• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

ugoo18

Posted these in the Miiverse topic but we know have an OT so here they are again

zlCfzRDRdBwPwPPCsy

zlCfzRDR92oR3Cnwg7

zlCfzRDOstIrwyOYzb

zlCfzRDTPIIWM4K00O

zlCfzRDSk7M4UGB56h

zlCfzRDCtNcnuNvLB8

zlCfzRDRjmgHX6Tu8D

zlCfzRDROb0G1GuS-c

zlCfzRDQ0-QlOeFYLg

zlCfzRDVwv8r15fEuZ

zlCfzRDV-5UNFquzpa

zlCfzRDUxToV5ueXiQ

zlCfzRDWcvokFSdkfW

zlCfzRDC0MUna62NXW

p262zim.jpg

Gin

well.. wasnt sure about this game.. but those pics.. wow.

consider me converted.. picking this up day 1

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still really early, but the first boss is really making me not like these controls (using the Gamepad). Just feels like they are not suited at all to fast action.

I think I'll try switching to the Wiimote, but then I'll have to find a damn place to put the gamepad while I'm playing. The whole thing just seems so unwieldy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, wow... night and day difference in how this plays between the Wiimote/nunchuck and Gamepad. Not being able to aim while moving is a deal breaker in this game. Too bad.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm looking forward to this game, but I have recently listened that the main story lasts for 10-15 hours and I think that's dissapointing, specially compared to Pikmin 2 which was gigantic and full of content. It wouldn't be that bad if challenge mode had a huge amount of missions, but I read elsewhere that there are only 15 in total (5 fruit challenges, 5 enemy challenges and 5 boss challenges).

Anybody can confirm this? :(

You're looking at this all wrong.

Pikmin 2 wasn't gigantic and full of content. Pikmin 2 had caves which dragged on for far too long and weren't much fun to be in. Pikmin 1 was an 8 hour game. The extra 10-12 hours in Pikmin 2 were entirely coming from the massive amount of cave levels that you had to go through.

Idle Thumbs are really big enthusiasts of the multiplayer in Pikmin 2, I'll be interested to see their reaction to Pikmin 3.

Without doing really any research, they were incredibly bummed about Bingo Battle which in turn bummed me out because they didn't even really check out what it actually is or got to play it and yet they dismissed it entirely.

(I think it came up in their week-after-E3 podcast)

Errr, what?

If you're playing with GamePad/Pro Controller, you cannot aim and throw Pikmin while you are moving the main character while the Wii Remote controls allow you to do that. This coupled with the fact that the Wii Remote pointer allows you to select Pikmin from ANYWHERE on the screen while the stick-controlled cursor is limited to a set distance underscores how much superior the Wii Remote controls are for this game and why it is indeed the ideal control method.

Mistle

I really like the advantages of using the Wiimote/Nunchuk, but I also really want to use some Wii U hardware... be it the gamepad or pro controller. It'd be great having free camera in a game like this so I guess that'd be the advantage of NOT using Wii controls.

Hmm, I can't decide. I guess the Wii controls are a clear winner, but for some reason I just don't want to use them haha.

D-e-f-

Banned
I really like the advantages of using the Wiimote/Nunchuk, but I also really want to use some Wii U hardware... be it the gamepad or pro controller. It'd be great having free camera in a game like this so I guess that'd be the advantage of NOT using Wii controls.

Hmm, I can't decide. I guess the Wii controls are a clear winner, but for some reason I just don't want to use them haha.

Well, you can switch between them on the fly so you could just casually play with the GamePad in Off-TV mode and if there's a boss fight that requires more accuracy you could switch to Wiimote or something.

SparkTR

Keep the gamepad on your lap or propped up next to you.

Farmboy

Got a review copy little over a week ago. Some impressions, that I'll try to keep spoiler-free.

Finished the story mode with all fruit. Took me about 22 hours and 48 in-game days, which is far from maximum efficiency but isn't particularly slow either - I'm guessing it'll turn out to be quite average. There's still some secrets to be found and linerging questions to be answered, so I'll be replaying it in search of some missing data files, after which I'll probably try a speed run (it is kind of annoying that the game only really allows a single story mode slot). But I'll probably tackle the challenge mode before all that (completing it actually had some story relevance in Pikmin 2).

Great game, best in the series and best on Wii U. There really isn't anything quite like Pikmin and since this is only the third iteration in a decade, it's a very welcome return. So addictive, you'll want to keep playing 'just one more day' until you've finished it.

The biggest improvement is probably in the much larger environments which are genuinely exciting to explore.

Wii Remote + Nunchuk control is vastly preferable, but I do really really like the GamePad integration: you can use it to send an astronaut with a squad of Pikmin anywhere on the map by clicking 'Go Here!', then switching to a different teammember while said squad makes its way to that destination. Very RTS-like and it really increases efficiency. You can use it in tandem with the Remote + Nunchuk and doing so emphasizes the feeling of running a Pikmin command center from your couch.

