• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Ah, I was hoping this topic would turn up. Although I thought that the final area was
Australia
, as I'm pretty sure you can see
Ayers Rock
as you're landing.

I haven't made it to the fourth (last?) area yet, but it looks like PNF is based on
Pangaea Ultima
which would put the third area in
coastal China? Asia somewhere?
Makes sense because the area that extends out to the west from there looks like
the southern tip of South America, which matches up with Pangaea Ultima.

o_O

Did you download the patch for Pikmin 3? I think it added Miiverse functionality, among other things.

Otherwise: have you set up a NNID and opened Miiverse yet? Could be it.

I launched Miiverse. What do I do when I get there? I know this question has been answered in this thread, but how do I post my screenshots?

Yeah, I feel the same way about Pikmin 3, feels like I made the right decision. Next month is The Wonderful 101 yay :)

I really want to get it but I have a feeling my mom will force me to lay off video game buying so my family will have gifts for birthday and Christmas ;_;

Maybe I can sneak one through...

I do miss the right analog stick being used to move your pikmin crew.

I never played the first two, so I can't miss that feature.

Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, it doesn't make sense to me. You shouldn't be able to manually move the pikmin around. The gameplay revolves around the captain giving commands and physically throwing the pikmin. You don't play as the pikmin, but the captain. The roll move makes sense, since the pikmin are just mimicking your move as the captain.

..but yea...that's my opinion..

Frodo

I launched Miiverse. What do I do when I get there? I know this question has been answered in this thread, but how do I post my screenshots?

Well, there are 2 ways you can do it.

1st one is the default for any game (if the game allows you to post screenshots that is): just press the Home button, click on Miiverse and it will open the respective community for the game you are playing, click in Post and on the right corner you will have the option to add a screenshot to your post.

The 2nd one is to utilize the Camera function on the game pad. Just touch the camera icon on the right lower corner on the game pad while in game and it will open the Camera. Take a shot and it will be automatically uploaded to Miiverse. You'll just need to enter a caption and press Post.

kubus

Well if Miiverse works, then you should be able to upload pics.

For Pikmin 3 there's two options:

- Take a picture with Camera Mode. Touch the Camera icon on the GamePad and use it to make a picture. Miiverse will automatically launch after you snap a pic.

- Press the HOME button while in the game. Now go to Miiverse, and press New Message (or something similar). You can now attach a screenshot. You'll be able to choose between a screenshot of your TV or the GamePad.

Hope it works now!

Edit: beaten like a dwarf bulborb :'(

linko9

After just over 10 hours, I've unlocked what I assume is the final area. I've certainly warmed up a lot to the game since my first session yesterday. The game is different enough mechanically from the previous two games that I'm able to appreciate the novelty. That said, I think the game is overall not as good as the first two. But I'm glad that they found a good balance between old and new, and all the new elements are neat (new pikmin, rolling, three captains), just not as neat as the stuff they got rid of. I think I'll power through in the morning and get all the remaining fruit, etc., and beat the game.

Bit-Bit

So a few friends came over yesterday and we played about 5 hours of Bingo.

Holy shit this game is addicting.

BTW, they were all Pikmin newbies and have all fallen in love with the game now. 3 of them has a Wii U and is getting the game now and 1 of them is planning on getting a Wii U just for this game.

The Power of Pikmin!

Gentlewoman, here :)

Don't worry, it probably happens a lot to you too :p

Oops. Usually I'm good at spotting other girls. Should've gone with my original idea of saying "Thanks you two." It's happened to me in this thread! I post a picture of my hand with pink nail polish and I still get managed to be called a "he."

vanty

I never played the first two, so I can't miss that feature.

Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, it doesn't make sense to me. You shouldn't be able to manually move the pikmin around. The gameplay revolves around the captain giving commands and physically throwing the pikmin. You don't play as the pikmin, but the captain. The roll move makes sense, since the pikmin are just mimicking your move as the captain.

..but yea...that's my opinion..
I played the first two games probably three times each over the years on GameCube (never on Wii) and I quickly changed my negative pre-release opinion on losing right stick control within 30 minutes of playing. With the dodging and especially the super fun charging it isn't needed at all.

