• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Kinyou

g7Gb0Nr.jpg

This stuff always blows my mind. I mean I have a certain grasp on how evolution works, but damn, how the hell does a caterpillar know what a snake behaves like.

This stuff always blows my mind. I mean I have a certain grasp on how evolution works, but damn, how the hell does a caterpillar know what a snake behaves like.

Well, it doesn't know. But in mimicry the evolutionary selection pressure generally comes from looking as close to the "model" as possible, because their predators can evolve as well and may look through the disguise. So the individuals that evolved to additionally move in these situations had an advantage in survival.

here's a more twisted example:
yvAXxV1.gif

Leucochloridium paradoxum are parasites that use snails as intermediate hosts to get to into birds.
They make the snail's eyes look like moving caterpillars so that the birds will eat them...

I thought the point was she can't get any rest. Maybe I'm over thinking it. I have a habit of doing that at times. Got stuck in an unlocked room in Wind Waker once lol

Damn, I want to go there and just sit down for a while.

Wow...your last sentence was my exact reaction after looking at your post. Gorgeous. I would go nuts there with my camera.

Retro

QFS

Continued here: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp
And it's worth reading through.

EDIT: A couple of videos there as well.

Oh yeah, Mantis Shrimp are cool as hell. My brother used to have a bunch of salt water tanks he'd fill with liverock and a couple times one of those bastards was hiding inside. They're impossible to get rid of, they even dig multiple exits from their hiding spots.

Seriously nasty stuff, and yeah... they can break aquarium glass like it's nothing too.

Vicros

This isn't as cool as other pics in this thread, but my girlfriend found a burning windmill.

nAgwafq.jpg

No, thats actually pretty damn cool. What a crazy thing to see on the side of the road. We have thousands of them around here, I wonder what the failure rate is for that kind of catastrophic malfunction.

Melchiah

dJAfJn5.jpg

Brilliant metallic looking Weevil! (Eurhinus magnificus)

This insect is a robust weevil similar in body form to other Eurhinus weevils (Bondar 1948) and, like many of the other species, E. magnificus adults are brilliantly colored. The entire body is a vibrant, metallic blue-green with areas of metallic red-copper on the humeri and apex of the elytra and on the pronotum, rostrum, and legs. The mean dimensions of the adult are 5.66 mm long by 3.71 mm wide.

Read a full article: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/beetles/Eurhinus_magnificus.htm

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I saw one of these today at a coin show
IdtQSYo.jpg

It's a limited edition 100 Franc coin from the country of Togo.

"The plumage is reproduced in this coin series by a prism technique. The brilliant colors flash and change as the coin is moved in the light. The series is composed by three coins: Blue, Green and Yellow sunbird."

There's also a lion and elephant coin as well. All I could think while looking at it was: "oooh, shiny"

CengizMan

Found this a couple of years ago. Pretty amazing, huh?

The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: Kostnice v Sedlci) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Všech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary is estimated to contain the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people, whose bones have in many cases been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.

Top Bottom