• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics That Make You Laugh |OT6| r u havin a giggle ther m8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the chris

icsDK9aUTxpa8.gif

usea

Why? Man, Americans are weird.
Swimming is not usually taught in public school in the US. It's usually learned from your parents. If your parents can't swim, there's a much smaller chance you will learn it. Also access to pools is much harder to come by for people who have less money, and in the US black families in general have a lot less money.

Kids usually learn to swim from:
1) paying to become a member of a local pool
2) having friends who pay to be a local pool member
3) going to a nice school which teaches swimming
4) having a family or friend who is rich enough to have a pool on their property
5) having a beach or free public pool nearby, the spare time / transportation to use it, and somebody to teach you how to swim

There are a lot of contributing factors, really. But studies show that black children in the US are much less likely to be swimmers than whites or latinos.

I don't really get the point of having sport classes in school if they don't even teach you things like swimming. Weird!

You'll start a fire if you put a metal object in a microwave. Trust me, I've done it.

Note that it's totally fine to put a metal spoon in the microwave as long as it's in a cup of milk etc.

In fact, you want to do that as it prevents the liquid from superheating (and maybe boiling over, to an extend), but of course you can also use glass, wood etc.

Demy

Swimming is not usually taught in public school in the US. It's usually learned from your parents. If your parents can't swim, there's a much smaller chance you will learn it. Also access to pools is much harder to come by for people who have less money, and in the US black families in general have a lot less money.

4) having a family or friend who is rich enough to have a pool on their property
5) having a beach or free public pool nearby, the spare time / transportation to use it, and somebody to teach you how to swim

There are a lot of contributing factors, really. But studies show that black children in the US are much less likely to be swimmers than whites or latinos.

I learned to swim at my neighbors house across the the street. They were probably the only black family in the neighborhood at the time.
To this day, I have no real memory of them actually getting the pool with my brothers and I.

RedSwirl

Uhhh yeah. There are maybe three people in my entire extended family who can swim, and all of them first learned to swim when they joined the military.

Or. Or. You're forgetting that if you're poor enough, the apartment complex might have a pool which you can use if it's clean enough to swim in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom