• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

daakusedo

There really is a 10 days all fruits run.
It uses wall glitch to go alone in areas accessible with two or three captains, I didn't paid attention enough to know if without those glitches you can still make it in 10 days though.

I initially wasn't a fan of the Pikmin series due to the 1st games 30 day limit. I skipped 2 and never thought about the series again until my 4 year old son discovered Pikmin Adventure on Nintendo Land. Since he got into that game I felt obligated to join him in Co-op on it and surprisingly we both had a blast.

I just bought and started Pikmin 3 for my son and I and have a few questions regarding the stockpiling of fruit and how save files work. My son has trouble getting very far(though he still has fun) he gets to about day 4 and runs out of fruit completely. He then has to go back one day to gather fruit again. This will probably mean that I will have to play the game through so many days to stockpile enough fruit to where my son can progress at a reasonable clip without running out of fruit.

I admit that I haven't delved into the game for me yet, though from what I have played for my son I am having a lot of fun. Okay, first question, can I play the game under my Mii login and transfer my save file to his game through his login? This would be alot easier on me as I could enjoy the game for me and whatever progress and fruit I had gathered could be transferred to my sons file. I just hate thinking about playing 2 save files as it might get monotonous after awhile.

Next question about fruits and progressing through the game. How many days do I need to get through to really start stockpiling/hording fruit? So far I have gotten to day 3 and 4 and roughly 3 or 4 new areas. I truly only have scratched the surface with this game and I have yet to explore all my strategies or options while playing the game. Forgive this newb question, but besides backtracking a day to gather fruit once you've run out, can you backtrack to previous areas you've already explored once you've completed the mission from that area? If so do fruits regrow or appear randomly in that area. That might be a game breaker but I have yet to try it. One last question, and this may be a spoiler, so feel free to mark it as such, but what modes or options do you get once you beat the game one time through?

After I play through the single player I am going to delve into the co-op missions and Bingo with my son so hopefully there is a lot of meaty content in those as well. Thanks in advance for reading through my long winded post and for whatever responses I may get.

Cool Kid

Neo Member
I admit that I haven't delved into the game for me yet, though from what I have played for my son I am having a lot of fun. Okay, first question, can I play the game under my Mii login and transfer my save file to his game through his login? This would be alot easier on me as I could enjoy the game for me and whatever progress and fruit I had gathered could be transferred to my sons file. I just hate thinking about playing 2 save files as it might get monotonous after awhile.
I'm almost positive that saves are tied to the accounts they were created on, sorry.

Next question about fruits and progressing through the game. How many days do I need to get through to really start stockpiling/hording fruit? So far I have gotten to day 3 and 4 and roughly 3 or 4 new areas. I truly only have scratched the surface with this game and I have yet to explore all my strategies or options while playing the game. Forgive this newb question, but besides backtracking a day to gather fruit once you've run out, can you backtrack to previous areas you've already explored once you've completed the mission from that area? If so do fruits regrow or appear randomly in that area. That might be a game breaker but I have yet to try it. One last question, and this may be a spoiler, so feel free to mark it as such, but what modes or options do you get once you beat the game one time through?
It really depends on how good of a player you are, how well you know the areas, etc. It's possible to have almost twenty days worth of fruit by the end of day 3. Assuming that's out of reach you can create a 2-3 day juice buffer each day without too much trouble.

Fruit does not grow or spawn randomly; there is a set amount of fruit in each area, and each piece is deliberately placed. Fruit keeps it's position between days though, so if you can't finish carrying a piece back one day, it will be in the exact spot you left it when you start up the next. On a related note bosses will retain damage between days if you're ever unable to finish a fight with the time you're given.

Defeating each boss unlocks a mission to defeat them in challenge mode. There's no NG+, but locations on the map remain explored when you start up previous days.

I'm almost positive that saves are tied to the accounts they were created on, sorry.

It really depends on how good of a player you are, how well you know the areas, etc. It's possible to have almost twenty days worth of fruit by the end of day 3. Assuming that's out of reach you can create a 2-3 day juice buffer each day without too much trouble.

Fruit does not grow or spawn randomly; there is a set amount of fruit in each area, and each piece is deliberately placed. Fruit keeps it's position between days though, so if you can't finish carrying a piece back one day, it will be in the exact spot you left it when you start up the next. On a related note bosses will retain damage between days if you're ever unable to finish a fight with the time you're given.

Defeating each boss unlocks a mission to defeat them in challenge mode. There's no NG+, but locations on the map remain explored when you start up previous days.

Thanks for clarifying things. Sounds like I should complete single player and enjoy it for me first, then unlock all the bosses for challenge mode so my son and I can fully enjoy Co-op Challenge mode together.

Since I skipped out on Pikmin 2 does anyone know if it's worth it to go back to that game for the Challenge Co-op mode alone?

Blues1990

I'm thoroughly enjoying Pikmin 3 right now, and I'm equally obsessed with the in-game camera feature.
I do feel sorry for Louie, though. The poor dude wasn't informed from Alph & co. that they had saved him, so it's only understandable why he had bailed & stole all of their food. Also, Olimar is an asshole.

The only thing that irks me is that my two favourite types (the White & Purple Pikmin) have lost most of their abilities, which makes using them in the mission mode completely pointless. In the chance that Pikmin 3 does get some sort of campaign DLC, I hope that their abilities will be restored, while beefing the enemies to compensate for their strengths.

D-e-f-

Banned
Since I skipped out on Pikmin 2 does anyone know if it's worth it to go back to that game for the Challenge Co-op mode alone?

No. Pikmin 3 just plays so much better and you get a more refined game in the one you already have. Only go back if at the end you're REALLY crazy into Pikmin all of a sudden and just need new stuff. Though you might just want to hold out for the DLC announcement (gotta be coming soon).

The only thing that irks me is that my two favourite types (the White & Purple Pikmin) have lost most of their abilities, which makes using them in the mission mode completely pointless. In the chance that Pikmin 3 does get some sort of campaign DLC, I hope that their abilities will be restored, while beefing the enemies to compensate for their strengths.

They're not pointless, they're just scaled down to simple support units. The speed advantage of the Whites and the strength of the Purples are very much still a part of your strategy options.

JoeFu

Banned
Just posting to bump thread/ say how much I love the staff credits. I really don't know why, but I can't stop listening to the music. Love when the pikmin start singing.

Wish there was a way to watch it without the staff text. So many awesome looking things to take pictures of during the ending sequence.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They're not pointless, they're just scaled down to simple support units. The speed advantage of the Whites and the strength of the Purples are very much still a part of your strategy options.

Yup, absolutely this. Mission mode would be very different if you couldn't carry three apples back with three purple pikmin, or trust one purple to dig up and carry back whatever might be buried under the snow.

Kjellson

Anybody got any tips for the final area? I played some bits of it before but had to quit because I fucked up and got too stressed.

D-e-f-

Banned
Anybody got any tips for the final area? I played some bits of it before but had to quit because I fucked up and got too stressed.

Split up. Distract.
Just got there myself. Dat sound lol. Not gonna do this tonight. Nope. I'll already have nightmares.

Coconut

Banned
Just posting to bump thread/ say how much I love the staff credits. I really don't know why, but I can't stop listening to the music. Love when the pikmin start singing.

Wish there was a way to watch it without the staff text. So many awesome looking things to take pictures of during the ending sequence.

Honestly I hated the credits.

Xun

I finished with 1300 dead pikmin. Which I thought was pretty darn low considering I'd throw rock pikmin into the water just to watch the struggle.
What the fuck man? You monster.

My heart skips a beat when one of my poor babies dies. :(

Yagharek

So, about six months ago I played and finished Pikmin (NPC Wii) for the first time ever. Amazing game, phenomenal even with the time pressure. Such a beautiful style of game and even in a world with two sequels (!!) it still feels fresh in amongst today's environment.

