• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

While I've never played a Pikmin game before, I have played plenty of RTS's on the PC and without a KB+M, having too many different types sounds like a hassle to control doesn't it? Especially if you're using the Wiimote.

So multiplayer is going to be too much of a hassle?

While I've never played a Pikmin game before, I have played plenty of RTS's on the PC and without a KB+M, having too many different types sounds like a hassle to control doesn't it? Especially if you're using the Wiimote.

The game actually makes you select pikmins by type when you want to throw them, as opposed to proximity to the main character (as it was in the previous two instalments). I actually would suggest people to play pikmin 1 and 2 before this, because that's a HUGE change on a strategic level.
Plus, last time I checked, dismissing pikmins actually makes them divide themselves based on type, so there's that too.

Hoodbury

So multiplayer is going to be too much of a hassle?

Hmm, probably why they didn't include online right? jk.

Like I said I haven't played the series so I don't know for sure; it just seems like it will/would be harder to manage or switch without being able to assign groups to keys.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The game actually makes you select pikmins by type when you want to throw them, as opposed to proximity to the main character (as it was in the previous two instalments). I actually would suggest people to play pikmin 1 and 2 before this, because that's a HUGE change on a strategic level.

You could do this in Pikmin 2 as well. Tap d-pad left and right while holding A. I think now you do it in Pikin 3 by hitting B while holding A, and can only toggle in one direction. But I don't remember exactly if that's how it works.

Seriously though if you think seven Pikmin types is something that's unmanageable then I don't know what to say to you. It's clearly not too difficult to control seven types at once in multiplayer. Jesus.

Well, theres seven types in "challenge" mode(which is now called mission mode).

Miyamoto said he wants this to be a game to be played by all ages.

He probably saw that five types in the story mode was just the right balance for the game to be enjoyed by all ages.

Thats just the way it is.

You could do this in Pikmin 2 as well. Tap d-pad left and right while holding A. I think now you do it in Pikin 3 by hitting B while holding A, and can only toggle in one direction. But I don't remember exactly if that's how it works.

I'm pretty sure you just grabbed the second closest one to you, you had to cycle trough your pikmins individually to find the type you needed.
I may remember wrong though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Gargh, OT is finally here, game is a long week away more or less. Let'd do this, PikGAF!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm pretty sure you just grabbed the second closest one to you, you had to cycle trough your pikmins individually to find the type you needed.
I may remember wrong though.

Yeah, you press and hold A, which will put the closest Pikmin in your hand. While holding him, you can tap the d-pad to swap through the different types, and they'll cycle through your hand.

Pretty sure Pikmin 3 is the same. Grab the guy at the front of the group, cycle from there. It's just that now you grab from the front of the group no matter where you're standing. You pull only from the group that's been toggled to until you manually toggle to another group or that first group runs out. Which is much nicer, since it'll be a lot harder to fuck up and throw the wrong type when you want a specific one.

So I guess in that regard, you're right, it's different. Field position being subordinate to the Pikmin color prioritized in the UI. You still grab and toggle the same way, though.

Hiltz

Why do we have to wait until August 4th? Why? Why? Why?

I guess it boils down to new hardware mo problems.

On the bright side, there's other games supposedly coming out next month. There's Splinter Cell: Black List, New Super Luigi U (retail version) and Disney Infinity. In addition, eShop titles Cloudberry Kingdom, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mysteria and Gianna Sisters are currently scheduled for release.

Urgh I might have to go digital for this :(

Im thinking about it. Im just 4pts away from getting the $5 credit, so ill get $10 back after buying this. Plus I wouldnt have to change discs. I also dont think id ever sell this game. Theres also getting it a day early at gamestop.

Only thing holding me back is the great cover art.

Bingo mode hasnt gotten much attention on these forums. I think that will be a surprisingly fun mode.

D-e-f-

Banned
I guess it boils down to new hardware mo problems.

On the bright side, there's other games supposedly coming out next month. There's Splinter Cell: Black List, New Super Luigi U (retail version) and Disney Infinity. In addition, eShop titles Cloudberry Kingdom, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mysteria and Gianna Sisters are currently scheduled for release.

And DuckTales.

I think they just appear in the leader's hand, and get chucked on an arc like any other. Kinda silly, since they could fly there on their own, but consistent at least.

Hm. Was just wondering if the flying Pikmin were more "directed" than thrown.

As for digital or physical, always physical. Love hard copies of products.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Nice to see this thread isn't a flame war like some of the other Pikmin ones.

Can't wait until this game comes out! This is mostly because I loved Pikmin 1 over 2, and this seems a lot more like the first. Btw, while the Rock Pikmin seem to have a ton of uses, have people talked about the surprises with the winged ones? Oh well, I guess I'll wait until I get the game next month.

bart64

Banned
Question: Can you swarm your Pikmin in this game? Like with the c-stick in the GameCube games?

No, it has been replaced with camera controls and a new aim mechanic. I realize the c-stick thing was added because the pikmin were too stupid to get around obstacles in the gamecube games, but I will miss it. Just got used to all the power I had to direct their every move, even if it was unrealistic and cheap.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm about to make a push to finish my run of NPC Pikmin 2 tonight. Playing it back to back with NPC Pikmin 1, I can see freshly the pros and cons of their differing campaign philosophies.

The dungeons in P2 do feel weird with no time passing, it kind of screws up the flow of the game. I also think I like having an overall time limit like Pikmin 1; but the 100 day limit Pikmin 3 sounds like a better compromise. Sure, I imagine it's hard to run out of days in Pikmin 3. But just knowing it's there, and your days matter for final campaign score and such, feels right for what Pikmin is.

However I will be god damned glad if the Pikmin in 3 really are smart enough to follow the captain properly. I lose so many of them when they run right off a narrow ledge into water in P1 and P2, ha ha.

zroid

Banned
Have posted tons of screenshots already, so here's some art instead:

zlCfzRDP9XA6YNkCmj

zlCfzRDMRSs-KDnf4T

zlCfzRDRo8ozK7z4tS

I'm looking forward to this game, but I have recently listened that the main story lasts for 10-15 hours and I think that's dissapointing, specially compared to Pikmin 2 which was gigantic and full of content. It wouldn't be that bad if challenge mode had a huge amount of missions, but I read elsewhere that there are only 15 in total (5 fruit challenges, 5 enemy challenges and 5 boss challenges).

Anybody can confirm this? :(

Kai Dracon

I'm looking forward to this game, but I have recently listened that the main story lasts for 10-15 hours and I think that's dissapointing, specially compared to Pikmin 2 which was gigantic and full of content. It wouldn't be that bad if challenge mode had a huge amount of missions, but I read elsewhere that there are only 15 in total (5 fruit challenges, 5 enemy challenges and 5 boss challenges).

Anybody can confirm this? :(

Based on impressions I've read from Japanese launch:

- 15 missions in mission mode
- Greater focus on replayability and leaderboards for the missions. More ways to score.
- Missions have some unique enemies that don't show up in the campaign.
- Campaign is around 15 hours without getting entirely 100%
- Campaign performance is posted to global leaderboard, intended to be replayed.

In an interview it was stated they wanted to make Pikmin 3 more nuanced and replayable. Given the 3 captains and multi-tasking, I'm under the impression that overall play in the campaign is more complex than Pikmin 1 or 2, regardless of how long it takes to finish a full run. This may factor into viability to replay for scores and performance.

- Greater focus on replayability and leaderboards for the missions. More ways to score.
- Campaign performance is posted to global leaderboard, intended to be replayed.

In an interview it was stated they wanted to make Pikmin 3 more nuanced and replayable. Given the 3 captains and multi-tasking, I'm under the impression that overall play in the campaign is more complex than Pikmin 1 or 2, regardless of how long it takes to finish a full run. This may factor into viability to replay for scores and performance.

Dont forget about bingo mode(if you got someone else to play with).

It has 12 stages with each having you use different pikmin types.

I also believe you can choose how many leaders each person can use and how many pikmin you start out with.

Thanks for the details.

If that's all I still think it's lacking in content for a 2013 title we've waiting for 10 years, specially when Pikmin 2 had more than 200 treasures, 30 missions and an extra zone with a true ending after credits. I'm afraid nowadays you can't save a short game just by adding leaderboards and saying "it is because of the replayability". If the story mode is that short I was hoping more than only 15 challenges to complement the main experience.

I'm truly dissapointed now :/

Randdalf

Im thinking about it. Im just 4pts away from getting the $5 credit, so ill get $10 back after buying this. Plus I wouldnt have to change discs. I also dont think id ever sell this game. Theres also getting it a day early at gamestop.

Only thing holding me back is the great cover art.

Bingo mode hasnt gotten much attention on these forums. I think that will be a surprisingly fun mode.

Idle Thumbs are really big enthusiasts of the multiplayer in Pikmin 2, I'll be interested to see their reaction to Pikmin 3.

Kai Dracon

Thanks for the details.

If that's all I still think it's lacking in content for a 2013 title we've waiting for 10 years, specially when Pikmin 2 had more than 200 treasures, 30 missions and an extra zone with a true ending after credits. I'm afraid nowadays you can't save a short game just by adding leaderboards and saying "it is because of the replayability". If the story mode is that short I was hoping more than only 15 challenges to complement the main experience.

I'm truly dissapointed now :/

The thing is, Pikmin 1 took about 9 hours to beat the story, and Pikmin 2 about 13 hours on average. The main difference was Pikmin 2 did have the treasure system to collect. It was possible to get another 5-10 hours out of it, depending on how long you took.

Pikmin 3 sounds about as long as Pikmin 2's primary story. I don't know what the collectibles are to find for 100% (the 15 hour claim was without having found everything; there's another category besides fruit.)

Replayability is a valid plus, when the game is designed well. Pikmin has always been replayable; this game is just adding leaderboards to make it more competitive.

However I do think lack of the Pikipedia with treasures will be an understandable letdown for a lot of fans.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Pikmin 2 can be beaten in under 10 hours easily. Not 100%ed, but beaten. If Pikmin 3 is similar I see nothing to worry about.

In future installments(hopefully), to get around either juggling too many types or cutting types they could make more drastic environments. For example, red, white and flying couldn't be used in an arctic area due to it being too cold for them to survive. A desert region that is too hot and dry for Blue, purple and rock to survive. A windy region that yellow, white and winged are too light and aerodynamic for them to ve usable. A powerplant/stormy area where rock and winged pikmin can't go to as they would be too susceptible to electricity. A really dark cave area where the original pikmin trio can't go to due to poor eye sight in the dark. Those were just some ideas at the top of my head. They could include 7 or more types in the main game just limit what Pikmin can enter each environment which would make it more interesting. They could take it further and more precise with things like a poisonous swamp that only blue, white and winged could enter or something.

Pikmin 2 can be beaten in under 10 hours easily. Not 100%ed, but beaten. If Pikmin 3 is similar I see nothing to worry about.
Yeah you can easily beat Pikmin 2 (earning enough money) in 6-8 hours. While I was hoping for a bit closer to 20-25 hours 15 hours is still a lot more than 1 & 2.

Top Bottom