• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Renekun

Neo Member
Hey yall, I just wanted to ask, how do I get the
100% ending? Do I just need to get all the fruit? Just making sure I don't miss anything.
Yes, that's what you need to do to see the best ending.
All 66 fruits. Since you can see them on your map, that task will not be too difficult. ;)

Yes, that's what you need to do to see the best ending.
All 66 fruits. Since you can see them on your map, that task will not be too difficult. ;)
Okay Thanks!
Just finished all the fruit in the Garden of Hope. Onto Topical Wilds, which I apparantly only have four in...

Atleast it seems possible to 100% this game without it being too hard. Pikmin 2 100% seems impossible.

Just got the game recently, and it's truly fantastic. But WTF is up with the gamepad controls? I normally play with Wiimote/nunchuk, but tried playing off-tv in bed, and holy shit, are these controls garbage. Let me get this straight, you move your character with the left analog stick AND you aim your pikmin with the same analog stick? How am I supposed to walk and aim independently? I only played this series on Wii, so I don't know if this is how it controlled on GameCube. But honestly, wow. Disgustingly bad for me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just got the game recently, and it's truly fantastic. But WTF is up with the gamepad controls? I normally play with Wiimote/nunchuk, but tried playing off-tv in bed, and holy shit, are these controls garbage. Let me get this straight, you move your character with the left analog stick AND you aim your pikmin with the same analog stick? How am I supposed to walk and aim independently? I only played this series on Wii, so I don't know if this is how it controlled on GameCube. But honestly, wow. Disgustingly bad for me.

They're more or less the Gamecube controls. I think if you'd never played the Wii versions first, it might have seemed odd at first but after a while you can adapt. The way lock-on functions in Pikmin 3 when using gamepad controls helps a lot.

But yeah it's very jarring if you play with IR pointing first.

rawktapus

has anyone managed a no death run yet? I have no idea how anyone can get past
the gold blob boss
without losing any.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this game.

Can you play off tv and use the wii remote, or Wii pro controller like other games?
it is indeed possible to play this way.

Amikami

Banned
the gold blob boss
without losing any.

There's the one guy on youtube who did a 10 day run with no deaths. Insane.

I think there was a guy on gaf who managed to get no deaths. Can't remember who. Takes a lot of patience and restarts but it's possible. It's about getting the strategy down with a few experiment runs and then do it for real.

Madouu

the gold blob boss
without losing any.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78211013&postcount=3923

There's also somebody on Miiverse who posted a 100% run without any deaths I think. It's in the most rated posts.

Personally I'm still catching up to all of you guys, I just got the
cellphone
with about 28 fruits or so. I am loving the game, even the dialogue is full of charm. I laughed at the one time Charlie gets to write on the ship's journal haha.

Puzzles are pretty tightly designed, and the pacing has been nice so far. Every time I land in a new zone I feel a bit overwhelmed at first but the gamepad helps a lot with learning your environment, finding fruits and planning your next move. Of course right as I start to get used to the zone I'm in, another one gets unlocked keeping things fresh.

D-e-f-

Banned

The following might help you:

Can you play off tv and use the wii remote, or Wii pro controller like other games?

Yes, you can use the Wiimote&Nunchuk in Off-TV Play. Sensor Bar on the GamePad FTW.

The following might help you:

Yes, you can use the Wiimote&Nunchuk in Off-TV Play. Sensor Bar on the GamePad FTW.

Hmm I might try that. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having off tv play, which for me is getting to enjoy games in the comfort of my bed before going to sleep. If i have to set up the gamepad as a tv and then sit up right and use wiimote/nunchuk, I might as well just play on my TV, at that point.

I just wish there was a way to have camera control be with the gamepad motion sensor, with pikmin aiming controlled with the right analog stick. I was shocked when I realized aiming and movement is with the same stick. Nintendo is usually so on point with their control schemes, makes me wonder WTF happened here.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hmm I might try that. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having off tv play, which for me is getting to enjoy games in the comfort of my bed before going to sleep. If i have to set up the gamepad as a tv and then sit up right and use wiimote/nunchuk, I might as well just play on my TV, at that point.

