• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
tumblr_mcfaw98qqG1r37r14o2_500.jpg

LakeEarth

If I hold up something solid the length of the extended slinky the bottom would move imminently since it's constricted tho?

The "wave" of motion through the object would be much faster compared to the slinky, yes. The slinky just helps visualize what's really happening atomically when you move an object.

btw. This is also the explanation why this:

213-light-year-poke-tt6qm9.png

wouldn't work.

The spring illusion is caused by its center of mass constantly changing. As the spring contracts, its center of mass falls. So it is actually always falling, It just doesn't look like it until the spring is done contracting and thus, its center of mass stops changing relative to its form.

I don't see what that has to do with the troll science pic which doesn't make any sense. A stick that's 1ly long has almost no distance to travel at all. How can you say its traveling at the speed of light?

As long as a photograph of it exists! Most of these sorts of works use a reference image.

yes, basically it's extreme patience coupled with a great talent of copying something 1:1.

Still an amazing feat, just that the reason it looks so real is because it almost is. Doing that by memory or creating something new would probably be impossible in this quality.

CHEEZMO™;43773125 said:

It's incredibly impressive, but I can't help but why people who have such technical skill always seem to try to recreate photographs of relatively mundane things. If I could make a drawing photorealistic, I'd be trying to create things not otherwise feasible by any other medium such as fantastical creations of things only dreamed about - not just a drawing that looks like something any person with a camera could do.

But maybe this tends to be the case because photorealistic drawings are only possible when using photos as a base.

Again - not to downplay his talent - but it's just something that always bugs me.

chiQ

It's incredibly impressive, but I can't help but why people who have such technical skill always seem to try to recreate photographs of relatively mundane things. If I could make a drawing photorealistic, I'd be trying to create things not otherwise feasible by any other medium such as fantastical creations of things only dreamed about - not just a drawing that looks like something any person with a camera could do.

But maybe this tends to be the case because photorealistic drawings are only possible when using photos as a base.

Again - not to downplay his talent - but it's just something that always bugs me.

I'm with you. I'd draw something not possible by photography, but photorealistic, so maybe water breaking all laws of physics, or something. An image only possible, you'd think, as computer-generated art.

iidesuyo

I don't see what that has to do with the troll science pic which doesn't make any sense. A stick that's 1ly long has almost no distance to travel at all. How can you say its traveling at the speed of light?

Could a 1 lightyear long stick theoretically be used to send a morse code message over 1 lightyear in a few seconds?

J-Rod

Could a 1 lightyear long stick theoretically be used to send a morse code message over 1 lightyear in a few seconds?

I have wondered this as well. It's not that the stick would be traveling faster than light, but rather you could essentially send information faster than the speed of light.

tnaden

I have wondered this as well. It's not that the stick would be traveling faster than light, but rather you could essentially send information faster than the speed of light.

QUESTION:
Let's say I have a metal rod about a half an inch thick and 300,000 kilometers long. Then say I give one end of said rod a mighty whack with a hammer, propelling it forward by one inch in a mere fraction of a second. My questions is, wouldn't the impact of my hammer cause the other end of the rod to move forward one inch just as rapidly as the end where I whacked it? And would this violate Einstein's law that states that nothing can move faster than "C"? Or would the far end of the rod have to wait one second after my whacking my end before moving forward by one inch?

ANSWER:
Have you thought about the implications of your question? I figure the mass of the rod would be about 1010 kg. Suppose that you exert a constant force such that after 0.1 s it is moving with a speed of about 0.5 m/s; it would have moved about an inch in this time. The force is the change in momentum divided by the elapsed time so, roughly speaking, the required force is about 1012 N. Where are you going to get such a force? Anyhow, to the meat of your question: no, the other end would not start moving instantaneously. It could not begin moving until at least one second later than your end started moving for the reason you state: no information can travel faster than c. In reality, it would be much longer than one second because your "mighty whack" will compress the rod and this compression will move with the speed of sound in the metal and this compression is what travels to the other end to move it.
Short answer: It's called troll physics for a reason ;)

commedieu

Banned

My friend is really good at copying life through his art, but he couldn't say, create a monster of the same quality, if his life depended on it. I think its brain wiring. Theres some creativity that isn't there.

This guy is amazingly talented none the less.

I'd like to see the picture for real rather than the compress .JPG we are looking at. It might not look as photo-realistic as we are seeing it or be more stunning in the flesh.

Many times, the people capable of such a feat are only able to replicate things they have seen or can see.

Top Bottom