• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

afoni

Banned
I've been pretty damn critical all year long on the games i've played, almost too critical (you saw what I had to say about Dream Team Bros!)
But Pikmin 3 really hit the nail on the head for me, while there's certainly some issues I could take with it I enjoyed it to the point where i'm pretty satisfied with the whole package.

I actually like you, man. You're pretty cool and you're not afraid to criticise something even when you like parts of it.

See, I'm happy to call Pikmin 3 the best game in the series, but I really can't get over the fact that Pikmin 2 had so much more content and was more of a sequel than 3 was.

zroid

Banned
That sounds more useful. Thanks.

Doesn't help with avoiding enemy attacks but should work for other stuff.

Once you get the dodge whistle you won't have to worry about that either. The controls in this game overall do a better job of accommodating your needs without making it feel like you're magically mind controlling your army of Pikmin. :p

Although the NPC Pikmin "march" command was a pretty good compromise as well.

Arkam

After watching the GameTrailers review I am pretty hyped for this game.
I am very tempted to go pick it up on my way home from work today.

Looks so fun!

kubus

Where are my photos stored?
Nowhere, unfortunately. You have to post them to Miiverse if you want to keep them.

Nintendo really dropped the ball with this one. The offense is even greater because they actually do store the pictures you take, as they're used in the World Map :(.

Soren01

Nowhere, unfortunately. You have to post them to Miiverse if you want to keep them.

Nintendo really dropped the ball with this one. The offense is even greater because they actually do store the pictures you take, as they're used in the World Map :(.

No problem. :)

Here some pics.

ibolWFoeTQp0Lb.jpg

iTJxdRZcKXtAG.jpg

ibaFudGAT7p74u.jpg

Air

Banned
Just bought it. I'm kind of wary of playing it though. The first game gave me so much anxiety that when I bought the second, I never played the story mode (I can't stand watching those guys die). I like that you can restart the day and I imagine I will be using that feature a lot.

Also this game reminds me of that louis ck joke about throwing human pain and suffering until you make something great.

Onikaan

Well, I'm learning the hard way.

I just bought this, and a 2nd hand Premium Wii U ( it's in good shape ).

Unfortunately, I can't do anything because there's a parental lock. So I try and reset this to no avail. The shop told me the system had been formatted, but it obviously hasn't due to the fact someone's Mii is still wandering around. Phoned Nintendo, who brush me off quickly because it was 2nd hand and "it may have credit card information on there so we can't give you a master key".

Great. So I have to take it back in for the store to phone them and reset it.

Utter. Joke.

Well, I'm learning the hard way.

I just bought this, and a 2nd hand Premium Wii U ( it's in good shape ).

Unfortunately, I can't do anything because there's a parental lock. So I try and reset this to no avail. The shop told me the system had been formatted, but it obviously hasn't due to the fact someone's Mii is still wandering around. Phoned Nintendo, who brush me off quickly because it was 2nd hand and "it may have credit card information on there so we can't give you a master key".

Great. So I have to take it back in for the store to phone them and reset it.

Utter. Joke.

Can't you just format it yourself? There should be an option for it, or is that locked out too?

I actually like you, man. You're pretty cool and you're not afraid to criticise something even when you like parts of it.

See, I'm happy to call Pikmin 3 the best game in the series, but I really can't get over the fact that Pikmin 2 had so much more content and was more of a sequel than 3 was.
Well cheers, it's a blessing and a curse at times.

I think Miyamoto himself recently said that he views Pikmin 3 as the "ultimate version" of Pikmin 1.
And I think that actually puts a lot of how Pikmin 3 panned out into perspective.
3 seems to angle more to improving upon the original Pikmin style, a kind of back to basics approach but more refined. I can understand some disappointment from fans of Pikmin 2 as a lot of its elements were dropped be it the variety of enemies, overall amount of content and even smaller details like how Olimar earned more variety in upgrades across the game
like the punching combo, knapsack and whistle that plucked Pikmin out of the ground.
I began to notice recently that I leaned slightly in favour of the original Pikmin as I find 2 a bit too bloated for my liking, to the point i've never fully finished it. So for me 3 dialling things back was a plus in a case of less is more, obviously people will have different ideas of what they prefer Pikmin to focus on so hopefully this should help to explain why some of us here aren't really that critical of 3, at the same time I also get why fans of 2 might feel a bit let down.

Randdalf

Or if you're using Wiimote/Nunchuck you have to lick on and wiggle waggle the Nunchuck.

You can actually use the motion sensors in the GamePad to do it as well. I also thought that was the only way to do it, so I was tilting my GamePad all over the place during gameplay.

My thought is they made it online only so you're forced to promote the game. No excuse, though.

Onikaan

Uh, well. I don't believe it.

I decided to try the secret question for a laugh.

"What was your favourite birthday Present"

Quickly type in "WiiU"

And... I'm in. Some poor kid must have gotten this as a Birthday present.

Ah well, that saved me a LOT of hassle. Cheers Kiddo.

zroid

Banned
I wouldn't even be so sure that the game stores your photos anywhere but Miiverse. It might be stealthily pulling the photos directly from your own Miiverse profile. We already know games have the ability to do stuff like that.

Quickly type in "WiiU"

LOL. Congrats. That's actually really sad when you think about it.

Pikmin 3 looks like a generational leap over Pikmin 2 but not the best looking current-gen game by any stretch.

Part of it might be that Nintendo's artstyle has a hard time making an impact with better graphics. You have to really pay attention to things to appreciate them.

Quickly type in "WiiU"

His favorite birthday present has already been traded in?

ASIS

And you are under the assumption that everyone gushing about the game is afraid of critique.. Why?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I like the illustrations in the logs, they are super-silly. They almost make up for the lack of Piklopedia descriptions, actually. It's just silly pictures instead of silly words.

Of course, nothing will make up for the lack of Piklopedia music. But I hold that against literally every game ever made that isn't Pikmin 2.

I wonder if there was a Pokemon Snap or Wind Waker style gallery planned at some stage of development that didn't make the cut. Just because on Miiverse, the photos are intelligently tagged with what you took a photo of. "Pikmin," "plants," "scenery," but even specific enemy names. The logic being present to identify the contents of a photo makes me wonder.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well that was fun. Was watching my friend stream the early goings of the game and he just ragequit on the first boss. I'm honestly not sure if he's ever going to pick the game back up again. The reason: lack of swarming, because he got annoyed about having to throw pikmin to get them to do things, and because he believes that if he could swarm, he could get his pikmin to dodge out of the way of the boss' primary attack.

Personally I just think he's being kind of a baby, but has this been a serious problem for others starting up the game? I know you get the dodge and charge moves eventually, but how long do you have to go to reach that point?

Swarm makes a huge difference. I think the second big boss took me ages to defeat, over a day to whittle him down, noint seemed to affect it much (
even bomb rocks werent that effective)
and I lost a lot of pikmin. Then my son comes along, uses swarm and kills it in almost no time at all and not losing a single pikmin.

hatchx

Banned
Pikmin 3 looks like a generational leap over Pikmin 2 but not the best looking current-gen game by any stretch.

Part of it might be that Nintendo's artstyle has a hard time making an impact with better graphics. You have to really pay attention to things to appreciate them.

Best looking current gen game or not, it's beautiful and my non gamer friends jaw dropped. Seeing the drake and onion in the foreground of 100 Pikmin animating - it's quite a site. Also the enemy and fruit models are great. It's quite an achievement visual if you ask me, it looks better on my tv than any screens/video depicted.

I'm on day 23 now. Really loving it.

I like the illustrations in the logs, they are super-silly. They almost make up for the lack of Piklopedia descriptions, actually. It's just silly pictures instead of silly words.

Of course, nothing will make up for the lack of Piklopedia music. But I hold that against literally every game ever made that isn't Pikmin 2.

I wonder if there was a Pokemon Snap or Wind Waker style gallery planned at some stage of development that didn't make the cut. Just because on Miiverse, the photos are intelligently tagged with what you took a photo of. "Pikmin," "plants," "scenery," but even specific enemy names. The logic being present to identify the contents of a photo makes me wonder.

Its also neat, while in the ship, you can check-in with the captains multiple times. Theres a decent amount of worth-while dialogue to read that builds up the story. They leave it optional, so its not forced on you. Choices are good.

Copenap

Impressions of someone new to the series after 4 hours.

Game looks wonderful but at the beginning playing with the gamepad the controls really put me off, they just felt 'wrong'. Switched to Wiimote after an hour and it's way better.

I also had to become accustomed to the whole day timelimit mechanic but I feel quite comfortable with that now. Just defeated the third boss and am really enjoying the game now.

Bought this from the eShop earlier today. First time playing a Pikmin game and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of it!

Chose to play with Wii remote and nunchuck btw. :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bought this from the eShop earlier today. First time playing a Pikmin game and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of it!

Chose to play with Wii remote and nunchuck btw. :)

It seems Pikmin 3 is going to bring a measure of newcomers into the series. Glad you are enjoying it - there's a reason many have said Pikmin is Nintendo's secret best franchise.

On the side, if new fans are curious, the New Play Control editions of Pikmin 1 and 2 for the Wii are excellent. While Pikmin 3 will obviously be a lot more polished up, each game does remain overall a unique experience to itself.

Raptomex

Man, this game rules but I suck at puzzles. Always have. I just saved Charlie and am doing my first day with all 3. I couldn't figure out what to do last night. Then again I was tired. I'll have to try again today.
I know this is a bit random, but I really like turning on my TV with the gamepad. :lol
I should set that up. Since I've gotten a smartphone I've just been using that.

Frodo

I know this is a bit random, but I really like turning on my TV with the gamepad. :lol

That feeling when you don't need to hunt the remote control down when you want to change the volume... :p\

Such a small thing, but oh, so neat...

Nags

Banned
This is my first Pikmin game as well. Just finished SMT IV, and going into this is a nice change of pace. Game is gorgeous, love exploration, actually ran into some boss creature completely by accident. Lots of great surprises and little details. For a sort of frantic game game with time limits to each day, it's somehow relaxing...

This game is really clever. It is actually worth owning a Wii U for.
That is the first time I have been able to say that about this system.

majik13

I use the gampad way more than my actual tv remote, even when not using the wii u. The only time I actually use my tv remote is to access the tv menu. I wish the gamepad let you do that.

Top Bottom