And yeah it also makes the game more realistic in a way though I can't remember if they gave any explanation for how Olimar could manoeuvre them around.

So what seems to be everyone's preferred control method?
Remote and nunchuk all day. I tried gamepad to begin with but as soon as I tried the remote I never went back. Nice how you can switch between the two instantly though.

kubus

Oops. Usually I'm good at spotting other girls. Should've gone with my original idea of saying "Thanks you two." It's happened to me in this thread! I post a picture of my hand with pink nail polish, and I still get managed to be referred to as a "he."
Haha yeah and you even have a tag that mentions it! I think I'm the only person who noticed your nail polish, guys just don't pay attention to that stuff lol :p. I've mostly given up on correcting people though, it gets so annoying after a while. I should probably change my nickname to CuteFairyAngelPrincessKubus-chan if I ever want to get rid of the gender confusion.

And yeah it also makes the game more realistic in a way though I can't remember if they gave any explanation for how Olimar could manoeuvre them around.
I always figured it was because of the trumpet sounds that Olimar makes when you used swarm. But that doesn't make any sense either :p.

I agree that it was a good thing to remove it. You control the Captains, not the Pikmin. Not to mention that swarm was a little overpowered imo. Pathfinding has also been improved in Pikmin 3 so the other use of swarm, that is, to get your Pikmin safely across a narrow bridge, isn't needed anymore either.

pretty pics
I like how Reggie is staring at your screenshots.

Pitmonkey

Played a couple more hours last night, total of 5 for the first day.

Amazing game - honest to god. Such charm, beauty and essence. Thanks to the camera mode it's also the closet thing I have played next to Pokemon Snap (I can only imagine how amazing that game would be if Nintendo pulled the trigger)

Question, does replaying days reset your Pikmin count to where it was before that day? I lost alot of red Pikmin to the first boss for no reason and would love to give it another go.

zroid

Banned
Question, does replaying days reset your Pikmin count to where it was before that day? I lost alot of red Pikmin to the first boss for no reason and would love to give it another go.

Yeah the game basically creates a separate save each time you complete a day, so it's an exact snapshot of progress.

The fruit in this game is maybe the most convincingly realistic thing I've ever seen rendered in a video game, which is odd because Nintendo usually just gives everything the same uniform monotone plastic-y sheen no matter what it is.

Pitmonkey

Yeah the game basically creates a separate save each time you complete a day, so it's an exact snapshot of progress.

Ok, next question (sorry, I know I should just play the damn game) - if I beat the first boss with less or no losses, does my Pikmin count raise when start progressing through the current next day?

imBask

Banned
I never played Pikmin before, picked this game up yesterday, found my Wii U hidden in a dusty corner and tried it

first of all to clarify things : I hate the Wii. I can't play any game that requires me to hold a Wiimote in my hands, i'm generally extra zen when it comes to gaming but the wiimotes just make me angry within seconds, i'm allergic to them and I won't use them no matter what, if the game just isn't as good on the gamepad, then the game just isnt good for me

so I played about 5-6 days so far, and so far the game itself is pretty fun, colorful and beautiful, but I know for a fact this game was designed for the Wii... the gamepads control are okay until you hit certain spots, then they become dreadful

IE
the first or second boss, the one with the crystal shields on his body, since you're in a closed room, the camera kept centering in weird positions, or kept locking on the boss, preventing me to whistle my Pikmins back... I lost about 50 pikmins in that easy fight because I just couldnt make the camera work in the right angle fast enough to target and then attack the boss to save my little friends... I also had so much trouble targeting lost pikmins to whistle them back for the same reasons

other exemple
other exemple was the place where you can get a Lime up a ledge, and you have to make your way up there with a balance puzzle thing. fairly simple, but the ledge is narrow and you can't simply point and click with the gamepad, you have to run around trying to target the thing without ending up to close to the upper ledge and not being able to throw your pikmins up there. Targeting AND running on the same stick is a terrible idea at all IMO, am I missing something? can you change that? using the right stick as the pointer and the left stick to run seems like the logical way to do it

afoni

Banned
It seems other people have chimed in, but I'll thrown in my bit anyway.