I just wish there was a way to have camera control be with the gamepad motion sensor, with pikmin aiming controlled with the right analog stick. I was shocked when I realized aiming and movement is with the same stick. Nintendo is usually so on point with their control schemes, makes me wonder WTF happened here.

Agreed. I find it mind-boggling as well. I complained about that in their post-play survey. At least give us the option to use one or the other. Would be nice for casual Off-TV Play as high-level play is pretty much only possible with the Wiimote.

You guys do realize that you can aim without moving the character, playing gamepad only...

Jesus the thread title should have been Pikmin 3 |OT| READ THE MANUAL!

But if you have Motion+ you don't need the sensor bar right. That is confusing, I thought Motion+ worked with the IR.

I play a lot of off tv but with the Pro Controller, actually now NSMBU lets you but no sound comes off the gamepad.

I play Sonic ASRT, CoD BO2, AC 3. BTW I need another Gamepad, to keep as a replacement just in case. My kids also use the system.

Could a 7 and 8 year old play pikmin 3 and W101 (very easy)?

D-e-f-

Banned
But if you have Motion+ you don't need the sensor bar right. That is confusing, I thought Motion+ worked with the IR.

I play a lot of off tv but with the Pro Controller, actually now NSMBU lets you but no sound comes off the gamepad.

I play Sonic ASRT, CoD BO2, AC 3. BTW I need another Gamepad, to keep as a replacement just in case. My kids also use the system.

Could a 7 and 8 year old play pikmin 3 and W101 (very easy)?

Wiimote (regular) relies entirely on the sensor bar
Wiimote plus only uses it sporadically to say "oh hi, there you are" so you technically don't need it most of the time but it's better if it's there.

Since you mentioned codblops2, that also lets you play Off-TV with Wiimote and Nunchuk.

And yes, of course a 7/8 year old could play Pikmin or TW101. Though be aware that TW101 is rated T (or 12 in EU). In terms of difficulty, a kid that age can play anything. You need only look at the NES-days when kids held games but Zelda 1, 2, Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads in high esteem.

You guys do realize that you can aim without moving the character, playing gamepad only...

Jesus the thread title should have been Pikmin 3 |OT| READ THE MANUAL!

Of course. Doesn't change the fact that it's incredibly unintuitive and should be only one option of two stick layouts.

I started a second run, and I'm on Day 11 with something like 23 fruit. I was going to shoot for under thirty days (like the original!), but while I'm playing, I'm in awe that someone did it all in ten days, I have to sit down and watch one of those videos sometime...

man where in seven hells is the Pikmin 3 Iwata Asks? I can only wait patiently for so long!

I'd really like this as well.

Blues1990

Does anybody know when the Pikmin animated shorts are supposed to debut? I've heard that they we're supposed to be released shortly before the launch of Pikmin 3, but it's nearly been a month since the launch of that game and I'm worried that they might've been forgotten.

NEO0MJ

So I want some suggestions for a boss

I just reached the boss that's a giant Landwalker with its weakpoint hiding in a crystal on top, which we fight in a muddy arena. What's the best way to fight it? I'm scared of it =(

D-e-f-

Banned
So I want some suggestions for a boss

I just reached the boss that's a giant Landwalker with its weakpoint hiding in a crystal on top, which we fight in a muddy arena. What's the best way to fight it? I'm scared of it =(

you're close to the end. you don't need yellows, blues. you make a choice between winged, rock and red (the latter for damage, rock for resistance to stomps and to break the crystal at the beginning) and then you make use of your spray! have a lot of spray ready and lock+on charge everything. go for the feet to make it fall over, then charge that flower thing with everything you got. and spray spray spray!

NEO0MJ

you're close to the end. you don't need yellows, blues. you make a choice between winged, rock and red (the latter for damage, rock for resistance to stomps and to break the crystal at the beginning) and then you make use of your spray! have a lot of spray ready and lock+on charge everything. go for the feet to make it fall over, then charge that flower thing with everything you got. and spray spray spray!

