excited to see where things go from here.

Totakeke

Just started and I must have been misreading because when Phoenix declared himself as a defense attorney the judge wanted to throw him out but when Payne confirmed it everyone was in shock that he's a defense attorney? What?

It's cool how they combined the fingerprinting with the 3D object examination, it makes finding the prints actually a bit of a challenge instead of just a QTE like it's been in the previous games it appeared in.

I'm not really liking the first case. End spoilers:

The culprit folded far too quickly. All Phoenix really established is that he is the only one who could have opened the box... but like nothing else? I mean he didn't really disprove that Albhi could've clocked the victim, there's nothing that directly contradicts a theory that Albhi used a rock or something to bash the victim and then hid it in his bag. I was expecting something like the seance to have an unexplained "twang" noise that would be used to put the culprit in at the scene.

For that matter why was the box open in the first place? The trial showed that it was fairly easy to just close it up. What kind of thief doesn't even clean up the scene of the crime? And hell one of the earlier contradictions was that a shutter was blocking the view of the treasure room... why didn't they just say the shutter was open after Albhi opened the shutter to access the treasure room?

Man, Edgeworth would've had a field day with this case.

Also Phoenix Wright, shame on you for missing your daughter's big debut!

Elios83

Ok pretty big fan of the original trilogy here, really disappointed by Dual Destinies because I think they turned it into a boring visual novel on rails (the investigation part in particular was unbearable).
Is this better than the last game?

For that matter why was the box open in the first place? The trial showed that it was fairly easy to just close it up. What kind of thief doesn't even clean up the scene of the crime?

I think the culprit left the box open to create the possibility that it was opened when Albhi used it to attack the victim. If it had been closed and somebody found out it was empty during the investigation, suspicion would naturally fall on him since he had the only key.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just got the photo of the crime scene for Case 1.

IIRC the lock on the treasure box in the photo might be a different color than the one from the opening cutscene? I hope the twist isn't that the one in the photo is a fake exacerbated by the fact that the newspaper is black and white...

NotLiquid

I'm not really liking the first case. End spoilers:

The culprit folded far too quickly. All Phoenix really established is that he is the only one who could have opened the box... but like nothing else? I mean he didn't really disprove that Albhi could've clocked the victim, there's nothing that directly contradicts a theory that Albhi used a rock or something to bash the victim and then hid it in his bag.

But there was nothing else on the scene that Ahbli could have used and since the murder wasn't premeditated it makes no sense for him to carry around an object heavy enough to bludgeon the victim with, especially since everyone assumed he was going to steal something. If that was the case he'd probably have a more deliberate murder weapon as opposed to something so clumsy. Suggesting that there was something in the hallway is ridiculous since the murder happens so quickly.

I was expecting something like the seance to have an unexplained "twang" noise that would be used to put the culprit in at the scene.

This might be a cop-out answer but electric guitar strings are incredibly light weight and the murder weapon seemed highly based on a Flying V as opposed to the acoustic electric one he's usually displayed with. The twang noise would probably not have been that distinct with that particular guitar.

For that matter why was the box open in the first place? The trial showed that it was fairly easy to just close it up. What kind of thief doesn't even clean up the scene of the crime?

The box seemed (or at least suggested at some point) to have been brute forced since the victim wanted to steal the orb but discovers it's gone, that's why he holds up Ahlbi and asks him about it. If not that then the common logic seemed to have been that Ahlbi forced it open. The culprit probably left it open because he'd be able to implicate Ahlbi with it.
And hell one of the earlier contradictions was that a shutter was blocking the view of the treasure room... why didn't they just say the shutter was open after Albhi opened the shutter to access the treasure room?

What would opening the shutter possibly accomplish, especially if it increases the possibility of being caught? It's not like he needed a light, especially since the case is fluorescent.

But there was nothing else on the scene that Ahbli could have used and since the murder wasn't premeditated it makes no sense for him to carry around an object heavy enough to bludgeon the victim with, especially since everyone assumed he was going to steal something. If that was the case he'd probably have a more deliberate murder weapon as opposed to something so clumsy. Suggesting that there was something in the hallway is ridiculous since the murder happens so quickly.

I get what you're saying, but just thinking about it from an immoral prosecutor's standpoint... they could've argued that the murder weapon was his bag, which was already previously shown to weigh like a ton. Then PW may have been forced to re-examine the seance and prove it was at his side or something... but Payne just doesn't go for it. Way I see it, Jesus had an MMO established for the crime, but Ahbli still kinda of has an MMO. I could easily see a more competent prosecutor propose that Ahbli swung his bag when the blackout occurred in self-defense or that Ahbli suspected the victim was a thief and wanted to be a hero.