As is obvious from the screenshots, Nintendo really took the time to polish things up so that it no longer looks like a Wii title. Some textures are still a little fuzzy but overall it just looks great and certainly whets the appetite for Wii U titles built for the system from the ground up.

It's not a hard game outside of some tough boss battles. The banter between Alph, Charlie and Brittany is amusing and the story has a couple of nice twists. Puzzles are easy but there's some quite creative ones. There's much less handholding than in, for example, Skyward Sword, which is great... for me, at least, but I doubt Pikmin novices will be stumped; it's a very accessable game still.

Pikmin 2 wasn't gigantic and full of content. Pikmin 2 had caves which dragged on for far too long and weren't much fun to be in. Pikmin 1 was an 8 hour game. The extra 10-12 hours in Pikmin 2 were entirely coming from the massive amount of cave levels that you had to go through.

Without doing really any research, they were incredibly bummed about Bingo Battle which in turn bummed me out because they didn't even really check out what it actually is or got to play it and yet they dismissed it entirely.

(I think it came up in their week-after-E3 podcast)

If you're playing with GamePad/Pro Controller, you cannot aim and throw Pikmin while you are moving the main character while the Wii Remote controls allow you to do that. This coupled with the fact that the Wii Remote pointer allows you to select Pikmin from ANYWHERE on the screen while the stick-controlled cursor is limited to a set distance underscores how much superior the Wii Remote controls are for this game and why it is indeed the ideal control method.

lol, I've been playing the game for many hours and I forgot that that's how it works. Well yeah, Wiimote is the superior control scheme but I really love using the gamepad for this game as well.

D-e-f-

Banned
you can use it to send an astronaut with a squad of Pikmin anywhere on the map by clicking 'Go Here!', then switching to a different teammember while said squad makes its way to that destination. Very FPS-like and it really increases efficiency.

You mean "very RTS-like," right?

Otherwise, nice impressions! Thanks for sharing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
apart the ground textures, I admit that the Miiverse screenshots show us something really similar to the famous bird tech demo. maybe even better (considering that those are ingame, a game that moves a lot of different elements on screen)

zroid

Banned

I loved Pikmin 2, but this is sadly true. :(

The caverns were extremely repetitive.

Awesome! I'll be able to to talk about my experience with the game soon, but others have you covered I see. Pikmin is back, one of my favorite series!

My son's a huge fan of Pikmin. It's the only game I can think of that I can sit down for a 1 - 2 hours session and will keep his interest to watch.

Hoodbury

So GAF, is there any correlation to a pre-release OT thread not being able to stay on the front page and the games potential sales or hype level?

I'm bumping this thread from the 3rd page now. Even yesterday when this thread was newly created it was constantly falling to the second page.

So I'm just curious, if even we GAFers can't talk a lot about a niche style game that is a "gamers game", what hope does it have for a console with low count's itself?

Makes me worried I guess. The last WII U OT I was heavily invested in was the Monster Hunter one and I think we were pretty close to making the OT 2 before the game even came out. But this one is barely getting any posts at all.

What's up with that?

D-e-f-

Banned
So GAF, is there any correlation to a pre-release OT thread not being able to stay on the front page and the games potential sales or hype level?

I'm bumping this thread from the 3rd page now. Even yesterday when this thread was newly created it was constantly falling to the second page.

So I'm just curious, if even we GAFers can't talk a lot about a niche style game that is a "gamers game", what hope does it have for a console with low count's itself?

Makes me worried I guess. The last WII U OT I was heavily invested in was the Monster Hunter one and I think we were pretty close to making the OT 2 before the game even came out. But this one is barely getting any posts at all.

What's up with that?

All it means is that the game isn't out yet anywhere except for Japan and there isn't really anything new to talk about until we actually get our hands on it.

Hoodbury

All it means is that the game isn't out yet anywhere except for Japan and there isn't really anything new to talk about until we actually get our hands on it.

Perhaps. I suppose for the Monster Hunter OT we had the demo to talk about. I've just never seen an OT get so little attention.

BHZ Mayor

It's not about Nintendo I believe.
also coming from someone with a gun in his avatar...
yeah.

Huh? Ratchet and Clank is nothing like those games in the picture. Also, my point is that Nintendo doesn't even do those types of games nor have the support of the third parties that typically make them so not buying Pikmin 3 wouldn't have any effect on that. A more accurate post would be if there was some picture floating around with all the similar Mario games that have been made this generation (excluding the Galaxies of course).

Mael

This somehow seems quite fearsome...
Huh? Ratchet and Clank is nothing like those games in the picture. Also, my point is that Nintendo doesn't even do those types of games nor have the support of the third parties that typically make them so not buying Pikmin 3 wouldn't have any effect on that. A more accurate post would be if there was some picture floating around with all the similar Mario games that have been made this generation (excluding the Galaxies of course).

No.
His point is that if it's not successful, pubs out there will keep thinking that only brown shootbang sell or spunkgargleweewee like someone else says.
And you avatar while not spunkgargleweewee is actually rather pandering too.

Top Bottom