• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

omg

I did. I was looking for that red hand every time, too. I need to sleep or something.

Thanks for the help! At least I was 100% I'd feel dumb afterward.
I missed that too. I was similarly wandering around re-checking everything for a while because I had missed it.

TrueBlue

Case 2 Spoliers:

I can't be the only one who cracked a smirk when the first thing Ema did on the stand was munch on some Snackoos, right? I'm glad they kept that from her AA4 portrayal.

LiK

I also finished the first case and it was fun. LOVED that witness for the animations, music and breakdown which were phenomenal. So great. This was a much better first case than AA5. That was a snorefest. They really improved it and I like the Insight stuff even tho it was a bit difficult to understand at first.

I love this game's judge too.

Morts

Longest first case yet? I must be almost done with it but gave up and went to bed finally. Cool set up so far though, a great cross-examinations already.

Longest first case yet? I must be almost done with it but gave up and went to bed finally. Cool set up so far though, a great cross-examinations already.

Nah, the first case in Investigations 2 is longer, more like a full case than an intro.

LiK

iirc, AA5 first case was much longer. AA6 first case was a breeze.

ZeroX03

Banned
Case One is long people. I'm still on it (no text skip on).

"Bring power back to the people" is my favorite turn of phrase so far.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Played the first case last night. Really enjoyed it. It was a fun opener, quite meaty but not too long, did not mind the on the nose names at all or the heavy handedness of the "we hate defense attorneys." Really love the aesthetic of Khura'in.

Only just started Case 2. Stopped playing right at the beginning of the investigation at the stage since it was well past midnight. So so so happy with how they did a complete about face with
Ema.
Almost felt like the were acknowledging the poor characterization of her in AJ.

Can't wait to get off work and go play more when I get home.

LiK

wow i had no idea this was already out, buying now I guess. I vaguely remember AA5 is it fine to jump into this like that?

did you finish AA5? if not, might as well do it or else returning characters won't make sense to you. if you did, just jump in.

Javier

Finished Case 1. Overall, I enjoyed it. For a first case, it was pretty great even though it seemed to drag a bit at some points. I do love the animations, and the series keep topping itself in that aspect.
Andistan'din going full Freddy Mercury on the stand was amazing. If the later villain breakdowns are just as good, I'll be satisfied.

The one thing I didn't like about the case at all was
The music abruptly changing between statements in Andistan'din's witness testimonies.
That felt rather cheap.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The one thing I didn't like about the case at all was
The music abruptly changing between statements in Andistan'din's witness testimonies.
That felt rather cheap.

This bothered me only because the riffs were so goddamn good that I would get into them and then it would cut upon continuing.

Played the first case last night. Really enjoyed it. It was a fun opener, quite meaty but not too long, did not mind the on the nose names at all or the heavy handedness of the "we hate defense attorneys." Really love the aesthetic of Khura'in.

Only just started Case 2. Stopped playing right at the beginning of the investigation at the stage since it was well past midnight. So so so happy with how they did a complete about face with
Ema.

Eww they did that? She was way better in AJ than in Ashes.

Ema.

They did that?? Her character change was one of the best things in AJ :((

I like you

Jeffrey

I'm quite curious where the story goes after finishing the opener last night and based off the trailers... i really do hope it isn't just 'white man (re)civilizes 3rd world country' or something.

And the whole logic vs faith theme is not something I expected Phoenix wright of all games to dive into lol. I'm not going to be expecting some revolutionary writing and clearly zero shits given about political correctness when in the first case we get
citar heavy metal hippie jesus with god of war face paint.

I think this is the strongest opening in a AA game ive played besides the investigation ones. It really does make me excited to keep playing, and was sad it was 3am already.

The contradictions were pretty lame though, I just hope not every objection is tied to little things like you
said the name of something wrong, or color is off.

MrBadger

I can't believe they just
killed off the stepladder conversation

Ema in this game feels more like how she did in AJ, only not quite as grumpy all the time. I like her so far. Agreed, by the way

At the risk of failing my exam tomorrow, I had to play the first case. It was all right, nothing spectacular. My favorite first case was Apollo Justice, though, so my taste might be different from others. I just didn't really care for the characters at all (I found that one person pretty annoying), and the whole setup of the crime wasn't very compelling. I did like the whole seance bit, though.

I mean I hate AJ but I can acknowledge its the single best x-1 case in the series. My only real complaint about 4-1 is that its so strong it makes the rest of the game even worse by comparison.