Why is it an awful sequel?

While I do think Pikmin 2 is the weakest in the series, there really is no denying that it took the first game and expanded on the concept to a level that was incredible. I may not have liked the caves as much as most people did, but it was something different - something new, even - that made you play the game differently. Pikmin 3 stays very safe with what it does and it doesn't feel like much was done to set it apart from the other games in the series. Sure, they tried to do something different with the fruit and the multiple captains, but it wasn't enough to set it apart and make me feel like I was playing something new. The only thing that sets it apart from Pikmin 1 and 2 is the phenomenal level of polish and the story progression not being based on collectables. In fact, it fits into this weird thing Nintendo seems to be doing recently where every game is being turned into a Zelda game. It's a bit odd, really.

I'm not knocking the game itself for being way too safe, because I really do like Pikmin and I really enjoyed Pikmin 3. What I am going to criticise is its status as a sequel, because it doesn't do much to set it apart from the other two games in the series. If Pikmin 4 does get made, I hope that it's a bit more daring with what it does.

kubus

other exemple
other exemple was the place where you can get a Lime up a ledge, and you have to make your way up there with a balance puzzle thing. fairly simple, but the ledge is narrow and you can't simply point and click with the gamepad, you have to run around trying to target the thing without ending up to close to the upper ledge and not being able to throw your pikmins up there. Targeting AND running on the same stick is a terrible idea at all IMO, am I missing something? can you change that? using the right stick as the pointer and the left stick to run seems like the logical way to do it
I'm not 100% sure because I didn't play with the GamePad, but I heard that if you hold R (or ZR?) you can move the pointer without moving the Captain.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hm now I'm wondering about the planet layout. The world in Pikmin 2, as shown in that image earlier, has the continents in their normal places. Now in Pikmin 3, they've combined into supercontinents. I wonder if that difference is meant to be canonical. Millions and millions of years having passed due to time dilation from space travel. I kind of doubt it. Pikmin 3 map probably retcons 2's.

I feel like people who were complaining the first boss is designed to take advantage of your inability to move Pikmin either only had leaf pikmin (in which case, learn to plan) or must have just been playing with the gamepad and had a hard time whistling their Pikmin back.

imBask

Banned
I'm not 100% sure because I didn't play with the GamePad, but I heard that if you hold R (or ZR?) you can move the pointer without moving the Captain.

if you hold one of the trigger you can lock the pointer and run around, not the other way around unless I missed something

i haven't scanned through the boards to get a general consensus of the quality of this game.. so those playing and posting how do you rank this game so far?? I'm about to wake my son up and start playing for an hour before bed. (Night shifts sigh..)

i haven't scanned through the boards to get a general consensus of the quality of this game.. so those playing and posting how do you rank this game so far?? I'm about to wake my son up and start playing for an hour before bed. (Night shifts sigh..)

i would say high quality with extreme polish to it. 8.8-9 range

My impressions of Pikmin 3...(Spoiler free)

Intro:

This game does a fantastic job with its opening sequence. It really sets a unique sci-fi vibe that has this imax documantary quality to it. It has just the right length to set the plot and give you an understanding of exactly what is happening without dragging on to where you want it to be over. The part at the end where the ship(looks like a star) crashes on the planet and the Pikmin 3 logo fades in gave me goosebumps. The music and sound effects are just amazing.

Presentation:

In my opinion, Nintendo has reached a whole other level. You really feel like you're part of these captains journey and life. Theres just this quality to the game that I've yet to see from any other game. This isnt on a technical level, but rather that its something really special. It has defined itself as its own and you wont find an experience like it any where else. The way you're introduced to the pikmin is very fitting and charming. Like the intro, its short and sweet. Just enough to make it feel like theres a story there, and to establish a connection with the pikmin.

The gamepad display is also quality. Theres a lot of nice touches, from when it installs new information on your kopad, to the lines running down the background.

The way the level design progresses in the story, you're introduced to better looking environments. The game only gets better.

Graphics:

Beautiful. The issues with the ground textures and poly count of some of the rocks is completely overlooked by the beautiful foliage, shaders, and lighting. I found myself staring at the flowers and leaves because they look almost life-like. Theres so much detail to them, like a photorealistic look, in some cases. The water is some of the best ive ever seen in a game. It actually may be my favorite water in a video game. The art direction with it is just beautiful. It reminds of the water seen in the Wii U bird tech demo showed a while back. The reflections and water movements are mesmerizing.

The lack of AA didnt bother me at all. I'm only playing on a native 720p 32" tv, so this helps. I can understand that it may be worse for people playing on big screens. Really, the only object that had really noticable jaggies was the icicles. Otherwise nothing else caught my eye to where I was let down. This is coming from someone who use to have a high-end gaming pc and loved maxing out the graphics.

Music:

Some of the best I've heard in a videogame. I think this is where Nintendo shines more than any other developer. I believe they are the best at defining the character of their IPs with very unique and memorable sound tracks. You cant help but get sucked into this game with the combination of the music and environments.

The sound effects are superb, too. From just clicking a button on the menu, to the sound it makes when you can rotate and look at the fruit you collect. Nintendo did not miss any opportunity to put a special touch on everything. Even running into mushrooms and other objects gives off a really unique sound effect.

Gameplay:

Theres nothing like it. Its a nice hyrbrid of an RTS and action game. The wiimote/chuck is the best for accuracy, but I found myself enjoying the gamepad just fine. I think theres advantages to each. Especially in bingo battle, being able to rotate the camera freely with the gamepad, I'd assume youd have an advantage of finding what you need more easily. Now the gamepad does display where the fruit are on the screen, so you'd hope your friend doesnt use it when you cant see it.

If I was trying to set high scores, wiimote/chuck, no question. If I just wanted to play through the story casually, I don't mind the gamepad at all. It has some auto-aim to it and you can also lock onto to objects/enemies.

Its really fun to watch your pikmin haul things around and gives this nice sense of accomplishment when you're multitasking. The enemies each have their own unique attacks, so the game does a good job at keeping things entertaining and fresh.

This game will definitley challange you with each pikmin having their own unique abilities. You keep finding new and better ways to improve yourself. Yet this game can be played by anyone.

One last thing I'd like to mention is this game title screen. It has to be one of favorite in any video game. Its a nice nature scene that changes in times of the day each time you go back to it. It shows the little pikmin running across a bridge in the upper corner and just gives off an innocent child-like vibe to it. Also, there's flying pikmin that look like they're flying into the tv and go up and over the pikmin 3 logo giving it a 3d feel.

The music that plays is amazing. I found myself zoning out, just staring at the nature and listening to the music. I even had this moment where I get hit with the beauty of nature from the combination of the music and graphics. I felt like I was in nature for a moment.

Overall, this game is an example of why Nintendo needs to always be around. You will only find a gem like this from Nintendo. I think the secret to Miyamoto's success is that he is a man-child. You can feel that spirit in his games.

Oidisco

This game is so pretty looking and this camera feature is way too addictive haaalp!
zlCfzREkEKYwm-kp3y

zlCfzREdlXgL5H0dpT

well I am selling my copy of SMTIV so I can grab a $30 eshop card to go along with my $30 credit I got from Nintendo. SMT just isn't my thing anymore. I enjoy it enough but I would rather be playing Pikmin on my gamepad while lying on the couch.

Frodo

One last thing I'd like to mention is this game title screen. It has to be one of favorite in any video game. Its a nice nature scene that changes in times of the day each time you go back to it. It shows the little pikmin running across a bridge in the upper corner and just gives off an innocent child-like vibe to it. Also, there's flying pikmin that look like they're flying into the tv and go up and over the pikmin 3 logo giving it a 3d feel.

The music that plays is amazing. I found myself zoning out, just staring at the nature and listening to the music. I even had this moment where I get hit with the beauty of nature from the combination of the music and graphics. I felt like I was in nature for a moment.

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time looking at the title screen and appreciating the song. It is gorgeous and... Just feels right... :)

Top Bottom