• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics That Make You Laugh |OT6| r u havin a giggle ther m8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll help you!

image.php

use dat

i don't know anything about chess so uh can someone explain?

Stalemate is a draw that happens when the king has to move, but can't because he would, be able to attacked on any other tile on the board while being save on the spot he currently is on.
That does not really happen that often.

The guy in the superior situation didn't know this rule and got a draw instead of an easy win.

(compare: checkmate is basically the same situation, but the king is already in check, which means in danger and no move would save him)

DemonFox

Neo Member

Let's say it's your turn. If you are unable to move anywhere without putting yourself in check than it's stalemate. In other terms it's a draw.
It's not your opponents turn so he can't put you in check and if you just can't move without putting yourself in check it's stalemate.
People are free to correct me if I'm wrong.

phaze

It is black figures turn but the player can't move the king anywhere because every field around it is "controlled" by the white figures hence the stalemate/draw. The white player managed to snatch draw from the jaws of victory.

Beaten

noolli

Neo Member

The King (in square C3) cannot move because in each direction it would be put into check. There are no other moves the black player can make and so the game is a stalemate, forever in the turn of the black player but without a possible move.

Edit, sorry, I even refreshed a couple times so that I would not be the 4th guy to reply to this.

Here is a funny, a friend of mine too scared to get near the alien cosplayer at Eurogamer.

CTLance

Those holes on the sides are there for a reason, bub.
5y2GfqU.gif

I was about to say the same.

Then I noticed that the king is not in check, but cannot move without getting into one. He needs to move, but cannot since that would put him in check. Hence, the game settles on a stalemate.

Rules on Wiki

Edit: Dammit, too slow because I had to find a stupid image. Oh well.

It is black figures turn but the player can't move the king anywhere because every field around it is "controlled" by the white figures hence the stalemate/draw. The white player managed to snatch draw from the jaws of victory.

Beaten

More like the white player managed to throw away a win by not understanding the possibility of a stalemate.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

if it's your turn to move and you have no legal moves, the game is a draw.
the white player could have won by moving one extra square but he instead did the only move he had that wouldnt win him the game.

Beaten

More like the white player managed to throw away a win by not understanding the possibility of a stalemate.

If I were black I'd consider that a win. For sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom