• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

CoryCubed

tvdmhc1.jpg

Dat Sega Wall of History

What is happening here

upper two are bioluminescent plankton, it actually looks like that. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHgCq4QT_D4

They light up when moved/the water is disturbed. AFAIK no one really knows why.

btw, when it was posted it reminded me to look for videos of those bioluminescent mushrooms in that BBC Africa episode to post them here, but it turns out that 1) it was staged in studio with some other fungi 2) you have to expose quite long to get them glowing like that, apparently it wouldn't look like that to the bare eye :(

The last one is a rainbow cloud, the ice crystals work like a prisma instead of rain drops. It's patchy because the cloud itself is.

upper two are bioluminescent plankton, it actually looks like that. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHgCq4QT_D4

They light up when moved/the water is disturbed. AFAIK no one really knows why.

btw, when it was posted it reminded me to look for videos of those bioluminescent mushrooms in that BBC Africa episode to post them here, but it turns out that 1) it was staged in studio with some other fungi 2) you have to expose quite long to get them glowing like that, apparently it wouldn't look like that to the bare eye :(

The last one is a rainbow cloud, the ice crystals work like a prisma instead of rain drops. It's patchy because the cloud itself is.

Thx mate! I want to see that plankton in real life. Must be magical to have glowing water right in front of your eyes

Found this a couple of years ago. Pretty amazing, huh?
The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: Kostnice v Sedlci) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Všech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary is estimated to contain the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people, whose bones have in many cases been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.
Pretty softcore if you ask me.

We have this:

It's called Chapel of the Bones and it's in Évora, Portugal.

Megasoum

Banned
F-1_Engine.jpg

A F-1 Engine, the type that was used in the Saturn V rockets that were also used for Apollo 11.

The same type of engine, being tested

Oh man! Awesome. I just read an article about the F-1 this morning on Tested.com too. I wish I could have seen a Saturn V launch in real at least once in my life...bummer.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
That whale story is some depressing shit if true.

Interesting, the story is a bit sensationalized to tug at hearstrings but definitely based on truth. It'll be interesting if they ever track it down.

One of my favorite ambient artists made an EP about it (featuring guest vocals from the 52hz whale itself). One of my favorite releases of all time.

http://music.lowercasenoises.com/album/migratory-patterns

This is actually pretty cool. Sucks for the whale of course, but it's really interesting that the change in frequency in enough apparently. Somewhat like being in a country w/o knowing the language at all. Plus the melancholic concept of drifting alone through the oceans, giving out signal calls with no answer and missing all the migration patterns of the other whales...

The wiki page also mentioned that they couldn't identify the species and that it could be a hybrid / interspecies crossing (which also could explain its problem).
Plus that a documentary is coming.

SKINNER!

Banned
That image is not accurate of the actual split screen multiplayer sessions we had as kids. I fixed it.

So true. The living room at my parents house had the big TV but it was always being used (except late at night) so my friends and I would go to my room and play 4 player split screen on a small screen CRT.

Top Bottom