• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics That Make You Laugh |OT6| r u havin a giggle ther m8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

But the lamp replaces the i, it still says Pixar after the lamp stamps it out, so it says Saoirse. This does not make any sense!
DN0vHQi.jpg

"Hailie Willington was all out of ideas."

But the lamp replaces the i, it still says Pixar after the lamp stamps it out, so it says Saoirse. This does not make any sense!

Also she says her name isn't pronounced soarsha, so even if you ignore the I, just reading it how it's written would be wrong; she says it's sersha, like "inertia".

Dy3BD3p.gif

For the dota 2 players ha
Volvo-spam.jpg

Oh fuck not again...

I don't get it.

VALVe are the developers of DOTA 2, a very popular MOBA. There's an annual halloween event called "Diretide", and last year there was a lot of commotion form the players that VALVe had yet to confirm that Diretide was happening for 2013. Spamming comments asking for VALVe to deliver turned into a weird, Twitch chat catalysed meme where people would purposely misspell VALVe to Volvo. Thus, along with that silly emoticon face thing, users of Reddit in particular spammed the Volvo subreddit, Facebook page and other social media platforms begging 'Volvo' to 'give/giff Diretide'. Of course it was all a bit of fun, but it did get a bit out of hand.

Anyway, just yesterday a big patch for DOTA 2 was announced, 6.82, and in the notes VALVe confirmed that there would NOT be a Diretide event this year, to avoid the miscommunication that caused all the grief the last year. By the image, though, it looks like people have taken to spamming this meme again for the 'lols', as you might say.

Übermatik;131491379 said:
VALVe are the developers of DOTA 2, a very popular MOBA. There's an annual halloween event called "Diretide", and last year there was a lot of commotion form the players that VALVe had yet to confirm that Diretide was happening for 2013. Spamming comments asking for VALVe to deliver turned into a weird, Twitch chat catalysed meme where people would purposely misspell VALVe to Volvo. Thus, along with that silly emoticon face thing, users of Reddit in particular spammed the Volvo subreddit, Facebook page and other social media platforms begging 'Volvo' to 'give/giff Diretide'. Of course it was all a bit of fun, but it did get a bit out of hand.

Anyway, just yesterday a big patch for DOTA 2 was announced, 6.82, and in the notes VALVe confirmed that there would NOT be a Diretide event this year, to avoid the miscommunication that caused all the grief the last year. By the image, though, it looks like people have taken to spamming this meme again for the 'lols', as you might say.

I see I see. Thanks for explaining.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also she says her name isn't pronounced soarsha, so even if you ignore the I, just reading it how it's written would be wrong; she says it's sersha, like "inertia".

Not to be nit-picky, and I realise that I'm going to come across as such anyway, but in the interest of clarity she prefers "Saoirse like 'inertia'". She realises that the pronunciation is technically incorrect and doesn't hold people to it. </theresyourfunfactfortheday> If I had to guess I'd say that the reason she settled on the pronunciation and the resulting mnemonic is that it's super convenient when it comes to conversing with people unfamiliar with the language. I mean, you don't get "Sir-sha" from "Saoirse" at first glance, but there's no nuance to the former and since it's two very distinct syllables, it's easy to remember.

Not to be nit-picky, and I realise that I'm going to come across as such anyway, but in the interest of clarity she prefers "Saoirse like 'inertia'". She realises that the pronunciation is technically incorrect and doesn't hold people to it. </theresyourfunfactfortheday> If I had to guess I'd say that the reason she settled on the pronunciation and the resulting mnemonic is that it's super convenient when it comes to conversing with people unfamiliar with the language. I mean, you don't get "Sir-sha" from "Saoirse" at first glance, but there's no nuance to the former and since it's two very distinct syllables, it's easy to remember.

Nit-pick battle? ;P
She's actually said she introduces herself as "like inertia" because she doesn't want people to "butcher" her name, and even though people in Ireland have told her, her way of pronouncing it is wrong, she "doesn't know" and just says "Sersha".

So I don't think she settled on that pronuncation, it's probably the only one she's know for most of her life.
Though you might have more info I'm not privy to and I could be completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom