• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

glaurung

Decided to unpack my Wii U and set it up just to grab the game off the eShop. Played up to rescuing the first team mate. Fun, but the constant tutorial stuff alternating between the TV and the gamepad makes my neck hurt.

Also, cannot really keep track of all those pikmin... When the day ends, I can't figure out whether I am losing some or not. Or I haven't lost any yet and therefore don't know how that looks like.

Oh, and special note on the graphics fidelity. Most excellent water and crystal effects.

zroid

Banned
Also, cannot really keep track of all those pikmin... When the day ends, I can't figure out whether I am losing some or not. Or I haven't lost any yet and therefore don't know how that looks like.

during the final 25% of a day, a little counter appears near the top of the screen which tells you exactly how many Pikmin are currently poised for death

glaurung

during the final 25% of a day, a little counter appears near the top of the screen which tells you exactly how many Pikmin are currently poised for death
OK, then I have been keeping them all safe so far. It's just that the bottom squad/field numbers don't match up - cannot for the life of mine figure out why.

Loving this game!!! Loved the first two and this is the best of the bunch in my opinion. Got to
the fuckin island on legs thing today.
Holy shit it looks amazing!

Frillen

That moment when you spam-throw Pikmins and you accidentally throw one with a bomb and you realize too late what you've done.

zroid

Banned
OK, then I have been keeping them all safe so far. It's just that the bottom squad/field numbers don't match up - cannot for the life of mine figure out why.

Might be because the remainder are idling within the onion ring, where they're safe. For example, if you have 50 in your squad, and 70 in the field, and the counter at the top says 5, the other 15 should be idling near the onion.

edit: Or following a different leader, I guess. :p (memory is failing me, but I'm pretty sure that's another such scenario)

That moment when you spam-throw Pikmins and you accidentally throw one with a bomb and you realize too late what you've done.

knoooow thaaat feeel

Soren01

ibcbgRHrgXgI8T.jpg

ibMc0TC8EKfDO.jpg

ibtkwWYpm018ZX.jpg

ibvscnbxz27uPm.jpg

Man, that first boss is hard...

Is it normal to be on Day 15 without
finding the Captain yet? I feel like maybe I'm missing something that's supposed to be obvious. I've explored the three regions and have just been collecting fruits and beat a couple bosses (E3 demo boss and the hairy spider).

Am I on the right path or should I be focused somewhere else? I've been looking in Tropical Winds but it seems I've explored most of what's available without Blue Pikmin.

finding the Captain yet? I feel like maybe I'm missing something that's supposed to be obvious. I've explored the three regions and have just been collecting fruits and beat a couple bosses (E3 demo boss and the hairy spider).

Am I on the right path or should I be focused somewhere else? I've been looking in Tropical Winds but it seems I've explored most of what's available without Blue Pikmin.
The game is pretty free-roam. You don't have to get whoever by a certain day. So long as you finish before 99 days. :p

The Twilight River is gorgeous. Can't wait to get my hands on some winged Pikmin.

That said, I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of missions. I mean...only ten, really?

Other than that, lovin' it.

Just take it at your own pace.

Yuterald

The Twilight River is gorgeous. Can't wait to get my hands on some winged Pikmin.

That said, I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of missions. I mean...only ten, really?

Other than that, lovin' it.

There's 15 if you included the boss rush/fights, right? True, It is half the amount of missions that there were in Pikmin 2 though. But, I feel like this game is definitely quality versus quantity.

There's 15 if you included the boss rush/fights, right? True, It is half the amount of missions that there were in Pikmin 2 though. But, I feel like this game is definitely quality versus quantity.

I should've been more in that I was referring to what's exclusive to the mode. Yes, they include the boss fights, but they still operate the same as the story mode, right?

Generally, I get more out of games when they pour in content, ala Pikmin 2 which delivered both quality AND quantity in spades. Meanwhile, this game seems a bit more lacking on the quantity front but emphasizes replayability It's not like I have a problem with how the mechanics resemble more of the original (I love both), but I'd like to have more to do outside the campaign.

Ah, well. I'll save the criticism for the blog review. Can't wait to dive back in tomorrow.

Beat the boss yesterday. 6:37 supposedly (seemed like at least 10 hours), 38 days and 50 fruit. Final level was weird, I saw what looks like an unfinished red bridge with a spider web on other side yet finished without ever doing anything with it.

Restarted day 38 to get the remaining fruit and the 5 memos I didn't get before taking on what turned out to be the final boss. I lost 94 against him first attempt, he had maybe 5% health remaining which I killed off within 30 seconds of my final day.

Really enjoying it, but it's definitely a lot easier to clear 100% than 2 without the caves. Hopefully this mission mode has some higher difficulty.

I think the number is actually the time of day on the last day. So you took 38 days and it was 06.37am on the last day. Each day is 15 minutes so you took at least 9.5 hours. I have seen some people saying the game is short but maybe they are playing it for longer than they think and are thinking the number is the total play through time? I'm pretty sure this is the case as I beat the boss pretty quickly on my last day and it said 06.30. I then added another day in to collect some more fruit and beat the final boss slightly quicker and it was 06.22 despite me taking an extra day so I'm guessing a pikmin day starts at 06.00am

majik13

I have had difficult times ... the day ends and my Pikmins and me are far away from Drake.

when you hear the day end warning, you ussually have more than enough time to get back to the ship. If you have trouble finding your ship, look for it on the gamepad map, and set it as the waypoint. You can also leave your pikmin in the ships safe zone, and then go gather other stray pikmin.

Uhh, how do you lock on to something and send all your pikmin at it? I saw someone do that in a video but I pressed every button and nothing worked. By the way, I'm using a Gamepad (No I won't use the Wiimote)

Cbajd5

Uhh, how do you lock on to something and send all your pikmin at it? I saw someone do that in a video but I pressed every button and nothing worked. By the way, I'm using a Gamepad (No I won't use the Wiimote)

If I'm remembering correctly:

Get the throw cursor pointing at the thing.

Hold ZL until it locks on.

Shake the Gamepad.

ALSO THE PDF OF THE MANUAL IS FINALLY UP

THEY MESSED IT UP BADLY WITH "NINTENDO GAME MANUAL" ACROSS IT

Soren01

when you hear the day end warning, you ussually have more than enough time to get back to the ship. If you have trouble finding your ship, look for it on the gamepad map, and set it as the waypoint. You can also leave your pikmin in the ships safe zone, and then go gather other stray pikmin.

I know, but I'm always optimistic to believe that will be sufficient time to do everything.

Mendoza

I've played the first two Pikmins to completion, but this is the first one that I'm not restarting days on if I mess up or waste time.

So far Pikmin 3 has had the most tense and interesting battles. The Gamepad allowing for rally movement is awesome, and opens up the strategic elements a bunch.

Much like every other Pikmin, the most exciting part of the game is discovering what Nintendo is going to throw at you next. So many wows.

i was on the same boat as you....i'm on day 18 and no captain yet. i spent the last 8-10 days searching for clues and found nothing, so i caved and went online...

here's where you need to go

go to the Tundra level, go to the the spot where you have to throw pikmin to get the dodge whistle. what you do is throw Brittany down, select her, then have her whistle at the other guy and he'll just walk over to you some how. from there, you beat up some critters and then throw one of your characters across the double mushroom bounce jump along with some pikmin. you'll see a pine cone in this area. from here, i have no idea what to do since i stopped watching right here. just get to this location and you should be on the right path to getting to the captain

If I'm remembering correctly:

Get the throw cursor pointing at the thing.

Hold ZR until it locks on.

Shake the Gamepad.

Seriously? Shake the friggin gamepad? I mean, I know the controls are meant for the Wiimote but they could have at least put some effort into making some decent controls for the gamepad.

I guess I'm not making myself clear? See how he gets all his pikmin to go at him in this video? Theres something he does at 6:15 that makes the screen have a different graphical effect. How do you even lock on to things? Pressing ZR does not work. The game never made this clear which is very frustrating as it seems to be a very critical move.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/04/pikmin-3-walkthrough-sandbelching-meerslug-boss-battle-part-9?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Fwii-u-videos+(IGN+Wii+U+Videos)

ASTROID2

Seriously? Shake the friggin gamepad? I mean, I know the controls are meant for the Wiimote but they could have at least put some effort into making some decent controls for the gamepad.

Seriously is it that hard to give the gamepad a little nudge? Ive never understood whats so hard about it.

I guess I'm not making myself clear? See how he gets all his pikmin to go at him in this video? Theres something he does at 6:15 that makes the screen have a different graphical effect. How do you even lock on to things? Pressing ZR does not work. The game never made this clear which is very frustrating as it seems to be a very critical move.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/04/pikmin-3-walkthrough-sandbelching-meerslug-boss-battle-part-9?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Fwii-u-videos+(IGN+Wii+U+Videos)

Put the cursor over it and press ZL.

Cbajd5

Well by shake I meant like a slight jostle up or down. Doing it too much made it not work for me.

There might be a button to do it too, but I didn't try any. EDIT: Looked at manual I posted earlier, you can press B.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, I meant ZL. Sorry.

Put the cursor over it and press ZL.

That does not lock on to the creature. I'll repeat myself, see the graphical effect that happens when you lock onto this monster? The grey stuff at the edge of the screen? That does not happen when I put the cursor on the creature and press ZL. It just highlights the creature. When I press B afterwards, the pikmin either separate or a small batch of them go at the monster (and then nothing happens, it doesnt flip over like it does for him). It doesn't do anything similar to what he does.

Cbajd5

That does not lock on to the creature. I'll repeat myself, see the graphical effect that happens when you lock onto this monster? That does not happen when I put the cursor on the creature and press ZL. It just highlights the creature. When I press B afterwards, the pikmin either separate or a small batch of them go at the monster. It doesn't do anything similar to what he does.

Press and hold ZL until it locks.

Top Bottom