• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Melchiah

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check if the book is available in the local library.

EDIT: I found a few more pics here:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2...s_pagan_rituals_throughout_europe_photos.html
rrYJYT1.jpg

Melchiah

Beautiful. Trains actually rode across there? You couldn't get me in that train, that's for sure.

I really have no idea. Perhaps it was only used for those old man-powered rail carts?

Übermatik;60099857 said:
Great WW2 pics Melchiah. Cunning Finnish...

Thanks. It's somewhat mindblowing to look at the pics as a local resident. Not to mention, that they were able to keep the outnumbering Russian troops at bay.

6ShV2FQ.jpg

Norway

jeUqCWW.jpg

At the top of Svolværgeita, Lofoten, Norway.

hA4p9Ak.jpg

The Krubera Cave, Abkhazia, the deepest known cave on earth.

Dead Man

575860_617474521603669_764023750_n.jpg

Those two nature pics are amazing.

Here's more.

OWKuUvS.jpg

4n9zCjr.jpg

PEJmAxu.jpg

The last one is from Sequoia National Park, California.

I find those those two pics of dark forest mysterious and magical. They kinda remind me of Twin Peaks.

Remind me of where I was born (Oregon) and where I grew up (SE Australia, had massive conifer plantations that were eerie as hell.) Fantastic stuff.

Ship shaped hotel in South Korea

Alright, that is bizarre.

DD

In the northern Finland, where I grew up, there were vast forests of firs. The forest was a magical place to be alone at night.

QFS

Isn't it dangerous? Here in Brazil I'm scared as hell when in the forest, like some giant cat could jump on my back, or a freakin' snake could bite my foot...
icon_lol.gif

Melchiah

Isn't it dangerous? Here in Brazil I'm scared as hell when in the forest, like some giant cat could jump on my back, or a freakin' snake could bite my foot...
icon_lol.gif

Nah. There are some bears and small vipers in that region, but I've only seen the latter once. In other parts of Finland there are wolves, wolverines (one of my favorite predators, small but feisty, and can drive even a bear away from its prey) and lynxes as well, but I think only the wolves might actually attack people, and even that's quite rare.

hA4p9Ak.jpg

The Krubera Cave, Abkhazia, the deepest known cave on earth.

"Depth 2,191 m (7,188 ft)"

:O (not one single drop of course, but still)

icon_lol.gif

Reminds me when I had to walk with an Indian colleague through a forest in Germany in the dark after work. I didn't even realize he could be scared, but of course no one walks through tropical forests alone and/or at night...
Here, literally the worst thing that could happen is that you stumble over a wild boar w/ piglets as it might attack you if you surprised it.
Probably even more likely to get abducted or something...

Melchiah

"Depth 2,191 m (7,188 ft)"

:O (not one single drop of course, but still)

Huh, I didn't know it was that deep.

Reminds me when I had to walk with an Indian colleague through a forest in Germany in the dark after work. I didn't even realize he could be scared, but of course no one walks through tropical forests alone and/or at night...
Here, literally the worst thing that could happen is that you stumble over a wild boar w/ piglets as it might attack you if you surprised it.
Probably even more likely to get abducted or something...

...or get lost.

sFzN0VO.jpg

So our country gets flooded (again) by nature atm and the rescue teams set up those cool protective walls.
they are incredibly thin but withstand billions litres of water. firefighters have to look out for huge flotsam which could penetrate the walls. a huge tsunami would roll over the town then.
walls still stand strong so far though.

It looks pretty surreal. town is called "Grein" and is located in upper austria.
XtFTKkW.jpg

Yh0kuaf.jpg

H8PTAoc.jpg

trfJEYp.jpg

chiQ

So our country gets flooded (again) by nature atm and the rescue teams set up those cool protective walls.
they are incredibly thin but withstand billions litres of water. firefighters have to look out for huge flotsam which could penetrate the walls. a huge tsunami would roll over the town then.
walls still stand strong so far though.

It looks pretty surreal. town is called "Grein" and is located in upper austria.
XtFTKkW.jpg

Yh0kuaf.jpg

H8PTAoc.jpg

trfJEYp.jpg

That's insane. What are the walls made of?

way more

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vaul..._of_a_platoon_leader_s_equipment_for_the.html
This sketch, of an Army platoon leader of the 29th Infantry Division fully dressed for D-Day, is by Lt. Jack Shea.

DDayBattleGearFinal.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

According to the 29th Division’s historical website, one of its regiments was part of the first wave at Omaha Beach, with the rest soon to follow. Fighting alongside the 1st Infantry Division and nine companies of Army Rangers, the 29th assaulted the western portion of the beach.

Shea was attached to the 29th as a combat historian. The Historical Division of the War Department, home of these “historical officers,” consisted of officers and enlisted men who were former professors, lawyers, and newspapermen.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vaul..._of_a_platoon_leader_s_equipment_for_the.html

Melchiah

My dad does this. I should get some of his photos for in here.

I've always wanted to try it, but I suspect my claustrophobic tendencies might be a problem. Unfortunately it would also mean a trip to a warmer climate, and I can't stand heat. =/

Top Bottom