Kinsei

Banned
The first case was alright. It had quite a few problems but I'd rank it above JFA's first case. I noticed someone mention case 3 so I think it's about time that I bow out of this thread. I don't want to accidentally spoil myself.

I mean I hate AJ but I can acknowledge its the single best x-1 case in the series. My only real complaint about 4-1 is that its so strong it makes the rest of the game even worse by comparison.

Yep 4-1 is amazing.

Abort, Abort, we have gone too far (Case 3 final trial spoilers):
So we have found out that Puray Zeh'lot is actually a fake name! Well of course, that's just a ridiculous name, I wonder what his real name is? Rheel Neh'mu. His Real Name is Rheel Neh'mu. We've reached critical mass here people.

Also plus one for AJ Ema being the best Ema since she's more interesting than AA1's Maya knockoff.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like that AJ put Phoenix and Ema through the ringer. I like it when characters are put in new, potentially awful circumstances and we see them change as a result. But some people dig the status quo and don't like seeing their characters hurt or change too much.

I miss mastermind Phoenix. He was ready and waiting to return in AA5, then he didn't.

Masked Man

I said wow
I'm quite curious where the story goes after finishing the opener last night and based off the trailers... i really do hope it isn't just 'white man (re)civilizes 3rd world country' or something.

Well, technically Phoenix and Apollo are Japanese ;) I see what you mean, though. There are shades of the colonialist/savior narrative, but—without going into spoilers—it's a lot more nuanced because of some characters' connection to Kh'urain.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I like that AJ put Phoenix and Ema through the ringer. I like it when characters are put in new, potentially awful circumstances and we see them change as a result. But some people dig the status quo and don't like seeing their characters hurt or change too much.

I miss mastermind Phoenix. He was ready and waiting to return in AA5, then he didn't.

I generally like that too, Ema's change just didn't make sense to me. Phoenix's did, it's unfortunate they couldn't really retain that suave maturity in AA5 and so far in AA6. He was what we would think as a seasoned lawyer by that point, but he got burned big time and lost it all, in part due to his naivety and trust in others. Out of all that he got a daughter and his priorities realigned and he matured over those years. It was a development that made sense given what we knew of the character.

Ema on the other hand was just an energetic girl with a singular dream of being a forensic scientist and at a young age seemed quite capable with a bright future. Cut to 9 years later and not only did she hit a speed bump, she completely and utterly failed at that dream many times over.

Phoenix was a character we already saw developed and experience lots of things over 3 games. Ema we saw in one case alone, a case which included extremely traumatic and life altering events for her. Just didn't feel appropriate to tank her like that. There wasn't any of that build up and development to justify that shift. And the turn about now feels like an acknowledgement of that because it's again not a really justifiable or earned development in her character, they just changed it because it plays better.

Meanwhile a couple years after AJ they release AAI which features Ema again, though technically several years prior to the event of AJ, pretty heavily and she is again more like AA1-5 self than her AJ self and is still positioned as a budding and promising forensic scientist with an energetic and upbeat attitude. There's nothing there to foreshadow or add to her characterization years later in AJ.

MrBadger

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Being constantly sullen and dissatisfied with her work was not very enjoyable. It felt like a very odd turn to have her become a failure and completely lose out on her dreams.

I really liked how Apollo Justice wasn't afraid to not put its returning characters on a pedestal. Phoenix and Ema making the best of the shitty situations fate handed them made them more interesting characters to me, and it's why I was pretty hesitant seeing Ema in this game at first, because of how DD treated Phoenix. Also I found the old Ema so forgettable that I keep forgetting she's in both Investigations games.

Alsp +1 for 4-1 being the best game opener in the series.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ema on the other hand was just an energetic girl with a singular dream of being a forensic scientist and at a young age seemed quite capable with a bright future. Cut to 9 years later and not only did she hit a speed bump, she completely and utterly failed at that dream many times over.

I mean wouldn't you be bitter if you couldn't achieve your dream? She devoted her life to one thing - and unfortunately is often the case - it didn't pan out. At least until now. I thought her character made perfect sense as a girl with crushed dreams. Especially in a series where basically all the supporting characters get what they want, sans I guess Larry.

Jeffrey

Well, technically Phoenix and Apollo are Japanese ;) I see what you mean, though. There are shades of the colonialist/savior narrative, but—without going into spoilers—it's a lot more nuanced because of some characters' connection to Kh'urain.

