• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Minus_Me

29.jpg

Milchjon

Awesome. I think they're usually called cinemagraphs and there are a few apps that can help making them. Obviously not exactly the same quality, but I love the effect.

Melchiah

NCM1rje.jpg

Alien-Looking Skeleton Poses Medical Mystery

A 6-inch-long skeleton was found in the Atacama Desert in Chile. The skeleton showed several anomalies, including its alien-like skull, teensy body and the fact that it had just 10 ribs rather than the 12.

A teensy skeleton with a squashed alien-like head may have earthly origins, but the remains, found in the Atacama Desert a decade ago, do make for quite a medical mystery.

Apparently when the mummified specimen was discovered, some had suggested the possibility it was an alien that had somehow landed on Earth, though the researchers involved never suggested this otherworldly origin.

Now, DNA and other tests suggest the individual was a human and was 6 to 8 years of age when he or she died. Even so, the remains were just 6 inches (15 centimeters) long.

"While the jury is out regarding the mutations that cause the deformity, and there is a real discrepancy in how we account for the apparent age of the bones … every nucleotide I've been able to look at is human," researcher Garry Nolan, professor of microbiology and immunology at Stanford School of Medicine, told LiveScience. "I've only scratched the surface in the analysis. But there is nothing that jumps out so far as to scream 'nonhuman.'"

More in the link:
http://news.discovery.com/human/alien-looking-skeleton-poses-medical-mystery-130430.htm

holy crap at those waves.
I once was crushed by a 5meter wave in Bali. It felt like E. Honda beating me up.
I can't imagine how it feels if one of these hit you.

OT:
The "Bleeding Glacier" aka "Bloodfalls"
Scientists reported last week that rust-colored Blood Falls in Antarctica contains microbes that may have survived deep under the ice of Taylor Glacier for millions of years. Their feeding habits apparently give the falls their shocking color.
O7zwB86.jpg

QrbsaBm.jpg

Melchiah

That sure is a fitting name for the occurrence.

"The Clinic Bar in Singapore boasts hospital beds and wheelchairs for thirsty patrons. Drinks are served through test tubes."

ntWXjrz.jpg

yZddjVC.jpg

Seems like my kind of place. =)

Air ambulance helicopter landing and balancing on the railings next to a road to let the doctor get out. Not that hard according to the pilot, but still seems damn impressive to a pleb like myself.

helikopter.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
Air ambulance helicopter landing and balancing on the railings next to a road to let the doctor get out. Not that hard according to the pilot, but still seems damn impressive to a pleb like myself.

helikopter.gif

That's pretty hardcore. Those pilots are excellently trained.

I'd love to work on a trauma team like that one day.

Burt

holy crap at those waves.
I once was crushed by a 5meter wave in Bali. It felt like E. Honda beating me up.
I can't imagine how it feels if one of these hit you.

OT:
The "Bleeding Glacier" aka "Bloodfalls"

O7zwB86.jpg

QrbsaBm.jpg
Cthulhu R'lyeh hgataffgagatagahyaanaaggbcxaxrfaopanarravavdava

I'm wondering if the difference in elevation of the ground makes it hard to control the helicopter. (half of the helicopter is over the slope, the other half other the higher street, so the thrust downwards should vary greatly, no?)

Top Bottom