But approaching it is terrifying! Plus it doesn't need the stomp to kill Rock Pikmin, all it needs to do is drown them with its feet.
Anyways, gonna charge on spray and raise the number of Rock Pikmin in the onion. I already broke the crystal on its back.

D-e-f-

Banned
But approaching it is terrifying! Plus it doesn't need the stomp to kill Rock Pikmin, all it needs to do is drown them with its feet.
Anyways, gonna charge on spray and raise the number of Rock Pikmin in the onion. I already broke the crystal on its back.
You could also just try going in with flyers only since you broke the crystal already.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My first Pikmin ever and I beat it yesterday. Quite simply one of the freshest and most beautiful experience I've ever had. I was hooked right till the end and everything felt extremely satisfying. Despite a lack of trophies/achievements, I still collected every fruit.

so for anyone that played this game and loved it. go play wonderful 101. the game is awesome and needs support. its not a 100% pikmin clone but it features very similar gameplay with a dmc, bayonetta esque action side added to it.

NEO0MJ

You could also just try going in with flyers only since you broke the crystal already.

I see. Thanks for the tip.

so for anyone that played this game and loved it. go play wonderful 101. the game is awesome and needs support. its not a 100% pikmin clone but it features very similar gameplay with a dmc, bayonetta esque action side added to it.

Us yanks are still waiting for it :(

D-e-f-

Banned

Weirdly misleading. The Pikmin part is entirely superficial and the entire core of the game is the "dmc, bayonetta"-part. They're really not comparable at all. However, people should still buy that game in droves because it's just awesome.

7wZjKca.jpg

Just ran into this gif and was reminded of that horrible event in Pikmin 3 ;_;

jnWake

I had never played Pikmin before so I recently bought Pikmin 2. Now I'm in love with the franchise, too bad I can't find Pikmin 1 anywhere ;_;

Are the fish that shoot missiles back in Pikmin 3? I strongly hate them.

Mistle

What an incredible game. Just beat that slug boss in the sand (sorry for the horrible description haha).
This is one of the finest crafted and best looking games I've ever played, IMO. Everything feels so perfect.

What an incredible game. Just beat that slug boss in the sand (sorry for the horrible description haha).
This is one of the finest crafted and best looking games I've ever played, IMO. Everything feels so perfect.

I completly agree-it's easily my game of the year. It's such a great change of pace from every other game out there.

I'm on the last level-and I'm shamed of how many Pikmin I've lost. :(. Poor little guys.

D-e-f-

Banned

Why not just say the penis monster that tries to suck you into its hole? Everybody would instantly know which one that is :p

My daughter wants to be a Flying Pikmin for Halloween and she wants me to be Captain Charlie. Too bad they don't sell costumes!!

What happened to making a costume yourself? :)

NEO0MJ

My daughter wants to be a Flying Pikmin for Halloween and she wants me to be Captain Charlie. Too bad they don't sell costumes!!

Pics will be needed later!

I'm on the last level-and I'm shamed of how many Pikmin I've lost. :(. Poor little guys.

You have to stop caring for them, as much as it hurts. I originaly stoped playing Pikmin 2 years ago because I couldn't deal with death, not a problem any more =D

Plus, that log left by Olimar where he says he's somewhat afraid of Pikmin made me feel better about leaving them

Why not just say the penis monster that tries to suck you into its hole? Everybody would instantly know which one that is :p

I want pictures of it to show to friends, too bad I couldn't take some myself, and I don't want to visit the picture thread just yet.

Just picked this game up a few days ago and have been playing through it.

1. It really is as beautiful as the screenshots suggest
2. Co-op is super fun
3. Wiimote aiming is indeed superior
4. So goddam cute.

Calamari41

41 > 38
My moment of the young generation so far: marching up the branch at the beginning of the last level, with a thick sense of foreboding, and then all of my Pikmin start happily singing pieces of the main title theme.

My little bros.

So my daughter and I finished the game this morning, and she started crying when
The ship takes off and all the Pikmin run out and look up to watch and Olimar says "Goodbye my comrades!" She is completely heartbroken-I think she thought they would go back with the Captains.

She turned to me, sobbing, with tears in her eyes and said "Is there going to be a Pikmin 4??"

Top Bottom