• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Blues1990

They're not pointless, they're just scaled down to simple support units. The speed advantage of the Whites and the strength of the Purples are very much still a part of your strategy options.

Nonetheless, it still baffles me that the Red, Blue, & Yellow Pikmin-types had received upgrades to make them more flexible, but both the White & Purple Pikmin-types have been reduced to, as you've fittingly put, supporting roles. If both types were over-powered in the previous game, wouldn't it be a lot more simpler to just create foes that can counteract some of their strengths?

However, that's a minor complaint, and in the chance that we do take control of Captain Olimar & Louie to retrieve more treasure (and such) in the future, I just want my boys in White & Purple to be back in working order.

Kalaidos

Neo Member
Upto to the last level now. If I complete it will i get a chance to get the rest of the fruit or should I collect all the fruit and then complete the last level?

After you complete the final level you will end the game automatically. You can then still go back to older days and collect the remaining fruit, but as far as I know you'd need to re-do the final level again to get an updated Mission report / ending screen.
So, go for the remaining fruit first, I'd say.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nonetheless, it still baffles me that the Red, Blue, & Yellow Pikmin-types had received upgrades to make them more flexible, but both the White & Purple Pikmin-types have been reduced to, as you've fittingly put, supporting roles. If both types were over-powered in the previous game, wouldn't it be a lot more simpler to just create foes that can counteract some of their strengths?

However, that's a minor complaint, and in the chance that we do take control of Captain Olimar & Louie to retrieve more treasure (and such) in the future, I just want my boys in White & Purple to be back in working order.

Purples and Whites are useless outside of the cave-structure of Pikmin 2. That's too many unit types, too. Cycling through and keeping track of five different types is already a lot of work. You already rarely needed Whites in Pikmin 2. Purples got replaced by Rock Pikmin with a more fleshed out skillset and more unique design. The R, B and Y Pikmin haven't received any upgrades either. They're the same as they were before. Unless you count the ability to dig up stuff across all types. Not sure if Yellows were as fast so I might give you that point. But Reds and Blues are unchanged. Now, all types stand apart for their unique features. Dragging a bunch of Purples and Whites just to sniff out something to dig up and carry a big piece of fruit alone isn't useful. Being able to smash crystal and crystal-like material along with flying is very unique, new and useful here.

I don't get why some of you so desperately want Purples and Whites in the story mode when there's no practical use or design necessity for either of them?!

Purples and Whites are useless outside of the cave-structure of Pikmin 2. That's too many unit types, too. Cycling through and keeping track of five different types is already a lot of work. You already rarely needed Whites in Pikmin 2. Purples got replaced by Rock Pikmin with a more fleshed out skillset and more unique design. The R, B and Y Pikmin haven't received any upgrades either. They're the same as they were before. Unless you count the ability to dig up stuff across all types. Not sure if Yellows were as fast so I might give you that point. But Reds and Blues are unchanged. Now, all types stand apart for their unique features. Dragging a bunch of Purples and Whites just to sniff out something to dig up and carry a big piece of fruit alone isn't useful. Being able to smash crystal and crystal-like material along with flying is very unique, new and useful here.

I don't get why some of you so desperately want Purples and Whites in the story mode when there's no practical use or design necessity for either of them?!
Also, any Pikmin type can pick up a rock bomb now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Also, Blues are more mobile underwater. Rush 'em at one of those squids, they'll run over to it and leap. They used to be locked to the ground. Though I guess water in previous games was effectively just a ground state, there were never any things that operated on the Y axis. Probably more of a general game design tweak than a Pikmin ability upgrade.

By the way, did I imagine that one of the Pikmin 3 memos said Yellows were good at digging? For the longest time I only used them, until I started realizing you could do it with the other guys too.

Oidisco

I picked up Pikmin 1 super cheap last week and I dunno, the game is fun but I'm finding it very frustrating. Pikmin AI is awful and I find for some reason I can't seem to hit a lot of smaller enemies very well. I think the UI and feedback changes that were made since the 1st game really went a long way to making the game less of a chore to play at times.

I will say though, I really dig how wide open some of the areas are and I love how aggressive some of the enemies can be compared to 3.

Finished tonight, 10 hours something.

Lovely, lovely game overall. Last area had me a few times but generally it was a nice and easy game to relax and play through. Gamepad controls were frustrating at times, and I don't think the mico-management of Pikmin with the three players works brilliantly, its fiddly to use. Nothing game breaking but noticeable.

Will give the mission modes a play through at some point in the future but no rush at the moment.

Favourite Pikmin for me were probably the Flying or Rock dudes, the former being incredibly handy and the latter being hard as.. well rock :)

zlCfzRGRRuQ4nVz_9u

Berg

Tried looking, but nothing...

Does anyone elses Pikmin 3 icon constantly blink?
Usually when you download a game, it will blink blue until you start it.
Pikmin 3 won't stop blinking and I've played it 20 or so times.

