• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Aguila

#ICONIC
Pikmin 3 |OT|
Starvation,
Slavery, and
Savage
Creatures in a
Cute,
Colorful
Package

ALLITERATION Y'ALL

Edit: I may be the slowest to post on this, but I think my post conveys it the best.

Every time you hit a hard consanant, imagine the crunching noise of a Pikmin in a Bulborbs mouth. (and the "S's are slurping noises).

Murrah

Banned
Oh snap, we can use a standard Wiimote with this? This went from most likely purchase to definite day one with that news

iMax

I'm not sure. I didn't find any info on that controller.

It does!

I think I'll use the Wii Remote Plus/Nunchuk + Gamepad.

o, and thanks everyone xoxo

Cool, I've only got a standard Wii Remote. Worth the upgrade? Never used one...

MarkusRJR

I heard it uses Gyro, but it's been improved a lot. It also supports non Motionplus Remotes, so there's the IR option for those people who have original Wii Remotes, but I heard it's worse.
Guess it's time to dig out my old original Wii remotes. :/

Aguila

#ICONIC
Cool, I've only got a standard Wii Remote. Worth the upgrade? Never used one...

I would guess that the standard Wii Remote controls will feel a little more clunky. Nintendo reps have basically said that the preferred control scheme for Pikmin 3 is Wii Remote Plus+Nunchuk so they've probably tightened those controls the most.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want to play using the gamepad, and was perfectly happy with the gamecube controls so I hope they're at least as good as that.

Wiimote might be miyamoto's favourite, but I don't like the idea of waving a wiimote at the TV while attempting to balance the gamepad at an angle I can see it. And how do you do things like move characters around the map? put down your wiimote and pick up the gamepad? Seems clunky.

Kid Ying

After playing a lot, i think this is one of the best games that captured the essence of what makes and maked nintendo. I don't think it's better than Galaxy, or DKCR, but Pikmin really is a game that has that "thing". Not saying about the quality of the title, just that thing that grabs you and makes you play not stop for hours.

It just felt very fresh to me. Perhaps because it's been so long since another one, but there isn't anything like it right now, so i think anyone should give it a try. Even it's just for rental or stuff. It's a great game. If i would grade, it would be an 8 out of 10.

If you have a Wiiu, you should get this game. It's the best exclusive game on it.

Tony91

Your excitement won't turn into disappointment... I had the chance to try the game and it's gorgeous both in terms of graphics and gameplay.

It was my first Pikmin experience, even though I'm a Gamecube owner, and I regret I didn't even bother to care about the first 2!

klier

Yes!!!!!! A magnificent Pikmin 3 Official thread!!

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS!!!!!!

So close now....

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Slight error in OP:

However, something new is the ability to lock on to enemies with Z and then shaking the remote to quickly throw Pikmin.

This move doesn't really "throw" Pikmin, but rather functions the same as if you were to push the c-stick forward in the old games, just in a more direct and explicit fashion. You can also lock on to fruit, flowers, and basically anything the Pikmin can interact with. The lock on target then becomes a camera pivot.

May be worth noting the specific ways in which they've tried to make c-stick maneuvering unnecessary:

- Lock-on charge move, as noted above
- Tap left or right on the d-pad to roll your leaders and entire Pikmin squad to the side evasively
- When moving, the squad is much more densely packed horizontally than in previous titles, making it much less necessary to try to thin them out or move them around like we used to in the older games with the c-stick

I want to play using the gamepad, and was perfectly happy with the gamecube controls so I hope they're at least as good as that.

Wiimote might be miyamoto's favourite, but I don't like the idea of waving a wiimote at the TV while attempting to balance the gamepad at an angle I can see it. And how do you do things like move characters around the map? put down your wiimote and pick up the gamepad? Seems clunky.

The remote controls are EXTREMELY worth it, the ability to aim beyond movement range and aim while walking in any direction are indispensable. At least give it a try.

I personally plan to just have the gamepad sitting in its little stand on my coffee table. I certainly won't pick it up to move characters around, though, as I don't really plan to use it for that. The whole "pause game and scroll map around and direct a dude" scenario seems a bit unnecessary in general, when I'm so used to just walking my squads around manually.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Slight error in OP:

This move doesn't really "throw" Pikmin, but rather functions the same as if you were to push the c-stick forward in the old games, just in a more direct and explicit fashion. You can also lock on to fruit, flowers, and basically anything the Pikmin can interact with. The lock on target then becomes a camera pivot.

May be worth noting the specific ways in which they've tried to make c-stick maneuvering unnecessary:

- Lock-on charge move, as noted above
- Tap left or right on the d-pad to roll your leaders and entire Pikmin squad to the side evasively
- When moving, the squad is much more densely packed horizontally than in previous titles, making it much less necessary to try to thin them out or move them around like we used to in the older games with the c-stick

Oh, I see. I'll fix it.

Amazing OT, Aguila!

:D

I will hold every single person that doesn't buy this game personally responsible for this:

e0K77EE.jpg

Also: great OT!

Hate to be OT but if you think thats the state of the video game industry right now you are being very ignorant. Yes shooting games are popular, but there are still tons of other genres.

Exile20

See you on the leaderboards, I wonder if there will be an icon for what control the player used for the challenge.

Purple Pikmin | Heavy and muscular. They have the power of 10 Pikmin! (Note: These Pikmin do not appear in Story Mode.)

White Pikmin | Quick. These little boogers will outrun other Pikmin. White Pikmin can detect hidden objects and are resistant to poison. Also, sacrifice one to poison an enemy (;_;). (Note: These Pikmin do not appear in Story Mode.)

Whaaa....lame :(

ASIS

Hate to be OT but if you think thats the state of the video game industry right now you are being very ignorant. Yes shooting games are popular, but there are still tons of other genres.

You're the ignorant one if you think these games were all about "vision" and creativity. Many developers have complained about their games squandered so that they appeal to a broader audience.

The theme seen in the photos above have spread on to so many different genres that you'd think they are all targeting one type of consumer.

Obviously there are more games, it is a huge industry overall. But the current trend, the overwhelming majority is becoming (or has become) more like that.

D-e-f-

Banned

Why is it lame? How many different Pikmin do you want to manage at a time? Rock Pikmin basically replace the Purple Pikmin as the more resistant combat units and the Flying Pikmin serve a more interesting purpose than the White Pikmin who were basically useless aside from not dying in poison and being able to find buried treasure.

Why is it lame? How many different Pikmin do you want to manage at a time? Rock Pikmin basically replace the Purple Pikmin as the more resistant combat units and the Flying Pikmin serve a more interesting purpose than the White Pikmin who were basically useless aside from not dying in poison and being able to find buried treasure.

Why would I want less? If they're already there, I'd love to use them.

roddur

in general, how great the sales are where shooting is not involved?

edit : also how many AAA games are shooting games?

Hoodbury

Or add 4, that'd be better in my opinion.

While I've never played a Pikmin game before, I have played plenty of RTS's on the PC and without a KB+M, having too many different types sounds like a hassle to control doesn't it? Especially if you're using the Wiimote.

Watch it, people around these parts don't take kindly to wanting all seven types playable in story mode.

Seriously though if you think seven Pikmin types is something that's unmanageable then I don't know what to say to you. It's clearly not too difficult to control seven types at once in multiplayer. Jesus.

Okay I'm done. But how about we stop bothering people who are disappointed about no Purples and Whites in single-player.

If delaying Pikmin 3 resulted in the level of polish I see in various gameplay videos, then I do not mind the wait. Super excited for this one!

Top Bottom