Phoenix is American. Naruhodo is Japanese. ;)

Also in this universe ghosts kinda exist and do there thing so it's not really crazy conservatives yelling at science.

This game really does do a lot of flashbacks. Which sucks because each has a load time.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I mean wouldn't you be bitter if you couldn't achieve your dream? She devoted her life to one thing - and unfortunately is often the case - it didn't pan out. At least until now. I thought her character made perfect sense as a girl with crushed dreams. Especially in a series where basically all the supporting characters get what they want, sans I guess Larry.

Technically, but there wasn't a strong basis for her failure in the first place, let alone repeated and continued failure, based on what we knew of her. They could have tied into that in AAI, foreshadowing her failure, but they didn't. She was again portrayed as extremely capable and bright. And overall the character shift in AJ was not used in any meaningful way throughout the game. She was just a failure that was sullen and dissatisfied with a career she didn't want.

A far more interesting take would have been if she had become a Forensic Scientist but that career, or maybe more fitting for AJ's themes, that the state of the police/justice departments were not what she had envisioned. But over the course of the game in dealing with Apollo and Trucy she saw investigations and the carriage of justice become how she thought they would be.

Overall her character arc in AJ was pretty much non-existent. She ends no different from how she first appeared, except for maybe contemplating making golden snackoos. There's no real growth or indication that she will retake her forensic scientist exams and pass them or anything like that. She was supposed to take the role of Dick Gumshoe, but she was never that kind of character. He was perfectly setup as a dopey miserable schlep, who always got the short end of the stick, but continued on. Ema was never like that, she had too much backstory and characterization, unlike Gumshoe who really was only a one trick poney so it didn't feel wrong to have him not develop as a character or get developed beyond always being a slave to the prosecutor.

TrueBlue

Ema stuff:

I'd contend she's a decent mix between Ashes and AJ in AA6. She's happier now, but there's a maturity that has obviously come with all her previous failures. Plus she can still get grumpy and chow on Snackoos when stressed.

They haven't really thrown anything away from AJ. Her circumstances are different now.

Lusankya

I am at the end of case 3 and I really liked everything I've seen so far form the story and characters. Actually I love it.

But why, why, why, is there a need to show so many flashbacks, especially when I saw the contents of said flashback literally a minute ago?

Anyways: Huge Case 3 Spoilers:
Maya summoning the high priest is so awesome. Finally we see how she looks like summoning a man.

javadoze

Did they make the characters models more 2D-looking again? Love how they look. What I remember from AA:DD the models had a more 3D look, no?

I was just replaying DD and comparing the two, the black cel-shading "outlines" on the characters are noticeably toned-down now.

Gestahl

I am at the end of case 3 and I really liked everything I've seen so far form the story and characters. Actually I love it.

But why, why, why, is there a need to show so many flashbacks, especially when I saw the contents of said flashback literally a minute ago?

Anyways: Huge Case 3 Spoilers:
Maya summoning the high priest is so awesome. Finally we see how she looks like summoning a man.

Back when I played in July and August, after so many games with Mia, I was almost taken aback when he hauled Maya's clothes down and let it all hang free and loose. It's easy to forget how complete a transformation it's supposed to be when the primary joke of the trilogy was "lol boobies"

spiritfox

Maybe it's just me but I feel like the Khura'in trials don't feel different enough compared the standard trials. It wouldn't be such an issue for me if not for how much they push the whole anti-lawyer thing.

Ladekabel

Bought it the minute it was online but will still wait three weeks to play it since I'm going away for a few days and plan to play it during the trip. My fingers are itching though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
They're two different places but with similar names, hence the OT's title.

The same thing was done with the Japanese version where one place was written in kanji and the other in katakana.
THAT'S FUCKING STUPID. ._.

Lusankya

Back when I played in July and August, after so many games with Mia, I was almost taken aback when he hauled Maya's clothes down and let it all hang free and loose. It's easy to forget how complete a transformation it's supposed to be when the primary joke of the trilogy was "lol boobies"

Good thing they thought about
him putting Maya's clothes back on. :p

Just finished case 3, man was it good. Super great case that feels nearly like a final case.

THAT'S FUCKING STUPID. ._.

Not really, the connection is even explained ingame.

Menitta

They're two different places but with similar names, hence the OT's title.

The same thing was done with the Japanese version where one place was written in kanji and the other in katakana.

maxresdefault2.png

Top Bottom