Great game. Really enjoying the story and bingo battles!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Tried looking, but nothing...

Does anyone elses Pikmin 3 icon constantly blink?
Usually when you download a game, it will blink blue until you start it.
Pikmin 3 won't stop blinking and I've played it 20 or so times.

Great game. Really enjoying the story and bingo battles!

I believe the blue blinking is the Wii U version of having a blue dot on a 3DS icon. Namely: SpotPass data downloaded and waiting. I think Pikmin 3 uses this to power its leaderboards. So yeah it'll basically be blue every day forever, or until they stop updating leaderboards.

Kunan

The game specifically states that you need to have them at the onion or in your squad. Took me a few days until I risked staying out as a squad, but it does say it. Also, there is the unsafe pikmin counter that makes it obvious.

They probably should have hammered it home a bit more, because my overprotective tendencies were blinding me from allowing myself to do it for a few days. If it went any longer, I would have likely forgotten.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The game specifically states that you need to have them at the onion or in your squad. Took me a few days until I risked staying out as a squad, but it does say it. Also, there is the unsafe pikmin counter that makes it obvious.

They probably should have hammered it home a bit more, because my overprotective tendencies were blinding me from allowing myself to do it for a few days. If it went any longer, I would have likely forgotten.

You really have to just actively ignore the interface in order to not understand it, too. Maybe in Pikmin 1 or 2, but in 3 here they show that "not-safe Pikmin" counter at the top of the screen near the end of every day. They insert it with such fanfare! And the individual not-safe types are at the top of the GamePad! Requires willful ignorance, really.

Darryl

Banned
this game is just not for me. at the end of the day i couldn't find where my pikmin carrying stuff was. looked everywhere. they didn't get any of the stuff to the ship and lost 50 :( pikmin. they had half a day to bring that stuff back, i didn't think they could get lost. frustrating

this game is just not for me. at the end of the day i couldn't find where my pikmin carrying stuff was. looked everywhere. they didn't get any of the stuff to the ship and lost 50 :( pikmin. they had half a day to bring that stuff back, i didn't think they could get lost. frustrating

It's possible that if you don't have a bridge built they will try to bring things over the bridge and wait there until you complete the structure. Other than that, I can't think of any instances where pikmin get "lost".

Darryl

Banned
It's possible that if you don't have a bridge built they will try to bring things over the bridge and wait there until you complete the structure. Other than that, I can't think of any instances where pikmin get "lost".

i don't think there were any locations where there wasn't a bridge built. i paused at the last second and looked over the map 2-3 times to look for them and couldn't see them. i wish i had watched a replay but i was already frustrated and didn't think about it.

LOCK

i don't think there were any locations where there wasn't a bridge built. i paused at the last second and looked over the map 2-3 times to look for them and couldn't see them. i wish i had watched a replay but i was already frustrated and didn't think about it.

Did they tell you they were dying? If one of the captains tells you that, some monster is having a feast.

If not, they probably got stuck at a bridge or obstacle.

They waited for you and you let them DIE...SO HORRIBLE :(

jk

I believe you, but I wouldn't give up on the game over it. That should be a very freak occurrence. I got all the fruit and I never had any problems with the pathfinding.

There's also a weird thing with berries and bridge pieces, where pikmin go back to the berries or original location of the bridge pieces rather than waiting for you at the onion. Could that have been it?

D-e-f-

Banned
I believe you, but I wouldn't give up on the game over it. That should be a very freak occurrence. I got all the fruit and I never had any problems with the pathfinding.

There's also a weird thing with berries and bridge pieces, where pikmin go back to the berries or original location of the bridge pieces rather than waiting for you at the onion. Could that have been it?

Which, by the way, is also a thing the game explicitly tells you.

I love using the Wii-remote, nunchuck and Gamepad together.

I feel as though a Metroid Prime game would be amazing using this setup. Imagine if Samus' ship was almost like a secondary character for Samus to control, using the 'go here' function from Pikmin 3.

D-e-f-

Banned
I love using the Wii-remote, nunchuck and Gamepad together.

I feel as though a Metroid Prime game would be amazing using this setup. Imagine if Samus' ship was almost like a secondary character for Samus to control, using the 'go here' function from Pikmin 3.

=O

Couldn't you call-in your ship for some sort of missile barrage in Corruption? Or am I imagining things? This could be even more fleshed out. They could even give your some kind of companion character (could just be a mute robot for all I care) that you could order around to set up traps or use as a scout-camera like these military drone things (most recently seen in Splinter Cell Blacklist)

=O

Couldn't you call-in your ship for some sort of missile barrage in Corruption? Or am I imagining things? This could be even more fleshed out. They could even give your some kind of companion character (could just be a mute robot for all I care) that you could order around to set up traps or use as a scout-camera like these military drone things (most recently seen in Splinter Cell Blacklist)

Yeah you could do that in MP3.
To go even crazier, what if Samus's suit could function on its own? So you could send the suit to a location to attack enemies, and then stealthily travel as Zero Suit Samus to go fulfil whatever objective.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah you could do that in MP3.
To go even crazier, what if Samus's suit could function on its own? So you could send the suit to a location to attack enemies, and then stealthily travel as Zero Suit Samus to go fulfil whatever objective.