I finished Pikmin 3 within the first two weeks since it came out here, loved it and the multi-tasking aspect of the game is genius in its implementation and how it changes the balance of the daily duties.

"So, I suppose I should try Pikmin 2" was what I said after finishing Pikmin 3, and currently I am about 15 hours into it. Got all the treasure in the first two worlds, currently delving into the underground bits in the third level, and have already 'paid off the debt'.

Thoroughly enjoying Pikmin 2 - but the thing that stands out to me is that all 3 games feel unique and relevant on their own. None of them have been made redundant by the existence of a successor. Pikmin still feels new and has a wonderful sense of discovery after playing Pikmin 2. Pikmin 2 has a great sense of risk/reward and caution in the underground caves, as well as a nice way to send your two units across the map working on two independent objectives.

In comparison, Pikmin 3 is like a veritable orchestra, with you as the conductor and able to do all the things Pikmin 1 and 2 let you, only with a lot more control over how to plan the day.

It's very rare for me to play a series where it retains relevant at every entry, despite the arrival of a new and improved follow up. Well worth playing all of them I say.

And as if it needs stating: Louie is the star of the show.

Rehynn

Finally got the game.

I'm at the first Distant Tundra mission, where Brittany gets separated from Alph - again.

I've tried building the bridges 3 times so far, I've sunk rougly 90 minutes into the level, but the time always runs out before I can finish the bridges.

The Pikmin going back to where the bridge tiles originally were once the bridge is done is a terrible design choice, what exactly is the point of having to stay there with a captain to wait for them to finish? Especially on such a large and complex map, it's just a waste of time.

Multi-tasking using the GamePad is great, but the Pikmin always get in trouble, get stuck somewhere, and going back and saving/collecting every one of them is just a frustrating chore, especially with a timer.

TL;DR: It's been years since I've been so frustrated with a game, it's just no fun at this point, fuck Distant Tundra.

Tom_Cody

Finally got the game.

I'm at the first Distant Tundra mission, where Brittany gets separated from Alph - again.

I've tried building the bridges 3 times so far, I've sunk rougly 90 minutes into the level, but the time always runs out before I can finish the bridges.

The Pikmin going back to where the bridge tiles originally were once the bridge is done is a terrible design choice, what exactly is the point of having to stay there with a captain to wait for them to finish? Especially on such a large and complex map, it's just a waste of time.

Multi-tasking using the GamePad is great, but the Pikmin always get in trouble, get stuck somewhere, and going back and saving/collecting every one of them is just a frustrating chore, especially with a timer.

TL;DR: It's been years since I've been so frustrated with a game, it's just no fun at this point, fuck Distant Tundra.
Just take 2 days to do it.

Rehynn

Just take 2 days to do it.

How? Can I just leave Brittany behind (I always restarted the day before it ended in failure)? How am I supposed to know that? The mission intro implies that the object is to reunite her with Alph, and there is no hint that it's OK not to do it.

How? Can I just leave Brittany behind (I always restarted the day before it ended in failure)? How am I supposed to know that? The mission intro implies that the object is to reunite her with Alph, and there is no hint that it's OK not to do it.

So you expected it to end in failure but you were to impatient to actually see how it ends after the day passed? :D

Rehynn

So you expected it to end in failure but you were to impatient to actually see how it ends after the day passed? :D

There were always 20+ Pikmin with Brittany, and the game saves automatically, so I'm not going to risk losing that many Pikmin. Alph and co. were still out doing stuff and things too.

I really hate trial & error design, so I'm not one to just wait and see what happens if I fail what I think (and what the game implies) the main objective is.

There were always 20+ Pikmin with Brittany, and the game saves automatically, so I'm not going to risk losing that many Pikmin. Alph and co. were still out doing stuff and things too.

I really hate trial & error design, so I'm not one to just wait and see what happens if I fail what I think (and what the game implies) the main objective is.

