• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

zlCfzREz-P80PhkczP

mother-of-god-o.gif

o.o

npa189

Do the days seem way too short to anyone else? I'm on day 12 and I haven't found charlie yet. I could just be bad...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Welp I just blew my own mind. When you use the super-spicy spray it upgrades your entire squad to flower-level when the spray wears off. Definitely didn't do that in Pikmin 2!

Pretty great, since you can't easily mine for nectar. These sprays just got a whole lot more useful.

zroid

Banned
Welp I just blew my own mind. When you use the super-spicy spray it upgrades your entire squad to flower-level when the spray wears off. Definitely didn't do that in Pikmin 2!

Pretty great, since you can't easily mine for nectar. These sprays just got a whole lot more useful.

hwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mind blown

need to start using that stuff more

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
hwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mind blown

need to start using that stuff more

If I've got a safe path I'll usually just throw five pikmin, preferably flying, on one of the berry flowers at the start of the day, and pick them up again at the end. Since Pikmin 3 pikmin always return to the location of a mining point after dropping off their load, they wait around until more berries grow and pick them automatically. I'm usually annoyed by that behavior more often than not, but it works out nice for the berries.

Shahadan

I just saw the same tip on Miiverse and had the same reaction :lol:

I passed it 2 days ago.
Amazing game and I really hope the series continues.
It's a lot of fun and the final battle had me nearly in tears with all the cries of dying Pikmin
(I may or may not be exaggerating). I honestly prefer the Kopai Captains to Olimar and Louie, too.

The mission mode is good fun, especially in multiplayer, while the Bingo Battle mode is great, even if some of the items are a little cheap (seriously, you should not be able to drop a boulder on your opponent and kill all but 1-2 of their Pikmin mid-battle).

I look forward to the DLC because, as much as it pains my wallet, I will buy it without hesitation.

According to my Activity Log I've played for 20.5 hours (including multiplayer), but my final story-mode time with ~45 fruit was 11.5 hours.

Cheska

On day 10 and I have to set the game down, my eyes hurt :p

So thankful for the "earlier day" option, because I completely messed up in the third area and lost a bunch of my new Pikmin. I'm amazed that many of you are able to complete this so quickly. I've been playing pretty much all day but I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

atbigelow

Even with wiimote and nunchuck making things easier, i'm still surprised people are having a hard time with the gamepad, especially since it feels pretty similar to Pikimin 1 cube controls.

I actually never played any of the previous Pikmin games. This is ma first, baby.

So I caved, cancelled my Amazon order, and picked this up today (at the fourth store I went to, none of the others had recieved theirs yet)

I thought you guys were crazy when I saw that some of you were doing 5 hrs+ a day... I just forced myself to stop after 5 hours. It's been a long time since that happened.

The game is gorgeous and the tutorial elements have felt incredibly non-intrusive, I'm really enjoying the game's writing.

Sooo good!

CrisKre

Still trying to muster hype for this game, despite loving Pikmin 2. How does it compare to that game? Does it have a similar variety of environments? An equally robust bestiary? Can you view the treasures you collect and the creatures you defeat in a Pokedex-style model viewer? (I -loved- that feature in Pikmin 2)

Its better. More focused, more polished and just fleshed out immensely. Every moment of the game has more purpose than pikmin 2. Its simply fantastic.

This big ass dead zone on the analog stick is annoying as hell, but other than that I don't have any problems.

Edit: dead zone isn't the best term. Well, the dead zone for moving at least.

ohlawd

ok I lied. I'm done for today.

Played for about 8-9 hours straight. Could have been 9-10 but I screwed up going to Best Buy and ended up going there an hour early >_>

I already went in with super high expectations since u no, Pikmin 1 and 2 are some of the best games in existence but damn, I am highly fucking impressed. I don't know if it's just hype but I felt so fucking good playing this game today.

EWmof.gif
Nintendo
p0QHO.gif

God dayum. If only you could pump out this much goodness once a month jeezus no one would question the damn company.

Yes definitely we will stream bingo battle again. Hopefully i can get 2 or more people and make xsplit work =x. Bought a 2 web cams just for streaming this game lol.

Also it was my friends sal first ever pikmin experience and its been a couple years since i played pikmin 2... next time we will do better.

vanty

Beat the boss yesterday. 6:37 supposedly (seemed like at least 10 hours), 38 days and 50 fruit. Final level was weird, I saw what looks like an unfinished red bridge with a spider web on other side yet finished without ever doing anything with it.

Restarted day 38 to get the remaining fruit and the 5 memos I didn't get before taking on what turned out to be the final boss. I lost 94 against him first attempt, he had maybe 5% health remaining which I killed off within 30 seconds of my final day.

Really enjoying it, but it's definitely a lot easier to clear 100% than 2 without the caves. Hopefully this mission mode has some higher difficulty.

Shahadan

Beat the boss yesterday. 6:37 supposedly (seemed like at least 10 hours), 38 days and 50 fruit. Final level was weird, I saw what looks like an unfinished red bridge with a spider web on other side yet finished without ever doing anything with it.

Alternate path to stall the boss, nothing more to it.

Roo

God dayum. If only you could pump out this much goodness once a month jeezus no one would question the damn company.

This is exactly what they are trying to do.
They have covered the rest of the year with high quality monthly releases, Pikmin 3 being the first one and yet all the bitching does not seem to cease.

ohlawd

This is exactly what they are trying to do.
They have covered the rest of the year with high quality monthly releases, Pikmin 3 being the first one and yet all the bitching does not seem to cease.

I know that heheh I'm buying at least one new game a month for my Wii U until December. So hyped for TW101 next month. I don't think the whining will cease, unfortunately.

If they can keep this up to 2014 and beyond, holy crap. Can you imagine?

Just now coming up for air after a 6-7 hour binge. Such a great a game, like many have said, it's been awhile since a game has captivated me this long for the first session (being summer doesn't hurt either). Leave it to Nintendo though to do it!

I'm sad that I'm already more than halfway done, but finding all the fruit should last some more time. Anyone know if there is a point of no return? Does it warn you at all? If not, should I just stay clear of the final 5th area, and get everything else elsewhere.

Back to it :)

Roo

I know that heheh I'm buying at least one new game a month for my Wii U until December. So hyped for TW101 next month. I don't think the whining will cease, unfortunately.

I think January and February will be very quiet in terms of games but after that we have Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, X, Smash Bros and whatever game they have yet to announce.

Hopefully they'll release a new Metroid next year :(

For the first time since the OG DS had that explosion of great games, I'd have to manage my gaming expenses.

The games Nintendo have released/will release on 3ds and wii u will make this one of the greatest gaming years ever.

and its been almost completely ignored by the press.

Top Bottom