Did you maybe just watch Iron Man 3? lol

Oidisco

I'm trying to think of some challenge runs to do on my next few playthroughs. There's the obvious ones like "Don't lose a single Pikmin" and finish the game as fast as possible with 100% fruit, but can you guys think of any other ones to make things more interesting? I'm thinking limiting the numer of Pikmin I can use to 50, but that's not very interesting to me.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm trying to think of some challenge runs to do on my next few playthroughs. There's the obvious ones like "Don't lose a single Pikmin" and finish the game as fast as possible with 100% fruit, but can you guys think of any other ones to make things more interesting? I'm thinking limiting the numer of Pikmin I can use to 50, but that's not very interesting to me.

Hmm tough one. You try to limit yourself by only ever having ONE reserve of juice left and trying to get all Pikmin types before you gather all fruit.

Deku Tree

How do I open up the stages in Mission Mode?

I have completed the game. So far I can do all the "Boss Battles". But Mission Mode only allows me to do one "Collect Treasure" mode and only one "Battle Enemies" Mode.

Thanks!

D-e-f-

Banned

I have completed the game. So far I can do all the "Boss Battles". But Mission Mode only allows me to do one "Collect Treasure" mode and only one "Battle Enemies" Mode.

Thanks!

Well, have you PLAYED any missions yet? I would assume you play a stage and unlock the next one.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Thanks!

If you get a medal in the first stage it will unlock the next one. And so on.

Not sure if this is a common problem, but my game won't let me play with the wii remote. I am allowed to switch controls as well as open the menu, but I can't hit any other buttons or move around with the control stick. Is there a way to fix this? I know my remote works because I can use it on the rest of the Wii U just fine.

Out of boredom/interest I tried out some of the mission modes. Seems I suck at Battle Enemies, but I'm better at Collect Treasure. Wish there were more missions where you didn't have to multitask, like the first Collect Treasure mission. That's the part I suck at.

Blues1990

I'm trying to get my sister to play the game co-cooperatively with me. If you pardon the pun, it's been fruitless, as she claims that it looks needlessly complicated.

Well, here's hoping that my friends are willing to give it a shot.

Fought the last boss with a group of friends last night.... The boss had about 3/10 of his health left so I just sent all 100 of my Pikmin into battle after my friends begged me to end the game with a bang......What a huge mistake. I lost like 80 Pikimin. All I had left was rock Pikmin to end the battle. Haha Overall, the game was lovely though.

Boogiepop

I just "beat" the game. It was a lot of fun, and there's definitely a lot to love about it. Though a few things are bugging me. Like... why can't it be a new game+ instead of me just apparently having to go back to the day where I beat the last boss and then find the rest of the fruit (I think)? Also, unless I'm missing something... why no Piklopedia or White/Purple Pikmin in Story Mode? Oh well, the bosses were all awesome, the final boss in particular, and it was a great sequel that I'm not leaving feeling let down, which is cool considering I've been anticipating the thing for almost a decade.

Anyway, guess I'll take a break for the rest of the way and then start rounding up the remaining fruit and then trying Mission Mode tomorrow.

Is there a way to have bingo mode working with one person on the TV and the other on the gamepad? So the second player can have an entire TV?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just "beat" the game. It was a lot of fun, and there's definitely a lot to love about it. Though a few things are bugging me. Like... why can't it be a new game+ instead of me just apparently having to go back to the day where I beat the last boss and then find the rest of the fruit (I think)? Also, unless I'm missing something... why no Piklopedia or White/Purple Pikmin in Story Mode?

I think the game structure is intended to encourage going back and continually tightening your performance to inch upwards on the global leaderboard. Basically once you get good at the game you can go back to a prior point in the story and start over from there, finishing up a lot faster. I believe your previous best time is saved on the leaderboard, so if you like you can just start over on day 1 to optimize your entire run.

The koppad does function much as Pikilopedia did, but it is definitely a missed opportunity to have a beastiary which you fill in yourself using the koppad camera. That would have been perfect.

That's what puts the challenge in challenge mode.

The disparity between Story mode and Mission mode's difficulty is huge. There are a few Missions where I struggle to even get Gold, yet Story mode was laid back the whole time. Pretty much every obstacle in Story mode you can defeat by just coming back with more pikmin, but Mission mode forces the most cutthroat, split-second multi-tasking,

I just got my first Platinum on one of the Missions, and I barely got it with seconds left. I don't think I'll even go for all the Platinums.

Top Bottom