You will not lose Pikmin if a captain controls it. and you don't have to return to the ship with them. ever

Also, the game saves, but you can restart from any previous day and no one will ever know.

Alpha_eX

All you need to do at the end of the day is whistle your pikmin so they're following you, not put them back in the onion.

If you read the manual, it says you can go back and play the day again.

Particular mission is quite easy if you know where the bridge tiles are.

Alastor3

I haven't played pikmin in years, should I start with the first one or just jump directly to the second game ? If I play the first one, will the second game feel redundant ?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I haven't played pikmin in years, should I start with the first one or just jump directly to the second game ? If I play the first one, will the second game feel redundant ?

All 3 games have ended up being reasonably different experiences.

Pikmin 2 is much more of an adventure game with dungeon crawling elements compared to Pikmin 1.

Pikmin 3 is more like the first game in very general concept but is executed much differently. I think Pikmin 1 couldn't hurt to play through again, it's not very long and may act as a primer for the general game mechanics.

It saves automatically but you can always go back to any prior day. Just live with your mistakes. The game will tell you if you really did something wrong.

I have the manual here in front of me, and nowhere does it say anything about ending the day. Also, I've played Pikmin 2.

It tells you within the game itself. Well.. if you read the notes. I guess not enough handholding this time. ^^

D-e-f-

Banned
I have the manual here in front of me, and nowhere does it say anything about ending the day. Also, I've played Pikmin 2.

Persistence has been a thing with the series from the first game onwards. Let me blow your mind: even damage you do to a boss carries over into the next day. There's also tooltips when you land every time and a more expansive explanation of these very things.

It tells you within the game itself. Well.. if you read the notes. I guess not enough handholding this time. ^^

Someone page Mark MacDonald!

Calamari41

41 > 38

There are only two tips you really need. The first is to take your time. Go back later if you want to speed run, but there's no need to stress out as long as you take advantage of the second tip: wherever you are, look for a route that will let you go in a big loop. Use the "Go To Location" feature to send Brittany in circles while the rest of the squad explores and figures out what to do. You can ignore Brittany until someone says "Oh no!" or a variant thereof. There will be plenty of time to switch to her and tell her to go around to the other side of the loop. You might want to even keep her at the first loop the entire time; this keeps your main squad out of harm's way, and you won't accidentally lose any Pikmin.

The only difficulty I had was figuring out what exactly I was supposed to be doing in the first area, but on the second day of attempting I realized that it actually tells you what you need to accomplish right at the start when you enter the tree.

I'm kind of with you on this. I only discovered the whole "you don't need to be at the ship" mechanic one day when I was making an absolute mad dash back to the ship with a small squad, missed the circle by a split second, but then realized that I didn't lose any Pikmin. Don't be afraid to try something risky and screw up. If you get burned and lose too much time, or lose a huge chunk of Pikmin, you can always restart from an earlier day.

Rehynn

Persistence has been a thing with the series from the first game onwards. Let me blow your mind: even damage you do to a boss carries over into the next day. There's also tooltips when you land every time and a more expansive explanation of these very things.

Yeah, I knew that.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I do try to read all the notes, but since the majority of them is about stuff I already know from the previous game, I've been skipping them.

Alastor3

All 3 games have ended up being reasonably different experiences.

Pikmin 2 is much more of an adventure game with dungeon crawling elements compared to Pikmin 1.

Pikmin 3 is more like the first game in very general concept but is executed much differently. I think Pikmin 1 couldn't hurt to play through again, it's not very long and may act as a primer for the general game mechanics.

Thanks a lot for the response !

I think I'm at the end of the game (I unlocked the last area without any fruit) but I don't want it to end so I'm backtracking the other areas collecting all the fruits (I'm at 51/66).
Do you think they'll make a DLC for this game? Imho they should. Just a new are with 10/15 fruits in it, I don't even need a story (even though some easter egg would be nice).
Also what's to do after I reach the 100% completion mark and finish the game? Is the multiplayer worth it? Anyway with 101 coming I don't think I'll play it much more.

Top Bottom