This might be a cop-out answer but electric guitar strings are incredibly light weight and the murder weapon seemed highly based on a Flying V as opposed to the acoustic electric one he's usually displayed with. The twang noise would probably not have been that distinct with that particular guitar.

Yeah, it makes sense why there's no sound. I still kind of think that if you examine all the facts Ahbli is still a reasonable suspect. Like a twang sound if was present could be used as evidence that the murder weapon was an instrument, this would eliminate the "means" by which Ahbli could commit murder.

The box seemed to have been brute forced by the victim since he wanted to steal the orb but discovers it's gone, that's why he holds up Ahlbi and asks him about it. The culprit probably left it open because he'd be able to implicate Ahlbi with it.

This actually makes sense when I think about it. Culprit closes the box after the theft, victim reopens the box trying to steal what's inside by "forcing it", however the hell he accomplished that.
What would opening the shutter possibly accomplish, especially if it increases the possibility of being caught? It's not like he needed a light, especially since the case is fluorescent.
[/QUOTE]

I agree that nobody would open the shutter. I'm saying that the shutter was ONLY brought up as a way for PW to expose the culprit's lies. The culprit was lying by saying he was in his office, and PW proved he was lying by noting that there was no way of seeing into the treasure room from the office on account of the shutters. If Payne or even the witnessed argued that they could see into the treasure room because the shutters were opened BY the thief, then the prosecution could still persistently claim the jesus stayed in his office the whole time.

GSR

So... That one guy in case 1, now I can guess they didn't have him saying shit a hundred times, but how did they translate that? Was it a curse in another language (like cabron lawyer?) or just toned down?

Tragically, "BECAUSE... SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! AAAAAAND SHIT!" was changed to "BECAUSE YOU'D SEND ME TO HELL!"

Vibranium

Banned
Tragically, "BECAUSE... SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! AAAAAAND SHIT!" was changed to "BECAUSE YOU'D SEND ME TO HELL!"

Aw man, I hate censorship. If the game's rated T, there's nothing wrong with shit being included. Especially for a digital-only series in the West.

Flandy

I was really liking Case 1 up until
Andistan'dhin/Jesus showed up. It all went downhill after that imo. Might be my least favorite first case in the series

Drago

Completed case 1

Had my issues with it (primarily with how drawn out it felt, a common issue I have with the non-Takumi games, and just how much they had to drill in just how much this country HATES lawyers! I swear it felt like half the case was just that. Do they calm down with that later?) but overall I enjoyed it. Not the best first case but far from the worst. It's also easily one of the funniest cases in the series, maybe even THE funniest. Can't remember the last time I was so thoroughly amused by a single case, from the character names to the personalities to (as always) the judge and Payne. Everything was so absurd in the best way.

I was apprehensive about the whole Khura'in thing since this game was announced but I actually really enjoyed the divination seance gameplay and the location feels extremely well realized so far. I also like the story set up they had here, I'm curious how everything is gonna play out. So far things are going better than expected!

Menitta

I was really liking Case 1 up until
Andistan'dhin/Jesus showed up. It all went downhill after that imo. Might be my least favorite first case in the series

100% agree.
They asked way too much from such little evidence and it went on and on and on.

Second case doldrums not in effect with this game surprisingly. Actually a pretty good case so far tying in the whole Agency and stuff from AA4.

Feels like there are actual stakes

All right, WTF. I give up. I need help because I feel like I've done everything and nothing's popping up.

Case 2, first day/investigating:
I got Trucy's black notebook and spoke to the Retinz douchebag, but nothing happens now. I've examined everything, and the notes tab says "Return Trucy's notebook," but she doesn't show up at all.
I feel like I'm missing something really tiny. Area hopping does nothing.

Gestahl

All right, WTF. I give up. I need help because I feel like I've done everything and nothing's popping up.

Case 2, first day/investigating:
I got Trucy's black notebook and spoke to the Retinz douchebag, but nothing happens now. I've examined everything, and the notes tab says "Return Trucy's notebook," but she doesn't show up at all.
I feel like I'm missing something really tiny. Area hopping does nothing.

You probably wandered off without examining everything in the dressing room or where ever else is unlocked for investigation. The game is very explicit about when you should move on from investigating

You probably wandered off without examining everything in the dressing room or where ever else is unlocked for investigation. The game is very explicit about when you should move on from investigating
Trust me, I know. I've been with the series since day one, but for some reason I'm struggling to see what I'm missing because I've checked what feels like everything.

Top Bottom